Although Netflix is one of the most well-known video streaming platforms in the world, it’s far from perfect. The most frustrating issue with it is geographical restrictions. It basically means each country gets a different selection of movies and TV shows.
For example, South Korea offers an exceptionally diverse selection of content, which is normally unavailable anywhere else. However, movie connoisseurs with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can change their location and watch foreign content without limitations.
Continue reading to find out how to watch Korean Netflix in the US and which VPN is best equipped for this task.
How to watch Korean Netflix in the US with a VPN
Have no patience to read the entire article? No worries; just pick one of the three VPNs below, and you’re good to go!
Shortlist of the best VPN to watch Korean Netflix
- The best VPN for watching Korean Netflix in the US9.6
- Netflix VPN with unlimited connections9.3
- Cheapest VPN for unblocking Korean Netflix9.1
Why do you need a VPN to watch Korean Netflix?
Geographical restrictions and copyright laws plague globally-available content distribution platforms like Netflix. This means that many movies and TV shows are licensed for broadcast only in particular regions, not worldwide. Luckily, that’s not a problem you need to worry about when you have a well-performing VPN for Netflix.
You might be asking, “What is a VPN exactly?” In short, it’s a program that redirects your online activities through third-party servers in other countries. This maneuver hides your IP address, encrypts your online activities, and makes websites believe you’re connecting from somewhere else.
As you can imagine, these perks can do much more than just change your Netflix region. For starters, AES-256 encryption makes your online activities completely indecipherable to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Meanwhile, a masked IP and location equal online anonymity and immunity to stalking.
The only downside to a VPN connection is a reduction in connection speed. But that’s barely noticeable if you’re using a fast VPN service with modern and efficient technology.
Best VPNs to watch Korean Netflix from abroad
Watching Korean Netflix (or any other streaming service) comfortably from the US requires a VPN with certain features. Some are essential, while others aren’t strictly necessary. Here’s a rundown of what the best VPNs for Korean Netflix should have:
- Plenty of servers in South Korea
- VPN kill switch to prevent leaks
- DNS leak protection
- Modern tunneling protocols for fast connection speeds
- Multiple simultaneous connections with one account
- Apps for popular streaming devices
- Router firmware
We’ll dig deeper into why these perks are necessary later. Suffice it to say, our recommended three VPNs for watching Korean Netflix have all fronts covered. Learn more about them below.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate VPN for unblocking Korean Netflix abroad
24/7 live chat, Email
- Top speeds on the VPN market
- Diverse device compatibility
- Bonus digital security perks
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the ultimate tool for unblocking Korean Netflix anywhere. It’s jam-packed with servers in Asia and has a good track record of working with various streaming platforms. Try it out with the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
The service boasts a massive fleet of 5800+ servers across 60+ countries. You can pick from standard or specialty server options (obfuscated, P2P, Onion over VPN, double VPN, dedicated IP). Whichever you choose, the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures mind-blowing connectivity.
Besides Netflix, you can use NordVPN with BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and many other popular streaming services. You’ll have no trouble utilizing the VPN on any device, thanks to the SmartPlay feature. Meanwhile, all other online activities will be secured with the help of Threat Protection.
Use a NordVPN coupon code and enjoy meager $3.49/month subscription prices. No need to hesitate because the 30-day money-back exit strategy is available if you change your mind.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – affordable VPN for watching Korean Netflix on limitless devices
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Loads of privacy features
- Wicked-fast connection speed
- Greatest country selection
- Some features cost extra
Want to watch Korean Netflix on an unlimited number of devices? Then go with Surfshark VPN! It supports unlimited connections with one account, an impressive country selection, and affordable prices. You can get a sneak peek at these benefits using the 7-day Surfshark free trial.
Surfshark VPN runs a wide-reaching network of 3200+ RAM-only servers in 100+ countries. Standard server options are supplemented with MultiHop and Static IP alternatives. On the other hand, you can have an ever-changing IP address with the IP Rotator feature. Moreover, swift connection speeds are ensured with the open-source WireGuard protocol.
This VPN is compatible with a diverse range of devices, including desktop, mobile, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and routers. Best of all, Smart DNS is available if you don’t want to hassle with apps or router setup. Meanwhile, digital security is ensured with numerous other features, such as CleanWeb, NoBorders mode, and Camouflage mode.
Get these perks and more for only $2.30/month using a Surfshark coupon code. If you’re not completely on board, remember that the 30-day money-back insurance covers you.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PureVPN – cheapest VPN for streaming Korean Netflix in the USA
24/7 live chat
- Wide-reaching server network
- Excellent connectivity with WireGuard
- Quantum-resistant encryption
- Many paywalled features
Looking for the most affordable way of unblocking Korean Netflix anywhere? PureVPN is the way to go! Pricing starts at $2.08/month and includes a huge variety of benefits in terms of streaming, security, and privacy.
PureVPN runs a fleet of 6500+ servers across 71+ countries. You’ll find specialized servers for streaming, torrenting, or maximizing speed. Additionally, you can grab a dedicated IP address if you want an exclusive server for your specific needs. On the other hand, tunneling protocol options include ultra-fast WireGuard and other well-known alternatives.
The service keeps subscription prices low by paywalling features not everyone might need. For example, the PureEncrypt file encryption service costs an additional $0.99/month. Meanwhile, password protection in the form of PureKeep sets you back an extra $0.99/month. You’ll also have to shell out more money for port forwarding, DDoS protection, and data breach monitoring.
Invest only $0.99 for the 7-day PureVPN trial. After that, all purchases are protected with a 31-day money-back guarantee. Don’t forget to use a PureVPN coupon for massive discounts.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
How we selected these VPNs to stream Korean Netflix
Besides the obvious things like servers in South Korea, we had to consider a good deal of other criteria when picking our suggestions. Here’s a brief overview of what we couldn’t overlook.
- Servers worldwide. An excellent VPN is a versatile and multi-purpose one. This is exemplified by having a diverse selection of servers across the globe. Then you’re able to unlock much more content from abroad.
- Connection speed. Streaming HD video content without issues requires unwavering connectivity. You can be certain buffering issues won’t trouble you if a VPN has top-of-the-line tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard. Plus, you can check up-to-date speed results using our VPN speed test.
- Device compatibility. TV enthusiasts watch their favorite shows on the big screen, not on laptops or mobile phones. Therefore, you need a VPN that supports your particular home entertainment device. At the very least, it should be compatible with routers so you can unblock content on practically any internet-connected gadget.
- Security features. Using Netflix isn’t a security risk, but browsing the rest of the internet is. You’ll get the most bang from your VPN if it’s equipped with extra security features against ads, trackers, and viruses.
- Privacy practices. If you plan on using your VPN always, you should be certain it isn’t excessively logging your data. A service is 100% trustworthy if it is located outside Five Eyes’ alliance jurisdiction and has an audited no-logs policy.
- Subscription price. Netflix doesn’t come cheap, and so you shouldn’t pay loads of cash to unlock more of it. As such, we picked VPN providers with excellent price-to-performance ratios, money-back guarantees, and coupon-powered deals.
- Customer support options. Sometimes Netflix doesn’t play ball with VPNs, and it isn’t made clear why. That’s why it’s good to have customer service experts to fall back on.
How to watch Korean Netflix on different devices
Although Netflix and VPNs are available on various devices, combining the two can be tricky. That’s why we’re providing you with a handful of guides for setting up and watching Korean Netflix on different platforms.
- How to watch Korean Netflix on phones
- How to watch Korean Netflix on PC
- How to watch Korean Netflix on smart TV
How to watch Korean Netflix on mobile phones (Android, iOS)
- Subscribe to a mobile-friendly VPN for streaming. Our #1 recommendation is NordVPN
- Download the virtual private network software from your phone’s app store
- Connect to a server in South Korea
- Open the Netflix app and enjoy exclusive content from Korea!
How to watch Korean Netflix on PC (Windows, macOS)
- Purchase a VPN service with software for your desktop OS. I use NordVPN, the best overall VPN
- Visit the provider’s website and download the VPN application
- Install the app, log in, and connect to a South Korean server
- Visit the Netflix website or app to watch Korean content!
How to watch Korean Netflix on smart TVs
Smart TVs don’t have unified operating systems like desktop and mobile devices. Instead, they vary depending on the manufacturer and don’t support VPN software. Which means you’ll need to install the VPN on your home router if you’d like to curb geographical restrictions. Best of all, this method works with any other network-connected device.
Here’s a general guide, but remember that details will depend on your VPN service and router hardware.
- Sign up for a VPN that provides router firmware. Can’t go wrong with NordVPN
- Install the VPN on your home router (check your provider for details)
- Connect your smart TV to the newly-configured router network
- Turn on your TV and ensure the IP address changed
- Tune into Netflix and watch whatever your heart desires!
Can’t stream Korean Netflix with a VPN: solution
Changing your Netflix region with a VPN has a fair share of hurdles you may come across, especially if you’re not using one of our tested and recommended services. Luckily, the number of potential fixes is just as expansive.
Below are a few solutions you can try when Netflix refuses to cooperate with your VPN.
- Check for DNS leaks. A flawed VPN connection without DNS leak protection can expose your true location. If your tunnel isn’t airtight, you’ll stand no chance of getting around Netflix geo-blocking. Use a website like ip.me to check for DNS leaks.
- Switch to another server. The most common tactic for limiting VPN users is via IP address blocking. Thankfully, it’s easy to get a new one by connecting to another server. And please note that having a dedicated IP address means no one else can get your IP address blocked.
- Clear browser cookies. Browser trackers and cookies store unprecedented data about you, including location information. These data crumbs can mitigate your efforts to get around geo-blocking. Clear your browsing history or use incognito mode whenever you want to unblock Netflix.
- Update your VPN software. Make sure you’re on your A-game by keeping your VPN software updated.
- Try a VPN browser extension. Sometimes solving a problem requires a different approach. In this case, you could try using a VPN browser extension to unblock Netflix rather than the dedicated application.
- Contact customer service. If nothing works, reach out to customer support specialists of your VPN provider. They’ll get to the bottom of your problem in no time.
How to watch Korean Netflix for free
It should be obvious that watching Korean Netflix for free is impossible. For starters, Netflix is a paid service and doesn’t have a free trial. But if someone else is paying for your subscription, getting more out of it with a free VPN service sounds like an excellent idea. Unfortunately, there are few caveats to consider.
Firstly, reliable no-cost VPNs clearly state they aren’t suitable for unblocking Netflix. If you find a free VPN that claims otherwise, consider that a red flag.
Secondly, costless services don’t provide servers in South Korea. They can only manage dirt-cheap servers in Europe and America.
Furthermore, you’ll have to deal with numerous other limitations, including data caps, slow connections, and fewer security features.
And finally, free programs are usually viruses or malware in disguise. VPNs are no exception, so it’s best not to risk infecting your device with malicious software.
What to watch on Korean Netflix
The South Korean Netflix library has tons of movies and TV shows unavailable anywhere else. After all, the country that brought us Parasite and Squid Game undoubtedly has plenty of other undiscovered diamonds of entertainment.
Below is a teaser of what’s available in the far-away region’s selection.
|Space Sweepers, Okja, The 8th Night, Tune in for Love, Sweet & Sour, Forgotten||Our Beloved Summer, My Name, Hellbound, Sweet Home, Hotel del Luna, The Uncanny Counter|
Unlocking the coveted Korean Netflix library is a task only a few virtual private networks can achieve. Servers in the country and unwavering connection speeds are paramount for getting the best possible experience while streaming content from the remote region. As such, you’ll need a premium VPN with modern tunneling protocols, thousands of servers, and years of experience.
NordVPN is our top recommendation, although you’ll also get favorable results with other providers.
What do you want to watch on Korean Netflix using a VPN? Share your favorite Korean dramas in the comments section below!
You may also like to read:
How to get Netflix with a discount
Best VPN for HBO Max
Best VPN for Disney Plus
Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video
How to get cheap YouTube premium
How to watch BBC iPlayer anywhere
Best VPN for Crunchyroll
How can I watch Korean Netflix?
You can watch Korean Netflix anywhere using a tried and tested VPN for streaming. This program redirects your web traffic through remote servers, granting you a new IP address while hiding your actual location. Additionally, you have total anonymity because of encryption.
Is it legal to use VPN to access Korean Netflix?
Yes, using a VPN to access Korean Netflix or any other foreign library is perfectly legal. However, the service might block you from watching anything if your VPN connection is discovered. Luckily, that’s an unlikely scenario using our top 3 VPNs for Korean Netflix.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Korean Netflix?
No, a free VPN is incapable of unblocking foreign Netflix libraries. Most free VPNs don’t even have servers in South Korea, meaning you don’t even have the option to try. As such, you must invest in a premium VPN to change your Netflix region to South Korea.
How do I get a Korean Netflix VPN?
You can get a VPN capable of unblocking Korean Netflix using VPN coupon codes. It would be best if you used these when subscribing to get massive discounts on long-term plans. Moreover, your purchase is protected with a money-back guarantee, allowing you to refund the service if it doesn’t satisfy your needs.