It’s safe to say that Kodi is one of the most widely used media platforms in the world, and this doesn’t appear to be changing any time soon. With that in mind, you might just be wondering how you can enhance your Kodi viewing experience. If that’s something you’re looking to do, then you’ll be happy to know that installing a subtitles service is often the way forward.
There are many reasons for wanting to make use of subtitles when viewing all of your favorite movies and TV shows via Kodi. Whether it’s due to struggling to hear the dialogue because of poor audio quality, watching a title in a foreign language, or if you just suffer from hearing problems, you might just find that you aren’t able to hear the audio clearly when you are using Kodi. If this is something that you have to contend with, getting subtitles up and running on your system might well be the answer to your prayers.
So, without any further delay, let’s cover all of the essential information regarding getting subtitles up and running on your Kodi setup.
Before you can begin installing a subtitles service on Kodi, you’ll first need to head over to the Kodi settings menu to go through a few different options. The following steps will provide instructions on how to do this:
- Open Kodi > click the gear icon in the top-left corner to open the settings menu > click on player.
- On the left sidebar, simply click the language, after which a range of options will be displayed.
- Click on the Download services section > click on Languages to download subtitles for, after which you can set the languages you would like to download.
- Click on Default TV show service > Get more… > this will then allow you to choose from a list of available subtitle services.
Opensubtitles.org is undoubtedly one of the most popular services available right now. So, it’s the one that we recommend that you use. Simply click on this particular service and you will then be able to make use of it when you’d like to download subtitles for the movies and TV shows that you watch on Kodi.
Installing OpenSubtitles.org on Kodi
OpenSubtitles.org is one of the most widely used subtitles services to use on Kodi. So, it’s safe to say that it is going to be the perfect choice for most users of the Kodi platform.
Now that you have followed the initial setup process we covered earlier; you will need to register for a new account on OpenSubtitles.org if you are looking to add subtitles to Kodi. To do exactly that, simply head on over to the official Opensubtitles.org website where you can enter your details into their system (email, password etc).
Once you have clicked Register, click on the link provided in your confirmation email. After this point, log in to OpenSubtitles on the Kodi application which will already be installed on your system. To access the service, simply open Kodi, click on Add-ons, My add-ons on the left menu, then click on Subtitles. Here, you can click on the Opensubtitles add-on and click Configure to enter your credentials.
Activating Subtitles on Kodi
By this point, Opensubtitles should be up and running on your Kodi setup. But, there are a few final steps that you need to follow to make use of the service while watching movies and TV shows. Luckily, that is what this section is all about. Simply follow the below instructions to finalize the setup process.
- Open your video on Kodi – either via a stream or a locally stored video.
- Click on Subtitles in the bottom right corner when the video begins to play.
- Click on Download after which the OpenSubtitles add-on will scan its library for subtitles for that particular video.
- OpenSubtitles will then automatically load the relevant subtitles. Or, you could simply do this manually if you’d prefer – just click on the Manual search string button and enter the name of the TV show or movie and the available subtitles will download automatically when you click on them.
That concludes our complete guide to installing subtitles on Kodi. By following the instructions that we have set out in this article, you’ll soon be well on your way to enjoying all of your favorite media with complete subtitles at your disposal. Go ahead and try it for yourself!
Mikaela is an investigative journalist that likes to cover the ever-changing world of technology. She tries to keep her finger on the pulse of digital trends and share her insights on the most relevant topics, including big tech, security, privacy, and data breaches.