Disclaimer: Affiliate links help us produce good content. Learn more.
Kodi is probably the world’s number one entertainment streaming app, allowing TV owners to turn their sets into portals, leading to a vast library of entertaining content. From the latest movies and TV shows to sports and classics, it’s all there for Kodi fans to enjoy.
However, it’s also vital to use Kodi safely. Kodi is regularly under attack from law enforcement bodies and copyright holders, so users should always keep their activity as private as possible – and that’s where Virtual Private Networks like NordVPN come in handy.
Does NordVPN work with Kodi?
NordVPN works perfectly with Kodi because it will mask your activities from ISPs and potential copyright holders while providing you with high-quality servers that will be fast enough to make buffering a thing of the past. The installation process can be tricky, but I will provide you with a couple of options and walk you through them step by step.
What makes a NordVPN Kodi combination so appealing?
NordVPN is one of the world’s leading VPNs, offering over 5400 servers, superfast speeds, 256-bit AES encryption, unbeatable IP leak protection, and plenty of additional features that make it easy to use, fast, and effective.
But it also offers specific benefits for Kodi users which sets it apart from the crowd. Zero logging and full anonymization mean that whatever you stream via Kodi boxes will remain confidential. So you can add whatever movie and TV libraries you prefer, and forget about falling victim to copyright enforcement. The same applies to sports events, such as English Premiere League fixtures or Test cricket.
The software used by NordVPN is totally suited to Kodi’s interface, with a seamless setup and the kind of client even entry-level users will be able to use.
So how can you set up NordVPN on Kodi? Let’s dive into the specifics and help you protect your streaming with the best VPN available.
How to install NordVPN on Kodi: a step by step guide
If you like the sound of using NordVPN for Kodi streaming, it’s not hard to create a working configuration. But you do have to follow certain steps in sequence. And if you make the wrong setup decisions, the quality of your protection may suffer, so try to get everything right.
Purchase a NordVPN subscription
Before doing anything else, you’ll need to purchase a subscription for NordVPN and download the client. When it comes to the payment, you can make anonymous transactions using cryptocurrency, or use standard credit cards among other options – it’s up to you.
When choosing a package, it makes sense to buy for the long term. Monthly prices dip dramatically when you opt for long-term plans. Moreover, NordVPN offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can redeem it if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
At this stage, you have a couple of installation options which we’ll look at in turn.
Set up NordVPN on Kodi via the NordVPN client
The first option is to use the NordVPN client. This is the simplest option and works well if Kodi is installed on your desktop or laptop.
- Download the NordVPN client.
- Open the client and enter your NordVPN login details. Do not open Kodi before the VPN as this could compromise your IP protection.
- Choose a server that suits your needs. If you want to work around geo-blocking, try servers in other parts of the world.
- When the connection has been established, simply minimize the client and fire up Kodi. You should now enjoy total IP leak protection and NordVPN Kodi encryption.
Installing the NordVPN add-on on Kodi
The second option is to install NordVPN directly on your Kodi device using the official NordVPN Kodi installer on https://nord.app/kodi. This option is the one to choose if you have Kodi installed on a box or other digital device. It’s a little more complex, but if you follow the guidelines below you should be fine.
- Check that OpenVPN is available and installed on your Kodi device.
- Download the NordVPN Kodi add-on zip file from here. Transfer it to a USB stick and plug the stick into your Kodi device.
- On your device, go to Settings > System settings > Add-ons and toggle the Unknown Sources option to ON. You will get a warning prompt. Don’t worry about it and click Yes.
- Return to the home screen and go to the Add-ons menu. There, you should see a box-like icon in the top left. This is the package installer icon, and you’ll need to click on it.
- Select Install from zip file and go to the zip file that you downloaded.
- After that, you will be prompted to run the VPN setup Wizard.
- Later on, you will be asked to fill in your NordVPN account details.
- Once everything is finished, you will be asked if you’d like the VPN to connect on startup.
Installing NordVPN on a Raspberry Pi with Kodi
Someone more tech-savvy might prefer to install Kodi on a Raspberry Pi. Still, it’s important to follow the instructions properly if you’d like to avoid any issues.
- Download the Kodi OpenVPN plugin for your Raspberry Pi.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file onto your Kodi device.
- After transferring the file, startup Kodi and go to System > Settings > Add-ons. Click on Install from zip file.
- Navigate to the downloaded zip file and install it.
- You will have to wait a few moments until the installation process finishes. You’ll see a notification once it’s done.
- Create a new .txt file with two lines. The first line is for your NordVPN username and the second line is for your password. For example nordaccount.txt
- Go to https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ and download the .ovpn configuration file of the server that you’d like to connect to.
- Open the file you have downloaded and edit the auth-user-pass line to contain the location where you want to store the nordaccount.txt file on your Kodi. It should look like this:auth-user-pass /location/of/nordaccount.txt
- Transfer both of these files to the Raspberry Pi.
- Open the OpenVPN add-on you have installed earlier and use it to find the .ovpn configuration file you have transferred to your media center to connect to VPN.
You should now be up and running and fully protected by NordVPN on whatever device you decided to install Kodi on. Now whenever you load Kodi, your VPN protection will be automatically triggered. So you won’t need to remember to load up NordVPN every time you want to stream an episode of your favorite show. You can also always change your VPNs location if you notice that some content is geo-restricted.
Now that we know how to install NordVPN on Kodi, it’s important to reiterate how valuable VPN protection can be. Many of the addons used by Kodi skirt the borders of illegality, and there is always a security risk involved in using them. With a VPN, that risk is massively reduced.
And when you bundle in the opportunity to work around geo-blockers, having a reliable VPN is simply a no-brainer.
Disclaimer: Affiliate links help us produce good content. Learn more.