Popcorn Time isn’t just for desktops – Android and other mobile users can enjoy it too. In this article, we’ll show you how to watch Popcorn Time on Android.
This app is a great way to access all the video content you could ever dream of. But just what is Popcorn Time?
Well, Popcorn Time is a BitTorrent-based video streaming service. It combines the libraries of several large torrent trackers, removing the hassle of having to download files and view them on your Android device. With Popcorn Time for Android, all you have to do is search and click play.
How to watch Popcorn Time on Android: a step-by-step guide
This app not only provides a single location to find all of your favorite programs and movies, but does so with a sleek, professional, and intuitive interface that feels great even on smaller screens.
Popcorn Time works on any device that can run Android 4.0 or higher. Additionally, you can use the application on your Android TV and skip paying for a handful of other streaming services that cannot offer the same viewing options.
Below you will find a step-by-step guide that will get Popcorn Time set up on your Android device in no time.
1. How to download Popcorn Time for Android
This app is not available on Google Play. Therefore you’ll need to download Popcorn Time for Android from the Popcorn Time website, which should automatically offer the right version for your device.
You might get a pop-up message warning about third-party files that can harm your device. Don’t be afraid to click “OK.”
Now it’s time to get into the installation process.
2. How to install Popcorn Time on Android
Before you can install the Popcorn Time .apk file, you’ll need to go into your Android device settings to allow the installation of apps downloaded from sources other than Google Play. The way to do it differs slightly depending on your device model and Android version, but in general, it goes like this:
- Navigate to Settings and choose Security & Privacy or Advanced settings
- Scroll down to the bottom and press More or Security
- Scroll down and choose to Install unknown apps
- Find Unknown Sources and check “Allow installation of non-Market applications”
- Locate your Popcorn Time .apk download file and open it
- Click Install and follow the instructions.
- Grab some popcorn, open the app, and start watching!
Installing Popcorn Time on Android TV
You can easily install the Popcorn Time Android application directly to Android TV with just a few extra steps:
- On your computer, download the Popcorn Time installation file to a USB
- On your Android TV, download a file browser app like ES File Explorer
- Plug the USB into the TV and use ES File Explorer to locate and install the Popcorn Time application
3. How to setup Popcorn Time for Android
Now that you have the application downloaded, you can begin using Popcorn Time on your Android Device. Before beginning, you may want to tweak your settings. You will find them in the hamburger menu at the top left.
Here, you can adjust your language, subtitle settings, cache settings, and most importantly your VPN warning, which should be turned on by default. It signals if your VPN is off before downloading any content.
We highly recommend both using a VPN and keeping this setting checked.
Importance of a VPN for Popcorn Time
Popcorn Time is essentially a torrent client. This means that using it to watch films and TV shows on your Android amounts to violating copyrights.
While there are some countries, like Canada, where downloading copyrighted content is overlooked, the situation in the US is much worse. You can get fined like those people who downloaded Adam Sandler’s The Cobbler and were ordered to pay a few hundred bucks, which is especially sad given how horrible that movie is.
To avoid getting caught or blocked by your ISP, you should use a VPN to hide your true IP address and encrypt your traffic. What’s more, it’ll also make you more secure on public wifi connections, help you avoid geo-blocking, and protect your personal data from hackers, cybercriminals, and other wrongdoers.
Top 3 VPNs for Popcorn Time on Android
While Popcorn Time suggests Anonymous VPN, our tests have shown that this is a mediocre service at best. Therefore we recommend these three VPNs that are a great fit for all Android users who want to enjoy Popcorn Time safely.
- Massive server list
- Solid security
- Very user-friendly
- Works with Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- 24/7 live chat support
- Excellent security
- Great server list
- Awesome for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- Very easy to use
- Affordable prices
- Watertight security
- Massive server list
- Great for streaming
- Very good for torrenting
- Very fast
- 24/7 customer support
If none of these seem like a good fit for you, check out our list of the best VPNs for Android.
Troubleshooting – Popcorn Time not working on Android
Some users have discussed the difficulties of using the Popcorn Time app for Android devices. The app can sometimes freeze or get in a buffering loop when trying to stream. There are a few things you can do to try and resolve this issue:
- Make sure that you are not experiencing internet issues
- Make sure your ISP doesn’t block P2P traffic (a VPN would help if that’s the case)
- Ensure that you have downloaded the app from the official Popcorn Time website
- Check that you’re running the most up-to-date version of the application. Popcorn Time is frequently updated and improved.
- Make sure your firewall or anti-malware app doesn’t block Popcorn Time
- If all else fails, try reinstalling the app