PokerStars is a leading online gambling platform offering betting enthusiasts a chance to test lady luck. From sportsbooks, poker & casino games to daily & weekly tournaments, budding players can dabble in a lot of things here. But like countless other platforms facilitating such activities, PokerStars is geographically restricted in many countries worldwide.
Thankfully, no obstacle is too difficult to cross for eager poker players, and this is where a VPN for PokerStars comes into play. This technology allows you to change your virtual location to one that hasn’t banned online gambling. But is there a VPN good enough to keep you out of harm’s way? Read on and find out!
5 Best VPNs for PokerStars: shortlist
The best VPN for Poker Stars
Great & affordable PokerStars VPN
PokerStars VPN with added unique features
Small but efficient VPN for PokerStars
Cheap & security-focused VPN
How to play PokerStars with a VPN:
- Subscribe to a secure and private VPN. We recommend NordVPN, available for 68% off
- Download the VPN app on your device
- Log in and connect to a country that doesn’t restrict PokerStars, such as Canada
- Get the PokerStars application
- Sign into your account and hop into a Cash Game lobby!
Why do you need a VPN to play PokerStars
As we’ve discussed earlier, the problem with PokerStars is its limited availability. Most people can’t access it because they reside in a country where:
- Option A – the platform doesn’t offer its services
- Option B – the government banned online gambling
With the former, PokerStars blocks you from entering once it detects that your IP address originates from the “wrong” location. With the latter, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) likely block the online betting platform on a network level. They have to comply with the law, after all.
Trusted VPNs help in both cases – just pick a region where PokerStars is available. Connecting to a VPN server changes your IP address and encrypts traffic to boot, masking data that could expose your actual location. And once the system recognizes the “correct” credentials, PokerStars finally lets you in to play.
Best VPN services to play PokerStars
- NordVPN – the top PokerStars VPN
- Surfshark VPN – VPN for PokerStars with exceptional security
- IPVanish – PokerStars VPN with no virtual servers
- PrivateVPN – versatile VPN for PokerStars
- PureVPN – affordable & well-rounded PokerStars VPN
Here’s a list of VPNs you should pick from if you want the perfect poker experience. All of them have apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, so you can gamble on devices you find most convenient. Plus, the server networks are also sizable, with connection options in numerous countries where PokerStars is available.
Additionally, these online gambling VPNs include mandatory security features, like a kill switch and IP & DNS leak protection. And if retaining utmost anonymity is a big concern, you’ll be happy to find that these providers adhere to strict no-logs policies and some offer anonymous payment options, too.
1. NordVPN – #1 VPN for PokerStars
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-powered performance
- Independentely-audited and secure
- Great for streaming, P2P, online gaming
- No router app
The best VPN for PokerStars is NordVPN by far. It operates from Panama, boasts a certified zero-logs policy, and comes with robust features to boot. And if that’s not enough, all standard servers run on RAM modules instead of hard drives. What does it mean for you? Assured privacy since they can’t store data.
A subscription to this provider nets you access to 5500+ servers in 59+ countries, so opening the doors to PokerStars is child’s play. Furthermore, the service is insanely fast due to the proprietary NordLynx protocol. It’s an improved, lightweight version of WireGuard, hence speedy connections and low latency.
As for NordVPN functionality, there are plenty of perks. Obfuscated servers hide all VPN traffic, useful in countries that ban this technology. Another is Double VPN, which makes you virtually untraceable by routing traffic through two servers. Lastly, getting a dedicated IP (US, UK, FR, NL, DE) is an option – it raises less suspicion as only you can use it.
Coming with 6 simultaneous connections, this excellent PokerStars VPN can be yours for only $3.09/month. Or try a NordVPN coupon for a better deal. Either way, sate your curiosity with the 7-day free trial (via Google Play Store) or commit risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee and anonymous payments.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – PokerStars VPN with RAM-only hardware
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Top-notch speed thanks to WireGuard
- Great for bypassing restrictions
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another great choice for potential poker stars is the Netherlands-based Surfshark VPN. Whether at home or on the go, cutting-edge technology keeps you safe in all circumstances. A stand-out benefit of this service is that you can secure as many devices as you want – there’s no connection limit.
The 3200+ servers in 95+ countries’ strong fleet is more than enough to fulfill all PokerStars needs. And with the ultra-fast WireGuard protocol in your grasp, no untimely lag will ruin virtual casino games at the most inopportune moments. Plus, surveillance-wary folk will be happy all hardware is RAM-only.
Feature-wise, Surfshark packs a punch. You can shield yourself with an extra layer of security by using the MultiHop (double encryption) and CleanWeb (malware-protection) features. Then there are Camouflage and NoBorders modes. They hide VPN usage and bypass even the toughest firewalls in mere seconds.
Apply a Surfshark VPN code during checkout to pay just $2.30/month for a superb VPN for PokerStars. Subscriptions are protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a refund if it isn’t to your liking. That’s unlikely, though, especially after taking the free 7-day trial version out for a spin (available on Apple & Google Stores).
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – VPN for PokerStars with real-time protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- VIPRE antivirus software
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Want to be completely untraceable online? Look no further than IPVanish. This security-first VPN for PokerStars doesn’t log user data (verified independently) and gives you the necessary features to evade surveillance. As a bonus, it even takes care of real-time threats with VIPRE Antivirus, packed with all subscriptions at no additional cost.
The network consists of 2000+ bare-metal servers in 50+ countries, and the provider owns every bit of hardware. Soon, you’ll be betting on PokerStars, Roobet, Stake, and many more gambling websites and doing it smoothly. Thank the WireGuard tunneling protocol for this feat.
Besides the usual tools, there’s the OpenVPN Scramble feature that masks all VPN usage tracks. You can also use split tunneling to route VPN traffic via select apps, such as torrent clients. And what luck that this service allows P2P on all servers.
Starting at $3.33/month (after utilizing an IPVanish coupon), this PokerStars VPN fulfills all online betting needs and more. Unlike other candidates on this list, it doesn’t offer any trial version, though. Thankfully, the 30-day money-back guarantee technically allows you to test it and use it for free for a whole month.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
4. PrivateVPN – inexpensive & robust PokerStars VPN
24/7 live chat
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Free dedicated IP
- Owns all hardware
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
As the name suggests, PrivateVPN is an excellent choice to secure yourself while accessing online casinos. Unsurprisingly, there’s a kill switch, IP & DNS leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy (if you’re wary of the Swedish jurisdiction). Furthermore, it includes Application Guard, a feature that closes select apps if the VPN connection suddenly drops.
This VPN has a humble number of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. Despite that, the performance is superb, making it ideal for rolling the dice on PokerStars. Even the lack of Wireguard is barely noticeable, with the combination of OpenVPN and High Quality Network (HQN) ensuring low latency.
PrivateVPN subscribers get a couple of handy perks, Stealth VPN being one of them. Another is free dedicated IPs in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, and Ukraine. Lastly, the 10 simultaneous connections per account let you protect whichever devices you need. Not enough? Manually set up the VPN on your router.
Pay no more than $2.00/month with a PrivateVPN coupon, and access gambling websites whenever you want. This VPN for PokerStars comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a free 7-day trial version you can take advantage of before committing.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. PureVPN – VPN for PokerStars with broad device compatibility
24/7 live chat
- Massive server list
- 10 Gbps servers
- Enhanced Wi-Fi security
- Some servers are virtual
An inexpensive yet effective online poker VPN – that’s PureVPN for you. Based in the British Virgin Islands, the service operates under an independently-audited no-logs policy and has all the privacy-ensuring features you need. These are a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and industry-standard AES-256 encryption.
The server list is truly expansive, with 6500+ servers in 70+ countries under the belt. Most of the fleet uses fast 10 Gbps servers, and many 20 Gbps ones are popping up each month. Furthermore, you won’t be left behind speed-wise since the service comes with the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol.
As for PureVPN functionality, people who often find themselves connected to public networks will benefit from enhanced Wi-Fi security. There’s even an option to get a dedicated IP ($0.99) if you want to rest easy when entering PokerStars. And don’t forget to secure anything you want with 10 simultaneous connections.
Use a PureVPN discount code, and this great PokerStars VPN is yours for only $1.99/month. If you’re not ready to commit just yet, try the service for 7 days for free. One week is not enough to make up your mind? Take advantage of the 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
How we tested PokerStars VPN
The geo-blocks PokerStars has in place can be a tough nut to crack if the VPN isn’t cut out for the job. That’s why we looked at specific criteria and how providers excelled in each case:
- Utmost anonymity. Either the VPN operates under a strict no-log policy, or it goes into the rejects pile. No one should be tracking your online activities, especially a service that is supposed to shield you from that. Naturally, bonus points are awarded to companies with independently-audited policies.
- Ensured protection. You can’t go without the security trifecta either – AES-256 encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. These keep your online identity hidden under all circumstances, allowing you to relocate yourself virtually and break through geo-blocks.
- Global presence. Having plenty of servers across the whole globe ensures accessibility to any foreign or blocked platform, not just PokerStars. It’s no secret that it also plays into VPN performance since connecting to the closest server to you reduces latency.
- Optimal performance. The type of tunneling protocol you utilize affects speeds as well. So, you’re better off picking a provider with the latest protocols on the roster, like WireGuard. Note that the same protocol performs differently depending on the service – check the approximate speeds with an appropriate VPN speed test tool.
- Neat extras. Getting caught utilizing a VPN to play PokerStars from a country where the website isn’t available can result in losing your betting privileges. You want to avoid that, of course, and the best preventative measures for that are such perks as Stealth VPN and dedicated IPs.
Can PokerStars detect VPN?
On a certain level, PokerStars can detect VPN usage, but the platform doesn’t go out of its way to ban VPN traffic or associated IP addresses. If there’s reason to believe a user is utilizing this technology to access the casino illegally, though, action will be taken.
PokerStars is no stranger to suspending accounts and even freezing funds if need be. The website can’t operate in certain countries for a reason, and breaking these rules can land you and the company in trouble. But you must be caught first for any of these scenarios to become a reality.
That’s why it’s crucial to pick a reliable PokerStars VPN that doesn’t cut corners concerning total user safety & privacy. You always want to remain undetectable, even if the service glitches or the connection drops.
Countries where PokerStars is blocked
Due to various political, cultural, and legal reasons, PokerStars is restricted in a significant number of countries.
Make sure that you’re using a VPN when connecting from these countries if you’d like to avoid any legal action against you.
|Regions||Countries where PokerStars is blocked|
|Europe||Slovenia, Switzerland, Vatican City|
|Asia and Oceania||Afghanistan, Arabia, Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), North Korea, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Syria, Taiwan, Telangana and Nagaland (States in India), Territory of Palestine, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen|
|Americas||Colombia, Cuba, the US|
|Africa||Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Zimbabwe|
Of course, this isn’t the entire list. The laws and gambling situation can frequently change from country to country. Always check your local laws to be certain that you’re not doing anything illegal by accessing online poker sites.
How to play PokerStars from your country
If you live in any of the countries listed above, your best bet at playing PokerStars is with a VPN. For an excellent experience, we recommend subscribing to those suited for your region.
How to play PokerStars in the US
One of the most surprising restrictions of PokerStars is the United States. Although some states can still partake in online gambling, the majority of the US cannot. That is why you need a US VPN – follow these few steps if you’d like to gamble for real:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. We suggest NordVPN, which offers an extensive network with servers on all continents.
- Download the VPN on your device
- Connect to a country that can access PokerStars, such as Canada
- Launch PokerStars and join a Real Money table!
How to Play PokerStars in Australia
PokerStars left the Australian market in 2017 due to the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill. As such, players need the assistance of a VPN for Australia if they are to continue gaming. Here’s a quick guide on getting started:
- Sign up for a high-quality VPN. You won’t experience any performance issues with NordVPN.
- Install the VPN app on the device of your choice
- Connect to a nearby country that allows online gambling, for example, New Zealand
- Test your luck on PokerStars!
How to play PokerStars in the UK
For now, PokerStars is available in the UK, and you are free to gamble with real money. However, if you’re serious about online gambling and would like to reduce potential risks like DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks, you would be wise to get a UK VPN and secure your internet connection. Here’s how to do that:
- Grab a trustworthy VPN. NordVPN boasts top-notch privacy and security.
- Download and install the client
- Connect to a nearby server for optimal speed
- Select a PokerStars game and have fun!
How to play PokerStars on your device
For your convenience, you can play PokerStars on a separate application you can download from the official website. It’s available for PC (Windows & Mac) and mobile devices (iOS & Android).
Once you’ve decided which platform you want to play on, you also need to find a PokerStars VPN compatible with your device. Luckily, most worthwhile services have dedicated apps for these platforms.
How to play PokerStars on PC
- Get yourself a reliable VPN, preferably with a dedicated IP feature. We suggest NordVPN, which offers dedicated IPs in several suitable regions.
- Download the appropriate VPN software on your computer and install it
- Connect to a country that doesn’t restrict online betting websites
- Have fun playing PokerStars!
How to play PokerStars on mobile devices
- Subscribe to a secure VPN. We stand by NordVPN, the best choice for PokerStars.
- Get the VPN app from the Apple App or Google Play Store
- Log in and connect to a server in a region where PokerStars offers its services
- Download the PokerStars app and enjoy unrestricted gambling!
Do we recommend using a free VPN for PokerStars
The temptation to save up money for future betting is understandable. However, a few key reasons make subscribing to free VPNs a bad idea. While not all costless services participate in shady practices on the side, an alarming majority of them:
- Track everything users do and then sell that data to various third parties, mostly ad companies. That’s how a “100% free service” manages to stay afloat, after all.
- Litter their software with intrusive ads and pop-ups from the same companies. And you have to be careful not to click on them as they could contain viruses.
- Inject clients with all kinds of malware since we’ve touched upon malicious software on the previous point. These can track you even when you’re not connected to the VPN.
As for performance, free VPNs aren’t known for stellar speeds or robust tools. Besides stringent data caps and severely limited country picks, you likely won’t unblock PokerStars. Why? Because your actual IP address and DNS requests will be leaking all over the place.
We’re not condemning every single costless service under the sun, though. Atlas VPN, for example, offers a free version alongside premium, and it’s pretty great. You get:
- Servers in the Netherlands where PokerStars is legal and available
- 5 GB per month data cap, which is enough unless you do something data-intensive every day
- The essential security features we’ve constantly been mentioning throughout
- 2 simultaneous connections
- Torrenting, enabled on all servers
Think that’s not enough? Another option is taking advantage of the trial versions of trusted VPNs. Albeit for a limited time, you get access to the complete server and feature list. And once one ends, simply jump to a different provider.
Tips while playing online poker with a VPN
Naturally, just the technical features of a PokerStars VPN aren’t going to cut it. You must also practice caution if you’re aiming for a trouble-free experience.
- Always launch the VPN app before the PokerStars application and make sure all security features, such as a kill switch, are toggled on. Perform an IP and DNS leak test just in case.
- Withdraw your winnings as often as possible. You never know when PokerStars will pull the rug from under you and restrict your country from playing. It has happened before, and players could no longer access their accounts.
- Avoid using any payment options that could reveal your real identity and location. Instead, look into some off-shore options, such as PayPal, or deposit and withdraw money using cryptocurrencies.
- Utilize the Stealth VPN feature or dedicated IPs if your VPN offers them. The first hides VPN usage, great for avoiding PokerStars detection, while the other grants you a personal IP. It causes less suspicion when only one person accesses online casinos from the same address instead of several dozen.
Like many other online betting websites, PokerStars is a victim of gambling regulations and bans worldwide. That’s why a VPN is an excellent addition to your arsenal, whether you’re a casual player or a die-hard poker master.
NordVPN and other premium providers allow you to circumvent any poker website restrictions. And if you live in a country that allows online gambling, you can utilize this technology to protect yourself from privacy breaches and various online threats.
Do you have any tips and tricks when using a VPN to access poker sites? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Can I play PokerStars from another country?
Yes, you can play PokerStars from another country with a VPN. Simply connect to a VPN server in your chosen region where this casino is available, and that’s it.
Can I use a VPN for PokerStars?
Yes, you can use a VPN to access PokerStars from restricted countries. However, this is a breach of the Terms of Service and could get you banned if you are caught. That’s why it’s crucial to utilize the best PokerStars VPNs able to avoid detection.
Can PokerStars detect VPN?
PokerStars detects VPN usage by tracking user IP addresses. If multiple users access the platform simultaneously from a specific IP, it’s a pretty good indication it belongs to a VPN service. Additionally, the platform may suspect you’re using a VPN if your geographical location is constantly changing.
Is it illegal to use a VPN to play poker?
Using a VPN to play online poker is legal if these activities are allowed in your country. If you reside in a place where it’s banned, like UAE or Saudi Arabia, you can get in trouble with the law if caught doing so. You can avoid this by subscribing to reliable gambling VPNs.
What is the best VPN to play online poker?
The best VPN for online poker is NordVPN. It’s based in Panama and has a third-party audited no-logs policy, dedicated IPs, anonymous payment methods, servers on all continents, obfuscated servers, and excellent connection speeds for all online activities.