PokerStars is a leading online gambling platform offering betting enthusiasts a chance to test lady luck. But like countless other platforms facilitating such activities, PokerStars is geographically restricted in most US states and other countries. Luckily, you can use a VPN for PokerStars to bypass senseless restrictions.
Playing PokerStars with VPN lifts any previous restrictions from hindering your sessions. In fact, a reliable service amplifies online security. It shrouds your poker matches and money dealings in sweet privacy. No nosy snoopers or geofences stand a chance against the VPN prowess.
Our experts share the best VPN for PokerStars that passed our tests with flying colors. They’ll allow you to play the game in any of the US states or another country like Australia. Stick with us to leave with a VPN in tow and all the tips you could possibly need.
🏷️ LIMITED OFFER: Get NordVPN 67% OFF + unique gifts with any of 2-year plans 🏷️
5 best PokerStars VPNs in 2024
- Best VPN for PokerStars casino9.7
- PokerStars VPN with infinite connections9.5
- Secure VPN to play PokerStars anywhere9.2
- Reliable PokerStars USA VPN8.7
- Play PokerStars through VPN with super coverage8.5
How to play PokerStars with a VPN
- Subscribe to a secure and private VPN. We recommend NordVPN, available for 68% off
- Download the VPN app on your device
- Log in and connect to a country that doesn’t restrict PokerStars, such as Canada
- Get the PokerStars application
- Sign into your account and hop into a Cash Game lobby!
Why do you need a VPN for PokerStars?
Some US states restrict online gambling, while others, along with some countries, downright prohibit it. Some even require special licenses or IDs to access betting hubs. Though this platform is not exempted, you can play PokerStars with VPN. It’s a mandatory tool for slipping through virtual barriers surrounding the website. You’ll unblock PokerStars even from New York, Michigan, Florida, California. Or all the way from Australia.
The point of these restrictions is to prevent people from developing betting addiction and making risky decisions. While it’s noble, most poker enthusiasts are responsible and want no part in this online sobriety. The best you can do is rely on a reputable VPN service to bypass these blocks. But the benefits don’t end there.
A VPN also adds a thick layer of protection, so you can play assured your account is safe from cybercrooks. Since PokerStars bets involve real funds, it’s in your best interest to stay safe and private while dealing the cards. Let the good ol’ VPN be the ace up your sleeve.
Best VPN services to play PokerStars
- NordVPN – best VPN that lets you play PokerStars in the US
- Surfshark VPN – service that can avoid PokerStars VPN detection
- Proton VPN – free trial VPN for PokerStars
- ExpressVPN – PokerStars casino VPN with excellent speeds
- CyberGhost – private & secure VPN for PokerStars
We picked the best PokerStars VPN based on the strict criteria necessary for unblocking the site, remaining undetected, and suffering no buffers or low ping. Those include ability to bypass geo-blocks, standard and extra security measures, server fleet size, and optimal speeds. Our team tested 29 providers doing the big talk, but only the Top 5 made it to the honorary list.
1. NordVPN – top PokerStars VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-powered performance
- Plentiful servers that work with PokerStars
- Great for streaming, P2P, online gaming
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
The best VPN for PokerStars is NordVPN, by far. It operates from Panama, boasts a certified zero-logs policy, and has robust features. And if that’s not enough, all standard servers run on RAM modules instead of hard drives.
Servers. A subscription to this provider nets you access to 6000+ servers in 61+ countries. Moreover, some of these servers are in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, where PokerStars is legal. We experienced excellent connectivity in these US servers, along with Norwegian, Serbian, Canadian, and Spanish ones.
Performance. Furthermore, the service is insanely fast due to the proprietary NordLynx protocol, so you won’t have to worry about poor connectivity and lagging. Our tests showcased a seamless and lag-free PokerStars gameplay no matter how distant the servers were from us. Moreover, no connection disruptions occurred during matches, which is essential during real-time poker matches.
Security & additional features. As for NordVPN functionality, there are plenty of perks. Obfuscated servers hide all VPN traffic, which is helpful in countries that ban this technology. Another is Double VPN, which makes you virtually untraceable by routing traffic through two servers. Lastly, getting a dedicated IP (US, UK, FR, NL, DE) is an option – it raises less suspicion as only you can use it.
Price. The best VPN for Pokerstards with 6 simultaneous connections can be yours for just $3.39/month. Curious cats can take advantage of the 7-day free trial before grabbing one of the lucrative NordVPN deals. And there’s always the 30-day money-back guarantee should you change your mind.
2. Surfshark VPN – best VPN for PokerStars with RAM-only hardware
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Top-notch speed thanks to WireGuard
- Great for bypassing restrictions
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Some features cost extra
Playing PokerStars with VPN will be easy if you choose Surfshark VPN.
Servers. The 3200+ servers in 100+ countries strong fleet is more than enough to fulfill all PokerStars USA needs. During our tests, we found that servers in the UK, the Netherlands, and plenty of other gambling-friendly locations perform well. One of the best things about this service is its unlimited simultaneous connections.
Performance. Moreover, the ultra-fast WireGuard protocol and Nexus technology will ensure that no untimely lag will ruin virtual casino games at the most inopportune moments. Plus, surveillance-wary folk will be happy all hardware is RAM-only. Thus, no one will know about your online activities.
Security & additional features. Feature-wise, Surfshark packs a punch. You can shield yourself with an extra layer of security by using the MultiHop (double encryption) and CleanWeb (malware-protection) features. Then there are Camouflage and NoBorders modes. They hide VPN usage and bypass even the strictest firewalls in mere seconds.
Price. Play PokerStars with VPN that costs next to nothing, the price starting at $2.29/month only. And it’s just one of the Surfshark deals. Plus, you surf the service without committing thanks to the 7-day free trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. Proton VPN – privacy-oriented PokerStars VPN with reliable speeds
Email, knowledge base
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Privacy-oriented measures
- Stealth servers
- Free version might not unblock PokerStars
Proton VPN is an affordable VPN for playing PokerStars.
Servers. With the premium tier, you’ll get 3000+ pieces of hardware in 69+ countries. We found servers in the US, UK, Canada, Serbia, and Norway great to play PokerStars with VPN. You’ll also find some servers in New Jersey, one of the few states that allow online gambling.
Performance. On top of that, the provider utilizes the WireGuard tunneling protocol to ensure the best speeds and connectivity. To keep you safe, Proton VPN offers the Netshield feature that fends off ads, trackers, and malware. Moreover, Stealth servers will help you avoid detection and censorship, so you’ll be completely invisible.
Security & additional features. And you won’t have to worry about your privacy either. Proton VPN is based in Switzerland, a country with no data retention laws. Moreover, its no-logs policy has been audited multiple times by independent companies. Lastly, it’s one of the most trusted and recommended VPNs by Redditors and experts.
Price. One of the best VPN for PokerStars boils down to a cost of $4.99/month. Besides, the provider offers plenty of other discounts to divulge in. As for getting the feel of the service before diving into it, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. ExpressVPN – versatile PokerStars VPN with good connectivity
24/7 live chat, email
- Threat Manager
- Diverse server fleet
- Great at bypassing geo-restrictions
- Only 8 simultaneous connections
ExpressVPN is a reliable PokerStars VPN to play in the US, Australia, Canada, or any European country.
Servers. Thanks to excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities and thousands of servers in 105+ countries, it will easily unblock PokerStars.
Performance. Plus, using the stealth servers will help you avoid detection and other problems. And you can forget about lagging and other speed-related issues with the Lightway tunneling protocol. Our team experienced the smoothest gameplay on servers in the US, Germany, Belgium, Spain, New Zealand, and Australia. Clearly, server distance from the actual user location has minimal impact on PokerStars matches in terms of speed.
Security & additional features. When it comes to safety, ExpressVPN provides AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection. Moreover, Threat Manager will protect you against malicious ads, viruses, and rootkits. Privacy-wise, this provider is registered in the privacy-respecting British Virgin Islands and has a cour-proven zero-logs policy.
Price. ExpressVPN is a little on the expensive side since the starting price is $6.67/month. However, you may find a more suitable PokerStars VPN deal among available promos. You also get a 30-day money-back guarantee should you change your mind.
5. CyberGhost – PokerStars VPN with broad country coverage
24/7 live chat
- Top-notch speed thanks to WireGuard
- Specialized servers
- Great for bypassing restrictions
- Only 7 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost is a study solution for curbing geofences surrounding PokerStars in your location.
Servers. It’s a cheap yet effective VPN that will give you access to 10218+ servers in 100+ countries, including Canada, the Netherlands, Mexico, etc. Servers in these locations yielded the best performative results through our tests. Moreover, there are a bunch of specialized servers for the best speeds and connectivity.
Performance. Talking about speeds, you won’t have to worry about lags thanks to the super-swift WireGuard tunneling protocol. Plus, you can play poker online on almost any smart device, as CyberGhost is compatible with all major OS. And if 7 simultaneous connections are not enough, you can always set up the VPN on your router.
Security & additional features. In terms of safety, you’ll get all essential security features and Content Blocker, which will prevent obnoxious ads. Additionally, the independently-audited zero-logs policy will keep your online activities secret. You can also use the NoSpy servers to boost your anonymity online.
Price. CyberGhost is a great VPN for PokerStars if you’re looking for a pocket-friendly price. It costs a meager $2.19/month among other current deals. On top of that, CyberGhost boasts the longest money-back period, spanning 45 days.
Best VPN for PokerStars: Comparison
|🌐 Provider’s website
|🌎 Server fleet
|6000+ servers in 61+ countries
|3200+ servers in 100+ countries
|3000+ servers in 69+ countries
|3000+ servers in 105+ countries
|10218+ servers in 100+ countries
|British Virgin Islands
|🔒 Tunneling protocols
|NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
|WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
|WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
|Lightway, OpenVPN, IKEv2
|WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
|🥷 VPN obfuscation
|Yes, selected servers
|Yes, selected servers
|Yes, selected servers
|Yes, all servers
|📍 Dedicated IP
|🧰 Other security features
|Threat Protection, Double VPN, Onion over VPN, Dark Web Monitoring, etc.
|CleanWeb, MultiHop, Surfshark One, etc.
|NetShield, Secure Core, Tor Over VPN, etc.
|Threat Manager, Trusted Server, ExpressVPN Keys, etc.
|Content Blocker, NoSpy servers, ID Guard Monitoring, etc.
|💰 Lowest price
|🏷️ Best deal
While all of them are great for playing poker online in the US and elsewhere, NordVPN is the best VPN for PokerStars overall. It can easily unblock the platform in America and other countries where PokerStars is blocked. Additionally, it’s private, secure, and extremely fast. Not to mention, you can get a dedicated IP and explore loads of other servers.
How we tested PokerStars VPN
The geo-blocks PokerStars has in place can be a tough nut to crack if the VPN isn’t cut out for the job. That’s why we looked at specific criteria and how 29 providers excelled in each case. We run the tests on a Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 1 device with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U with Radeon Graphics and 32 GB. Windows 11 Pro.
Here’s the criteria that guided our tests:
- PokerStars unblocking capabilities. We tested whether each PokerStars VPN unblocks the platform with no issues. Also, monitoring whether the VPN stays undetected after multiple attempts also played a role in our assessment.
- Servers in supported locations. If you want to play PokerStars with VPN anywhere, then you need points of connection in available regions. We checked whether they cover all the major countries where PokerStars is perfectly legal: from US states to Australia.
- Security-boosting features. Since real money is involved and you want to slip through geofences without risking account termination, you need good protection. We ensured that top VPNs deploy features like industry-standard AES-246 cipher, DNS leak protection, or Double VPN for extra encryption.
- Stealth measures. PokerStars doesn’t let just any VPN slip through. Hence, we tested whether a VPN has special stealth servers like obfuscated ones or Camouflage mode. These measures maintain low-profile, concealing traces of VPN use.
- Optimal performance. A variety of VPNs tend to slow down the internet, while others have no impact on your device. To avoid low ping and overall abysmal speed, we tested whether each PokerStars VPN retains more than 85% of the initial speeds. Additionally, we checked if the providers have the modern WireGuard protocol and its upgraded alternatives like NordLynx.
While testing, the best PokerStars VPN was NordVPN. That’s because it easily bypasses even the strictest geo-blocks and performs flawlessly. Not to mention it’s overall the most versatile VPN on the market.
NordVPN is the top VPN for PokerStars Casino. It will let you play poker and other gambling-related games in the USA and other restricted countries. Not to mention, it will keep your information safe and private. Plus, it has plenty of servers globally and phenomenal speeds, so you can play & bet trouble-free.
Where is PokerStars legal?
|Asia and Oceania
|PokerStars legal countries
|Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, UK
|Aruba, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, Bolivia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Costa Rica, Curacao, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Greenland, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Salvador, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos, Uruguay, Venezuela
|Armenia, Azerbaijan, American Samoa, Brunei, Cook Islands, East Timor, Fiji, French Polynesia, Georgia, Guam, India, Japan, Kiribati, Kyrgyz Republic, Laos, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Solomon Islands, Tajikistan, Tonga, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna Islands
|Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, DR Congo, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Côte d’Ivoire, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mayotte, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Reunion Island, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Sudan Swaziland, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia
What states is PokerStars legal in?
PokerStars now only officially operates in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and New Jersey. But only two of them allow you to bet on real money during matches:
- New Jersey – allows real money
- Pennsylvania – allows real money
Other US States that allow online gambling include Nevada, Delaware, and West Virginia. While the star of the article hasn’t opened its site yet in these locations, you can expect that to happen in the near future. Perhaps the number of PokerStars legal states in the US will increase.
When will PokerStars be legal in US?
PokerStars is already legal for Americans over 21 to play the casino in New Jersey, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. As for other states, it’s a matter of time. State-level governments are exerting different approaches to online gambling – some don’t meddle, others restrict and forbid it legally. Gamblers shouldn’t be too optimistic.
Seeing the skyrocketing of restrictions on porn in states like Montana or North Carolina, the iron hand on gambling in current states isn’t letting up anytime soon. But there are a handful of states that give green light to betting online. If PokerStars feels like expanding their horizons, you’ll be sure to know.
PokerStars banned countries
Due to various political, cultural, and legal reasons, PokerStars is restricted in a significant number of countries.
Make sure that you’re using a VPN when connecting from these countries if you’d like to avoid any legal action against you.
|PokerStars banned countries
|Slovenia, Switzerland, Vatican City
|Asia and Oceania
|Afghanistan, Arabia, Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), North Korea, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Syria, Taiwan, Telangana and Nagaland (States in India), Territory of Palestine, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
|Colombia, Cuba, the US (except Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey)
|Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Of course, this isn’t the entire list. The laws and gambling situation can frequently change from country to country. Always check your local laws to be certain that you’re not doing anything illegal by accessing online poker sites.
How to play on PokerStars in the USA
One of the most surprising restrictions of PokerStars is the United States. Although some states can still partake in online gambling, the majority of the US cannot. You can access PokerStars Pennsylvania or New Jersey with a USA VPN or connect to a completely different country. So, follow these few steps if you’d like to gamble for real:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. We suggest NordVPN, which offers an extensive network with servers on all continents.
- Download the VPN on your device
- Connect to a country that can access PokerStars, such as Canada
- Launch PokerStars and join a Real Money table!
How to play PokerStars in Australia
PokerStars Australia is unavailable due to the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill. As such, players need the assistance of a VPN for Australia if they are to continue gaming. Here’s a quick guide on getting started:
- Sign up for a high-quality VPN. You won’t experience any performance issues with NordVPN.
- Install the VPN app on the device of your choice
- Connect to a nearby country that allows online gambling, for example, New Zealand
- Test your luck on PokerStars!
How to play PokerStars in the UK
For now, PokerStars UK is still available, and you are free to gamble with real money. However, if you’re serious about online gambling and would like to reduce potential risks like DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks, you would be wise to get a UK VPN and secure your internet connection. Here’s how to do that:
- Grab a trustworthy VPN. NordVPN boasts top-notch privacy and security.
- Download and install the client
- Connect to a nearby server for optimal speed
- Select a PokerStars game and have fun!
Do we recommend free VPN for PokerStars?
In general, we don’t recommend using a free VPN to play PokerStars. That’s because no-pay services are often unreliable and can’t bypass geo-blocks on gambling platforms. Additionally, they have data caps and very few servers, meaning you’ll get snail-like speeds. Not to mention, free PokerStars VPNs may collect your data or riddle your devices with malware.
If you can’t pay for a VPN, there are a few other options that you can try:
- Get a freemium VPN for online poker. While a bit limited, freemium VPNs offer reliable security and privacy features. Plus, some of them might be able to bypass geo-blocks. Nevertheless, you’ll get very few servers to choose from, and the speeds might be a tad slow. The best of the bunch is Proton VPN.
- Grab a premium free trial VPN for PokerStars casino. This is the best option if you can’t pay for a premium subscription. For a limited time, you’ll get access to all servers and features. Furthermore, with the best VPN, such as NordVPN, you can punch through firewalls and geo-blocks, so accessing and playing on PokerStars will be easy as pie.
Can PokerStars detect VPN?
Yes, PokerStars can detect VPN usage, but the platform doesn’t actively hunt players that rely on the technology. If there’s reason to believe a user is utilizing this technology to access the casino illegally, though, action will be taken.
PokerStars is no stranger to suspending accounts and even freezing funds if need be. The website can’t operate in certain countries for a reason, and breaking these rules can land you and the company in trouble. But you must be caught first for any of these scenarios to become a reality.
That’s why it’s crucial to pick a reliable PokerStars VPN that doesn’t cut corners concerning total user safety & privacy. You always want to remain undetectable, even if the service glitches or the connection drops.
Safety tips while playing PokerStars with a VPN
Naturally, just the technical features of a PokerStars VPN aren’t going to cut it. You must also practice caution if you’re aiming for a trouble-free experience.
- Always launch the VPN app before the PokerStars application and make sure all security features, such as a kill switch, are toggled on. Perform an IP and DNS leak test just in case.
- Withdraw your winnings as often as possible. You never know when PokerStars will pull the rug from under you and restrict your country from playing. It has happened before, and players could no longer access their accounts.
- Avoid using any payment options that could reveal your real identity and location. Instead, look into some off-shore options, such as PayPal, or deposit and withdraw money using cryptocurrencies.
- Utilize the Stealth VPN feature or dedicated IPs if your VPN offers them. The first hides VPN usage, great for avoiding PokerStars detection, while the other grants you a personal IP. It causes less suspicion when only one person accesses online casinos from the same address instead of several dozen.
Like many other online betting websites, PokerStars is a victim of gambling regulations and bans worldwide. That’s why a VPN is an excellent addition to your arsenal, whether you’re a casual player or a die-hard poker master. It will help you avoid geo-blocks and let you access the gambling platform in any banned country.
And the best VPN for PokerStars is NordVPN. It packs a punch against restrictions, so you can access the online poker platform easily. Plus, it has plenty of servers and great features that will make your gambling experience a lot smoother. And, of course, it will keep your information safe and private whether you’re playing or browsing.
Can you play PokerStars with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to play PokerStars in the legal states to protect your privacy and data. In the illegal countries, you need to use a top-tier PokerStars VPN like NordVPN to bypass blocks and avoid detection & bans.
Is it legal to play PokerStars with VPN?
No, it is legal to play poker online with a VPN in PokerStars-friendly countries. You might get in trouble if you get caught using an unreliable VPN in countries that prohibit online gambling. Therefore, you should pick a VPN like Surfshark VPN to avoid any calamities and bans.
Can you play PokerStars in the US?
Yes, you can play PokerStars in the US if you live in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or other gambling-friendly states. If you live outside these jurisdictions, you won’t be able to access the online casino. Therefore, if you want to play poker in illegal states, you’ll need a reliable VPN (such as NordVPN) to access the platform.
What is the best PokerStars USA VPN?
The best VPN for playing PokerStars in the USA is NordVPN. It’s based in Panama and has a third-party audited no-logs policy, dedicated IPs, anonymous payment methods, servers on all continents, obfuscated servers, and excellent connection speeds for all online activities.
Can you play PokerStars in California?
No, you can’t play PokerStars in California as it doesn’t operate there. But you can slip through the virtual barriers holding you back with a VPN. Our experts find NordVPN the most reliable solution against PokerStars blocks. Besides, it keeps your matches private without compromising performance.
Can I play PokerStars in Florida?
No, PokerStars isn’t legal to play in Florida. But Floridians can bypass the geo-blocks surrounding the casino with a VPN service. Our research showcases that NordVPN has a 100% success rate of unblocking PokerStars anywhere, including Florida. Plus, you add extra layer security to your sessions.
Can I play PokerStars in New York?
No, currently New York prohibits PokerStars from operating there. However, the issue might be retaken in the new bill this year. Until then, we advise playing PokerStars from New York with the help of a VPN service to remove the geo-blocks. NordVPN is the #1 tested-and-tried option for online poker.