IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) is a way to watch live TV channels without cable or satellite connections. You connect to your favorite channel via the internet, so there’s no need to pay additional fees to cable or satellite providers. However, you’re still at the mercy of your ISP (Internet Service Provider). And then there’s another frustration that IPTV doesn’t solve – geographical restrictions.
Luckily, you can circumvent these issues by choosing the best VPN for IPTV. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) works by routing your connection through a server in a remote location. That way, your actual IP address is hidden, your traffic encrypted, and you can access channels from all around the world.
Of course, not every VPN will cut it. That’s why we’ve selected some of the best VPNs for IPTV that are fast, cheap, and effective.
Best VPN for IPTV shortlist
- The ultimate VPN for IPTV9.6
- Fast and secure VPN for IPTV9.3
- Cheap VPN specifically for streaming9.0
- The best bargain IPTV VPN8.7
- IPTV VPN with unlimited connections8.5
How to use a VPN for IPTV
Can’t wait to access your favorite IPTV service? Here’s how to watch IPTV with a VPN:
- Subscribe to one of the best VPNs for IPTV. Our top choice is NordVPN, available for 63% off!
- Install the VPN app on your preferred IPTV viewing device.
- Connect to a server in the country where you’d like to access your desired IPTV service.
- Start up your IPTV channel and enjoy all the available content!
Why do you need a VPN to watch IPTV?
IPTV gives access to regional TV channels that are usually available on cable TV or satellite TV. As such, it’s not surprising that these channels are subjected to various geographical restrictions to keep the content available only locally.
Of course, such limitations are nothing but a nuisance once you have a VPN on your hands. With it, you can reroute your entire internet connection through a remote server, tricking everyone into thinking that you’re located in a different country or region.
Furthermore, a VPN offers much more benefits than that. For starters, your entire traffic is protected with strong encryption, making your online activities unreadable to your ISP and other potential snoopers. Additionally, your actual IP address is hidden behind the VPN server, masking your true identity from websites that want to siphon your personal information.
With so much happening when a VPN is enabled, you’d think that your internet connection would slow down to a crawl. However, that’s not the case when you’re using the fastest VPNs available. These services are utilizing the latest technology, for example, the WireGuard tunneling protocol, to ensure that connection speed reductions are kept to a minimum.
Additionally, they have vast and efficient server networks that allow you to connect to the closest available servers for peak performance. Not to mention all the security measures, such as a kill switch, that are in place to keep your data safe under any circumstances.
Best VPNs for IPTV
If you’re ready to commit and grab yourself an IPTV VPN, we have a list of the Top 6 best VPNs for IPTV. These services meet all the criteria that you need from a reliable IPTV VPN.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate VPN for IPTV
24/7 live chat, Email
- Excellent security
- Flawless privacy practices
- Fastest speeds
- Great server list (5700+ servers in 60 countries)
- Custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more
- Great app design and website
- 24/7 live chat and good knowledge-base
- Fair price
- Awesome for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- Great for China and other restricted countries
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best VPN for IPTV by far. With more than 5700 servers across 60+ countries, this service will have no trouble unblocking your favorite IPTV channel.
NordVPN utilizes the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol to ensure blazing-fast connection speeds. Additionally, the service is secured with solid military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and protection against malware.
You can also use NordVPN to secure a wide range of different devices, including Windows, Android TV, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and more. Plus, there are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Unsurprisingly, you can also set up your router with NordVPN to protect your home network and secure an unlimited number of devices.
This VPN is also known as the best VPN for streaming. That’s because it can easily get around various geographical restrictions and unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and much more.
To get started with NordVPN, you can grab a 7-day free trial on the Google Play Store and use the service on six devices simultaneously. Plus, you get an additional safety net in the form of a 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, subscriptions start at $3.29/month and come with a 63% discount.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – fast and secure VPN for IPTV
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Strong encryption
- Excellent performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Almost zero logs
- 24/7 live chat
- Unlocks Netflix and other platforms
- Great for torrenting
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Supports plenty of platforms and devices
- Cutting-edge Nexus feature
- No-logs policy hasn't been audited
The silver medal winner for Best VPN for IPTV is Surfshark. It’s equipped with 3200+ servers in 100 countries, giving plenty of options to access various IPTV services.
Surfshark is one of the cheapest VPNs that has implemented the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol, guaranteeing lightning-fast connectivity. It’s also excellent for privacy with features like CleanWeb, Alert, and Camouflage Mode.
One of the most significant advantages of Surfshark is that it allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices with a single subscription. Naturally, this wouldn’t be of much use if it wasn’t also compatible with many devices, such as Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Fire TV, AppleTV, browsers, and more. Naturally, manual VPN configuration on your router is also available.
If you’re willing to give Surfshark a chance, you can do so by getting a 7-day free trial on mobile devices. You’ll also have a 30-day money-back guarantee to try out the service even further. Finally, Surfshark subscriptions start at $2.30/month and come with an 82% discount.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap VPN specifically for streaming
24/7 live chat
- Good security
- Mostly privacy-friendly
- Decent global coverage
- Fast speeds
- Apps for main platforms
- Very cheap
- Excellent for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- 7-day free trial
- Support could be more responsive
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
If you’re looking for the most versatile VPN for streaming, look no further than PrivateVPN. While it has only 200+ servers in 63+ countries, it is remarkably efficient and performs exceptionally well.
Like any other worthwhile VPN, PrivateVPN uses solid AES-256 encryption, has a kill switch available, and doesn’t keep any logs. It’s also not plagued by any IP or DNS leaks.
What makes PrivateVPN so great for streaming is that it has dedicated servers for specific streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more. It also utilizes the OpenVPN tunneling protocol to ensure speed and security while streaming.
Furthermore, PrivateVPN has dedicated apps for some of the most popular streaming devices, such as Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Kodi. Naturally, other devices are supported as well, including manually configured routers.
Before committing to PrivateVPN, you can try it out with a 7-day free trial. After that, subscriptions start at $2.00/month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can also expect a nice 85% discount.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – the best bargain IPTV VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Very cheap
- Unlimited devices
- Great for streaming
- Allows torrenting
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Stops tracking, ads, and malware
- Few countries
- Apps lack features
For those who are feeling particularly frugal, there’s Atlas VPN. At an extremely affordable price, this VPN gives you access to 1000+ servers across 42+ countries, in addition to a load of other benefits.
To start, Atlas VPN has the ultra-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol at its disposal. If that’s not enough, there’s also a malware blocker and a tool to check if your data hasn’t ended up on a leaked database. Naturally, the VPN is also equipped with industry-standard encryption plus a reliable kill switch.
Additionally, Atlas VPN is available on all popular platforms, such as Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Plus, you get specialized apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. However, router manual configuration is not supported. On the bright side, you get unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
Streaming enthusiasts will be happy to hear that Atlas VPN works great at circumventing geographical restrictions on the most well-known streaming services, such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
To get started with the cheapest IPTV VPN, you can grab a subscription at an 85% discount for as little as $1.82/month. There’s also a great free version, but it won’t help you avoid geo-blocking. Naturally, the premium subscription is backed up by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – IPTV VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Excellent security
- Decent price
- No device limit
- Apps for major platforms, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Chromebook, and routers
- 24/7 live chat
- Good server list (2200 servers in 51 countries)
- Above-average speeds
- Not bad for torrenting
- Unblocks Netflix US
- Based in the US
- Not good for China
- No anonymous payment options
If you’re looking for a VPN to secure an entire army of devices, check out IPVanish. With 2200+ servers across 51 countries, you’ll have plenty of IPTV channel options to choose from.
While privacy is not a significant concern when using a VPN for IPTV, it’s important to note that IPVanish is based in the United States, a founding member of the Five Eyes Alliance. Still, the service is known for a solid no-logs policy and hasn’t been caught up in any privacy scandals recently.
When it comes to streaming, IPVanish offers excellent speeds with the WireGuard and IKEv2 tunneling protocols. And with its abundance of servers worldwide, it can unblock plenty of streaming services, such as Netflix. As a bonus, IPVanish users can get 500GB of encrypted cloud storage to secure their documents and files.
Once you’re ready to commit, the best price for IPVanish starts at $3.33/month and comes with a 72% discount. Additionally, IPVanish supports a wide range of devices and allows you to simultaneously connect an unlimited number of devices. Last but not least, your purchase is protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
6. PureVPN – IPTV VPN with the largest country selection
24/7 live chat
- Large server list with 20 Gbps options
- Unblocks Netflix and other platforms
- Temptingly low pricing
- Good range of supported platforms
- Advanced port forwarding
- Great 24/7 live chat support
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Anonymous payment options
- No kill switch for iOS
For those who have a strong need for a wide variety of countries to choose from, PureVPN is the service that you’re after. It offers a whopping 6500+ servers across 71+ countries, the largest selection out of all the VPNs mentioned here.
Despite its lack of WireGuard, PureVPN is quite fast with the OpenVPN and IKEv2 tunneling protocols. Additionally, the service is well secured with a kill switch, plus IP address and DNS leak protection.
When it comes to streaming, PureVPN performs reasonably well. Its good connection speed means that you won’t have to worry about stuttering or low-quality video. Plus, the service works well at getting around geo-blocks, including those by Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, and more. Additionally, PureVPN had its no-logs policy audited in 2019 by Altius IT to ensure top-notch privacy.
To get started with PureVPN, you can grab a subscription with a 81% discount for only $2.08/month. Plus, you get a 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
The best benefits of each VPN service
To summarise and to make the choice for you a little easier, we’ve highlighted the top benefits of each VPN.
|NordVPN||Fastest connection speeds|
|Surfshark||Fast and secure VPN for IPTV|
|PrivateVPN||Specialized servers for streaming|
|Atlas VPN||Cheapest secure VPN for IPTV|
|IPVanish||Unlimited simultaneous connections|
|PureVPN||Largest country selection|
What should you look for in a VPN for IPTV?
There are a few criteria that you should consider when choosing a VPN for IPTV:
- Speed. The last thing you want is your online TV to start lagging because of poor connectivity. To remedy this, look for a VPN that is well-known for speed and has the latest and greatest tunneling protocols. Plus, ISPs tend to throttle your bandwidth if they notice that you’re streaming IPTV online. A fast VPN will hide your activity and remedy such throttling.
- Privacy. A privacy-respecting VPN will hide all of your online habits and ensure that your ISP cannot discriminate against any of your activities. Furthermore, a good VPN should have a solid no-logs policy and should be based in a privacy-respecting jurisdiction.
- Compatibility. Depending on what device you plan on watching IPTV, you’ll need a VPN that is compatible with that particular device. Of course, you can also circumvent this issue by installing the VPN on your router or using Smart DNS. However, not every VPN is equipped with such options.
- Security. Browsing the internet in search of the perfect IPTV service comes with certain risks. If you hop into a webpage with potential malware, you’ll be glad if a secure VPN is by your side.
- Price. It’s essential to choose a VPN that has all the necessary features that you need. However, the service should be priced reasonably. To make the best choice, think about all the potential costs of a VPN.
Free VPN for IPTV
A free VPN for IPTV is not the best choice as it won’t fulfill your expectations. For starters:
- Free VPNs are slow and don’t have the latest secure tunneling protocols
- They make money by showing you annoying ads and selling your personal information
- The apps are filled with security flaws, bugs, and generally run poorly
- Usually, free VPNs aren’t as secure as they claim and lack any third-party audits
Best free VPN for watching IPTV
Of course, not every free VPN is a virus-filled scam that’s not worth your attention. There are a few free VPNs that are worth trying out. Naturally, even the best free VPN services come with a few blemishes. However, here are a few options that are worth considering:
- Atlas VPN. This freemium VPN offers 10 GB/month of data and three different server locations on the free plan. It’s also secured with a kill switch and uses WireGuard and IKEv2 tunneling protocols to maintain fast connection speed.
- Proton VPN. A go-to choice for privacy enthusiasts worldwide, Proton VPN is based in Switzerland and offers exceptional privacy and security features, even on the free plan. It’s also suitable for streaming, thanks to the unlimited amount of data.
- Windscribe. One of the most significant downsides of this otherwise excellent free VPN is the 10 GB/month data cap. Still, it offers a fair number of server locations and provides solid security features as well.
In any case, we highly recommend grabbing a free trial of a premium service instead. It will show you just how well these services perform and that they’re worth the affordable price.
Is IPTV considered illegal?
In some parts of the world, IPTV services are blocked by ISPs because they are considered illegal. This is in part because not all IPTV services are licensed to show the channels that they provide. Of course, that’s not the case with legitimate paid subscription services, such as SlingTV or Philo.
But that’s not the whole story. Some ISPs offer their own IPTV services, for example, AT&T. As such, it’s in their best interest to block (or at least throttle) competing IPTV channels from broadcasting on their networks. On the other hand, occasional IPTV websites will be unavailable to you simply because of geographical restrictions.
Whichever issue you’re facing, a top-shelf VPN can reliably get around geo-blocks and prevent ISPs from getting in the way of watching some entertainment.
IPTV services come in a wide variety of forms. Some are just alternatives to existing TV stations, while others offer an entire bundle of different channels. However, it’s important to remember that some services are illegitimate and do not have the license to broadcast certain content. In that case, IPTV channels might be throttled or even blocked by your ISP. On the other hand, some IPTV services are geographically restricted and won’t work in your area.
Whatever the case may be, a VPN is the perfect tool to save the day. It can reroute your connection through a remote server to circumvent any geographical restrictions. Additionally, it will mask your activity and tear down any blockades by your ISP.
What do you think is the best VPN for IPTV? Share your opinion by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
How to change your location with a VPN
Should I leave my VPN on all the time?
How to pay for a VPN anonymously
Best VPN for crypto trading
Best VPN for Crunchyroll
Is a VPN legal to use with IPTV?
Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal with IPTV. However, some IPTV services are considered illegal, so ensure that you’re using a legitimate service.
What is the best VPN for streaming?
The best VPN for streaming is NordVPN. It’s exceptionally fast, has loads of servers worldwide, and can easily get around a wide range of geographical restrictions.
How can I watch IPTV through a VPN?
To watch IPTV through a VPN, simply connect to a server in a country where the IPTV service is available. Once that’s done, you can access your desired IPTV channel.
Can internet providers block IPTV?
Yes, internet service providers can throttle and even block IPTV websites. They do this because some channels are considered illegal or are made by competing ISPs.