Doctor Who is a highly popular British science-fiction show that follows the adventures of a Time Lord known only as ‘The Doctor’ as he voyages through time and space with various companions. He meets different alien races, some of which are friendly and some of which are quite dangerous and deadly, and solves various problems along the way.
The show is produced by the BBC and has been running since 1963. It originally ran through to 1989 and then took a long hiatus, being revived by the BBC in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the role of the Doctor. Due to his status as a Time Lord, the Doctor has the power to die and ‘regenerate’ with a new physical form. This concept has allowed various actors to play the Doctor over the years.
The latest incarnation is played by Jodie Whittaker, who is the first ever female Doctor. The show has played a big role in British popular culture, with the Doctor’s famous TARDIS and enemies like the Daleks going down in history as iconic images. Many people around the world love to watch Doctor Who, and the latest season, which is the 11th of the new Doctor Who revival, was shown in 2018. The 12th season will air in 2020.
Watching Doctor Who online
Doctor Who airs in the United Kingdom on the BBC network of channels, but for all those fans outside the UK, watching Doctor Who is a little harder than simply turning on the TV for the latest episodes. In the United States, Doctor Who is available on the Amazon Prime Video streaming service.
Those in the UK can also make use of the BBC iPlayer streaming service, and people outside the UK can use VPNs to access these services too. If you’re interested in watching the older episodes of Doctor Who from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, you can find certain episodes on Hulu, and the BBC iPlayer does sometimes have classic episodes as well.
The reason why you can’t just access services like BBC iPlayer outside of the UK is due to copyright issues. These services make use of geo-blocking to prevent non-UK viewers from accessing the content. However, with the use of a VPN to hide your IP address and make it seem like you’re visiting the site from inside the UK, it can be a lot easier to watch Doctor Who online.
Solutions for watching Doctor Who online
There are several ways to watch Doctor Who online if you’re struggling to find the episodes you want:
- International TV channels: Doctor Who is a very popular science-fiction show, beloved by people all over the globe. Many of the various seasons and episodes are broadcast and repeated on different channels and networks.
- BBC iPlayer: The BBC iPlayer is the best way to watch Doctor Who online for UK users, while Amazon Prime Video is currently the easiest for US users. The iPlayer is free for all license-payers in the UK, while Amazon Prime requires a paid membership.
- VPNs: If you’re having any difficulty accessing Doctor Who seasons and episodes online, you can make use of a VPN. There are many different VPNs available, but they all essentially work the same way: they encrypt your internet connection and make use of different servers around the world to bypass geo-restrictions.
The best VPNs for watching Doctor Who online
If you’ve been searching for a way to watch Doctor Who online, using a VPN is a fine place to start. However, as we mentioned above, there are a lot of different VPNs out there. Some are far stronger, faster, and more effective than others, so you need to choose wisely.
Some also come with much lower subscription fees than others, so if you have a low budget and need an affordable VPN, you’ll need to shop around and compare deals. With that in mind, here are the best VPNS for watching Doctor Who online:
- VyprVPN: Known for super-fast speeds and quality streaming performance, VyprVPN is a solid option for accessing streaming services like BBC iPlayer to watch Doctor Who. This VPN makes use of a “Chameleon” feature to get past geo-blocking, and all of the servers used by VyprVPN are fully owned by the company, so it’s a very secure option too.
- ExpressVPN: Most VPN experts tend to agree that ExpressVPN is one of the best options in the VPN world today. ExpressVPN has a lot of servers based in the UK, so can offer super-fast streaming speeds for Doctor Who episodes on BBC iPlayer, letting you access the show as soon as it comes out in its homeland. Express VPN also features good mobile support and no buffering when watching movies and shows.
- NordVPN: Just like ExpressVPN, NordVPN has a whole lot of servers in the UK. In fact, to get specific, it has over 400 of them, so you’ve got a lot of options when it comes to watching British shows. NordVPN is also well-known for its many effective safety features like anti-DDoS, as well as useful features like the ability to have six encrypted connections running at any one time.
Check out our full list of Best VPNs for BBC iPlayer
Overall, installing a VPN and signing up for a membership with a company like NordVPN or ExpressVPN is a good way to get started. These services make it so easy to access the BBC iPlayer, so as soon as new Doctor Who episodes air in the UK, you’ll be able to watch them from the comfort of your own home, wherever you are.
Plus, a VPN also comes with the added bonuses of offering lots of additional protection to your devices and connection. By encrypting your internet connection and sending it through multiple servers around the world, a VPN can mask your internet activity, making it impossible for ISPs or agencies to track your browsing history. So not only is it a great way to watch your favorite shows online, it’s also helping to keep you safe.