Kodi is a piece of entertainment software that can help you access all kinds of streaming content, from movies to TV shows to songs. Kodi began in the early 2000s as an Xbox app called Xbox Media Player. In 2014, the XBMC Foundation changed their name to Kodi. Now, Kodi works on multiple platforms, such as iOS, Android, Windows, Amazon Fire, and more. You can also use Kodi onto Roku, but it takes a few clever tricks.
Some people are hesitant about using apps like Kodi onto their Roku device. Roku is one of the most popular streaming devices on the market right now. You can use it to stream content with an array of streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and so much more. It’s great for watching movies, listening to music, and more. But it isn’t the vast reservoir of media content that Kodi is.
Unfortunately, it’s harder to download apps like Kodi onto Roku than it is on Android or Windows. With Android, you can just download the app from the Google Play Store and get the app in a matter of seconds. To install Kodi on Roku it takes a few more steps because the app is not in Roku’s library. While it is a little bit of an inconvenience, the quality of Kodi will be higher on Roku than it would be on other devices like your smartphone.
This article will show you how to get Kodi on your Roku streaming stick. We will show you two easy ways to use Kodi on Roku using a technique called screencasting. We will also go into more detail about the utility of the Kodi acts and discuss how you can minimize the risks involved with streaming media content. The biggest issue that comes with streaming is copyright laws. While sometimes you can tell when you are pirating illegal content, sometimes it’s hard to tell if something is free or not. Using a VPN service can give you an extra layer of protection. Let’s take a closer look at Kodi. With these quick steps, you can access Kodi on your Roku device.
Step-by-step Guide to Installing Kodi on Roku
Most Roku models support screen mirroring. Roku 2 supports it on versions 5.6 or newer. Roku 3 models 4200 and 4230 also support it if it 5.6 or newer. You can also screencast with Roku 4400 with 5.6 or newer. You can also screencast with most Roku Sticks and Roku TV.
- Click the Home button on your Roku device’s remote. This will take you to the main menu. Navigate to the Settings. Click on System update. Make sure the system is updated. You need it to be version 5.6 or higher.
- Back in the Settings, navigate to Screen mirroring. Click Enable Screen Mirroring.
With these simple steps, you will now be able to screen mirror Kodi onto Roku.
Use Android Smart TV to Access Kodi on Roku
- You can now pair Roku with another device that has Kodi. Android is a good choice because you can download Kodi right from the Play Store. In your Android settings, go to Connections. If there is no section called Connections. It could be under a different name, such as Display, Network, Cast, Smart View, AllShare Cast, or HTC Connect. Every phone uses a different name it seems.
- Click on Screen mirroring.
- Click on Add Device. You will now be able to pick the device that you want to screencast to.
- Choose Roku as the device that you want to add. If both devices are using the same network, Roku will automatically show up as an option.
- Now launch the Kodi app on your smartphone and you will be able to screencast onto your Android-powered TV via Roku.
Using Windows PC to Access Kodi on Roku
Another easy option to screencast using your PC. This is perhaps the simplest way to get Kodi on your Roku device.
- Turn on your Windows PC.
- Now go into the Start menu.
- Search for Device Settings in the search bar.
- In Device Settings, hit Add Device.
- You will probably see a bunch of devices listed. Scroll down until you see Roku. When your click Roku, it will be added and now you’ll be able to screencast your PC to your Roku.
- You need to have Kodi installed on your PC, but this is easy to do. Go to the Windows Store.
- Search for Kodi and then click Get. You will now be able to install the app for free.
Once the app is installed, you can use the app on your PC and screencast it to your Roku device. It is as simple as that.
Using a VPN to Use Kodi with Roku
Kodi is an amazing piece of entertainment software. While the basic version is useful for storing your media content in one convenient location. You can stream pictures, music files, videos, TV shows, and more. You can even use it to make photo slideshows and to watch live TV streams.
There is a lot of versatility with this app. There a bunch of different add-ons you can incorporate into Kodi. Some of these official and some are not. Despite all of Kodi’s advantage, there is one major issue. Some of the content that is available with Kodi is pirated.
Kodi itself is completely legal and much of the content you can stream with it is legal as well. But some of the free content you can access will violate copyright laws. While this alone wouldn’t be a huge issue, governments are starting to crack down on copyright violations, largely because publishers and media organizations are lobbying them.
Without a VPN, your Internet Service Provider can see all of the content you stream, as well as all of the other activity you do online. They can also share this information with governmental agencies. Sometimes they don’t have much of a choice.
Using a VPN will let you hide your IP address and make it impossible for various parties to track your Internet activity. A VPN reroutes all your traffic to a remote server. This is incredibly useful. You can make it look like you are anywhere in the world, essentially allowing you to use the web anonymously.
Using Kodi with a VPN will allow you to stream content without having to worry about the government monitoring your activity. The consequences of illegal downloading can range from heavy fines to jail time, so even if the odds of being punished are low, it’s not worth risking a five-year prison sentence. The only way to use Kodi safely is to use a VPN. When using Kodi on a Roku streaming stick you want to go with a reputable VPN, such as ExpressVPN or NordVPN as they offer the greatest amount of privacy and anonymity.
If you follow all these steps, you will be able to safely use Kodi on Roku and access a vast library of video, audio, and visual media. Then, you will have thousands and thousands of hours of entertainment at the tip of your fingers.
Julie is a firm believer in equal rights for everyone. She is a traveler and blogger, focusing her efforts on exposing censorship and discrimination around the world. She wants to hold corrupt governments and shady companies accountable by writing investigative articles and helpful guides.