The Amazon Fire Stick is a tiny USB-stick-sized device that you connect to an HDMI port of a TV. This transforms the regular television into a fully-equipped entertainment powerhouse with access to various channels and streaming platforms.
Unfortunately, your library of options may differ based on your location and IP address. But what if you could change all of that without paying a dime?
That won’t be a problem if you use one of the best free VPNs for Fire Stick. A virtual private network reroutes your connection through a remote server, thus altering your digital location and curbing geographical restrictions. Learn more by reading this article!
Best free VPN for Fire Stick: shortlist
- The best free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick9.7
- Free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited device connections9.3
- Versatile & free Fire Stick VPN9.0
How to install a free VPN on Amazon Fire Stick
- Choose a free VPN with a dedicated FireOS app. Our #1 choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Search for the VPN app on the Amazon App Store
- Download the software and connect to any server
- Watch content on the Amazon Fire Stick securely!
Should you use a free VPN for Fire Stick?
It should come as no surprise that a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick isn’t as good as a premium virtual private network. Fully no-cost digital services have to maintain themselves somehow, and it’s unclear how they do so without an obvious revenue stream. Meanwhile, freemium providers reserve the best features for paid plans, while free users get the bare minimum.
That means that using a free VPN for whatever reasons involves certain limitations. For example, it could mean fewer server locations and features and lower connection speeds. Alternatively, a fully free VPN could work fairly alright and collect data or inject malware into your device.
However, there is hope if your only goal is digital security without a monetary investment. We selected the five best free VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick that you can use for free and enjoy reliable protection. But if you want to unblock geographically restricted content, you’ll need to subscribe to a premium VPN for Fire Stick.
Best free VPNs for Fire Stick: overview
- NordVPN – the best free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Surfshark VPN – free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited device connections
- PrivateVPN – versatile & free Fire Stick VPN
- Proton VPN – privacy-first free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited data
- Atlas VPN – security-focused free VPN for Fire Stick
The best free VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick come in different forms. Potential customers can use the top two for free only temporarily, but they’re capable of doing anything your heart desires. Meanwhile, the rest are freemium options that you can use for an unlimited time but with certain restrictions.
Whichever you choose, it will be equipped with VPN essentials for keeping your online activities anonymous. These features include:
- VPN kill switch
- IP and DNS leak protection
- AES-256 encryption
- Informative customer support
- Modern tunneling protocols
You can learn more about the bonus features of each VPN service by reading the short descriptions below. Or dive deeper and check their complete reviews for more details.
1. NordVPN – the best free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
24/7 live chat, Email
- 7-day free trial
- Independently audited and secure
- Top choice for video streaming
- No router app
NordVPN is the best free VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. You can enjoy the complete package risk-free for over a month by combining the 7-day NordVPN trial with the 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, pricing starts at only $3.09/month.
Firstly, this service boasts a vast fleet of 5500+ servers across 59+ countries. Many of them utilize RAM-only technology for top-notch data integrity. Additionally, mind-blowing connectivity is ensured with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol, an upgraded version of WireGuard.
Customers frequently stay with this provider because of its excellent capabilities at unblocking Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and other streaming platforms. Besides entertainment benefits, NordVPN effectively deals with online dangers using the Threat Protection feature. Lastly, you can rest assured that your activities will remain private because the service is based in Panama.
You can use one NordVPN account to secure up to 6 different devices simultaneously. If that’s not enough, set up the VPN on a router and conveniently protect your entire household by using up only one connection. And make sure to utilize a NordVPN discount code at checkout to maximize savings.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited device connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- 7-day free trial
- Ultra-fast connectivity with WireGuard
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark VPN is a great choice if you have an unfathomable number of devices that need a VPN connection. Give it a shot via the Surfshark 7-day trial and follow up using the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re ready to commit, prices begin at $2.21/month.
First off, the fleet consists of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 95+ countries, an impressive selection in the VPN industry. You can select from regular, MultiHop, and Static IP locations to fit your needs. Best of all, WireGuard is available for providing breakneck connection speeds.
While online, your browsing experience will be kept spotless with the help of CleanWeb. You can also limit the VPN connection to a handful of apps using Bypasser. On the other hand, digital censorship won’t be an issue if you enable NoBorders mode.
Subscribe to Surfshark and protect an unlimited number of devices with one account. Don’t forget to use a Surfshark coupon code to secure the best possible pricing plans.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – versatile and free Fire Stick VPN
24/7 live chat
- Apps for all major devices
- Great against geo-blocks
- Affordable and effective
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN is an excellent no-cost VPN for Fire Stick without any time limitations. You can use it at no cost for over a month as long as you combine the 7-day free trial with the 30-day money-back guarantee. Then pay no more than $2.00/month if you decide to subscribe.
The premium plans unlock over 200+ servers across 63+ countries. And while there is no WireGuard tunneling protocol, great connectivity and zero lag are still a guarantee. How is that possible? With OpenVPN and High Quality Network (HQN) bought straight from the source.
If need be, PrivateVPN customers can mask their VPN usage tracks with Stealth VPN. Meanwhile, Application Guard terminates select apps in the case the VPN stops working. The provider also has a friendly stance on torrenting, offering such features as port forwarding and a free SOCKS5 proxy.
Every subscription comes with 10 simultaneous connections and you can use them to do anything you want securely. Freely tune into foreign Netflix libraries or explore the wide array of content on HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc. The cherry on top is that torrenting is enabled on all servers.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Proton VPN – privacy-first free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited data
Email, knowledge base
- Audited, open-source, and based in Switzerland
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Unlimited data on the free plan
- Not great for streaming
Consider Proton VPN if privacy is a priority. This provider is based in Switzerland, and its apps are open source and available for scrutiny. Plus, the no-logs policy has been independently-audited. Get the full package by signing up for $4.99/month.
The complete network contains 1700+ servers in 64+ countries. Users can reap enhanced security by connecting to Secure Core locations for unrivaled privacy. Furthermore, NetShield will protect against malware, trackers, and annoying ads. And speed loss will be unnoticed since connections are conducted with WireGuard and optimized further with VPN Accelerator.
Unlike most freemium virtual private networks, Proton VPN doesn’t impose any data caps. However, there are still other limitations imposed. For example, free users can only connect to servers in the US, the Netherlands, and Japan. Connection speed is also throttled a bit to ensure paying customers get the best possible experience. Plus, P2P activities are unsupported unless you’re a subscriber.
Protect up to 10 devices using the premium plan. Look through the available Proton VPN coupons and use one when subscribing. Best of all, your purchase is insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. Atlas VPN – security-focused free VPN for Fire Stick
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited device connections
- Excellent price-to-performance ratio
- Great for streaming and security
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is an excellent option if you’re paranoid about malicious ads, online trackers, and malware. The free plan is effective at dealing with these threats. Meanwhile, the premium plan is exceptionally affordable and starts at a measly $1.83/month.
First off, the Atlas VPN network has 750+ servers in 37+ countries. Users can choose from regular, streaming, and Privacy Pro locations to accomplish their VPN goals. Either way, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will keep connectivity high and latency low.
Atlas VPN is available on desktop computers, mobile devices, and streaming devices like Android TV. Sadly, the free plan doesn’t unlock the Amazon Fire TV app, meaning you’ll have to sideload the Android app. Additionally, the no-cost plan caps out at 5 GB/month and only provides New York, Los Angeles, and Amsterdam as connection options.
Become a paying customer and secure an infinite number of devices with this service. Use an Atlas VPN discount to get extraordinary discounts and other benefits.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How we picked the best free VPN for Fire Stick
Picking the top free VPNs for Fire Stick is no easy task since there are so many options. Most of them aren’t great, so we had to decide on a few essential criteria to help filter out the best from the rest.
- Price. Unsurprisingly, we had to limit the options to services with free plans, trials, and money-back guarantees. Plus, subscription prices should be affordable if you ever decide to commit to a paid plan. Meanwhile, fully-free providers are out of the question as they’re notorious for collecting user data and being unreliable.
- Device compatibility. If an Amazon Fire TV app isn’t available, the provider should at least be compatible with Android. That way, you’ll be able to sideload the VPN onto your Fire Stick. You may also configure the VPN on a router if that’s not up your alley.
- Speed. A pleasant experience on Amazon Fire Stick is only possible if the VPN provides top-notch connectivity for lag-free video streaming. This can be ensured using modern tunneling protocols, for example, WireGuard.
- Servers. Free VPNs typically have an abysmal selection of servers. Despite that, it’s possible to find a provider with server options near your location for optimal connection quality.
- Security. Besides essential security, virtual private networks can protect against ads, trackers, malware, and viruses via bonus features. Make sure your provider is prepared against the online threats you’re most concerned about.
- Privacy. Confidentiality is guaranteed if a VPN sticks to a no-logs policy, provides anonymous payment options, and resides outside Five Eyes jurisdiction. Bonus points if a third party audited the service.
- Customer support. Setting up a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick can be tricky if there’s no dedicated app. In such cases, it’s great to have knowledgeable customer support agents to turn to, ideally available 24/7.
How to get a free VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick
There are two ways of reaping the benefits of a VPN on your Amazon Fire Stick. The first method is straightforward and involves downloading the dedicated FireOS VPN app from the Amazon Appstore. Alternatively, you’ll have to sideload an apk file to your device, which is a more complicated process. We’ll provide guides for both methods.
How to download a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Pick a free VPN service with a dedicated FireOS app. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Visit the Amazon App Store and search for the VPN
- Click the Get button to download and install the virtual private network
- Open the application and enter your credentials once the process is complete
- Select a VPN server and connect to it
- Enjoy top-notch security and privacy while using Amazon Fire TV!
How to sideload a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Sign up for a free Fire Stick VPN that provides apk files. I’d go with NordVPN
- Boot up your Amazon Fire TV Stick, visit the Settings menu, and select Device
- Go to Developer Options and toggle on Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
- Return to the home page, go to the App Store, and search for the Downloader app
- Run the Downloader app and input the URL of your VPN provider’s apk file
- Once downloaded, install the VPN app
- Open the VPN application and log in
- Connect to any VPN server
- Use your Amazon Fire TV Stick privately!
VPN not working with Fire Stick
Free VPNs for FireOS are more prone to issues than premium options. If you ever come across problems while trying to unblock content on the Fire Stick, try some of these fixes.
- Connect to a different server. Usually the problem lies with a particular server, not the VPN as a whole. Therefore, reconnecting to a different one is the simplest and sometimes the best option.
- Check if the IP changed. Go to the settings menu of your Amazon Fire TV. Click on device, then about. There you should see the IP address of your device. Make sure it matches the IP of the VPN server. Otherwise, you’re dealing with an IP leak and potentially faulty virtual private network.
- Update the VPN software. Perhaps something doesn’t work because your VPN app is out of date. Check the version on your device and whether it’s the latest one.
If nothing works, try contacting your VPN provider’s customer support. They’ll be able to help with your particular issue. Otherwise, you may have to contend with the fact that a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick isn’t necessarily the best option.
Are free VPNs safe to use?
Free VPNs can be split into two categories:
- Fully free VPNs
- No-cost options of premium providers
The first option is completely unreliable since it’s unclear how it keeps the lights on. The most common practices for getting extra revenue include collecting excessive user data and injecting adware or other viruses. Therefore, such a VPN completely fails in the security and privacy department.
Meanwhile, freemium options stay afloat thanks to paying customers. Naturally, these users get the complete set of features, while freeloaders have to deal with certain limitations. However, these restrictions affect usability and convenience without negatively impacting security. Just remember that features like Netflix region changing are usually reserved for premium subscribers.
Luckily, the most-coveted features of virtual private networks don’t necessarily cost a fortune. If you’re on a tight budget, you can get away with a well-rounded cheap VPN service. Otherwise, you can alternate between free trial VPNs if you only need temporary security while, let’s say, traveling.
You can learn more about this topic by visiting our YouTube channel and watching the video explaining whether free VPNs are safe to use.
Using the best free VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick won’t necessarily unblock geographically restricted content, but they will keep you out of harm’s way online. If you want 4K streaming, geo-block circumvention, and easy-to-use apps, consider paid Fire TV Stick VPNs. Look through our recommendations and pick the tested and reliable providers to avoid buyer’s remorse.
Are you using a free VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick? Is it good enough? Share your experiences by leaving a comment!
Are free Fire Stick VPNs safe to use?
That depends on whether the VPN is completely free or freemium. The former isn’t safe as it potentially collects your data and sells it to compensate for the lack of a subscription. Meanwhile, the latter is trustworthy since it earns revenue from paying customers and doesn’t rely on free users.
Which free VPN is the best for Fire Stick?
NordVPN is the best free VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. You can use it for free thanks to the 7-day trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee. But if you want an unlimited no-cost virtual private network, consider Hide Me VPN.
Is there a totally free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick?
Most likely, but it’s not recommended to use such services. They are notorious for collecting user data, bombarding the screen with excessive ads, and even installing viruses. As such, you should opt for freemium Fire Stick VPNs. They impose certain restrictions but don’t put your digital security and privacy in jeopardy.