Whether you want to stay safe, have more streaming options, or want to torrent, a VPN for Mac is a must. However, not everyone can spend a hefty amount of money on a service. Therefore, it’s our duty to find the best free VPNs for Mac.
The shortlisted costless providers will ensure your privacy and safety while surfing the web. Moreover, some can help you bypass geo-restrictions, meaning more shows and movies on streaming platforms. Not to mention, reliable free service will protect your torrenting efforts, so you won’t get in trouble easily.
Thus, if you can’t break the bank, read further and find out which free VPN for Mac is the best.
Best free VPNs for Mac: shortlist
- The best VPN for Mac with a free trial9.6
- A free trial VPN with infinite connections9.4
- The finest free VPN for Mac9.0
How to install a free VPN on Mac
- Subscribe to a reliable free Mac VPN. We recommend a free trial version of NordVPN
- Download the VPN app or web extension if there is one
- Connect to a nearby server for better connectivity
- Enjoy security and privacy while browsing on Mac!
Why do you need a free VPN for Mac?
One of the main reasons you want to have the best free VPN is to protect your privacy online. A trustworthy virtual private network ensures your confidentiality and prevents IP and DNS leaks.
Not to mention, a VPN can help you change your location, which is very beneficial. You’ll get more content on streaming platforms, better online deals, cheaper flight tickets, and more gaming servers.
From a security standpoint, a free Mac VPN will encrypt your data, making it harder for hackers to get your precious information. Additionally, malware, viruses, and trackers won’t be such a frequent issue either.
Whichever reason appeals to you the most, it’s crucial to pick the right free VPN for Mac, as not all providers are up to the task.
Best free VPNs for Mac: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Mac with a free trial
- Surfshark VPN – a free trial VPN with infinite connections
- Atlas VPN – the finest free VPN for Mac
- Proton VPN – a privacy-focused free VPN
- Hide.me – free Mac VPN suitable for P2P
The ultimate VPN for Mac should keep your information confidential and your computer secure. Not to mention, a trustworthy service should have enough servers to choose from and stable connectivity. Furthermore, a VPN should help you bypass geo-restrictions and give you access to more shows and movies on streaming platforms.
Thus, let’s see which free VPN for Mac is the best.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Mac with a free trial
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast
- 7-day free trial and money-back guarantee
- Independently audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for Mac laptops, as it’s the safest and the fastest provider on the market. And if you do everything right, you can use this service for free for over 30 days!
With NordVPN, you’ll have 5500+ servers in 59+ countries at your disposal. Furthermore, the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol will ensure breakneck speeds globally. Also, you’ll be able to bypass geo-blocks on the most popular streaming platforms, such as Netflix US, Disney+, or BBC iPlayer.
Safety-wise, you’ll get all the basics, such as military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP leak protection. More so, Threat Protection will deal with malicious ads, trackers, and malware. Not to mention, NordVPN has an independently-audited zero-logs policy, so your identity on the web won’t be disclosed. Lastly, it’s perfect for Mac users in China due to obfuscated servers.
NordVPN is not totally free, but you can use it without paying, thanks to the 7-day free trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, the subscriptions start from as little as $3.09/month. Lastly, you can use a NordVPN coupon and get a discounted plan.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – a free trial VPN with infinite connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Excellent performance
- 7-day free trial and money-back guarantee
- Can easily bypass geo-blocks
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is a great free VPN for Mac if you have several Apple devices. It offers boundless connections, making it one of the best multiple device VPNs.
Surfshark covers 95+ countries with 3200+ servers worldwide. Furthermore, thanks to the trusty WireGuard tunneling protocol, it won’t slow you down. And as a top-tier provider, it can help you circumvent geo-curbs and let you want more shows and movies on Crunchyroll, Netflix, DAZN, or Peacock.
Suppose you want to surf the web on Mac in countries such as China, UAE, or Turkey. In that case, you can use Camouflage Mode and avoid strict firewalls. Additionally, for extra security, you can use Surfshark One. It’s a pack that includes an unbiased search engine, antivirus, and breach detector.
Use Surfshark as a free Mac VPN with a 7-day free trial and a month-long money-back guarantee. After that, you can grab a plan for $2.21/month. Moreover, you can save on a Surfshark subscription if you use our coupon code.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the finest free VPN for Mac
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Secure & private
- Allows torrenting
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Only 5 GB/month data with free version
Atlas VPN is at the top of our best free VPNs list, so surely it’s also a perfect fit for Macs. While the premium is a lot better and offers more features, the free version is also worth a shot.
You’ll get 3 locations to choose from (Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles). All of them are P2P-friendly, so you can do some file sharing. Moreover, the speed should also be sufficient due to the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
However, there are some drawbacks to the free version. You’ll only get 5 GB/month of data. Additionally, the costless servers are not streaming-optimized, so bypassing Netflix’s firewalls will be impossible. But at least you’ll stay protected and anonymous with this provider.
You’ll love Atlas VPN for Mac, so why not get a premium instead? The subscriptions start from as little as $1.83/month. And with a 30-day money-back guarantee, you’ll have nothing to fear about. Lastly, you can get an Atlas VPN coupon and save money!
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Proton VPN – a privacy-focused free VPN
Email, knowledge base
- Hardcore security features
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Extremely user-friendly
- Not great for torrenting
If you’re looking for a super secure VPN, Proton VPN’s free version is a perfect fit for your Mac. The costless option offers 3 countries to choose from: the US, Japan, and the Netherlands.
The provider has a strict zero-logs policy, so your privacy won’t be compromised. Additionally, you’ll get NASA-grade encryption, a robust kill switch, and IP leak protection. Plus, there are no data limitations, so you can always keep Proton VPN on.
However, freemium Proton VPN is not much fun. The provider is against P2P, so torrenting is prohibited. Additionally, bypassing geo-restrictions on the most popular streaming platforms won’t be possible either. Furthermore, you’ll only get 1 connection per subscription, which is not okay if you want to protect multiple gadgets.
Suppose you decide to get rid of the curbs and opt for a premium version. In that case, the subscriptions start from $4.99/month, which are also protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, you can save even more if you use our Proton VPN coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. Hide.me – a free Mac VPN suitable for P2P
- Allows torrenting
- No registration or sign up required
- Cover 4 countries
- Only 10 GB/month data with free version
If you want to use a virtual private network for P2P sharing, then Hide.me is one of the best free VPNs for torrenting on Mac. Additionally, the free version doesn’t require any registration, which further boosts your online privacy.
You’ll find free servers in 4 countries: the US, the Netherlands, Germany, and Canada. Furthermore, they all support P2P, so you can torrent freely. Plus, the provider won’t collect logs and will protect you with military-grade encryption.
Sadly, the free version is relatively slow due to the lack of WireGuard tunneling protocol. Moreover, you’ll only get 10 GB/month of data, which is not ideal if you want to download large files. And, you won’t be able to access geo-blocked content on any streaming platforms.
Want to see Hide.me’s full potential? Then subscribe and enjoy it for $2.49/month. Nevertheless, thanks to a month-long cash-return policy, you can always cancel the plan and get your money back. Don’t forget to snatch a Hide.me discount coupon and save some cash.
For a deeper investigation of Hide Me VPN, read our Hide Me VPN review.
How we picked the best free VPNs for Mac
Finding a working and safe free VPN for Mac might be a bit of a challenge. Therefore, if you want to find yourself a suitable service, you might want to use this list of important aspects as a guide:
- Reliable security. The main mission of a free Mac VPN is to protect you. Thus, check if the service has up-to-date protocols, AES-256 encryption, IP leak protection, and a kill switch.
- Ability to bypass geo-blocks. You won’t get to watch restricted shows if your VPN can’t bypass firewalls. Hence, make sure your VPN can bypass geographical restrictions.
- Good coverage. Your choice of countries will be limited. Nonetheless, you can pick a provider that has a few locations to choose from. Moreover, try to look for a VPN with servers nearby, so your internet speed doesn’t have to suffer as much.
- Great connectivity. Slower speeds are inevitable with free VPNs. However, picking a provider with the WireGuard tunneling protocol should ensure better connectivity. Plus, you can check how well the VPNs perform on our speed test.
- Compatibility. What’s the point of getting a VPN if you can’t use it on your Mac. Before downloading anything, make sure the provider has a dedicated app for your device.
How to set up a free VPN for Mac
Now that you picked one of the Top 5 free VPNs for Mac, it’s time to set it up. There are two ways to get the wanted software: you can download the VPN from the App Store or the VPN provider’s webpage. Don’t worry, we’ll guide you through the process, so setting up a free Mac VPN will be a piece of cake.
Installation through the App Store
Getting the ultimate free Mac VPN via the official App Store is the easiest way. All you have to do is:
- Pick a free VPN provider that fits your needs. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Find the software on the App Store and click Get
- Confirm your Apple ID and wait for the app to download
- Launch the VPN and select a free server
- Enjoy a secure connection on your Macbook!
Installation through the provider’s website
While a bit more complicated, it’s an excellent way to get a free VPN for Mac if you don’t like to use the App Store. Thus, follow the steps below:
- Decide which VPN you want. Our recommendation is NordVPN
- Go to the VPN provider’s web page and head to the Downloads section
- Select your OS version and download the .dmg file
- Open the file and install the VPN on your device
- Launch the app and log in
- Select a free server and browse safely on your Mac!
What are the best free VPN extensions for Safari on Mac?
Unfortunately, there are no trustworthy free VPN extensions for Safari on Mac. In addition, Apple no longer allows third-party add-ons to its browser. That means, if you want to protect your internet traffic on this browser, you’ll need the best Safari VPN app.
Luckily, other browsers, like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Brave, have plenty of VPN extensions. Moreover, the latter two browsers are safer and more private than Safari, as they stop cookies and don’t collect your info. Thus, if you want to use a more lightweight VPN version, consider getting Brave Browser and a virtual private network extension. Note that an extension won’t protect your P2P efforts, so you’ll need a full VPN app for that.
Free Mac VPNs for China
If you’re planning on visiting The Red Dragon, a free VPN for Mac in China is a must. It will bypass strict firewalls and give you unrestricted access to Western media. Additionally, reliable service will help you avoid being under the magnifying glass of the government.
Best of all, there is a pretty good selection of free VPNs for China. Most of the providers on the Top 5 list will have servers in Japan or other nearby countries, so you won’t have to deal with extremely slow connectivity.
Nevertheless, you might want to opt for a premium provider with Stealth VPN technology to avoid Deep Packet Inspection and other problems. Thus, if you want to roam the web freely in China while on a short trip, you can get a premium free trial VPN.
Are free VPNs safe to use?
VPNs are created to keep you secure and confidential while browsing the web. Nevertheless, a lot of free VPNs for Mac will do the opposite of that. Here are some dangers of using a random free VPN for Mac:
- Your data will be collected and sold to third parties. The providers usually do that to sustain themselves and make a profit. You can easily avoid this by subscribing to the best no-logs VPN.
- Free Mac VPNs will leak your data. That usually happens due to weak and outdated security features. Plus, you don’t get important features such as a kill switch and military-grade encryption.
- Costless services can infect your Mac. Malware can be embedded in the free VPN apps. That means hackers can see your financial details, sensitive information, and even whereabouts.
Therefore, it’s best to opt for a tried and tested free Mac VPN from our list. Whichever provider you choose, it won’t sell your data to third parties or infest your Mac with malware. Additionally, some of them can even bypass geo-restrictions and give you access to a variety of new content.
Free Mac VPNs to avoid
It’s clear by now that the Top 5 free Mac VPNs will ensure your safety and privacy on the web. However, there are plenty of terrible free services that will do more harm than good.
Therefore, to avoid any calamities, you should know which free Mac VPNs to steer clear of:
- Hola VPN – actually a P2P network, meaning that you’ll be accountable for any illegal actions happening on the network.
- OKVPN – avoid it at all costs, as it’s a malware injection machine
- VPNBook – will collect your logs and riddle your Mac with malware
- GOVPN – leaks your IP and DNS also will infest your devices with viruses
- BetternetVPN – keeps your logs to create targeted ads
- TurboVPN – another malware machine
- SuperVPN – nothing super about it. Downloads malware to your Mac
- VPN Gate – stores users’ logs, so your confidentiality will be compromised
Paid vs. Free Mac VPNs: which to pick?
The most significant benefit of free VPNs for Mac is, well, its price (or no price). Otherwise, premium services will always have the upper hand. They are faster, have more servers, better features, and no limitations. Not to mention, they surely won’t leak your data and will keep your Mac secure.
Even if you look up the best free Mac VPN on Reddit, you’ll see that the vast majority of internauts recommend picking a premium provider. Moreover, you don’t have to pay a fortune for a service, as there are cheap top-tier VPNs out there. Therefore, if you want to avoid problems and keep your Mac secure, pick a paid-for service, and you won’t regret it.
While Macs are generally quite secure, privacy-wise, they could use some improvement. To ensure your safety and unblock geo-restricted content, you’ll need a VPN. Moreover, you won’t have to pay a fortune, as you can get a reliable free VPN for Mac.
Our top recommendation is NordVPN. While it’s not entirely free, you can use the 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. That way, you’ll get sublime protection, loads of servers, and incredible speeds. Afterward, you can grab any plan, as it won’t burn a hole through your wallet.
What do you think is the best free VPN for Mac? Let us know by leaving a comment!
What is the best free VPN for Mac?
The best free VPN for Mac is NordVPN. You can use it for free for over 30 days with a free trial version and the money-back guarantee. Without any limitations, you’ll have unparalleled speeds, loads of servers to choose from, and top-tier security.
Is a VPN free on Mac?
Yes, there are some free Mac VPNs. However, not all of them are reliable or safe. Therefore, if you’re looking for a reliable, absolutely free Mac VPN, choose Atlas VPN. It comes with a few limitations, but it will keep you and your device secure and private.
Does my Macbook Pro need a VPN?
Yes, your Macbook Pro needs a VPN, and so does every other smart device that you have. Therefore, if you want to protect them all, opt for Surfshark VPN, as it’s the best free trial Mac VPN with unlimited connections.
Is VPN necessary on Mac?
Yes, a VPN for Mac is mandatory if you want to stay private and secure. Even if you can’t spare any money, you can opt for one of the Top 5 free Mac VPNs. They will come with a few curbs, but you’ll be much safer browsing, torrenting, or streaming.