The internet has transcended the user viewing experience, whether you’ve consciously noticed its impact or not.
This progression has given rise to numerous platforms that share media with the general public. Some of these stream videos to provide a combination of entertainment and information.
A tool that’s emerged recently and gained popularity in various markets is Kodi, but what exactly is it?
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a media player that streams videos, enabling consumers to participate in a fantastic viewing experience.
It is a free piece of software designed for home entertainment, meaning viewers can enjoy sports, movies and TV shows at their own leisure.
Kodi was originally designed for Xbox, but it really took on a life of its own as the community aspect developed considerably.
Kodi has been continually updated over the years by elite teams of developers and translators. It has since taken many shapes and sizes, where you can now get your hands on Kodi TVs, Kodi Add-ons, Kodi boxes, and Kodi apps.
Kodi works on everything from smartphones to the Amazon Fire TV Stick, offering a level of compatibility that’s highly convenient. The latest version of Kodi will essentially turn any device into a digital set-top box.
Now we’ve given a background on what Kodi is, let’s delve a bit deeper into how to update Kodi.
How to update Kodi
Below we’ve broken down how to upgrade Kodi for various operating systems.
- Go to the official website for downloading Kodi
- Select MacOS
- Select Installer (64BIT)
- This will download the corresponding Kodi package
- Once downloaded you can open the package file
- Follow the on-screen instructions on the wizard and process installation
- Once installed, you can enjoy the latest version of Kodi on your Mac!
With Android, there are two versions to consider, either downloading from the Google Play Store or the official Kodi download website.
Method 1 – update from the Google Play Store
- Launch the Google Play Store on your device and log into your Google Play account
- Search for Kodi and observe the results listed
- If Kodi is already on your device you’ll see a list of available updates
- Click to update
- Install the latest version by following the on-screen instructions
Method 2 – update Kodi from the official website
- Navigate to the Kodi download website and press Android
- You’ll want to open the website directly so you can download the corresponding .apk file
- Select ARM version and pick either 32 bit or 64 bit, depending on what system you’re running
- This will download the .apk file on your device
- Follow the installation wizard and download Kodi on your device
- It will now be available for use!
For the Windows operating system, there are three methods for updating and installing the latest version of Kodi.
Though you won’t need to know them all, we’ve listed each method below so you can choose one which suits your individual needs and requirements.
Method 1 – Kodi update from the official website
- Visit the official downloading website for Kodi and select Windows
- Click installer and download the file
- Click the downloaded file and press Yes to continue, bringing up the Kodi setup
- Press Next to continue with setup
- Agree to the license agreement
- Unselect the components you don’t want to install and press Next
- Click Browse and select a location of your choice
- Click Install
- Wait for the installation process to finish and launch Kodi immediately afterward
Method 2 – get the latest Kodi version from the Microsoft Store
- Open the Microsoft Store app and search for Kodi
- Select Kodi and press Install
- Wait for the download to take place and press Launch
- You can now use Kodi on your computer!
Method 3 – install from the Kodi Repository
- Open Kodi
- Click Add-ons
- Click the Package icon
- Select Install from repository
- Click Kodi Add-on repository
- Select Program Add-ons
- Click Kodi Windows Installer
- Click Install from the list menu at the bottom
- Press Backspace after downloading Kodi to return to the homepage
- Select Add-ons
- Click Program Add-ons
- Select Kodi Windows Installer
- Select the latest version from the popup list and wait for the corresponding version of Kodi to download
- Go to the Kodi website and select Download
- Choose Linux from the platforms listed
- A window will pop up with a two version guide
- Choose the version that suits your individual preference
- Once you’ve executed your download you’ll need to enter the following line of code in the Linux Terminal:
- sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
- Once entered, the Kodi player will be available on your device
- It will then be predefined in the OS and you can enjoy Kodi at your leisure!
Amazon Fire Stick
Try one of the two methods detailing how to update Kodi on Firestick explained on this page: