The United States has a bit of a spotty track record when it comes to online surveillance. It’s becoming increasingly important for users in the US to protect their privacy and make sure they’re using the best tool at their disposal. This is why we’ve curated a list of candidates for the best free VPN for USA.
We’ve broken down the entries by price, location, and features to give you a well-rounded idea of what each one has to offer. Some may seem better than others, but it’s always important to give balanced consideration to all the criteria for finding the best free US VPN service.
Just keep in mind that costless services are limited in one way or another. While you still benefit from enhanced privacy, they are less versatile than premium providers. Thus, if you want an unhindered online experience, it’s better to shell out some money.
Try the best US VPN today
NordVPN comes with a massive server network, industry-leading security features, and superb speeds few providers can surpass. You can try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Top 3 free US VPNs in 2024
- The best free VPN for USA9.7
- Free US VPN with unlimited bandwidth9.4
- Free VPN for US with no registration9.0
Why do you need a free VPN for the US?
Let’s be clear, the United States of America does not respect the privacy of its people. It’s one of the founding countries of the Fourteen Eyes alliance, a partnership of nations that gather intelligence about their citizens. And due to laws like the Homeland Security Act and the PATRIOT Act, the government can spy on you without repercussions.
Both free and premium US VPNs help you avoid online surveillance by encrypting all internet traffic and changing your IP address. You get completely hidden in the process, and your actions are untraceable back to you, hence no more spying from any third party. Of course, paid and free VPNs for US are also useful for the following:
- Geo-block bypassing. Whether it’s foreign streaming platform libraries or websites available to certain countries, free VPNs allow you to view content that is technically off-limits.
- Safe torrenting. P2P file-sharing isn’t exactly allowed in the US due to people mostly downloading copyrighted material. Some Internet Service Providers (ISP) outright block all torrent traffic, even if nothing illegal is happening. Well, they can’t restrict something they can’t detect.
- Getting better prices. Some regions offer cheaper deals for various services, from subscriptions to flight tickets, etc. And you can connect to such locations to pay less with a free US VPN.
Best free VPN for USA overview
When reviewing all free VPNs for USA, we first looked at the privacy credentials, such as the logging policy, to ensure no funny business is happening behind the scenes. And having server options in this country was a must, while other locations are nice bonuses.
We also checked for the mandatory VPN feature essentials – military-grade encryption, a kill switch, leak protection – and the latest tunneling protocols. Other evaluation criteria include torrenting & streaming capabilities, speed, and customer support. Finally, all free US VPNs below have apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
1. Atlas VPN – fast & secure free VPN for US
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Solid free version
- Generous data cap
- P2P enabled
- No router support
Atlas VPN is a US-based freemium VPN with an excellent free version. Users get all the necessary VPN security features, 2 simultaneous connections, and a pretty generous 5 GB GB/month data cap. The best thing about it is that you don’t have to create an account to use the service.
Now, for the limitations. You get only three server locations – Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles. However, two of the cities are on opposite coasts of America, giving users in the USA great overall coverage. Though very laggy, streaming on US-only platforms like Hulu, Netflix US, and HBO Max should technically be possible. At least connectivity won’t be an issue with the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Unsurprisingly, premium subscribers get faster speeds than free users. But all users can torrent safely without limitations. Other neat perks include SafeBrowse (ad & malware blocker) and SafeSwap servers, which rotate your IP address regularly.
Paying customers also get access to streaming-optimized servers, unlimited simultaneous devices, and other perks. If you feel the free version is too restricted, no one’s stopping you from getting this free US VPN for $1.64/month. Getting a refund later is an option, too, with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
2. Proton VPN – Swiss-based free US VPN
Email, knowledge base
- Plenty of servers for the free version
- VPN Accelerator for best speeds
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No streaming or P2P
Proton VPN is another great contender for the best free VPN for USA. It’s a security-first service with a third-party-audited no-logs policy and open-source apps. What’s more, the costless version has unlimited monthly bandwidth.
Users get over 140+ servers in three key locations – the US, Japan, and the Netherlands. Other freemium providers tend to limit performance, and understandably so, but that’s not the case here. Whether premium or free, you have full access to VPN Accelerator, a feature that boosts speeds up to 400%.
It’s not perfect for streaming, though, and P2P file sharing is enabled only for subscribers. Another caveat is the 1 simultaneous connection per account. Still, you benefit from enhanced protection and excellent connectivity throughout.
Premium features include Netshield, Secure Core, the Stealth protocol, and Tor over VPN. If you need these things, the cheapest plan starts at $4.99/month. Furthermore, subscriptions are risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
3. Ivacy – truly anonymous free VPN for the US
24/7 live chat
- No data cap
- P2P enabled
- No need to register an account
- Mac & iOS have fewer features
Complete anonymity is guaranteed with the free version of Ivacy VPN. It’s a neat free USA VPN that comes with robust security features and unlimited bandwidth. The cherry on top is that you can use the client without creating an account. No wonder it’s one of the best anonymous VPNs out there.
Free-tier users get access to 1 server location – the Netherlands. There is no WireGuard on the tunneling protocol roster, though, so speeds might not be the greatest. Still, this Ivacy version should be enough to protect your internet escapades and then some.
Other limitations include the 1 simultaneous connection per account. Unblocking geographically-restricted streaming platforms might also prove to be a hassle with this free VPN for US. But at least torrenting is enabled on all servers, meaning you can download and upload files without worry.
Those wanting access to the full server scope and features like split tunneling should subscribe. The pricing starts at just $1.00/month, and you can even test the premium tier with the free 7-day trial. And, of course, commitments are risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Ivacy VPN, read our Ivacy VPN review.
4. Hotspot Shield – fast free VPN for US with broad device support
24/7 live chat
- Proprietary Hydra tunneling protocol
- Ad & malware blocker
- No need to register
- Slow speeds
Benefit from enhanced security with Hotspot Shield, a suitable free US VPN for all your protection needs. The essential VPN features will keep you hidden under wraps no matter what you do online, and there’s no tracking behind the scenes, as the no-logs policy indicates. Plus, the free version comes with 500 MB/day data limit.
Other limitations include just one server location – the United States. And while P2P file-sharing is allowed, streaming might prove to be a hassle. Best case scenario, you get access to US-only content platforms. Some speed restrictions (only 2 Mbps) are also put in place to ensure the premium tier doesn’t suffer from performance issues.
You can use Hotspot Shield on a wide array of devices. Besides popular operating systems, it works on Android TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick. Alternatively, installing it on a router is an option that free users will find useful since only 1 simultaneous connection is allowed on this tier.
This free VPN for US also has other perks, and the premium subscription is excellent for accessing foreign content. You can snatch it for only $7.99/month without the risk of losing your hard-earned cash. The 45-day money-back guarantee makes sure of that.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
5. Hide Me VPN – Malaysia-based USA VPN
- Privacy-friendly jurisdiction
- Split tunneling
- Don’t need an account to use it
- No streaming
Another free VPN option US citizens shouldn’t overlook is Hide Me VPN. It’s based in a great location, doesn’t track you, and offers the right tools to combat surveillance. Furthermore, the costless tier comes with a 10 GB/month data limit and doesn’t require users to create an account.
Of course, the free version has its own restrictions. Your server choices are limited to 8 countries, including the US, the UK, Singapore, and Canada. And you can use only 1 device simultaneously. But at least the speeds should be okay with the WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 tunneling protocols under the belt.
While streaming isn’t exactly an option, at least torrenting is on the table. Free Hide Me VPN even includes P2P-oriented features, such as split tunneling and a SOCKS5 proxy. The provider also throws Stealth Guard into the mix – it lets you limit app and internet usage by excluding what doesn’t work unless you’re connected to the VPN.
Thus there’s room to do what you want securely, but not much. Think you need more from Hide Me VPN? Get access to the full service by purchasing a plan for only $3.00/month. And it’s okay if, later on, you see that it’s not for you. The 30-day money-back is there for a reason.
For a deeper investigation of Hide.me VPN, read our Hide.me VPN review.
Free US VPN comparison
Have no time to read all the descriptions? Quickly check how our top free VPNs for USA compare with each other (and with a premium provider).
|Hide Me VPN
|Atlas VPN review
|Proton VPN review
|Ivacy VPN review
|Hotspot Shield review
|Hide Me VPN review
Costless services are understandably limited, especially when pitted against a paid VPN that is an industry leader. Remember that you could also try these premium providers without paying a dime with free trial versions and 30-day money-back guarantees.
Best free VPN alternatives
How we tested free US VPNs
Since these kinds of services come with certain restrictions, you have to make do with what you have. Still, those wanting the best performance possible out of their free VPN for USA shouldn’t overlook certain criteria:
- The network. Due to their nature, costless providers have very small fleets. But they must include servers in the US, or there is no point in picking that particular VPN.
- Essential security. AES-256 encryption, IP & DNS leak protection, and a kill switch are mandatory features that ensure nothing about you is visible online. Avoid services that don’t include them.
- Respect for privacy. Another key aspect is having a strict no-logs policy. We’re trying to avoid surveillance here, not give away your browsing habits to yet another third party. It’s especially crucial if the free VPN operates from a member of the Fourteen Eyes alliance.
- Reasonable limits. Some providers are stricter than others when it comes to the free tier in order to balance everything out. Preferably, you get enough breathing room in terms of server locations, simultaneous connections, data caps, and such.
- Other perks. P2P file-sharing and streaming usually aren’t an option, but certain services have one or the other enabled if you’re lucky. It’s also possible to get additional security features like split tunneling, blockers for protecting yourself from malware, etc.
- Customer support. Extra points go to free VPNs that don’t forget about users that choose not to pay. Prioritize those that offer more than just email support in case you ever need quick help from professionals.
How can I get a free US IP address
- Sign up for a VPN service with great security credentials. You can try NordVPN for free with the 7-day free trial version.
- Download the USA VPN for PC or mobile and install it
- Connect to any nearby server for optimal speed and security
- Take advantage of all the benefits of a VPN!
Free USA VPNs to avoid
You have to be extra careful when picking a costless service because most of them are unreliable and can even compromise your security further. Then there are some you shouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole.
- Psiphon. Monitors users and shares their data with sponsors, and litters applications with ads that collect info. The software is outdated, there is no kill switch, and there are frequent DNS request leaks.
- Hoxx VPN. Monitors users and will share their info if authorities issue a data request. There are no standard security features, and it does not disclose what kind of encryption protects the free tier (if there is any at all).
- Betternet VPN. Extensively monitors users, and has injected malware and user trackers into applications. Provides weak IP & DNS leak protection features, and there is no kill switch.
- Hola VPN. Is essentially a P2P network, and it uses your IP address and steals bandwidth. Furthermore, the service collects and sells user data.
Video review: free VPNs and the risk of using them
When choosing between different free VPN services, some of the options at your disposal may not be as good as they seem. Costless providers tend to fall short in a few categories, like geo-block bypassing, with an increased risk for data collection. Many of them are also limited beyond the point of usefulness in an effort to get you to pay.
If you’re looking for the best free VPN for the USA, it’s important to always keep these risks in mind as you look through the different options. Consider watching our quick video overlooking the top free VPNs currently available.
Despite being a democratic nation that tries to champion rights to freedom, privacy, etc., the US really likes to stick its nose into the personal lives of its citizens. The government has passed laws that make offline & online surveillance easy and technically legal.
That’s why you must arm yourself with the appropriate premium or free USA VPNs. This technology hides every aspect of your online identity, helping you evade monitoring and significantly increasing security. Plus, they come with additional perks, making VPNs useful for all kinds of internet activities.
If you’re in the USA, which of these free VPNs have you used before? Let us know in the comments below!
Is there a free USA VPN?
Yes, there are plenty of free VPNs for the US worthy of your attention. Providers like Atlas VPN and Proton VPN offer free versions with plenty of servers in the US, robust security measures, and generous data caps.
Which free US VPN is the strongest?
Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for the US at the moment. It comes with 3 server locations, a 5 GB/month data cap, 2 simultaneous connections, and torrenting allowed on all servers.
How can I get a free US VPN?
You can get a free VPN by choosing one from our list and simply downloading it. Some VPNs might need an account, while others (like Atlas VPN) can be used without signing up.
Are free VPNs for USA safe?
Many free VPNs are not safe to use. It is unclear how they make money without premium options. Thus it’s fair to assume that they could be logging and selling your online data to advertisers. It’s important to do some research about the creators behind the free US VPNs to see if they’re trustworthy.
Can a free VPN unblock USA Netflix?
Free VPNs with servers in the US should be able to unblock USA Netflix, but it’s not guaranteed. If you want ensured access to all kinds of libraries on various streaming platforms, you’ll be better off with premium VPN services.
What is the #1 free VPN?
The best free VPN is Atlas VPN. Its free version comes with a generous 5GB/month data cap, 2 simultaneous connections, torrenting-enabled servers, and 3 region choices.