Grab your tennis racket and immerse into one of the most anticipated sports events of the year – the Roland-Garros 2023 French Open. This year, the games start on Monday, 22nd May, and close on Sunday, 11th June. The sports event is free to stream on 9Now in Australia or ITV Hub in the UK.
However, there is one issue. If you’re located in the country where the tournament is geo-restricted, you won’t be able to watch the games. So, how to watch the French Open in that case? No worries. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is the prime solution for that. In short, it alters your public IP so you appear in a desired country. A few clicks and whoosh, problem solved.
|Watch the French Open without cable|
|Season starts||May 22, 2023|
|Season ends||June 11, 2023|
|Free streaming services||9Now (AU), ITV Hub (UK)|
|Watch from anywhere||NordVPN, now 69% off|
How to watch the French Open online with a VPN
Best VPN to stream the French Open: shortlist
- Unparalleled best VPN for French Open9.6
- French Open VPN with top-notch security9.3
- Affordable & functional VPN for French Open9.0
Why do you need a VPN to watch the French Open?
Here’s the scoop: when it comes to broadcasting major sporting events like the French Open, it all comes down to broadcasters. In a nutshell, television channels, streaming services, and broadcasters have the exclusive rights through licensing agreements. Due to distribution rights and censorship laws, they tend to restrict certain content, like the French Open tourney.
So, if you attempt to watch the French Open online from an unsupported country, it won’t work. You’ll be greeted with an annoying error message stating that the channel is not available in your area. This pesky limitation is known as geo-restriction. Fortunately, there is a way to bypass it and enjoy the French Open wherever you are: by using a reliable VPN service.
You can instantly conceal your IP address by setting up a VPN on your device. First, you get to choose a different server located in a supported location, like Australia. Voilà! All Australian websites will perceive your IP address as being in the land of kangaroos. This clever trickery grants you access to their services and content, including the French Open.
Best VPNs to watch the French Open live: overview
- NordVPN – Overall top French Open VPN with high-end protection measures
- Surfshark VPN – A budget-friendly & reliable VPN for watching the French Open
- Atlas VPN – A French Open tennis VPN service with streaming-optimized servers
Unblocking the French Open tennis online is no easy feat. The service must be exceptional at geo-blocks and maintain enough horsepower to support a seamless viewing experience. Thus, we picked only the best VPN for streaming sports that’ll let you enjoy the tournament from anywhere without lag or buffering. Game, set, match!
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for watching the French Open online
24/7 live chat, Email
- Exemplary streaming performance
- Compatible with multiple devices
- Super fast & secure NordLynx protocol
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the champion of VPNs for streaming the French Open tennis online. Well, let’s start with its impressive network of 5800+ RAM-only servers spread across 60 countries. With such a vast infrastructure, you can expect top-notch connectivity from virtually anywhere on the globe. Meanwhile, with the proprietary NordLynx protocol, you can kiss annoying lags goodbye. As such, streaming in glorious UHD is a doddle.
Furthermore, NordVPN is a true game-changer when it comes to unlocking content. The service supports all leading streaming platforms and devices. Windows, iOS, FireStick, Apple TV – all are covered. And thanks to the nifty SmartPlay feature, you can bypass those annoying geo-blocks even on devices that don’t support VPN software natively. While only 6 simultaneous connections are available, setting VPN up on a router covers all household gadgets.
All this is yours for a fantastic offer: 69% off + 3 months free. Or you can rummage through NordVPN discount coupons for more deals. The free 7-day trial from the Google Play Store allows you to dip your toes into the service commitment-free. Plus, they’ve got your back with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – a potent French Open VPN with top speeds
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Robust online protection
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark is another excellent VPN for streaming the French Open without cable. The service houses a colossal network of 3200+ RAM-only servers in 100+ countries, boasting a broad global distribution. On top of that, the VPN connection operates on the next-gen WireGuard. With all that in mind, you get stellar UHD streaming performance along with a blazing web connection.
The VPN is famous for effectively combating geographical restrictions by some of the most popular streaming services. Surfshark’s compatible with various streaming peripherals, such as Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Kodi. If you wish to watch the tourney on a device unsupported by VPN, the SmartDNS feature solves it. Naturally, it all gets tenfold better with unlimited simultaneous connections.
You’re more than welcome to snag this sporty VPN at a discount of 80%, topped up by extra 3 free months. Still, Surfshark discount coupons are at your disposal. If you wish to dip your toes in before delving into the service, be sure to utilize the 7-day free trial & 30-day money-return warranty.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – an affordable VPN with dedicated streaming servers
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Versatile features
- Blazing speed with WireGuard
- No device limit
- No router support
Atlas VPN is a streaming-oriented VPN that’s more than solid for watching the French Open. The service sports an extensive fleet of 1000+ servers spanning 49+ countries. What’s more, numerous servers are optimized for streaming, guaranteeing a buffer-free experience. If you still doubt it, Atlas VPN runs on the latest WireGuard protocol for a speedy and stable connection.
Moving forward, this VPN is perfect for unblocking other video platforms apart from those that stream the French Open without cable. Moreover, Atlas VPN is compatible with all major operating systems and devices, from Android & iOS to Amazon FireStick. However, the drawback is the lack of router support. Luckily, it’s compensated for with no device limit.
Dubbed one of the cheapest VPNs, the service further lowers its price tag by offering a chintzy 86% + 3 months deal. Besides, there’s a whole load of AtlasVPN discount coupons, awaiting your inspection. As for the curious cats, the provider grants a 30-day cash-back warranty with no commitment.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How we tested VPNs to watch the French Open tennis online
Servers where you can watch the French Open tennis online for free (Australia, the UK, France, and a few more) was an obvious consideration. However, we also assessed other criteria that make for the best VPN for streaming.
- Optimal performance. We tested our picks and made sure they secure buffer-free streaming. You can tinker with the VPN speed test tool to compare them for yourself.
- Expansive global coverage. Some IPs get blacklisted, and some – congested. You need a VPN with a broad global network to avoid both and successfully circumvent geo-blocks.
- Device compatibility. Sports fans watch the French Open live on various devices. To keep your options open, we recommended providers with extensive device compatibility. Alternatively, you can install the VPN on a router and cover the entire home network.
- High-end security & privacy. Apart from AES-256 encryption, a VPN should include a powerful kill switch and leak protection. The service itself should respect your data, so we picked only the best no-logs VPNs.
NordVPN ticked all the checkboxes as the best VPN for watching the French Open from anywhere. The service covers loads of ground with the colossal server network. The icing on the cake is the renowned NordLynx protocol that guarantees UHD buffer-free French Open games wherever you are.
Stream the French Open from anywhere without compromising your security or the viewing experience. Thanks to the nimble NordLynx protocol, you can enjoy the games in UHD. Moreover, robust security measures guarantee a private and protected streaming session. Grab NordVPN, a drink, and see who wins the tennis games this year!
Where to watch the French Open without cable
If you’re wondering where to watch the French Open online, we compiled a list of both free and paid streaming platforms. As you can see, they are usually available in just one country, which limits availability quite severely. With that in mind, a VPN is a necessity to bypass geo-blocks and watch the French Open tournament outside of these areas.
Here is a list of free streaming services to watch the French Open live:
|NBC Sports||United States|
|ITV Hub||United Kingdom|
Here is a list of paid streaming services to watch the French Open without cable:
|Streaming platform||Price||Free trial||Availability|
|Sling TV||$40.00||First month at half price||United States|
|Peacock Premium||From $4.99||7-day trial||United States|
|fuboTV||$74.99||7-day trial||United States|
|Hulu + Live TV||From $7.99||No||United States|
|YouTube TV||$72.99||For new users, duration varies||United States|
|Eurosport Player||£6.99||7-day trial||European Union|
|Discovery Plus||£6.99||7-day trial||United Kingdom|
How to watch the French Open from your country
Though popular on a global scale, the French Open will be broadcasted only on a limited number of streaming platforms. The latter are geographically restricted to specific countries, which leave scarce options for fans outside of them.
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN service. Our top recommendation is NordVPN
- Download and install the VPN client on your sport-streaming device
- Connect to a server where the French Open is available (e.g., US, UK, or Canada)
- Navigate to a streaming service app or website that broadcasts the games
- Sign in or create an account on the chosen streaming platform
- Complete the sign-up process, log in, and enjoy the best tennis matches!
How to watch the French Open in the USA
Folk in the United States have the most options for streaming the French Open. You can watch the games for free on NBC Sports. Regarding premium streaming services, you can tune into Peacock ($4.99/month), Sling TV ($40.00/month), fuboTV ($74.99/month), YouTube TV ($72.99/month), and Hulu Live TV ($7.99/month).
Simply connect to a US server via a VPN client to watch the French Open in the USA though you’re currently not there.
How to watch the French Open in Canada
Canadians who want to watch the French Open without cable can opt for two streaming services in total. TSN ($19.99/month) and RDS ($24.99/month) are premium platforms that broadcast the content only in this country. However, it’s a wee problem with a VPN in tow. Connect to a server with Canadian IP, subscribe to the streaming platform, and enjoy the event.
How to watch the French Open in the UK
Fans in the UK have two options when it comes to broadcasting the French Open online. Basically, you can watch for free on ITV Hub or opt for a paid subscription on Discovery Plus (£6.99 or $8.69 per month). Either way, if you’re an expat outside the UK or don’t live there, your best shot is connecting to a UK VPN server. Then sign into the streaming service and done.
How to watch the French Open in the EU
Wanting to watch the French Open live in the EU leaves you with two available streaming services. First is Eurosport Player ($8.69/month), which includes EU countries. The second option is only for French users – France.TV, and it’s free. Either way, start a VPN, connect to any EU or French server, and tune into the tennis matches without any hassle.
How to watch the French Open in Australia
Lads and lassies from the country down under can watch the French Open without cable on 9now and SBS websites completely free. So, if you’re not an Australian but feel lured by the free service, you just need a reliable VPN. With the service connect to an Australian server, log into the 9now, and stream the French Open to your heart’s content.
How to watch the French Open on different devices
Whether you can stream the French Open on your device depends on the broadcasters and compatibility with the chosen streaming service. Luckily, VPNs can also be installed on many peripherals used for watching sports. We prepared a few guides to navigate the step-by-step procedures.
Watch the French Open on PC (Windows & macOS)
- Get a VPN with a streamlined app for PC. Our top choice is NordVPN for advanced PC functionality
- Download and install the VPN client on the computer
- Connect to a server in a country where your chosen streaming platform is available
- Log in to the streaming platform or create an account
- Watch the French Open live without any worries!
Watch the French Open on mobile (Android & iOS)
- Get a VPN from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. We recommend NordVPN for its clean interface
- Download and install the VPN app on your Android or iOS
- Connect to a VPN server where a streaming platform is available
- Sign up or log in to the streaming platform
- Stream the French Open games hassle-free!
How to watch the French Open on streaming devices
As for other streaming devices, you can set up a VPN on your router. It’s handy because then you can watch the French Open live on devices like Kodi, Apple TV, Firestick, etc. For that reason we picked recommendations that do support a majority of router models. Here’s a detailed guide for setting up VPN on your router.
- Subscribe to a VPN that’s supported on your router or other streaming devices. Our top pick is NordVPN, which supports many routers
- Install the VPN on your home router or another streaming device
- Connect to a server where the chosen streaming platform is available
- Connect the streaming device to the newly-secured internet network
- Navigate to the French Open streaming website or application
- Install an application or access a website to log in or register a new account
- Enjoy the best moments from this year’s French Open matches!
Can’t watch the French Open online with a VPN: solutions
You followed all the provided steps, and in the moment of truth, you still encountered an error message. Unfortunately, there are cases when even the most robust VPN experiences hiccups. That, however, doesn’t deem the service inoperative. Here’s why the service might not be working and counter solutions for them:
- Try a different server. Probably the oldest trick in the tech book, but works a charm way too often. In short, you may have landed on a blacklisted or overcrowded server. That halts your attempt to bypass geo-blocks. So be sure to try several different servers.
- Update or reinstall the app. Running the previous version is not good for any kind of software, especially a VPN, since it must be constantly refreshed. So, make sure your app is up-to-date. If it is, try reinstalling it altogether. Often it solves any corrupted file or data issues.
- Check for IP & DNS leaks. Reliable websites like ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com can show you whether your data is leaking or not. Basically, if it is, then the streaming service sees your real location and thus recognizes VPN usage. In case the leaks are confirmed, reset internet connection and optionally flush your DNS cache.
- Enable Stealth features. Could be that for several reasons French Open streaming services are detecting VPN activity. In that case, opt for Stealth VPN features if the provider has those.
- Clear browser cache. Web cookies store loads of user data, which also includes your real location. That data may cross with VPN attempts to conceal your IP, which nullifies the whole effort. Plus, Incognito Mode is really quite ineffective. Clear your browser cache and start over with a clean slate.
- Reinstall TAP drivers. In case you tried installing several VPN services on your router, it’s likely that the TAP drivers got corrupted. Try reinstalling them so they can work afresh.
If all fails or you’re not up for all these steps, no worries. Our top recommendations have 24/7 life chat customer support, whose specialists are glad to help you out.
How to watch the French Open tennis live for free
If you’re wondering how to watch the French Open for free, then we have a few pieces of advice. First of all, there are several streaming services that broadcast the tennis tournament free of charge:
However, you can probably already see the issue. Those services are geographically restricted to their respective countries. Otherwise, you will only face an error message trying to stream on them outside the respective locations. Unless, of course, you decide to opt for a VPN to circumvent these pesky geo-blocks.
That poses another question: how can I watch the French Open for free with a VPN? While there are a few solid freemium VPN services, we recommend abstaining from them. In short, free software is underdeveloped, thus incapable of bypassing geographical restrictions. In the same vein, free VPNs are typically unable to support streaming.
Apart from that, there are numerous reported cases of freebies secretly collecting user data and selling it to third parties. Some devs go even as far as infusing the VPN app with malware. It’s unfortunate that a cybersecurity service poses a digital threat instead of protecting its users.
But there is an option. You can utilize the premium VPNs with a free trial. That way, you get full-fledged security, buffer-free streaming, and most importantly, access to the French Open streaming sites. Besides, our picked providers offer a 30-day money-return guarantee to let you test the service without commitment.
French Open 2023 schedule
The 2023 Roland Garros schedule is already set up, so you can properly estimate which rounds you wish to watch and which not. However, remember that all times are local (Central European Summer Time).
|Sunday, May 28||11:00 AM||First round|
|Monday, May 29||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||First round|
|Tuesday, May 30||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||First round|
|Wednesday, May 31||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Second round|
|Thursday, June 1||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Second round|
|Friday, June 2||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Third round|
|Saturday, June 3||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Third round|
|Sunday, June 4||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Fourth round|
|Monday, June 5||11:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Fourth round|
|Tuesday, June 6||12:00 AM & 5:00 PM||Quarterfinals|
|Wednesday, June 7||12:00 AM & 9:00 PM||Quarterfinals|
|Thursday, June 8||2:00 PM||Semifinals|
|Friday, June 9||3:00 PM||Semifinals|
|Saturday, June 10||3:00 PM||Women’s Singles Final,|
Men’s Doubles Final
|Sunday, June 11||3:00 PM||Men’s Singles Final|
The Roland Garros tennis tournament is one of the most anticipated annual sports events. However, the streaming services that broadcast the games limit fan options severely. Due to distribution rights, the tournament is broadcasted only in countries like the US, UK, or Australia. So, how to watch the French Open? By getting a reliable VPN to bypass the absurd geo-blocks.
NordVPN is the #1 tool for watching the French Open online from anywhere. On top of circumventing geo-blocks easily, the service also secures a lag-free viewing experience. Meanwhile, the high-end protection measures also allow you to stream securely and privately.
What do you think is the best VPN for the French Open? Who are you cheering for this year? Let us know in the comments!
You may also like to read:
How to watch F1 TV Pro
How to watch the Ashes online
How to watch Premier League
How to watch Champions League
How to watch NBA games online
How to watch Super Bowl
How to stream Copa Libertadores
Where can I watch the French Open 2023 live?
You can watch the French Open on several streaming services and channels. The former include Sling TV, Peacock, 9Now, Eurosport, ITV Hub, France TV, Hulu Live TV, just to name a few. A top-grade VPN, such as NordVPN, can bypass geo-blocks and grant you access to these streaming platforms from anywhere.
How can I watch the French Open online for free?
You can watch the French Open for free on several streaming services. In the US you can watch the French Open for free on NBC Sports, on ITV Hub in the UK, on 9Now in Australia, and on France.TV. Outside these locations, reliable VPNs with free services and cash-back guarantee unlock access to the games.
What TV channel is showing the French Open tennis?
The French Open games are televized in several countries on a variety of channels. The most popular options are Eurosport, NBC, ESPN, and Fox Sports. Though they are available in their respective countries, you can bypass these restrictions with a robust VPN.
Can I watch the French Open on Amazon Prime?
Yes, you can watch the French Open on Amazon Prime Video. However, you’ll need a Discovery+ extra to top up your Prime subscription. Since Prime usually only houses recorded content, you can watch French Open on Amazon Prime because the Discovery+ extra unblocks livestream Eurosport’s broadcast content.
Is the French Open on Peacock free?
Yes, the French Open is available for free on Peacock. However, that’s because the service grants a 7-day free trial. After that, if you want to save pennies, you can watch the games on free services like 9Now or NBC Sports thanks to a VPN. A solid option like NordVPN will unlock any geo-blocks.