Torrenting has seen a resurgence in recent years as privacy and security concerns become more prevalent for users accessing content online.
In addition, the ongoing problems with Kodi and some of the third-party add-ons available on the platform are only helping to push people back to torrenting.
The most powerful VPN on the market covers all of a torrenter’s speed and security needs.
Not only the fastest VPN at the moment, but also one that has some great deals for users.
Cheap and user friendly – CyberGhost offers a great server list and good P2P capabilities.
However, given the nature of torrenting and the wealth of content, it can provide, a reliable torrenting website is hard to find these days. Until recently, we depended on uTorrent to meet our torrenting needs but with its recent spate of issues, the quest for a decent uTorrent alternatives is upon us.
Why do we need to consider uTorrent alternatives?
uTorrent has had several issues recently that have impacted users. Users of Windows 10 PCs, for example, report that they can’t even open the software on their computers.
Additionally, Russian and Ukrainian users complain about being tricked into downloading the Yandex browser when they attempt to install uTorrent. Other users have talked about rootkit malware that is installed on your system when you upgrade. There have also been reports of hacking, inability to download and general discontentment with the software.
It’s for these reasons and others that we need to look for the most reliable uTorrent alternatives, which is not easy, as reliable torrent sites are increasingly hard to come by, what with the growing restrictions on torrent usage worldwide.
However, if you are a torrent user, you don’t need to worry! In this article, we’re going to tell you all about uTorrent alternatives that you can use. These have all been tested, so we know that right now, they’re working just fine.
It was quite challenging finding these – we often found ourselves getting stuck installing bogus programs stuffed with advertisements. Some programs that we did find weren’t accessible everywhere. Some were unreliable.
This is why we ended up creating a set of criteria for all of the programs we tested. The uTorrent alternatives below are sorted according to the following criteria:
- Storage space
We’re also weighing in the pros and cons of each, and then we’ll provide you with a final verdict with our recommendation as well. So, if you’re looking for safe and reliable uTorrent alternatives, read on!
Top 10 uTorrent alternatives
And here we are! After extensive research, we’ve compiled a list of the ten best uTorrent alternatives. Let’s begin!
A uTorrent replacement with surprising features
Tixati filled all of our requirements and even surpassed them, making it an excellent alternative for uTorrent users.
- Reliability: Tixati is quite secure even though its user interface isn’t all that impressive. It might look like the hundreds of useless torrent clients on the internet but don’t fall for that. It’s actually pretty good and you can always change the way it looks.
- Flexibility: Tixati can be very customizable, much like uTorrent used to be so you can change its interface as you see fit. This is probably why not much emphasis has gone into its default interface. The users will change it however they want to.
- Storage Space: Like uTorrent, Tixati is pretty lightweight, meaning that not much of your storage will be used for this program.
Additionally, it has great encryption and includes all of the standard torrenting features like throttling, bandwidth management and others that you’ve grown accustomed to. Furthermore, it also includes a chat box to improve communication between users.
Verdict: We recommend it for those looking for quick, lightning fast torrenting as well as those who love to customize their torrent software according to their preferences.
A replacement with support
Deluge made it next to our list because, like Tixati, it offered an exciting combination of resources that will benefit you while torrenting.
- Reliability: Deluge is available across Windows, Linux and Users of all three operating systems sing praises for it. Additionally, it also comes with a third-party and official support plugins as well. There’s also a Deluge support plugin available to download which will look at issues that you might be facing with Deluge.
- Flexibility: Deluge is very flexible. You can download it however you like- with the original source code if you want. You can even leave out RSS support if you don’t want it. You can easily mix and match your favorite features and it’s very customizable.
- Storage Space: Deluge is lightweight with a very simple user-friendly interface.
Additional features also include remote access features.
Verdict: It’s a great cross-platform torrent which you can to get your hands dirty.
A substitute for uTorrent that doesn’t disappoint
qBittorrent is very similar to uTorrent, making it our personal favorite. Here’s why:
- Reliability: qBittorrent is safe, with a search engine available that supports both torrent files as well as magnet links. It also has an installer available for downloading extra plugins.
- Flexibility: Similar to uTorrent, qBittorrent has customization features that allow you to create personalized variants of the torrent as well. Additionally, it also includes smart features like hibernating your desktop after downloads have finished.
- Storage Space: qBittorrent is lightweight. It also has no ads which is really nice considering how many there were on uTorrent.
qBittorrent has everything that uTorrent did at its peak, and then some more. This is why we much prefer it over others. It has a very easily accessible toolbar which includes all control features, making it easy to navigate.
Verdict: qBittorrent is perfect for those who are beginning to torrent and those who want uTorrent without the ads issue.
A uTorrent alternative which is great- once you get a hang of it
Transmission is available across a range of operating systems including Linux, Mac, and Windows, where it is rising in popularity. The reason behind its rise in popularity is because Transmission is a torrent software that is recovering from past issues.
It used to be rife with security issues and malware, but over the last few years, it has been able to turn around its reputation and has shown that it can be great for torrenting.
- Reliability: Transmission’s team is working hard to make it very reliable. Past experience with malware has resulted in it becoming even stronger and more secure. Because of its previous reputation, Transmission is determined to make every user’s experience as positive as possible.
- Flexibility: Unlike the other uTorrent alternatives on this list, we admit that Transmission isn’t the most flexible. Its Windows version, in particular, has only basic features. Its interface is quite unusual, but it manages to get the job done so you can easily overlook it.
- Storage Space: Transmission allows for superfast torrenting. It isn’t heavy on storage either, so that’s a plus point for Transmission.
However, a major turn off from Transmission for a lot of users is its interface. As mentioned, its interface is quite unusual with many ‘hidden’ options in the software which many find tedious to look for. However, if you’re willing to take the time and learn about these, then you have an excellent uTorrent alternative!
Verdict: Transmission wasn’t our first choice. However, once you get the hang of it it, it is quite good so we would suggest that you take the time to learn it.
A torrent client you never knew you needed
Another favorite of ours on the list is FrostWire. FrostWire provides a search engine of its through which you can find any torrent files that you want. This includes extra features for FrostWire itself.
- Reliability: FrostWire is very reliable with its downloading speed. Additionally, it includes all the basic torrenting features you’ll need as well as more advanced features that other torrents might not cover. Furthermore, it is compatible with both, Windows and Mac as well and also offers clients for Android.
- Flexibility: FrostWire has a very simple interface that can’t really be altered. That can be quite a nuisance for some people as its design is somewhat off-putting.
- Storage Space: Like most torrent clients on this list, FrostWire isn’t too harsh on the storage space either making it quite effortless to work with.
FrostWires list of features includes the ability to discover cloud bases and BitTorrent files easily on its own search engine. However, it does need some getting used to, but once you do get used to it, it’s a great software to have in your arsenal.
Verdict: FrostWire is great for those looking for a torrent client specifically for audio files. FrostWire has actually been designed with this mind which is why you’ll find an iTunes plugin in the torrent client, something not usually found in other software.
A simple torrenting software for your everyday torrenting needs
CuteTorrent can do everything that you’d need for your everyday torrenting activities. It also includes a bunch of interesting features such as peer to peer exchange and web seeding as well as other torrenting features like torrent filtering and more.
- Reliability: CuteTorrent has a reputation for being reliable which is why you can use this for all of your basic torrenting needs. It is actually quite simple to work with and easy to use.
- Flexibility: CuteTorrent is somewhat customizable. Its capacities are limited but users love this software mainly for all the features it includes such as torrent sharing and more.
- Storage Space: CuteTorrent is very lightweight making it great to work with. This is why it is a lot of torrenting users’ choice and a great uTorrent alternate you should definitely look into.
CuteTorrent has a simple, user-friendly interface which is quite easy to learn. Unlike other software on this list, you won’t be put off by it. The creators of CuteTorrent realized how people react to different interfaces so they kept it simple and intuitive.
Verdict: CuteTorrent is a torrenting client we definitely recommend to you because of how easy it is to get used to. Furthermore, it also includes a very powerful BitTorrent library at the very core of the software which is why you’ll be able to find everything that you need.
Written in C++ for your benefit
Like CuteTorrent, rTorrent uses the BitTorrent library at is very core, making it very powerful. It’s actually better than uTorrent itself because of the lack of ads and the consideration its makers had for user experience.
- Reliability: rTorrent was designed using C++. This is why the makers were able to focus on things like its speed and efficiency. One of the main selling points of rTorrent has been that it is quite stable and doesn’t freeze while you use it, making it extremely popular in the torrent sharing community.
- Flexibility: It actually is a CLI-based torrent client, so it is quite flexible. As we mentioned before, its creators were very considerate towards the user experience, so you’ll find a simple yet clean user interface at the heart and an overall fantastic user experience.
- Storage Space: rTorrent has been designed with performance in mind so it is actually very light.
Considering how rTorrent has been designed with C++, it’s really no surprise that is has a great algorithm that allows the use of great features such as managing all of the torrent files in a single torrent file downloader. But that’s not all, with rTorrent, you get great speed with zero ads.
Verdict: rTorrent is very powerful because of the library it holds and the language it was written in. Therefore, if you’re looking for a uTorrent alternate that can withstand huge torrent files, this one’s perfect for the job.
Torrent with 100% anonymity
Tribler is a BitTorrent client that will let you torrent in complete anonymity.
- Reliability: Since it is directly based on the BitTorrent protocol, Tribler is very reliable to use. It is also pretty secure, and since it allows you to remain anonymous while torrenting, there’s no added anxiety about torrenting, to begin with.
- Flexibility: Tribler is an open source software. It offers anonymous peer-to-peer file sharing as well making it a favorite of everyone.
- Storage Space: Tribler isn’t a heavy file at all, so you don’t have to worry about it taking a lot of your storage space.
Tribler has risen to popularity because of how stable the torrenting client is. It allows you to access all of your favorite files online and is available in a wide range of operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android.
Verdict: We recommend Tribler because, unlike many other torrent software that gets taken down by governments all over the world, Tribler has never once been the subject of this. This is because the creators of Tribler were quick to announce their intentions for the torrent client wherein that it was created to help people enjoy content by sharing their own content specifically with others.
Very different from uTorrent but just as good
Unlike the other torrents on this list, Vuze is a uTorrent alternative which is not like it all. For one thing, it is locked. However, there are other aspects of the software that you will like.
- Reliability: Vuze offers a safe, user-friendly environment with exciting features like RSS contribution, bandwidth regulators and more.
- Flexibility: Vuze is source locked. This means that you can’t customize it at all. However, it has its own substitute torrent client called Vuze Leap which might be more to your taste if you’re one for customization.
- Storage Space: While Vuze is not exactly the lightest torrent client, it will not slow down your computer either. Downloads are possible in pretty standard pace, so it’s really not that bad.
Vuze also contains ads. However, you can sign up for Vuze Plus which is a subscription package which will get rid of those ads as well as give you access to even more features.
Verdict: Vuze is completely different from uTorrent, but that doesn’t mean that as a former uTorrent user, you won’t be able to use it or like it at all. However, you’ll find that it is actually quite easy to learn how to use Vuze. We highly recommend it, especially if you’re still a beginner in the torrenting game.
The company that bought uTorrent isn’t as bad as you might think
We realize that including BitTorrent might seem a bit strange because its acquisition of uTorrent essentially led to its downfall. However, we have decided to give it a chance because, for all its faults, it actually is quite a good torrent client.
- Reliability: If you’re in search of software that does the job- downloads torrents and nothing more than you’ve come to the right place. BitTorrent is a pretty standard torrenting client with not many extra details.
- Flexibility: Unlike uTorrent, BitTorrent is not flexible at all. However, it supports torrents, magnet links, and search-engine files. It is similar to uTorrent’s bare essentials with the added benefit of being able to create torrents as well.
- Storage Space: While BitTorrent is actually lightweight, it includes ads which annoy a lot of users, however, if you’re one of those people who just want to torrent and nothing more, this is fine for you.
Verdict: BitTorrent was the original torrent client. It is actually responsible for all of the torrenting software existence so even though it is quite basic and full of ads, we recommend it because it is safe to use without any worries.
If you’re looking for even more security while torrenting, then we recommend upgrading to the BitTorrent Pro which has the added bonus of no ads.
In the end, as you can see, there are actually a few uTorrent alternatives out there. You just have to look for them very hard. However, as we have shown you, all that searching pays off, and we’ve uncovered some great torrent clients that may even overtake uTorrent’s popularity.
Our favorite torrent file, in particular, was qBittorrent.
Our favorite uTorrent alternative is qBittorrent.
If you look at qBittorent, you’ll find the perfect match to uTorrent. It is very similar to the software, but it is better. You can say that qBittorrent is the new and improved version of uTorrent.
Some of the torrent clients here need you to learn their interface all over again which not everyone wants. The perfect answer to that hassle is to simply choose qBittorrent.
So, which of these uTorrent alternatives listed here today are you using in 2020? Are there any major ones that we’ve missed?
Any ones that we’ve listed that are having problems? Let us know in the comments below!”