Reliance Jio is India’s biggest mobile network operator, supplying connectivity to ~400 million customers in the South Asia region. It offers some of the cheapest plans for internet, home broadband, telephone, and television, so the huge popularity isn’t surprising. However, there are significant problems with how this provider runs its services.
Besides blocking some VPN websites since the start of 2019, Reliance Jio is notorious for violating net neutrality agreements and imposing severe data caps.
These issues are fixable if you utilize Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) that actually work with this Internet Service Provider (ISP). Changing your IP address does wonders for the privacy of your online identity and circumvents all kinds of restrictions. We provide advice to worried customers about the best ways to protect their privacy with the best VPN for Jio.
Best VPN for Jio 2022: shortlist
- The best VPN for Jio9.6
- Jio VPN with top-notch privacy9.5
- Extra cheap VPN for Jio9.1
- Jio VPN with no virtual servers8.9
- Best free VPN for Jio8.4
How to set up a VPN for Jio
- Subscribe to a robust Jio VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the software on your device or set it up on a router
- Connect to a server best for you
- Bypass restrictions imposed by Reliance Jio!
Why do you need a VPN for Reliance Jio?
Over the years, Reliance Jio users have noted that this service tends to block websites left and right. The recent victim was pornographic pages, leaving users scrambling for the appropriate porn VPNs. File-sharing spaces have alse been barred for the frustration of many. Most proxy sites and regular websites, like SoundCloud, can’t be accessed to this day.
Jio isn’t a stranger to monitoring online activities either. The provider uses Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) technology to track your traffic and throttle bandwidth if you’re doing anything data-intensive. It includes streaming, torrenting, and downloading bigger files on the Jio 4G Network.
On a lighter note, this ISP offers customers a free live TV streaming platform called Jio TV. It’s a convenient app boasting 895+ channels, from local ones to international picks like MTV, TLC, NTV, Cartoon Network, etc., in several languages. To the frustration of expats, Jio TV only works if you have an Indian IP.
The best VPNs for Jio take care of these problems by encrypting all online traffic with an unbreakable cipher. Once you get another IP address, this ISP can’t follow your actions, and previously blocked content becomes accessible again. Plus, Reliance Jio can’t throttle what they can’t see.
5 best VPNs for Jio: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Jio, in our opinion. It doesn’t collect any data, is the fastest provider in the market, and very reliable when it comes to unblocking restricted content.
- Surfshark VPN – a Jio VPN with top-notch privacy. It offers plenty of protection tools, extra handy features for a small cost, and there’s no device limit to help you secure everything you need.
- PrivateVPN – an extra cheap VPN for Jio. It’s great for bypassing geo-blocks, and you can pay for the subscription anonymously with Bitcoin.
- IPVanish – Jio VPN with no virtual servers. It has no device limit, adheres to a strict no-logs policy, and great performance is a guarantee, thanks to the WireGuard protocol.
- Atlas VPN – the best free VPN for Jio. Both free and premium versions have the necessary tools to keep you safe and hidden from any third-party tracking. Plus, you get to secure an unlimited number of devices.
Ensuring that you remain undetectable is the top priority, so the appropriate Jio VPN has to include tools that do just that. We’re talking about high-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP and DNS leak protection. Having an extensive server fleet also guarantees access to all kinds of content usually blocked in India.
If you’re all about streaming, torrenting, and online gaming, don’t forget to check out the fastest VPNs. These usually include the latest tunneling protocols, crucial for maintaining optimal speeds. Finally, services with many simultaneous connections should be prioritized as this will allow you to secure every device that utilizes the Reliance Jio Network.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Jio
- RAM-only standard servers
- SmartPlay for bypassing geo-blocks
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for Jio and an excellent tool when it comes to battling this ISP’s user-unfriendly practices. The provider operates from Panama and boasts an independently-audited zero-logs policy, so rest assured – you’re free from monitoring. And since India doesn’t shy away from snooping on citizens, you can pay with cryptocurrency.
NordVPN isn’t called the fastest VPN without reason, as the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol powers everything. Finding the best server for you isn’t going to be a problem either when the network consists of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Plus, easy DPI circumvention can be done by picking Obfuscated servers.
This provider excels on the geo-restriction bypassing front thanks to SmartPlay – connecting to another country grants access to content usually blocked by Jio. It includes streaming services, government-banned websites, etc. Moreover, torrenters won’t run into issues and will benefit from the specialty P2P servers.
Try using a NordVPN code during checkout to pay no more than $2.99/month – all subscriptions come with 6 simultaneous connections. You can check out what you’re getting with the 7-day free trial version or commit from the get-go since purchases are protected with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Jio VPN with top-notch privacy
- Extra security features for a small price
- Smart DNS for unsupported devices
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Hailing from a country with no data retention laws – the Netherlands – Surfshark VPN is another great choice for Reliance Jio customers. The company behind it doesn’t collect any user data and offers many robust protection tools to combat surveillance. The cherry on top, of course, is that you can purchase it with Bitcoin, Ether, etc.
3200+ servers across 100+ countries give more than enough choices to evade surveillance and access blocked content. The whole network is RAM-only, meaning no info is stored or can be retrieved later if the authorities come knockin’. Other notable things include the WireGuard protocol and Nexus update, which ensure connections are extra fast & stable.
MultiHop and CleanWeb got you covered on the security front, while Camouflage and NoBorders modes help access the internet even in the most restrictive countries. Entertainment enthusiasts aren’t left out either – torrenting is allowed on all servers, and there are plenty of streaming platforms to explore, like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, etc.
Coming at $1.99/month after applying a Surfshark VPN coupon, it’s a reliable Jio VPN with no device limit. There’s a 7-day free trial available for curious folk, while go-getters can subscribe risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – extra cheap VPN for Jio
- User-friendly apps
- Owns the whole server fleet
- Excellent price-to-feature ratio
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Achieve utmost anonymity with a VPN created just for that – PrivateVPN. There’s no surveillance happening behind the scenes by the provider itself as indicated by the no-logs policy. Moreover, subscribers get to boost the security of up to 10 devices with the powerful features this provider offers. Just pay with Bitcoin and get going.
PrivateVPN owns the tight-knit network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries, significantly improving its reliability. This small-scale operation boasts great connectivity and low latency due to buying High Quality Network (HQN) from the source and not intermediaries. Less routing hops make a world of difference for speeds.
If having access to Jio TV is not enough, scratch your entertainment itch with foreign Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ libraries. And downloading and uploading files via P2P is as smooth as butter since torrenting is enabled on all servers.
Enter a PrivateVPN code before finalizing the purchase to pay only $2.00/month for one of the best Jio VPNs on the market. There’s no rush to commit when the 7-day free trial is yours for the taking. But subscribing gives you even more time to decide if it’s right with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Jio VPN with no virtual servers
- Unlimited connections
- Wicked fast
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Easily bypass Reliance Jio’s throttling and content blocking efforts with IPVanish. There won’t be any monitoring happening on all sides, even from the provider itself – the independently-audited no-logs policy attests to that. Furthermore, users get unlimited simultaneous connections so that no device at home becomes a liability.
Another rare service that owns the hardware, IPVanish has plenty to offer location-wise with its network of 2000+ servers in 2000+ countries. 4K-ready speeds are a true and tested reality with the next-gen WireGuard protocol. We’re sure this excellent performance can also be attributed to the fact all servers are bare-metal.
India’s censorship efforts will be fruitless when you enable the OpenVPN Scramble feature in the settings. And with Jio not being able to see what you’re doing, other online activities become viable as well, like sharing files via P2P, supported on all servers.
You can knock down the price of this Jio VPN to $3.99/month by utilizing an IPVanish coupon. Subscribers don’t suffer any monetary losses due to the 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s the next best thing since there’s no trial version to take out for a spin.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – best free VPN for Jio
- Excellent free version
- Anonymous payment methods
- Great against restrictions
- No router configuration
If you’re running on a tight budget, Atlas VPN is your best bet for Jio. It’s one of the cheapest VPNs that isn’t lacking in the security department regarding protection tools. Besides preventing snoopers from tracking you, this provider doesn’t participate in such activities itself – the strict no-logs policy is proof of that.
The network of 750+ servers scattered across 37+ countries has everything you need to circumvent ISP-imposed internet restrictions. Crisp video quality and quick downloads won’t be surprising either since the WireGuard tunneling protocol is available. Plus, you can further hide your tracks with the MultiHop+ feature.
Atlas VPN also offers a free version – it comes with the necessary tools to combat surveillance but is limited in other aspects. There’s a 5 GB/month data cap, for one, and only 3 server locations. While P2P is allowed, streaming enthusiasts won’t be able to unblock any foreign region-locked streaming services.
After applying an Atlas VPN discount code, you essentially pay pocket change – just $1.64/month. Subscribers get to secure an unlimited number of devices, and the 30-day money-back guarantee protects their purchase. Try the free version and upgrade when it becomes not enough.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How we picked the best VPN for Jio
With Reliance Jio imposing rigid internet restrictions on its customers, the service you pick has to include the right tools to combat it. We made our top Jio VPN list based on a few crucial factors:
- Lightning-fast speeds. You’ll see a significant improvement since Jio’s bandwidth throttling practices won’t be a bother anymore. But if you want to upkeep quick loading times and low latency throughout daily online activities, you can’t overlook the latest tunneling protocols. Check out what you’re getting with our VPN speed test tool.
- Global presence. India is known for mandating internet disruptions for many reasons, from curbing political protests to simply stopping cheating during exams. It’s critical to be able to connect to any country you want if you’re ever caught in the crossfire. Plus, having more regions expands your foreign content options.
- Robust security. Since this ISP tracks what you’re doing via Deep Packet Inspection (DPI), you need features to counter it. We recommend avoiding Jio VPNs that don’t include a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and IP and DNS leak protection.
- Total anonymity. A no-logs policy will be your best friend for staying hidden, paired with the aforementioned tools. Extra points go to those services that have had this policy audited by an independent & reputable third party.
- Entertainment. The VPN for Jio you end up with should ensure great performance whether you’re watching videos, torrenting, gaming, etc. And because India has blocked various foreign goods, like the popular streaming platform Twitch or the online battle royale PUBG, it should easily grant you access to them as well.
- Device compatibility. Everything connected to the Jio network is at risk, so the VPN provider should support all your devices at home. If you can’t secure some systems by installing the client on them, manually configuring a VPN on your router should be an option.
- Reasonable price. Even though we’re talking about premium VPNs, we aren’t keen on promoting sub-par services. Keep in mind that an excellent provider doesn’t have to be expensive.
Jio and VPN – what’s happening
Back in 2019, the changes came seemingly overnight. Proxy sites like Megaproxy, Proxy.toolur, VPNbook, Kproxy, and Hidester became inaccessible for Jio users while remaining available for subscribers of other Indian ISPs.
The crackdown came as the government started targeting certain online content, including privacy tools like VPNs. It looks like New Delhi is seeking tighter control over how people use the web – numerous commentators have suggested net neutrality is the real target here.
VPNs are a well-known way to work around geo-blockers and other filters. Until Jio started its anti-VPN campaign, Indian web users had a way out. Now, as many providers are knocked out of action, the question is: which VPNs can Reliance Jio subscribers rely on?
That’s where this article comes in. We’ve scoured the market for India VPNs that really work – despite Jio’s efforts to prohibit them. So, let’s get into the details and try to make some suggestions that will keep you hidden and free to do what you want online.
How to access blocked VPN websites in India
We’re stuck in a sort of paradoxical situation here. You want to access a restricted VPN website, but you need the software in question to do that, and to get it, you have to download the VPN from the official page that is blocked. See the problem? Thankfully, there are workarounds:
- Tor Browser. The safest browser out there, Tor encrypts all traffic via the multi-layered routing system. Not only you’ll be untraceable, but blocked websites will also become available.
- Public Wi-Fi. Albeit risky, it would be for a good cause – to secure yourself by getting a proper VPN. Connect to a free network and quickly do what you have to do. Once everything is set up, enable the VPN and disconnect from the Wi-Fi.
- Another ISP. At the moment of writing, only Reliance Jio seems to be blocking VPN and proxy websites. If possible, connect your device to another internet provider to access the pages.
How to use a VPN in Jio phone
- Clear your phone’s cache and change its location so you can access VPN provider websites. Go to the Settings > Location, and toggle the Location switch off.
- Download a robust Jio VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, excellent against geo-blocks and throttling.
- Install the client on your phone
- Connect to a server closest to you
- Enjoy the unrestricted internet!
VPN not working on Jio
If your speeds are abysmal or you can’t access previously unblocked content, chances are there’s some kind of Jio VPN connection issue. Before you start panicking, make sure everything is configured correctly on your end. You might be facing VPN errors because of:
- Blocked or overcrowded servers. While Jio allows using VPNs, it doesn’t shy away from blocking popular ports to stop users from circumventing restrictions. In other cases, you might just be connected to a server with too many users, causing congestion. Simply pick another one and see if that solves anything.
- Incorrect tunneling protocols. Some protocols work better than others when it comes to battling Jio’s internet limitations. Don’t be afraid to cycle through all the available options – some users report that PPTP doesn’t work anymore, but L2TP does.
- Actual location is leaking. IP and DNS leaks could be throwing a wrench into this whole operation. Make sure you didn’t turn off the security settings while tinkering with the VPN.
- Outdated software. Never miss out on updating your VPN client, as improvements and bug fixes are crucial for overall security and the software’s functionality. The older version might simply not be able to do its job anymore.
- Corrupted TAP drivers. If you’ve opted to set up the VPN on your Jio fiber router and tried several providers, the drivers in question were likely messed up in the process. Delete them and install a fresh batch.
If none of these solve anything, contact your provider’s customer support for further troubleshooting. The problem might be that the service you’re currently subscribed to doesn’t work with Jio anymore. In this case, the correct step would be to get a trustworthy Jio VPN that won’t cause any issues.
Best free VPN for Reliance Jio
It’s very tempting to reap the benefits of Jio VPNs without paying a dime, but you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot. Metaphorically, of course. We’re talking about the fact that the majority of free VPNs put your privacy & security at risk instead of bolstering it. Other serious issues include but are not limited to:
- Severe bandwidth caps – if you find Jio’s throttling unbearable, additional data limits will have you pulling your hair out of frustration. Few and overcrowded servers certainly won’t make things better either.
- Surveillance – free VPNs manage to stay afloat by tracking what you do while connected to it and selling this info to anyone with the right amount of cash. So, prepare for trouble, and make it double, triple, or quadruple since there are no limits to who could be monitoring you.
- Unsafe clients – how about some malware? It comes as a little treat to unsuspecting subscribers, alongside adware, ransomware, spyware, keyloggers, and other kinds of malicious software ready to wreck your devices.
- Data leaks – dedicated to doing the opposite, many free providers tend not to include even the essential VPN tools meant to keep you hidden. And if your IP address is leaking, you can’t do anything to combat Reliance Jio.
Now, there are two ways you can go about this. The first is cycling through free trials of reliable VPNs. Sure, you’re only getting 7 days to do what you need to, but at least it’s better than using Jio without any protection at all. Who knows, you might end up subscribing to one service or another.
The other option is subscribing to services proven not to put their free tier users at risk for profit. It includes being transparent about their policies and how they make it all work. We’ve found Atlas VPN and Proton VPN to be great choices in this regard.
Reliance Jio’s increasing popularity means that more and more of India’s citizens will lose access to the unrestricted internet. With the country having a penchant for surveillance and blocking websites left and right, net neutrality and the right to privacy are also at risk.
However, you can fight back and regain some semblance of anonymity with high-quality VPNs. Utilizing the right providers, like NordVPN, will make it much harder for Jio to control your activity or let alone see what you’re doing. Give yourself the tools you need to protect your online identity.
Has using a VPN improved your Jio experience? Let us know in the comment section below!
Does a VPN increase Jio speed?
Yes, but only if Jio is currently throttling your internet. In other cases, VPNs tend to slow everything down since your traffic gets routed through encrypted channels. A minimal drop in performance is possible with the fastest VPNs, since they have the latest tunneling protocols.
Does Jio ban VPNs?
No, Jio doesn’t ban VPNs, but it has blocked several VPN and proxy websites. It was done to stop people from trying to bypass various website restrictions imposed by the Indian government.
Which VPN is best for Jio?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Jio. It’s perfect for circumventing blocks, has plenty of regions you can connect to, and facilitates some of the best speeds in the industry, thanks to the in-house NordLynx protocol.
Is VPN blocked in India?
Currently, VPNs aren’t blocked in India and are legal to use. If you’re unsure whether VPNs are legal in your country, we have a handy list that is updated whenever changes occur.