Malaysia isn’t the most restricted country globally, but internet freedom remains highly controlled. In the past years, the government has temporarily blocked news websites, blogs, and even the popular blogging platforms.
Malaysian authorities can ban content deemed indecent, obscene, false, threatening, or offensive on a whim.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can keep you hidden from surveillance. It can also unblock geo-restricted content, thus allowing you to access more entertainment options. With a good VPN for Malaysia, you’ll be able to watch Netflix, YouTube, and other streaming platforms.
Although, not all providers are capable of doing that. We’ve selected the 5 best VPNs for Malaysia worth looking into.
Best VPN for Malaysia: shortlist
- The best VPN for Malaysia9.7
- Malaysia VPN with excellent security9.5
- Streaming-focused VPN for Malaysia9.1
- Malaysia VPN with malware detection8.8
- Best free version option in Malaysia8.5
How to get the best VPN for Malaysia
Why do you need a VPN in Malaysia?
The cyber landscape is highly controlled. Whether traveling or living in Malaysia, you might find it challenging to open up certain websites due to censorship. Therefore, a proper VPN will give you access and keep you out of trouble.
Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) hasn’t released any official blocked site list. Still, according to Freedom House report, a big part of political, gambling, and LGBT-related websites are constantly blocked.
Over the past several years, online commentators have been prosecuted for statements, particularly those criticizing ex-Prime Minister Najib Razak.
To top it off, Torrenting is illegal and may lead to around 20 years of prison. With a trustworthy VPN, you can get around any restrictions and gain access to the needed resources. A VPN hides your IP address and prevents your Internet Service Provider from monitoring your Internet activity. In addition, it will protect you from scams and prevent throttled connection speed.
To ensure a trouble-free browsing experience, a VPN in Malaysia is a must.
Best VPNs for Malaysia in 2022: overview
Each suggested VPN has some similarities, like having apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Not to mention fast connection speeds, superior security features, and a vast server network in Malaysia.
To find the top VPN for Malaysia, we evaluated services based on the following criteria:
- Secure VPN protocols
- Vast server fleet worldwide
- IP and DNS leak prtection
- Ability to bypass geographical restriction
- A strong kill switch
Below, you’ll find more information about what makes each VPN special.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Malaysia
NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- High-speed connectivity
- Independently audited and secure
- Widest server network on the list
- No router app
NordVPN is the perfect choice for every type of user in a restrictive country like Malaysia, with the highest-level speed, military-grade security, and privacy standards. It also works on all kinds of platforms for your convenience.
NordVPN offers encryption that banks and government institutions use to ensure maximum security. Not to mention, there’s IP and DNS leak protection that will come in handy when browsing. Other great benefits include a kill switch, an independently audited no-logs policy, and the NordLynx tunneling protocol that provides top performance across the globe.
And if you want to torrent or use streaming services privately, don’t worry. With 5800+ servers in 60+ locations, this VPN is a top-drawer solution for your international browsing needs. In addition, NordVPN is based in privacy-friendly Panama, which doesn’t force companies to collect data and doesn’t comply with foreign authorities.
Test the waters with the 7-day free trial for Android. Increase your security in the cyber world for only $3.49/month, or find a deal that suits you best with a NordVPN coupon code. Moreover, the plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Malaysia VPN with excellent security
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Infinite connections
- Fast and secure
- Excellent country variety
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark packs quite a punch when it comes to speed, security, and server coverage. Therefore, it’s a worthy VPN for Malaysia to consider.
Just like any other top-notch VPN, Surfshark offers excellent privacy features. For instance, it has a Camouflage and NoBorders mode, disguising any VPN traffic. Another great benefit is MultiHop which connects you to 2 different servers for higher security. Best of all, you can keep your whole family protected, as this VPN offers infinite connections.
Surfshark has a 3200+ RAM-only server fleet and lets you torrent as much as you want. You’ll access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more streaming services. It’s also compatible with all major mobile and desktop devices.
Just like with NordVPN, you can put Surfshark to the test with a free 7-day trial on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Alternatively, Premium plans start at $2.30/month, making it one of the cheapest VPNs. You’ll be further protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Use a Surfshark coupon code to get other deals.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – streaming-focused VPN for Malaysia
OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP
- Strict no-log policy
- Excellent for streaming
- 7-day free trial
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
PrivateVPN provides fantastic connection speeds alongside the ability to unblock geo-restricted content without breaking a sweat. At 200+ servers in 63+ countries, this is the smallest fleet on this list. Nonetheless, with these fully-owned servers, it’s a powerful provider that deserves consideration.
PrivateVPN is one of the best VPNs for streaming. It can easily bypass geo-blocks on HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, and many others. Moreover, you can install it on Android TV, Amazon Fire OS devices, Roku, and Kodi.
This VPN is also a solid choice for torrenting as it comes equipped with port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxy features. You can also deal with restrictive networks thanks to the Stealth VPN and Shadowsocks options.
At $2.00/month and 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s certainly an excellent choice. Don’t forget to grab a PrivateVPN coupon. Or start your 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Malaysia VPN with malware detection
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec
- Unlimited connections
- Fast connectivity
- Malware protection
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish will suit any local or traveler. It’s a great choice if you are looking for a way to break away from unjust government restrictions online, advanced security features, and only 1 subscription to protect all your devices in Malaysia.
Industry-standard AES 256-bit encryption will keep you safe at any time. There are also plenty of tunneling protocols to choose from. For example, WireGuard is proven to be secure and fast. A vast 2200+ server network covers 51+ locations (including Malaysia) to access your streaming accounts. Additionally, the OpenVPN traffic scramble feature lets you easily bypass strict firewalls.
This provider is located in the US, but this shouldn’t be a privacy concern since IPVanish is a VPN with a no-logs policy. Furthermore, IPVanish offers strong protection against DNS, IP, and WebRTC leaks.
Get IPVanish from $2.99/month. As per usual, a 30-day money-back guarantee will protect all longer than a month plan. And to sweeten the deal, check out the dedicated IPVanish coupon page.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – best free version option in Malaysia
- Freemium version
- Secure and affordable
- Infinite connections
- No manual router configuration
Atlas VPN is a leader when it comes to affordability. It comes with a massive perk of unlimited simultaneous connections. It’s the best free VPN option for Malaysia.
The free version grants 10 GB/month of data. You won’t have to worry about creating an account or sharing any personal data. It’s a massive benefit in a country where the cyber landscape is under a magnifying glass. Although, free version users will only gain access to 3 servers and won’t be able to see geo-blocked content on some platforms.
By upgrading to a Premium version, you’ll have access to all 1000+ servers, and foreign streaming services. Atlas VPN’s SafeSwap servers will cover your online tracks with multiple IP addresses. For surpassing surveillance and censorship, Multihop+ feature will do the job. Last but not least, know if your personal info is leaked with Data Breach Monitoring.
The best price is just $1.82/month. You can find special deals by visiting the Atlas VPN discount coupons page. Since the free version won’t let you test everything, Premium users get the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
What should I look for in a VPN for Malaysia?
Want to form your own opinion on specific VPNs in Malaysia? We’re here to lend you a hand with a list of essential requirements:
- Servers. The bigger the server fleet, the better. Moreover, check if the servers are self-owned, dedicated, or RAM-only for better performance.
- Privacy. Like in real life, don’t let random weirdos invade your personal space. Make sure that a VPN doesn’t collect your data. Moreover, try to avoid VPNs that are based countries that are a part of Five, Nine, and Fourteen Eyes agreement.
- Speed. Connectivity is everything when it comes to browsing. Pick a service that has WireGuard protocol for smooth surfing.
- Security. A worthy VPN should be jam-packed with crucial security features, like AES encryption, a kill switch, and other security protocols.
- Price. A good VPN shouldn’t break your bank. A top-of-the-line service shouldn’t cost you more than $4.00 per month on a long-term plan.
- Compatibility. You’ll want a VPN to secure all of your smart devices. In addition, make sure that the VPN has dedicated apps for your most frequently used tech.
- Customer support. If you are not super tech-savvy, it might be difficult to tell why something isn’t working correctly. In which case, having a guiding hand that can help you 24/7 is a great benefit.
Can I use a free VPN for Malaysia?
Although there are loads of free VPNs for Malaysia, it’s not recommended to use them anywhere. Here are a few simple reasons:
- They won’t let you bypass geo-restrictions. So, you won’t be able to access most of the streaming services. For example, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc.
- Your safety and privacy will be compromised. Free VPNs sell your data to third parties. In addition, some go as far as injecting malware into your devices.
- Most providers have a few locations to pick from. It leads to congested traffic and sluggish speeds.
Of course, if you can’t pay for Premium, there are some safe free VPN options for Malaysia, such as Atlas VPN. Instead of selling your data for money, this provider survives by selling their products, allowing them to maintain quality free versions. By grabbing Atlas VPN freemium, you’ll get military-grade encryption, zero IP, DNS or personal data leaks, privacy, and other great benefits.
Nonetheless, note that our top 5 recommended providers offer VPN services absolutely risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s what you’ll get during the month and how much it’s going to cost afterwards:
- NordVPN – thousands of servers globally, incredible speed, NASA-grade protection, absolute privacy and loads of nifty features to keep you totally satisfied. After the 30 days, NordVPN subscription prices start at $3.49/month.
- Surfshark VPN – cutting-edge tech, unlimited connections, impenetrable security and access to geo-restricted content. The starting price for Surfshark is just $2.30/month and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN – versatile VPN with exceptional device compatibility, stable performance, and great prices. Starting price of PrivateVPN is $2.00/month and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Whether you’re looking for a way around the MCMC’s draconian content filtering or simply looking for a way to express yourself online, a proper VPN can keep you safe in the cyber world.
Which VPNs have you used before in Malaysia? Did we miss any great VPNs for Malaysia? Let us know in the comments below.
You may also like to read:
Are VPNs legal in Malaysia?
Yes, VPNs are perfectly legal in Malaysia. You don’t have to worry about breaking the law. The primary purpose of a VPN is to keep you out of harm’s way and give you complete data and privacy security.
What is the best VPN in Malaysia?
We recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for Malaysia. For a good price, get top-drawer security and privacy features, amazing speed, and access to geo-blocked content.
Is torrenting legal in Malaysia?
No, torrenting is illegal in Malaysia, and most of the sites are blocked. For downloading copyrighted content, you can get fined or even imprisoned. A good VPN, for instance NordVPN, will keep you covered.
Can I use a free VPN in Malaysia?
No, using a free VPN can actually harm you even more. Most of them are notorious for selling user information to third parties and compromising your safety while being incapable of unlocking geo-restricted content.
Which VPN has a Malaysia server?
NordVPN, Surfshark, PrivateVPN, IPVanish, and Atlas VPN all have servers in Malaysia. We highly suggest surfing the web with NordVPN, as it has robust encryption, fast connection speeds, and a variety of extra security features.