An Amazon Fire Stick can turn any screen with an HDMI port into your very own home theater. However, it does come with some caveats – you may still experience restrictions based on your location. Let’s say you live in the US – you still won’t be able to view exclusive content from places like the UK or Japan.
Luckily that can be fixed with a simple solution – a VPN. But not every VPN will do the trick. You need something that is reliable and compatible with the Fire Stick. For this purpose I recommend NordVPN – they have a good track record of getting around geo-restrictions and a huge selection of servers to choose from.
Once NordVPN is installed, you’ll introduce yourself to the world of endless streaming with an extra layer of security. Sounds like a great deal? Continue reading to learn everything there is to know about installing NordVPN on a Fire Stick.
How to install NordVPN on Fire Stick
How to Install NordVPN on Fire Stick and Fire TV
NordVPN has a designated app for the Amazon Fire Stick, and you can get it on the Amazon app store. Additionally, you have to remember that 1st generation Amazon Fire Stick doesn’t support the VPN connection.
However, you can still use a VPN on a 1st generation Fire Stick by setting it up on your router. Alternatively, you can install the Android version of the NordVPN app on your Fire Stick with an APK.
Also, before following the guide below, remember to sign up for NordVPN. Pricing starts at just $3.09 a month, and you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Installing NordVPN through the Amazon app store
First, let’s start off with the simplest method of downloading the official app from the Amazon app store.
- Go to Amazon App Store.
- Download NordVPN app.
- After you install the app, click Open.
- If you don’t have a NordVPN app, click Sign Up. If you do, click Log In.
- On the app, select your chosen country and click Connect.
- You may see a couple of messages, asking you to confirm that you trust the app. Click OK, and, if needed mark a checkbox that says I trust this application.
- You can now enjoy all Amazon Firestick has to offer.
Installing the Android app with an APK
The second method involves using an APK from the NordVPN website to install the Andriod version of the app onto your device. Be advised that this method is mostly obsolete and rather difficult because it doesn’t work with the official Fire Stick remote.
- From the home screen, go to Settings > Device and scroll down until you find the Developer options.
- Enable the Apps from unknown sources and ADB debugging options.
- Go back to the home screen, search for the Downloader app and download it onto your device.
- Allow Downloader to access your files.
- In the Downloader app, enter the URL of the NordVPN APK. This will open a browser that will allow you to download and install the APK file.
- Return to the home page and go to Settings > Applications > Manage installed applications.
- Find the NordVPN app and launch it.
- This is where you’ll notice that the app is not supported by the official remote. You will either need to use a virtual remote with something like CetusPlay or Remote for Fire TV. Alternatively, you can use a Bluetooth mouse.
How to use NordVPN on a Fire Stick
The NordVPN Fire Stick app is slightly different from other versions of NordVPN – instead of a map, you choose what country to connect to from a list. This change is to accommodate a remote better, but you can use the APK version of the app if you’d prefer the map version. In any case, when you first start the app you will have to:
- Log in with an existing account or create a new account.
- Look through the security settings to see that everything is set up properly.
- Connect to the VPN by clicking Connect Now to have a location chosen automatically or pick a server yourself from the list below.
- You will get a prompt to accept the VPN connection. Click OK and you will be good to go.
Benefits of using NordVPN on a Fire Stick
There are many reasons to use a VPN with a Fire Stick. The most important one is access to geo-blocked content.
Streaming platforms like Netflix and Disney+ offer different content libraries in different countries. Meanwhile, others, like HBO and Hulu, are mostly unavailable outside the US. VPNs are a great way to solve this issue and get the most out of your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
NordVPN, our top provider, is excellent at bypassing geo-blocking and will allow you to stream any content you choose to. It has 5500+ servers in 59+ countries, and delivers the best connection speeds of any VPN on the market. Moreover, you get to use NordVPN’s SmartPlay feature that allows you to stream without any speed loss whatsoever.
While using a Fire Stick expands your streaming options, you should also consider your online privacy and security. Using apps like Kodi with unofficial addons can get you in trouble for copyright infringement or it can turn you into a target for hackers.
Luckily, a VPN for Amazon fire stick solves the security and privacy issue as well. A VPN connects you to the internet through a remote server anywhere else in the world and encrypts all your traffic. If you use your Firestick with a VPN enabled, everything you do will be completely hidden from your ISP and anyone else trying to spy on you.