The Android TV Box is an external device you can use to transform a regular television into a full-fledged entertainment powerhouse. It comes in various shapes, supports services like Netflix, and can deliver video in 4K resolution. Plus, the device can be supplemented with a Virtual Private Network (or VPN) for Android TV Box to remedy a few drawbacks.
Specifically, streaming platforms on these boxes are geographically restricted, granting you a limited selection of movies and TV shows based on your location. Meanwhile, an Android TV Box VPN can change your location and unlock foreign content without much trouble.
Read on to learn which services are best suited for Android TV!
Best VPN for Android TV Box: shortlist
- the best VPN for Android TV Box9.7
- Extremely secure Android Box VPN9.3
- Cheapest VPN for Android TV Box9.1
- Versatile VPN for streaming on Android TV8.7
- Affordable and reliable Android TV Box VPN8.5
Can’t wait to unblock region-exclusive content on your Android TV Box? Follow our simple guide and access foreign TV shows and movies ASAP!
How to set up a VPN on Android TV box
Why do you need a VPN for Android TV Box?
Although the convenience of an Android TV box is an absolute marvel, the content-viewing services it supports are plagued by geo-blocking and other nuisances. Thankfully, installing a streaming VPN on the device is an easy task to perform. Here’s a rundown of the benefits you’ll receive after installing a VPN on Android TV.
- Access to geographically-restricted content. Customers primarily need a VPN to change their location and access exclusive foreign content. These exotic goods include websites, movies, TV shows, music, and video games.
- Privacy against surveillance. A virtual private network encrypts your online activities, rendering them unreadable to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and other lurkers on the web.
- Security against trackers, malicious ads, and malware. Secure VPNs provide much-needed extra features against various digital threats like viruses and ransomware. These days, such protection is needed every day, regardless of your online habits.
Unsurprisingly, this isn’t the full extent of perks you can get from the best VPN services on the market. But these are the essentials when picking a VPN for Android TV box.
Best VPNs for Android TV Box: overview
Issues with connection speeds are as old as the internet itself. And if you know how a VPN works, you’re rightfully concerned about speed loss. After all, you need unwavering download speed to stream HD video on your 4K monitor without buffering.
Luckily, it’s well-known what’s the secret sauce the fastest VPNs use to remain on top. Come closer, and I’ll tell you the ingredients. They are:
- Modern tunneling protocols, for example, WireGuard
- Loads of servers to support a huge number of users
- Self-owned servers for easy maintenance
However, that’s not everything we considered when picking these VPNs for Android Box. We also had to test how well these providers unblock popular streaming services. Continue reading to learn more about the 5 VPNs that made the cut.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Android TV Box
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest provider on the VPN market
- No-logs policy audited by a third party
- Compatible with many streaming platforms
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best VPN for Android TV Box. Customers can install it on the device in multiple ways and enjoy unparalleled connection speeds. Claim the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store and see for yourself.
Using NordLynx, a proprietary version of WireGuard, NordVPN achieves industry-leading speeds without skipping a beat in security. These are crucial when using the service with platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, and more. Plus, the network of 5500+ servers across 59+ countries grants access to a diverse selection of foreign content.
Besides Android TV, NordVPN is compatible with Amazon Fire TV Stick, desktop, and mobile devices. The service is jam-packed with tools for keeping your data in check. For example, Threat Protection keeps your escapades to the internet free from ads, trackers, and malware. On the other hand, Dark Web Monitor keeps a lookout for data leaks with your name on them.
Don’t spare any expense and acquire the best Android Box VPN for only $3.09/month. Use a NordVPN coupon code to enjoy the best possible discounts. And don’t worry; your purchase is secured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – extremely secure Android Box VPN
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited device connections
- Ultra-fast with WireGuard
- Packed with reliable features
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark VPN grants an excellent price-to-performance ratio for security and streaming enthusiasts alike. Whether you’re surfing the net or streaming on Android TV, this service won’t disappoint. Find out right now using the 7-day Surfshark trial.
This VPN uses a fully RAM-only fleet of 3200+ servers in 95+ countries to unlock exotic TV shows and encrypt your traffic. Moreover, the combination of Software Defined Networking and the WireGuard protocol guarantees blazing fast connectivity.
While you’re taking a break from Android TV, Surfshark can protect your online activities with features like CleanWeb. It removes ads and online trackers while the VPN is enabled. Meanwhile, NoBorders mode is needed for accessing the web in restrictive areas.
Unlock the full list of Surfshark VPN boons for only $2.21/month. And be sure to grab a valid Surfshark discount code to get the greatest discount possible.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN for Android TV Box
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Good free version
- Limitless simultaneous connections
- Fast, secure, and affordable
- No router firmware
Spent your entire allowance on your Android TV Box? Good thing budget-friendly VPNs like Atlas VPN exist! You can even use this provider if your budget is zero, thanks to the free version.
It should come as no surprise that the premium version of Atlas VPN works best with Android TV Box. That’s because it has 750+ servers in 37+ countries, streaming-optimized servers, and a dedicated Android TV app. Plus, the WireGuard protocol provides lag-free video while using Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming service.
Despite its low price, Atlas VPN is a heavy hitter in the security department. For starters, SafeSwap keeps stalkers off your trail by intermittently changing your IP address. Meanwhile, Tracker Blocker destroys digital trackers from profiling you. Lastly, Data Breach Monitor scours the web for any leaks with your associated email address.
Use the Atlas VPN free plan if you can’t afford the $1.83/month price tag. And don’t forget to use an Atlas VPN coupon code to get ridiculous savings when purchasing long-term plans. Best of all, all subscriptions include a 30-day money-back warranty.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. PrivateVPN – versatile VPN for streaming on Android TV
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Excellent geo-block circumvention
- Lacks WireGuard
Sometimes the best strategy for unblocking streaming content and staying undetected is using an under-the-radar provider. If you agree, consider using PrivateVPN.
PrivateVPN runs a tight-knit fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. And while the absence of WireGuard might be alarming to speed freaks, the service performs surprisingly well with OpenVPN. Furthermore, the inclusion of High Quality Network makes this VPN faster than average.
This provider stands out from the rest due to its excellent torrenting support. P2P traffic is permitted on all servers and can be further enhanced by enabling port forwarding. And if you’re on a network that restricts peer-to-peer sharing, try switching to Stealth VPN to mask your traffic.
Get a PrivateVPN deal and sign up for only $2.00/month. You can also take the service for a spin using the 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. PureVPN – affordable and reliable Android TV Box VPN
24/7 live chat
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Quantum-resistant encryption
- Some features cost extra
PureVPN is an excellent choice if you’re concerned about the distant future when quantum computers can decipher contemporary encryption standards. This VPN employs techniques to make its encryption quantum-resistant. However, this cutting-edge technology doesn’t impede the service’s streaming capabilities.
Users can select from over 6500 servers across 70+ countries. Additionally, crazy-fast connections are facilitated by combining WireGuard with 10 Gbps servers. Best of all, no one will know what you’re watching on Android TV because PureVPN is based in Hong Kong and adheres to an independently-audited no-logs policy.
PureVPN has exceptional device compatibility. For starters, it’s compatible with desktop computers (Windows, Mac Linux) and mobile devices (Android, iOS, Huawei). Furthermore, you can install it on Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, and browsers as an extension. And unlike other providers, it has a router applet for easy configuration.
Get the essential package by investing $1.99/month into this VPN. Be sure to apply a PureVPN discount code at checkout to get the best prices available. And if you’re not satisfied, remember about the 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
How we selected these VPNs for Android TV Box
Here’s an elaboration on what criteria influenced our decision-making process the most while compiling this list. Naturally, your priorities may differ when picking a VPN for Android Box.
- Device compatibility. The most important and obvious metric we couldn’t overlook was compatibility with Android TV. There are a few ways of setting up a VPN on Android Box, and providers with more options are given higher priority.
- Upload and download speed. It’s great when a VPN app is running in the background, yet you don’t notice it because of minimal speed loss. We used manual testing and our VPN speed test to pick the fastest possible VPNs for Android TV.
- Server number and variety. A large number of servers ensures good connectivity by reducing the likelihood of users overcrowding one server. Meanwhile, a diverse country selection unlocks more Netflix libraries and other streaming platforms.
- Security features. No one spends all their free time on Android TV. As such, we couldn’t overlook basic security features needed while browsing the web. I’m talking about tools for blocking ads, trackers, phishing attacks, and malware.
- Privacy practices. Don’t want anyone to know your favorite soap operas on Android TV? Ensure the VPN you’re using has a strict no-logs policy. You can be certain the provider isn’t storing excess data if it was audited by a third party and resides outside Five Eyes’ jurisdiction.
- Subscription price. You’re unlikely to find a good free VPN for Android TV (more on that later). However, the best options aren’t necessarily the most expensive ones either. We specifically picked options with affordable prices and VPN coupon code support for deal hunting.
- Customer support. You shouldn’t rely on your tech-savvy friends to help you with VPN setup on Android TV. Instead, you need a virtual private network provider with 24/7 customer support for assistance anytime.
Different methods to set up a VPN on an Android TV box
There are three ways to reap the benefits of a VPN on your Android TV:
- Install the VPN app directly on your Android TV Box from the Google Play Store
- Sideload the APK file manually
- Set up your home router with VPN firmware
The first option is, unsurprisingly, the best one. It’s simple and doable with all of our recommended VPNs for Android TV Box.
The second method is needed if, for some reason, your VPN provider is unavailable on the Google Play Store. Alternatively, you’re using a different OS on your Android TV (for example, Kodi) which doesn’t have a conventional app store.
The last method is an all-encompassing set-it-and-forget-it fix for your entire home network. It covers all web-connected devices in your household, including devices that don’t natively support VPN software.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to install a VPN on Android TV using the Google Play Store
- Pick a solid VPN service suitable for Android TV. Our top recommendation is NordVPN
- Boot up Android TV and visit the Google Play Store
- Search for the VPN app of your choice
- Install it on your device
- Launch the virtual private network and connect to any server
- Enjoy an unlimited selection of movies on Android TV!
How to sideload a VPN with an APK file on Android Box
- Choose a VPN service that provides customers with APK files. I’d go with NordVPN
- Download the APK file and upload it to a USB drive
- Turn on your Android TV and toggle on the Unknown Sources setting
- Plug in the USB drive to the Android TV Box
- Open the File Manager app and launch the APK setup from the USB stick
- Find the newly-installed VPN and connect to a server
- Watch exclusive foreign content using your Android Box!
How to install a VPN on a router
You can learn how to install a VPN on a router by reading our complete article. Meanwhile, here’s a quick introduction to the process.
- Sign up to a router-compatible VPN. We suggest NordVPN, the fastest VPN on the market
- Download the router configuration files from your provider
- Access your home router using a computer
- Install the VPN on your router following the instructions for your particular model
- Connect your Android TV to the reconfigured router network
- Stream exotic shows to your heart’s content!
VPN not working with Android Box
Although VPNs are awesome for curbing geo-blocks and restrictions, they don’t work flawlessly. That means you may need to do some tinkering yourself. Don’t worry, it’s fairly easy. Plus, you can always dial in customer service agents to make the process even easier. Here are a few things you can do if your VPN isn’t performing well.
- Connect to another server. Online services usually restrict VPN software by blocking known IP addresses. That means you simply need to connect to another server (aka, switch your IP address) and try again.
- Double-check your IP address. It could be that your VPN application appears to be running properly but isn’t doing anything. Check your IP address in the System Information menu on your Android TV.
- Try a different VPN setup on Android TV. If reinstalling your virtual private network doesn’t help, consider installing it differently.
- Contact customer service. If nothing works, try contacting the customer service of your VPN provider. They’ll let you know if the app is even capable of unblocking a particular streaming platform on Android TV.
Do we recommend a free VPN for Android TV Box?
There are multiple reasons why a free VPN for Android TV Box won’t satisfy your needs.
- No app for Android TV. Reliable free VPN services aren’t made for Android TV Box. Instead, they’re made for daily use on computers and mobile phones. Such apps only provide essential encryption and security features.
- No access to foreign content. Changing your Netflix region is much more complicated for VPN providers than you think. After all, not all VPNs are equally great for streaming. This is especially true with no-cost services, which don’t bother optimizing their app for streaming platforms.
- Slow connection speeds. Free VPNs run on paper-thin budgets and can’t maintain the necessary infrastructure for blazing-fast connections. That means no HD video content, even if your free VPN for Android TV Box manages to unlock foreign content.
- Subpar security features. Do you need protection against ads, trackers, and other malicious threats? Too bad because free VPNs don’t do that. In fact, some of the worst providers inject ads and malware into your system. Alternatively, they collect excess data about you and sell it since you’re not paying any subscription costs.
If you can afford an Android TV, then a VPN likely won’t break your bank. Besides, you can use VPN coupon codes to snag excellent deals on some of the best VPNs for Android Box. Best of all, many have free trials and money-back guarantees, granting you risk-free timeframes for testing.
Maximizing your home theater experience requires investing in a tested VPN for Android TV Box. It reliably unblocks extra content on streaming services you already have and keeps your online activities confidential. Plus, you can use the same VPN to protect all other web-connected devices that need extra security.
Which VPN do you use to unblock extra TV shows and movies on Android Box? Share your content-viewing tips with the rest of us!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Best VPN for LG Smart TVs
Best VPN for Roku
How to watch FuboTV online
How to watch Lord of the Rings online
How to watch American TV abroad
Can I use VPN on Android TV box?
Yes, you can use a VPN on Android TV Box for numerous purposes. Primarily, a VPN is used to change your IP address, virtual location, and grant access to exclusive foreign content. Furthermore, encryption makes your online activities unreadable to hackers and other snoopers, for example, your ISP.
Which is the best free VPN for Android TV box?
No free VPN is good enough for Android TV Box. Luckily, you can use the 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee of NordVPN to temporarily utilize its excellent service. But if we had to choose a truly no-cost option, we’d pick Atlas VPN as the best free VPN for Android TV Box.
How do I get a VPN on my Android box?
The best VPNs for Android Box are available on the Google Play Store. Therefore, you can conveniently download them to your Android TV without hassle. Alternatively, you can download an APK file from your provider and manually add it to your TV. Finally, installing a VPN on your home router will grant VPN benefits for your Android TV too.
Does NordVPN work on Android TV Box?
Yes, NordVPN is considered the best VPN for Android TV Box because it works practically flawlessly on the streaming device. All you have to do is download the app from the Google Play Store, connect to a server, and enjoy unblocked foreign content in UHD without stuttering.
Is it legal to use a VPN with an Android TV Box?
Yes, VPN use is legal practically everywhere, regardless of your intentions. However, some streaming services won’t work properly if a VPN connection is detected because these platforms have to comply with geographical distribution laws.