Because Kodi is a free, open-source media player, it’s understandable why you wouldn’t want to spend any money to secure it. The problem is that many free Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) out there have some questionable practices in place. They often fail to secure your online identity and instead track your actions and sell that data in the most egregious cases.
This is why we’ve carefully created a list of the top 7 free VPNs for Kodi that can be trusted. Naturally, they’re not as good as a worthwhile premium subscription, but you can’t expect perfection without any downsides. Check them out and see which combination of pros and cons is most suitable for you.
Top 5 free VPNs for Kodi: shortlist
- The best free VPN for Kodi9.7
- Free Kodi VPN with top-notch privacy9.4
- Free Kodi VPN with cheap premium plans9.2
How to install a free VPN for Kodi
- Subscribe to a reliable free Kodi VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Set up the software on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server best suited for you
- Unlock Kodi’s full potential!
The benefits of free VPNs for Kodi
Kodi can completely change how you interact with entertainment, from streaming services to games. But even this platform isn’t free from issues, especially if used on its own.
Utilizing a free VPN for Kodi gives you a few key advantages:
- Geo-block circumvention. While you can access various streaming platforms and channels, not all are available, depending on your region. A reliable free VPN allows you to connect to a server in the US or other locations and watch your desired content.
- Security against threats. If you ever tune in to Kodi on public Wi-Fi, you risk getting attacked by bad actors and your device getting injected with malicious software. You can’t be targeted if you’re technically invisible, though.
- Surveillance evasion. Some add-ons offer copyrighted content illegally. So, if you ever unknowingly download and use one, you’re likely to receive a copyright infringement notice or even a fine from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). A free VPN from a trustworthy provider helps avoid it by hiding what you’re doing online from all potential snoopers.
- Stopping throttling. Constant streaming and data-intensive online activities put users on their ISP’s bandwidth throttling list. But you won’t land on it if you’re protected by the robust security features of Virtual Private Networks.
The best free VPN for Kodi: detailed list
- NordVPN – The best VPN for Kodi
- Surfshark VPN – Free Kodi VPN with top-notch privacy
- Atlas VPN – Free Kodi VPN with cheap premium plans
- Proton VPN – Swiss-based free VPN for Kodi
- Hide Me VPN – Free VPN for Kodi with P2P enabled
The free VPN for Kodi you pick must adhere to a strict zero-logs policy to ensure the provider isn’t tracking you. And since you can’t expect to have it all feature-wise, at least the essential security tools should appear on the roster. A combo of military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP and DNS leak protection is needed.
Data caps and slower speeds come with the territory, so we tried gathering VPNs that offer reasonable limitations or none at all. Having enough server locations is crucial for bypassing geo-blocks, so this wasn’t overlooked either. Finally, broad device compatibility ensures you can watch Kodi from your go-to platforms.
1. NordVPN – the best free VPN for Kodi
24/7 live chat, Email
- Industry-leading security features
- NordLynx-powered speeds
- Independently audited and secure
- No router app
It’s not entirely free, per se, but NordVPN is the best choice for Kodi. The 7-day free trial combined with the 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to use the service risk-free for well over a month. Once it ends, the subscription costs $2.99/month.
The provider operates from privacy-friendly Panama, and independent entities have audited its no-logs policy. Besides that, it also boasts a network of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries, allowing you to bypass even the peskiest of geo-blocks. The proprietary NordLynx protocol powers everything, so speeds aren’t lacking either.
Subscribers get to secure up to 6 devices simultaneously. Manually setting up the VPN on your router is also viable if you need to protect more devices than the limit allows. You can freely install it on popular operating systems and streaming devices like Fire Stick, Roku, etc. And if the platform doesn’t support such software, the SmartPlay feature takes care of the problem.
Accessing region-restricted services like BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video can be done in just a few clicks. Are you more inclined to torrent than stream? Simply connect to P2P-optimized servers for the best performance.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – free Kodi VPN with top-notch privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Excellent speeds and security
- Uses Software Defined Networking
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Our second go-to choice for Kodi is Surfshark VPN. While not exactly free, it’s pretty affordable and has a 7-day free trial. Once claimed, you can utilize the VPN on unlimited devices. Naturally, you can also take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee to further try the service. After that, pay no more than $1.99/month.
It doesn’t collect any user data and goes the extra mile by offering additional tools to combat surveillance. CleanWeb makes sure no malware sets up shop on your device, while Camouflage and NoBorders modes help combat online censorship.
Surfshark VPN is equipped with 3200+ servers across 100+ countries, giving you easy access to various content across the globe. Furthermore, the WireGuard tunneling protocol ensures you don’t experience any lag or stuttering while watching shows on Kodi.
Having dedicated apps for major operating systems, plus Android TV and Amazon Fire, lets you enjoy foreign libraries of many streaming platforms. Smart DNS is also here to help with devices that don’t play well with VPN software. Lastly, torrenting is supported on all servers if you require P2P file-sharing to be available.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – free Kodi VPN with cheap premium plans
Email, tickets, FAQ
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Torrenting is allowed
- Use without creating an account
- Few countries
Atlas VPN doesn’t have a dedicated Kodi app, but fast speeds and the 10GB/month data cap make it one of the best free options. No info is being collected behind the scenes, and users get enough security features to be protected at home and in public. Moreover, you don’t have to create an account to use it.
Naturally, the free version isn’t without limitations. First, there are three server locations – Amsterdam, Los Angeles, and New York. Some mild speed reduction should be expected because the best servers are reserved for premium users. Thankfully, the next-gen WireGuard protocol facilitates optimal performance.
The free Atlas VPN app isn’t optimized for unblocking geo-restricted content either. On the other hand, you can freely share files via P2P and benefit from SafeBrowse, which ensures you don’t land on any dangerous websites.
Supported platforms include the usual OSs but streaming devices like Android TV and Amazon Fire TV only come with the paid tier. If you want first-rate features, you have to switch to premium, which costs just $1.64/month and is protected with the 30-day money-back guarantee. In any case, Atlas VPN is worth a shot if the other providers don’t live up to your expectations.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Proton VPN – Swiss-based free VPN for Kodi
Email, knowledge base
- User-friendly apps
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Anonymous payments
- No streaming and P2P
The brainchild of the CERN scientists behind ProtonMail, Proton VPN is known as one of the most secure free VPN services. Its third-party verified no-logs policy and robust tools contribute to the high level of online anonymity of all subscribers. Plus, the provider operates from Switzerland, a well-known privacy haven.
When it comes to Kodi, your activities remain hidden with Proton VPN. Another great advantage is that this VPN has unlimited monthly bandwidth. However, it’s worth mentioning the free version offers just three server locations – Japan, the Netherlands, and the US.
The free version has other limitations, like the 1 device per account limit and access to only one premium feature – VPN Accelerator. Under the right conditions, it can improve connections and speeds up to 400% and ensures that even connecting from far away doesn’t increase latency.
You can install it on all major platforms – Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux – and even Chromebook. Sadly, if you want to unblock streaming and torrenting, these options are only available to Proton VPN Plus plan subscribers for $3.99/month. You can always step away from it with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. Hide Me VPN – free VPN for Kodi with P2P enabled
- Torrenting is allowed
- Strict no-logs policy
- Broad device compatibility
- No streaming
Another good free VPN for Kodi worth considering is Hide Me VPN, hailing from a country with no data retention laws – Malaysia. The zero activity logs policy protects the free tier, and there are no ads to hinder your experience. Moreover, you can use up to 10GB/month and don’t need to have an account.
The one device per account limit narrows down your options, and there are just five different locations worldwide to choose from. They include Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, US East & West. A wide selection of tunneling protocols is available, including WireGuard.
It’s excellent if you have any P2P needs, as torrenting is enabled on all locations. And split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxies are available for securing or boosting your downloads respectably. Sadly, it doesn’t unblock Netflix and other streaming services.
All major platforms have dedicated apps, and Chromebook and Amazon Fire aren’t excluded either. But if you really want to enjoy the best Kodi has to offer, going premium is the right choice. The regular Hide Me VPN plans start at $2.49/month, and refunds aren’t off the table with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Hide Me VPN, read our Hide Me VPN review.
6. Windscribe VPN – free Kodi VPN for streaming
- Unblocks Netflix
- Torrenting is allowed
- Kodi app
- Based in Canada
Windscribe is the go-to freemium provider that doesn’t collect user information and offers a dedicated app for Kodi. Free tier subscribers get a generous 10 GB/month and a complete set of privacy features for keeping themselves anonymous. And the cherry on top is that there’s no device limit so that you can secure everything in the household.
There are 13 servers to choose from, the major countries being the UK, the US, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. This free Kodi VPN also includes the reliable WireGuard protocol, ensuring you can enjoy music and videos without a hitch.
It’s one of the few providers that allow torrenting and even includes a SOCKS5 proxy in the tool roster list. Netflix enthusiasts will also be happy to learn that Windscribe is capable of unblocking this streaming platform.
The VPN has applications for all major platforms and more, such as Amazon Fire TV. Of course, if everything mentioned here is simply not enough, you can always subscribe for the low price of $1.00/month to get more features. Even the commitment isn’t binding – get a refund with the 3-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Windscribe VPN, read our Windscribe VPN review.
7. Hotspot Shield – fast and free VPN for Kodi
24/7 live chat
- Supports all major platforms
- Great connection times
- Kodi app
- One server
Last but not least, another free VPN for Kodi you shouldn’t miss out on is Hotspot Shield. It doesn’t monitor its subscribers, and they remain safe under wraps no matter what they’re doing online. The free plan gives you a daily allowance of 500 MB of browsing data – quite good compared to most free providers.
Hotspot Shield is usually one of the fastest VPNs on the market with its proprietary Hydra protocol. While it does power the free version, it has a 2 Mbps bandwidth cap. There’s also a 1 device per account limit with only one possible server choice – the US.
Getting access to USA-only streaming services like Hulu and HBO Max won’t be a problem, along with content libraries meant for this region. Moreover, it’s available on a wide range of operating systems, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and the star of the article – Kodi.
Now, those who find the free tier too restrictive can upgrade their plan to premium. The plans start at $7.99/month and come with unlimited bandwidth to boot. Plus, you’ll be free from ads. Of course, refunds are possible if it doesn’t live up to the hype with the 45-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
How we picked these free VPNs for Kodi
Picking a free VPN service for Kodi is tricky because you have to sift through numerous providers that often can’t deliver on their promises. Lucky you, dear reader, we did all the leg work – all that’s left to do is find your match. We paid close attention to these criteria to ensure the best streaming experience:
- No data collection. The problem with most free services is that they tend to sell user data to stay afloat. For this reason, only providers with a strict no-logs policy ended up on the list. Those who have had it audited by an independent third party rank higher.
- Robust security. With Kodi being not safe to use on its own and various online dangers in general, you can never go overboard with protection. All essential tools that keep you hidden must be included in the roster list – we’re talking about AES-256 encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. The ranking takes into account which features are missing.
- Lenient limitations. It’s no secret that free Kodi VPNs have many restrictions regarding geo-block bypassing capabilities, data, speeds, available servers, etc. Generous data caps, a big server count, and being able to unblock foreign services are crucial factors for smooth Kodi streaming.
- Device compatibility. Kodi is available on many platforms, so the VPN should also have apps or support these systems. Keep in mind that while most have applications for major OSs, not every one is compatible with Amazon Fire Stick TV, Linux, etc.
- Customer support. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that, in most cases, free tier subscribers have lesser priority and can only get professional help via email and similar systems. Services that do offer live chat customer support get extra points.
Different ways to install a free VPN for Kodi
Getting VPNs to work with Kodi is a reasonably straightforward process. You can even download some of them on the platform itself in the form of add-ons. If that’s not the case with your provider, there are other steps you can take to secure your streaming, like manually setting up the VPN on your router.
How to install a free VPN for Kodi via add-on
- Subscribe to a reliable free VPN service for Kodi. NordVPN has a free trial – combine it with the money-back guarantee for over a month of free protection.
- Launch Kodi, go to Add-ons from the main menu, and select the Box icon
- Click Video Add-ons, and find your VPN provider’s add-on
- Select Install and let Kodi do the rest of the work. Once finished, return to the main menu and log in to the installed add-on.
- Pick a server that works best for you, and you’re done!
How to install a free VPN for Kodi via app
- Download the free Kodi VPN. NordVPN is known for its broad device compatibility.
- Install the client on your device. There’s usually no extra work as most services have dedicated apps for major operating systems and even streaming devices.
- Once that’s done, open the application and log in
- Select a server that suits you the best and connect to it
- Launch Kodi – now you’re secure and hidden!
How to set up a free VPN for Kodi via router
- Check whether your router is compatible with VPN software because not all devices allow manual configuration
- Get a router-compatible free VPN for Kodi. Our top choice, in this case, would be NordVPN.
- Open your web browser and enter the router’s IP address into the search bar to navigate to its configuration interface
- Log in – if this is the first time you’re accessing the settings, don’t forget to change the default password into something more secure
- Navigate to the VPN options and choose the VPN client – enter the correct settings (found at the VPN provider), and complete any post-installation steps (like configuring the router’s firewall)
- Test if everything works as intended by connecting any device to the VPN-configured router and heading to a DNS leak test
Common VPN problems with Kodi
Whether it’s free or premium VPN, any service can run into some issues from time to time. If you can’t access previously unblocked content, it’s highly likely something isn’t working as intended VPN-wise. Here are some things you can do to troubleshoot and hopefully solve the problem:
- Try a different server. Either the server is overcrowded, or you’re connected to a country that restricts particular content platforms. If the free Kodi VPN has other region options, pick another to see if it helps.
- Check for leaks. If your IP and DNS are leaking, you won’t be able to access any foreign content. In this case, we recommend checking if it’s true here and then cycling through available tunneling protocols. Make sure to reboot Kodi itself.
- Disable the Firewall. Firewalls can block the VPN from connecting to a server. Temporarily disable them or grant the Kodi VPN access through it.
- Update the VPN. Outdated software is often incapable of doing what it’s supposed to. Make sure no updates are pending. After that, reboot both the VPN and Kodi.
- Contact support. Either the client you’re using is bugged, or the service just isn’t capable of unblocking anything. If the free Kodi VPN includes customer support, seek answers from them.
If, by chance, none of the steps above provide any tangible results, it’s time to find a better provider. Top-notch services like NordVPN have a 7-day free trial which allows you to use the features you need, albeit for a limited duration. But if you pair it with the 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s more than enough time to reap this VPNs’ benefits.
Are free VPNs safe to use?
Not all free VPN services for Kodi are made equal. Some are made from sugar, spice, and everything nice, while others are made from other nasty bits, such as:
- Active monitoring – from device identifying information to IP addresses, internet habits, and more, most free services don’t shy away from tracking everything about you.
- Selling data to advertisers – after all that surveillance, the next step, naturally, is to profit from it. Of course, auctioning it to the highest bidder benefits all parties except you.
- Potential risks and intrusive ads – injecting malware and other malicious software into clients is nothing new with the majority of free providers. These, coupled with annoying ads that plague the software, help them better monitor you and put your overall security at risk.
- Draconian data caps – we understand why there’s a need to have data caps. But some take it a bit too far by limiting users to a point where having a VPN enabled only makes things worse usability-wise.
Another significant point is that some providers just aren’t able to unblock anything. However, you can avoid all these issues by getting the reliable free VPN services for Kodi listed above. And if the limitations are a bit too strict, cycling through VPN free trial versions is a viable option. Once the time is up, just jump to another one.
Free VPNs for Kodi you should avoid
Since we gave you a handy list of reliable services, we can’t forget to mention ones you should steer clear of. These providers are well-known for monitoring their users, and other practices that put your security and privacy at risk:
- Betternet VPN – has been caught injecting malware and adding user trackers to clients. This provider extensively collects information about its subscribers, has weak IP and DNS leak protection, and doesn’t include a kill switch.
- Psiphon – collects detailed logs and is generally ridden with intrusive ads that aggregate info, later shared with sponsors. The service has DNS leaks, doesn’t come with a kill switch, and some of its software is outdated.
- Hoxx VPN – retains extensive user data and cooperates with authorities and other third parties. It’s unclear what kind of encryption protects the free tier, and there are no standard security features included.
- VPN Gate – collects extensive logs and discloses them to government institutions when necessary. The infrastructure is powered entirely by volunteers, which is a great security concern. Lastly, there’s no kill switch or any standard leak protection tools.
Kodi is a remarkable media platform that Virtual Private Networks can enhance further. But if you want to go the completely free route, you can’t be too careful with your choices. With most “costless” providers, you actually end up paying with your privacy & security.
Luckily, there are a few trustworthy free VPNs for Kodi. You can find them listed in this article – the companies have kept themselves away from scandals while staying true to their strict no-logging policies. With them, you can be sure your traffic isn’t monitored and that your IP address is safe from third parties, including the ISP, government, and hackers.
What do you think is the best free Kodi VPN provider? Let us know in the comments below!
Is Kodi legal and safe?
Yes, Kodi is a legal free-to-use media player compatible with many devices. Using it entirely on its own is risky, though, as your ISP can track your activities, and there are plenty of dangerous third-party add-ons. Users are better off utilizing VPNs to bolster Kodi’s security and overall privacy.
Is there a free VPN that works with Kodi?
Yes, there are free VPNs that work with Kodi. We’ve made a list of the best free Kodi VPN services you can download to unlock more streaming options and hide your online identity.
What’s the best free VPN for Kodi on Firestick?
The best free VPN for Kodi on Fire Stick is NordVPN. The 7-day free trial combined with the 30-day money-back guarantee gives you ample time to watch anything you want via Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Will a free Kodi VPN work with other services?
Maybe, but it’s not very likely. Kodi itself doesn’t block VPNs, but the content services available on it do. Because of the tiny server pool, free VPNs tend to be unreliable when circumventing these blocks. For this reason, it’s best to subscribe to premium VPNs that have an extensive server roster and better geo-block bypassing capabilities.
Do free VPNs work with Firestick, Raspberry Pi, Android TV, Xbox, and other devices?
Most free VPNs for Kodi only work on major operating systems – Windows, iOS, macOS, and Android. If you want support for the devices listed above, you’ll have to subscribe to premium VPN services that offer it.