Kodi is a free, open-source digital media player that allows viewing many streaming services through one convenient interface. Boasting 30 million users worldwide, it’s popular software that gathers up all the entertainment venues you want. Though, there’s a slight issue concerning security and foreign content availability on Kodi.
Thankfully, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) fixes the most pressing Kodi drawbacks.
The best VPN for Kodi is not just nice-to-have – it’s a necessity. Connecting to a server unlocks restricted media and makes sure you stay invisible from anyone who wants to track you, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and hackers included. The key is choosing a product that is secure, fast and adheres to a zero-logs policy. To help you make the right choice, we’ve compiled a list of the top Kodi VPN services in 2022.
Top 5 VPNs for Kodi: shortlist
- The best VPN for Kodi9.8
- Kodi VPN with unlimited connections9.5
- Streaming-focused VPN for Kodi9.3
- Kodi VPN with malware protection9.1
- The cheapest VPN for Kodi8.9
How to install a VPN for Kodi
- Download a robust Kodi VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the client on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server closest to you
- Unlock everything Kodi has to offer!
Why do you need a VPN for Kodi?
Despite being a versatile player packed with tons of features, Kodi has certain flaws if used entirely on its own. We strongly suggest investing in the right VPN because it will help you in a myriad of ways, the most relevant being:
- Hide from threats. Malicious actors are just waiting to exploit various software weaknesses, especially if you’re connecting to Kodi via public Wi-Fi. They can’t target what they can’t see.
- Unblock geo-restricted content. Hiding your IP address allows you to access streaming services and watch region-specific content usually unavailable to users who don’t live in the relevant countries.
- Bypass ISP throttling. If your internet usage is causing network congestion, your provider will slow down your speeds to stop this. But if your online activity is completely hidden, they can’t pinpoint or limit you.
- Ensure privacy. Kodi users might accidentally tune into a channel that broadcasts copyrighted content illegally. Without the privacy-enhancing features of a VPN, these people will receive a copyright infringement notice from their ISPs or even a fine.
Best VPN for Kodi: overview
- NordVPN – The Best VPN for Kodi
- Surfshark VPN – Kodi VPN with unlimited connections
- PrivateVPN – Streaming-focused VPN for Kodi
- IPVanish – Kodi VPN with malware protection
- Atlas VPN – The cheapest VPN for Kodi
First and foremost, the best VPN for Kodi should offer extensive device compatibility. Since this software is available for download on many platforms, the service must support devices like Amazon Firestick and Android TV besides the usual operating systems. Having a wide-reaching network also lets you open as many geo-blocked entertainment venues as possible.
Of course, streaming restricted content is only available if none of your data is leaking, so high-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch are mandatory. Can’t forget about device limits as well – 5 or more simultaneous connections per account facilitate a comfortable Kodi experience for the whole family.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Kodi
24/7 live chat, Email
- Dedicated Kodi add-on
- SmartPlay for bypassing geo-blocks
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
Introducing NordVPN, the fastest VPN for Kodi in the market. Hailing from privacy-friendly Panama, this provider includes everything you want for secure streaming. We’re talking about servers optimized for lightning-fast speeds, excellent geo-block circumvention tools, an audited zero-logs policy, and plenty of features for protection.
The enormous network consists of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries, so you’ll always have a suitable location right at hand. Outstanding connectivity and 4K-ready speeds are a true and tested reality as well, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx protocol. And there’s a treat for folks who want utmost anonymity – all standard servers are RAM-only.
NordVPN also offers split tunneling and is compatible with a wide array of devices you can run Kodi on – utilize the 6 simultaneous connections wisely. Want to unblock Hulu or HBO Max on a platform that doesn’t support VPNs? The SmartPlay feature allows you to bypass location-based restrictions on devices that don’t support such software.
Enter our NordVPN discount code during checkout, and don’t pay more than $2.99/month for this excellent Kodi VPN. There’s a 7-day free trial version available for download via the Google Play Store or Apple App Store for curious people. The 30-day money-back guarantee ensures that your commitment is risk-free as well.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Kodi VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- No device limit
- Smart DNS for smooth streaming
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Your household won’t be fighting over what to watch with Surfshark VPN. Since there is no connections limit, just install this VPN on every device you have and begin streaming. Here, you’ll find many security features, a strict no-logs policy, and the NoBorders mode, which is extremely useful if you reside in restrictive regions.
Boasting 3200+ servers in 100+ countries, there’s nothing you can’t watch by connecting to the correct country. The next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol also ensures that you’re not bothered by buffering any more. And since all hardware is RAM-only, there’s no risk of anyone getting their grubby hands on your data.
Surfshark VPN offers the Bypasser tool, supports a bunch of Smart TVs and consoles, and even has a Fire TV app for your convenience. Moreover, the Smart DNS ensures you can browse Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming platforms via Kodi on any device that supports this media player.
$1.99/month is pocket change for one of the best Kodi VPNs. Just don’t forget to apply a Surfshark VPN coupon before finalizing the purchase. Subscribers who aren’t happy with the purchase can utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee to recoup their losses. But we’re sure you’ll be hooked right from the start after trying the 7-day free trial (via Google Play Store).
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – streaming-focused VPN for Kodi
24/7 live chat
- User-friendly apps for many platforms
- Owns all server hardware
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Mac and iOS lack features
Want to add a VPN to Kodi that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? Don’t miss out on PrivateVPN, which offers robust anonymity-ensuring features and doesn’t collect any data about its users. What’s more, the modest size of the server fleet has allowed this provider to maximize all hardware performance, making streaming smooth as butter.
200+ servers scattered across 63+ countries will prove more than enough to access any geo-blocked content you want. 4K quality and zero lag shouldn’t be surprising either, since this VPN buys its internet capacity straight from the source. Plus, no one can tamper with the hardware – PrivateVPN owns all of it.
From Netflix to BBC iPlayer, no foreign libraries are out of your grasp. Thanks to the generous 10 simultaneous connections per account limit, family members can watch what they want separately. Need better coverage? Just set up the VPN on your router and connect the device to the newly-secured network.
Coming at just $2.00/month after applying a PrivateVPN code, this VPN is well-suited for Kodi. Take it out for a spin with the 7-day free trial version, or subscribe without fear. The plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee if they’re just not right for you.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Kodi VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- No virtual servers
- No anonymous payment methods
Secure everything you own by subscribing to one of the best Kodi VPNs with no device limit – IPVanish. Besides offering an independently-audited zero-logs policy and tight security, this provider also guarantees breakneck speeds for all your streaming needs. Need some real-time protection, too? The VIPRE antivirus got you covered.
IPVanish owns the whole network, which spans 2000+ servers in 50+ countries, so there’s no need to fear possible third-party meddling. Finding a server that works best for you won’t be a problem, either, since all boast excellent performance. Of course, it is made possible by the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
The provider has Android TV & Fire TV apps, supports various operating systems, and Android users can even utilize split tunneling to encrypt Kodi only. Either way, you’re going to have a blast no matter what device you end up using to watch shows and movies on Disney+ or Amazon Prime Video.
Utilize an IPVanish coupon to pay only $3.99/month for the subscription. There’s no need to be disappointed by the lack of a free trial version – the provider makes up for it by having a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN for Kodi
Email, tickets, FAQ
- No device limit
- Great for bypassing geo-blocks
- Anonymous payment options
- No router configuration
Finally, we can’t forget about Atlas VPN, one of the cheapest Kodi VPNs for all your anonymity needs. Rich with protection-oriented features and boosted by the fact the provider doesn’t log any information, it’s more than suitable for comfortable Kodi streaming as well. Plus, you can use cryptocurrencies to pay for a subscription.
Pick the best connection from 750+ servers spread across 37+ countries to watch anything you want. Be it hair-raising horror flicks or adrenaline-fuelled thrillers, the WireGuard tunneling protocol makes sure you’ll never have to wait for the action to load. Furthermore, SafeSwap servers keep you undetectable by rotating your IP without disconnecting.
Sadly, there is no router support, but unlimited simultaneous connections allow you to set up this VPN on Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, and numerous other devices. With it, Kodi will open the doors to foreign content on HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and other popular services.
Now, it all comes up to just $1.64/month if you don’t forget to enter an Atlas VPN code. While there is an excellent free version to take advantage of, it doesn’t unlock streaming. So, feel free to check out the premium plans – the commitment isn’t set in stone, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to choose a VPN for Kodi
The best VPN for Kodi you end up subscribing to has to meet specific criteria if you don’t want your experience to fall short. Consider these requirements before you commit to one provider or another:
- Device compatibility. While it’s not a problem to watch Kodi on desktop or mobile, not all VPNs support streaming devices, like Android TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick. If you prefer streaming on specific platforms, always make sure the provider supports them and includes manual router setup instructions.
- Streaming possibilities. Not every service can bypass geo-blocks of popular streaming platforms like BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Netflix, etc. Double-check the website or contact customer support to find out if the VPN can do this.
- Wicked-fast speeds. Constant buffering and less than stellar video quality will certainly ruin any show or movie. To avoid this, look for providers that utilize the latest tunneling protocols. You can see what you’re getting with our handy VPN speed test tool.
- Sizable network. With different content being available to particular countries, it’s good to have as many possible locations you can connect to. Having a server closest to you also plays a significant role in the Kodi VPN’s performance.
- Robust security. Keeping your IP address hidden is essential if you want to access restricted content, plus it keeps you safe from tracking and possible threats. You can’t go without a kill switch, military-grade encryption, and leak protection for these reasons.
- Logging policy. Ideally, you should be opting for a zero-logs service. This way, you can be sure that the VPN for Kodi doesn’t store your data and would have nothing to show if law enforcement shows up. Bonus points go to those who’ve had this policy audited by an independent entity.
- Reasonable price. Don’t waste your money on expensive services if they don’t include everything you need or are just sub-par. Cheaper VPNs are surprisingly great at what they do and even tend to offer more features.
- Customer support. If things ever go sideways, you’ll need professional help ASAP. Never go for less than 24/7 live chat.
Can you use Kodi without a VPN?
Yes, but you’re severely limiting your experience. Kodi is not an exception when it comes to regional restrictions. Many add-ons and channels are unavailable just because of your location. Furthermore, some streaming services are inaccessible if you live outside specific countries.
Then there’s all this tracking. As we mentioned before, your ISP sees all the traffic associated with your IP address. Nothing’s stopping it from collecting this data and selling it to third parties. Law enforcement can access it, too, which can lead to fines or jail time for streaming content illegally. Plus, ISPs practice bandwidth throttling, which negatively affects speeds.
Lastly, can’t forget about the various snoopers waiting for just the right moment to attack you. Hackers can get a hold of your IP address through Kodi and track your online activities. If you accidentally dabble into copyrighted material, they might even pretend to be the copyright holders to extort you.
Well, still wondering if you need to add a VPN to Kodi? From granting access to usually blocked content to keeping you safe from the various threats of the online world, such software can only do you good. That’s why we urge users to utilize streaming VPNs in conjunction with any Kodi activity.
How to install Kodi with VPN on devices
The Kodi player is compatible with various platforms, so you can use it to comfortably watch anything you want from anywhere. The thing is that the whole setup process, while quick, differs with each case. Before you dive into the instructions, remember to snatch a Kodi VPN compatible with your device:
How to set up Kodi with VPN on PC
- Download the appropriate Kodi app from the Microsoft Store if you’re using Windows or directly from the official Kodi website if you’re using macOS. We have detailed setup instructions for both Windows and Mac.
- Subscribe to a robust VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the software on your computer
- Connect to a server of your choice
- Boot up Kodi and start streaming!
How to set up Kodi with VPN on phones
- Download the Kodi app from the Google Play Store if you’re using Android. iOS owners first have to get the TweakBox app from its official website and install Kodi through it. We have detailed setup instructions for both Android and iOS.
- Purchase a reliable VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN.
- Get the VPN client on your phone
- Select a server closest to you
- Browse the expansive Kodi library!
How to set up Kodi with VPN on Smart TV
- Turn on your Smart TV, navigate to the Google Play Store, and install Kodi. We have detailed setup instructions for Samsung Smart TVs and LG Smart TVs.
- Subscribe to a suitable VPN for Kodi. NordVPN boasts broad compatibility.
- Set up the software on your router
- Connect to the server best for unblocking the content you need
- Tune in to your favorite shows!
How to install Kodi with VPN on streaming devices and consoles
Most won’t find it too surprising that Kodi is also available on other types of devices meant for entertainment. Yet again, the installation won’t take up too much of your time – just don’t forget the appropriate VPNs:
How to set up Kodi with VPN on Firestick
- Get the Downloader app and snatch the Kodi app through it. We have detailed Kodi installation on Firestick instructions you can consult.
- Download the VPN of your choice. NordVPN is the best option for FireStick devices.
- Set up the client on your Fire TV Stick
- Select the server that works best for you
- Open Kodi to start watching!
How to set up Kodi with VPN on Roku
- Make sure Roku is up to date, go to the Settings, enable Screen mirroring, and Add the Device you’re going to be mirroring from. We have detailed Kodi setup on Roku instructions.
- Select a router-compatible VPN. NordVPN usually doesn’t disappoint.
- Set up the VPN on your router
- Connect to an appropriate server
- Watch anything you want!
How to set up Kodi with VPN on Apple TV
- Install Kodi through the Cydia Impactor software. We have detailed Kodi setup on Apple TV instructions.
- Subscribe to an appropriate Kodi VPN. Apple TV works best with NordVPN.
- Set up the VPN on your router
- Select the nearest server to you
- Enjoy unlimited streaming!
How to set up Kodi with VPN on Xbox and PlayStation
- Get Kodi through the Xbox Store or a bootable Ubuntu USB in the case of PlayStation. We have detailed setup instructions for both Xbox and PlayStation.
- Subscribe to a VPN with router support. NordVPN is especially easy to set up on a router.
- Set up the VPN on your router
- Connect to a server of your choice
- Enjoy safe Kodi streaming!
Best free VPN for Kodi
Are there plenty of free VPNs for Kodi? Yes. Should you use them? We suggest not to – and for several good reasons. Most free providers aren’t capable of bypassing geo-restrictions, let alone actually changing your IP address to ensure your protection. Besides that, you might find yourself with a handful of unpleasant freebies like:
- User trackers – yes, the free Kodi VPN you’ve just downloaded probably does the opposite of what it’s meant to. The worst part is that the provider then sells this data to any shady third party interested in it.
- Intrusive software – there have been numerous cases of free software being bundled with malware. What’s more, it’s not uncommon for the clients to be plagued with various ads and pop-ups.
- Unbelievable loading times – sadly, we don’t mean super-fast speeds or anything like that. Free services tend to have severe data limits and just 3-4 servers. Couple that with an overwhelming amount of users, so you’re just better off without a VPN in this case.
Now, it’s not entirely hopeless for those who truly don’t have a penny to spare for a subscription to a premium service. Your best bet is getting your hands on free trial versions of trustworthy VPNs. While available for a limited time only, it’s more than enough to binge-watch the shows you’ve wanted to see for ages.
Another option is getting the best free VPN for Kodi. We have a whole list of services that come from vetted providers who are transparent about their practices. So, you’re not getting any nasty surprises once you download the software.
How to install Kodi add-ons
Like many other open-source platforms, Kodi comes without any pre-loaded add-ons. That means users have to manually add the channels they want to access quickly & easily. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Kodi, and scroll down the main menu until you find Add-ons
- Select the Box icon – this will open the Addon Browser
- Select the type of add-on you want to get – in this case, it’s Video Add-ons
- An alphabetical list of official Kodi add-ons should appear. Select the ones you want to get.
- Click Install, and Kodi will do the rest of the work
- Come back to the home screen, click on the channel you just got, and Open it to start watching
As we mentioned previously, some add-ons will be unavailable due to your location. If you want to get other geo-blocked channels, you can do so by utilizing robust VPNs. NordVPN, for example, circumvents restrictions with ease, offers an extensive server list, and is compatible with many devices.
VPN on Kodi boxes
There’s no unanimous definition of what Kodi boxes are, but they are any streaming device with an already pre-loaded Kodi app. More often than not, they are fully loaded, meaning you are getting not only the Kodi app but also some add-ons.
Kodi boxes can be either Android or Linux based. The most popular among them are the following:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Fire TV Stick
- Nvidia Shield
As Kodi boxes are getting more and more popular, people start questioning whether they are legal. The answer is two-fold:
- Yes, they are legal if you are purchasing a box with only the Kodi app on it.
- No, they are not legal if you opt for a fully loaded one, as they usually have pirated content that is illegal in many countries, the US included.
Therefore, if you’re not looking for trouble, choose a Kodi box that’s not fully loaded. Besides copyrighted content, many third-party vendors selling these kinds of pre-configured devices include malware, botnets, and other malicious software with the bundle. Keep yourself safe – install the media player on the device you want yourself, and boost it with the best VPNs for Kodi.
Be it streaming movies and shows, listening to music and podcasts, perusing photos, recording live TV, and even playing games, Kodi is convenient in almost any situation. It’s no wonder that so many users flock to this media player to satisfy all their needs. Sadly, geo-blocks and security risks are a huge drawback for many.
Luckily, there’s nothing that a reliable VPN can’t fix. Providers like NordVPN are here to make your experience better with an IP address change and encryption. No prying eyes can see you once that is set up and running, and the vast entertainment doors are finally open as well.
Have you used a VPN with Kodi before? What foreign channels are your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
Is Kodi legal?
Yes, Kodi is a legal open-source software you can use for entertainment. However, what is illegal is installing unsanctioned third-party add-ons to watch copyrighted material. Keep yourself on the safe side – don’t download shady stuff, and always be connected to a VPN just in case.
Is it legal to use a VPN for Kodi?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN with Kodi. In fact, we encourage you to always utilize the best Kodi VPN with this media player to ensure your overall safety. Just remember to subscribe to trusted providers.
Does Kodi VPN work on FireStick?
Yes, Kodi works on Amazon FireStick and many other compatible devices. It includes computers (Windows and Mac), phones (Android and iOS), Smart TVs, Apple TVs, etc.
What are the best Kodi add-ons for sports streaming?
There are many Kodi sports add-ons, and the best depends on the kind of sports you want to stream. You can pick from Fox Sports Go, Sportsnet Now, DAZN, and Fite.tv, among others.
What is the best Kodi VPN?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Kodi. It’s compatible with this media player, is excellent at circumventing restrictions, and offers a wide-ranging server network perfect for connecting to any country you need.