The Amazon Fire Stick is a tiny USB-stick-sized device that elevates your streaming experience. Unfortunately, your library of options may differ based on your location and IP address. But what if you could change all of that without paying a dime? Well, a handy free VPN for Firestick should do the trick!
A free virtual private network routes your internet traffic through different servers and alters your IP address. In the process, it changes your digital location, so you’re able to see other content libraries. That means you’ll get a bunch of new movies and shows to enjoy.
So, keep reading and find out which free Firestick VPN is the best.
Best free VPN for Fire Stick: shortlist
- Best free VPN for Amazon Firestick streaming9.7
- Free trial VPN for Firestick with no device limit9.4
- 100% free VPN for Firestick9.2
How to install free VPN on Firestick
- Pick the best free Firestick VPN with a dedicated app. Our top pick is NordVPN, now 57% off
- Get the app from the Amazon App Store after you’ve finished registering
- Launch the application and connect to a server in a country of your choice
- Now you’ll get to watch a bunch of new content on your Firestick!
Should you use a totally free VPN for Firestick?
While 100% free VPNs for Firestick look good on paper, sadly, they are lacking compared to their premium counterparts. For starters, most no-pay services can’t bypass geo-blocks due to very few servers and blacklisted IP addresses. So, if you want to unblock more content, you’ll need the best Firestick VPN.
Not to mention, there are data limitations, abysmal speeds, and overcrowded servers that will ruin your streaming experience. And if that’s not enough, no-pay providers often compromise your privacy by selling your data to advertisers and other third parties.
Plus, unlike the multi-device VPN, free virtual private networks usually offer only 1 or 2 simultaneous connections. That, of course, is not enough, especially if you want to protect all of your smart gadgets.
Therefore, a better option is to pick a freemium or a free trial VPN. They won’t compromise your safety, and you’ll be totally private. Additionally, you’ll be able to stream new things on Firestick without any obnoxious curbs or interferences.
Best free VPNs for Fire Stick: overview
If you want more streaming options, then the best free VPN for Firestick is a must-have. We’ve also included some top-tier VPNs with free trial versions. All of them are able to bypass even the strictest geo-blocks on various streaming services. Moreover, all listed Firestick VPNs offer heaps of servers globally, meaning more content libraries to explore.
1. NordVPN – the best free trial VPN for Firestick
24/7 live chat, Email
- 7-day free trial
- Independently audited & secure
- Top choice for video streaming
- No router applet
For unlimited streaming possibilities, NordVPN is the best free trial VPN for Firestick. You can enjoy the complete package risk-free for over a month by combining the 7-day NordVPN trial with the 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, pricing starts at only $3.49/month.
And why is NordVPN at our #1 spot? Well, with it, you’ll have plenty of content libraries to explore as the provider covers 60+ countries with 5400+ servers. So, accessing Netflix Japan, Hulu, or BBC iPlayer will be easy breezy. Plus, you won’t have to worry about endless loading screens and slow speeds, thanks to the fastest NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Moreover, NordVPN apps are super easy to use, and you’ll get 6 simultaneous connections. For easy streaming on consoles and smart TVs that don’t support VPNs, you can utilize the SmartPlay feature. And obfuscated servers will help you bypass strict firewalls at schools, workplaces, or highly restricted countries.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – free Fire Stick VPN with unlimited device connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- 7-day free trial
- Ultra-fast connectivity with WireGuard
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another excellent Firestick free VPN is Surfshark. It’s a superb choice if you have an unfathomable number of devices that need a VPN connection. Give it a shot via the Surfshark 7-day trial and follow up using the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re ready to commit, prices begin at $2.30/month.
Apart from being a versatile service, Surfshark is excellent for streaming. It can easily bypass restrictions on ESPN, Disney+, All 4, and many other streaming services. That’s because it offers 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. You can also stream things on devices that don’t have VPN apps with the Smart DNS feature.
Apart from that, Surfshark ensures amazing connectivity with the WireGuard tunneling protocol and proprietary Nexus technology. And even if you live in highly restricted countries, you can enjoy the free internet, thanks to NoBorders and Camouflage modes. And undoubtedly, it will keep you secure and private.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – completely free VPN for Firestick
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited device connections
- Excellent price-to-performance ratio
- Great for streaming & security
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is a totally free VPN for Firestick that will protect you and keep you private. It offers 3 free locations to choose from: Los Angeles, New York, and Amsterdam. And you can use the no-pay version on 2 devices simultaneously.
However, the free Atlas version comes with a few limitations. For example, you’ll only get 5 GB/month of data, which is not enough if you plan on streaming a lot. Plus, bypassing geo-blocks might be difficult due to very few servers. You might also face slower speeds and server congestions.
But you can avoid that if you grab a premium for $2.05/month with an Atlas VPN coupon. You’ll be able to pick from 750+ servers in 37+ countries. Endless loading screens won’t be an issue, thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol and streaming-optimized servers. Lastly, there’s no device limit, so you can share Atlas VPN with your household.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Proton VPN – free unlimited VPN for Firestick
Email, knowledge base
- Excellent for privacy & safety
- Great server locations
- Unlimited data on the free plan
- Might be difficult to stream with free version
If you don’t want any data limitations, choose Proton VPN. It’s an excellent free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick that offers servers in the US, Japan, and the Netherlands. Moreover, it provides VPN Accelerator, which keeps your connectivity stable.
But not all is perfect with the freemium version. You are able to use Proton VPN on 1 device only. Moreover, servers might be overcrowded, which will result in slower speeds. Not to mention, bypassing geo-blocks on various streaming services will be extremely difficult. Luckily, there won’t be any curbs with the premium version.
You can join any of the 2100+ servers in 67+ countries. That means you’ll have plenty of opportunities to unblock and enjoy HBO Max, Netflix, or BBC iPlayer. Also, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will provide mind-blowing speeds. So, enjoy Firestick to the max with Proton VPN for $4.99/month with a special discount coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. Ivacy VPN – free VPN for Firestick with no subscription
24/7 live chat
- Apps for all major devices
- Great against geo-blocks
- Affordable and effective
- Lacks WireGuard
Ivacy is a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick that doesn’t require any registration. Therefore, you can get as many free connections as you want. Moreover, the no-pay version only has servers in the Netherlands. In addition, there are no data caps, so you can use Ivacy non-stop.
Sadly, you might have problems bypassing geo-blocks. Therefore, exploring various streaming libraries might be difficult. More so, don’t expect phenomenal speeds. And, of course, the servers might be overcrowded. As per usual, you can fix all of these problems with the premium version.
Grab a Ivacy VPN coupon and scoop a subscription for $1.00/month. That way, you’ll get 5700+ servers in 69+ countries. You’ll unblock the most wanted streaming platforms like Hulu, Netflix US, or BBC iPlayer. And to prevent slower-than-a-snail connectivity, you’ll get the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
For a deeper investigation of Ivacy VPN, read our Ivacy VPN review.
Best free Firestick VPN: comparison
If you’re still having a hard time deciding which free VPN for Firestick is the best, check out the comparison table below:
|Firestick app||Servers||Number of connections||Streaming services||Free version||Premium price|
|NordVPN||Yes||5400+ servers in 60+ countries||6||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc.||No, free trial only||$3.49/month|
|Surfshark VPN||Yes||3200+ servers in 100+ countries||Unlimited||Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.||No, free trial only||$2.30/month|
|Atlas VPN||Yes||2 free countries (US, Netherlands)||2 free (unlimited with premium)||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, etc. (premium only)||Yes||$2.05/month|
|Proton VPN||Yes||3 free countries (US, Netherlands, Japan)||1 free (10 with premium)||Netflix, Hulu, etc. (premium only)||Yes||$4.99/month|
|Ivacy VPN||Yes||1 free country (Netherlands)||2 free (10 with premium)||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. (premium only)||Yes||$1.00/month|
How we picked the best free VPN for Fire Stick
Picking the top free VPNs for Fire Stick is no easy task since there are so many options. Most of them aren’t great, so we had to decide on a few essential criteria to help filter out the best from the rest.
- Price. Unsurprisingly, we had to limit the options to services with free plans, trials, and money-back guarantees. Plus, subscription prices should be affordable if you ever decide to commit to a paid plan. Meanwhile, fully-free providers are out of the question as they’re notorious for collecting user data and being unreliable.
- Device compatibility. If an Amazon Fire TV app isn’t available, the provider should at least be compatible with Android. That way, you’ll be able to sideload the VPN onto your Fire Stick. You may also configure the VPN on a router if that’s not up your alley.
- Speed. A pleasant experience on Amazon Fire Stick is only possible if the VPN provides top-notch connectivity for lag-free video streaming. This can be ensured using modern tunneling protocols, for example, WireGuard.
- Servers. Free VPNs typically have an abysmal selection of servers. Despite that, it’s possible to find a provider with server options near your location for optimal connection quality.
- Security. Besides essential security, virtual private networks can protect against ads, trackers, malware, and viruses via bonus features. Make sure your provider is prepared against the online threats you’re most concerned about.
- Privacy. Confidentiality is guaranteed if a VPN sticks to a no-logs policy, provides anonymous payment options, and resides outside Five Eyes jurisdiction. Bonus points if a third party audited the service.
- Customer support. Setting up a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick can be tricky if there’s no dedicated app. In such cases, it’s great to have knowledgeable customer support agents to turn to, ideally available 24/7.
How to get a free VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick
There are two ways of reaping the benefits of a VPN on your Amazon Fire Stick. The first method is straightforward and involves downloading the dedicated FireOS VPN app from the Amazon Appstore. Alternatively, you’ll have to sideload an apk file to your device, which is a more complicated process. We’ll provide guides for both methods.
How to download a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Pick a free VPN service with a dedicated FireOS app. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Visit the Amazon App Store and search for the VPN
- Click the Get button to download and install the virtual private network
- Open the application and enter your credentials once the process is complete
- Select a VPN server and connect to it
- Enjoy top-notch security and privacy while using Amazon Fire TV!
How to sideload a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Sign up for a free Fire Stick VPN that provides apk files. I’d go with NordVPN
- Boot up your Amazon Fire TV Stick, visit the Settings menu, and select Device
- Go to Developer Options and toggle on Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
- Return to the home page, go to the App Store, and search for the Downloader app
- Run the Downloader app and input the URL of your VPN provider’s apk file
- Once downloaded, install the VPN app
- Open the VPN application and log in
- Connect to any VPN server
- Use your Amazon Fire TV Stick privately!
Download the best free Fire Stick VPN
VPN not working with Fire Stick
Free VPNs for FireOS are more prone to issues than premium options. If you ever come across problems while trying to unblock content on the Fire Stick, try some of these fixes.
- Connect to a different server. Usually the problem lies with a particular server, not the VPN as a whole. Therefore, reconnecting to a different one is the simplest and sometimes the best option.
- Check if the IP changed. Go to the settings menu of your Amazon Fire TV. Click on device, then about. There you should see the IP address of your device. Make sure it matches the IP of the VPN server. Otherwise, you’re dealing with an IP leak and potentially faulty virtual private network.
- Update the VPN software. Perhaps something doesn’t work because your VPN app is out of date. Check the version on your device and whether it’s the latest one.
If nothing works, try contacting your VPN provider’s customer support. They’ll be able to help with your particular issue. Otherwise, you may have to contend with the fact that a free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick isn’t necessarily the best option.
Best free Firestick VPN according to Reddit
One of the best places to look for unbiased opinions is Reddit. People share their experiences with various tools, platforms, and services. And Firestick free VPNs are no exception. Therefore, we went through heaps of threads to see the internauts’ opinions on no-pay services.
The majority of Redditors agree that using a completely free Firestick VPN is a bit sketchy. If you can’t spare money, people recommend Proton VPN as a viable option. However, most suggest using a reliable free trial VPN, as it can surely keep you safe and bypass geo-blocks.
Free VPNs to avoid on Firestick
We’ve talked a lot about the best services that you can use with Firestick. But now let’s see which worst VPNs you should avoid at all costs:
- Hola! VPN – trainwreck of a service that’s actually a P2P network. Full of bugs, vulnerabilities, and malware.
- Hotspot Shield VPN – it suffered from a bug that leaks users’ data. Plus, their business practices are very shady.
- Windscribe VPN – suffered Man in the Middle (MITM) attacks because their servers were unencrypted.
- Hoxx VPN – offers dreadful security features and very shady logging practices.
Avoid the Worst VPNs with NordVPN
If you want the smoothest online experience, choose NordVPN. It’s an amazing tool that will keep you safe while on the web Plus, as it’s the best VPN in 2023, it’s an excellent choice whether you want to game, stream, or torrent.
Using the best free VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick won’t necessarily unblock geographically restricted content, but they will keep you out of harm’s way online. If you want 4K streaming, geo-block circumvention, and easy-to-use apps, consider paid Fire TV Stick VPNs.
Look through our recommendations and pick the tested and reliable providers to avoid buyer’s remorse. Or instantly grab NordVPN and avoid any second thoughts. It’s fast, secure, and can easily bypass the strictest geo-blocks. So, you’ll get the best streaming experience.
Are you using a free VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick? Is it good enough? Share your experiences by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best free VPN for Disney+
Best free VPN for Netflix
Best free VPN for Kodi
Best free VPN for USA
Are there any free VPNs that are safe to use?
Using a completely free VPN on Firestick is not recommended. Totally no-pay services are often slow, unsafe, and can’t bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services. Therefore, a better option is a reliable freemium VPN if you can’t spare any cash.
Which free VPN is the best for Fire Stick?
NordVPN is the best free VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. You can use it for free thanks to the 7-day trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee. But if you want an unlimited no-cost virtual private network, consider Hide Me VPN.
Is there a totally free VPN for Amazon Fire Stick?
Yes, there are plenty of totally free VPN services for Firestick. However, they are usually unsafe and can’t unlock various streaming platforms. Therefore, you are better off by grabbing an industry-leading cheap VPN that will do the job right.
How do I install the best free VPN on Firestick?
You can easily install the best free Firestick VPN by getting it from the Amazon App Store. You simply have to press on the wanted VPN, wait till the download finishes, and then sign in. After that, select a server and explore new streaming libraries! If you need more instructions, read our Firestick VPN setup guide here.
I need something that will work well with my Fire TV. Do all of these work on it? Thanks guys.
I haven’t tried TunnelBear but heard good things about it. I want something for my firestick, a free option for now. I may opt for a paid vpn soon but not right now.
I’m actually surprised to see ProtonVPN in the sixth spot since I think it might be the best firestick VPN out there, when it comes to free options of course. Streaming will work great with Proton and with Windscribe which I also tested. For me, Proton worked just a bit better than Windscribe but the differences are sometimes very small. TunnelBear has certain limitations like that bandwidth cap that annoys me. If I were a beginner I would definitely try Proton and Windscribe first and only afterwards go for other options. Proton VPN is a very good, free options for anything except torrenting which shouldn’t rely on free tools anyway.
Is it really necessary to use a VPN on the fire tv ? I mean if you’re only using apps like Netflix or Molotov Tv do you really need one ? Even a free one ? I can understand that if you use Kodi on the firestick it’s better with a VPN but just for Netflix I’m not so sure.
As a free vpn for firestick I also think Windscribe is a great option. It might not be the best choice if you want to use Kodi for streaming movies (well, when you use Kodi I think you should get a paid VPN anyhow) but if you need something basic that still works fine, Windscribe is a very good option.
I have personally used ZenMate and I think it is the best VPN when it comes to choosing a Free VPN for your firestick.
OMG! Did you just mention Zenmate? have actually used it for other purposes and it was horrible lol. Maybe you should try Tunnel bear or Proton vpn either but I personally think Windscribe is the best vpn for firestick
I remember back in the day when I was upset when Amazon said certain content wasn’t available in my region. It’s not that I was upset but I didn’t do anything to fix this. I’m thankful I learned about using VPNs for my Firestick and now I just watch what I want.
For me, TunnerBear works great for firestick streaming! Moreover, the app is readily available on Amazon Fire Stick.
Had this issue for a long time with my Amazon FireStick. I’m glad there is a solution to solve this problem. Planing to use Hide.me VPN app.
Windscribe seems to be the cheapest/free VPN option for Kodi and Amazon firestick although the speed is a bit slower when using the free plan. I paid for the yearly subscription of $49 three days ago and found it to be literally very fast and stable. Would recommend it 10x’s over again