Our mobile devices have become indispensable companions, providing everything we need, from entertainment to work, wherever we go. Thus, anyone respecting their own privacy should take up specific security measures. A reliable mobile VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a prime solution for safeguarding your online presence from cyber threats.
A VPN for mobile offers several benefits, including enhanced anonymity while browsing, protection against targeted advertising, and access to endless streaming content from around the world. However, with app stores overflowing with unreliable imitations and top-notch mobile VPNs simultaneously, conducting thorough research beforehand is crucial.
After extensively evaluating numerous mobile VPN apps, we narrowed the selection to the top five. The assessment criteria involved streamlined apps for phones, a high-end security package, a substantial server network, and more. All you have to do is read onward and choose the best that suits your needs.
The best Mobile VPN apps: shortlist
- Ultimate VPN for mobile devices9.7
- Superlative phone VPN with unlimited connections9.5
- Frugal and versatile VPN for mobile9.0
- Media-oriented VPN for phones8.8
- Mobile VPN with focus on privacy8.5
How to choose the best mobile VPN?
App stores are overloaded with mobile VPNs, some premier solutions, while some are disappointing mimicries of premium counterparts. How to navigate these baffling tech waters, then? There are certain aspects to watch out for when choosing the best VPN for mobile. Here are the essential ones:
- Streamlined mobile app. One of the most crucial points is to choose a well-developed VPN for your iOS or Android device. Often mobile apps have fewer features or poorer functionality than PC versions, so ensure your chosen service offers a streamlined mobile VPN.
- Security & privacy. A robust VPN must effectively protect your online data and device from third parties or malware. Hence the service must have industry-leading security tools. In the same vein, an independently-audited no-logs policy is a must-have, so you can trust the service to respect your data.
- Broad global coverage. Having thousands of servers scattered across dozens of countries guarantees faster VPN connections and more opportunities for folks to access exclusive content globally.
- Stellar performance. Performance-wise, a VPN must have the latest tunneling protocols to provide a fast and stable connection. That way, you can stream, game, or do other demanding tasks without experiencing drops in speed.
- Device compatibility. While the primary focus is mobile compatibility, keeping your options open and choosing a versatile VPN for devices is advisable. You may want to stream geo-blocked content on a smart TV or decide that your PC also needs data protection.
- Money-and-value ratio. No VPN service should cost an arm and a leg. So, we chose mobile VPNs that offer optimal pricing for the value they deliver.
Best VPN for Mobile 2024
- NordVPN – the best mobile VPN for Android & iOS
- Surfshark VPN – excellent and budget-friendly VPN for mobile
- Atlas VPN – solid phone VPN with streaming-optimized servers
- ExpressVPN – high-end security VPN for mobile devices
- CyberGhost – privacy-oriented VPN for phones
We assessed 31 VPNs based on each essential criterion: device compatibility, server network, streaming capabilities, tunneling protocols, security features, privacy measures, and more. Ultimately, our rigorous testing resulted in the Top 5 recommendations for the best mobile VPNs.
1. NordVPN – all-time best VPN for mobile devices
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fully developed and maintained mobile applications
- Blazing-fast thanks to NordLynx
- Reliable kill switch
- No split tunneling on iOS
NordVPN is the best VPN for mobile users. Whether you use Android or iOS devices, the service provides full-fledged security for online ventures. The world-class VPN sports an expansive network of 6000+ servers in 61 countries. On top of that, the connections are optimized by the NordLynx protocol, which prioritizes speed without compromising stability.
The main drawback is that iOS users have fewer tools, such as split tunneling. Apart from that, both Android and iOS users get an intuitive mobile VPN app. Thanks to it, choosing the fastest servers with a simple tap is perfect for mobile streamers seeking reliable and swift connections. Moreover, NordVPN is a sturdy VPN for Netflix, accessing US, UK, Canadian, Australian, and Japanese libraries. It also unblocks other leading streaming platforms, like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
But the benefits don’t stop there. With NordVPN, your personal information remains shielded from prying eyes. Similarly, in-built ad blocker Threat Protection Lite prevents ads and trackers, enhancing data protection. Also, the provider offers security features rarely seen in mobile VPNs. For anonymous browsing, you get Onion over VPN, while Double VPN routes your web traffic via two servers simultaneously.
NordVPN comes with a mind-boggling deal: 67% off + 3 months free. Hardly can it get better than this, but you’re welcome to try your luck ransacking NordVPN coupons. On the other hand, the service also has curious cats covered. The 7-day free trial (Android) and the 30-day money-back guarantee allow you to test the service before committing.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – bargain phone VPN with advanced tools
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Beginner-friendly apps for iOS & Android
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Stellar performance with WireGuard
- Fewer features on iOS
Surfshark is one of the best mobile VPNs. While the apps for iOS and Android aren’t as in-depth as other competitors’, their simplicity and effectiveness is a charm in its own right. Starting strong, the provider nets a massive network of 3200+ servers in 100 countries. This broad global coverage allows you to unblock exclusive content anywhere, basically. And, all the while, the VPN connection speed is facilitated by the next-gen WireGuard protocol.
The mobile VPN variation is nearly indistinguishable from the easy-to-use desktop client and includes essential features. Though their apps don’t offer much to tinker with customization-wise, they make use quick. To stream buffer-free on your phone, you just need to connect to the fastest server with a tap. Luckily, Surfshak unblocks all primary streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, and others.
Unlike other mobile VPN apps, Surfshark includes built-in GPS spoofing. In short, If someone tries to track down your location, it will report your VPN servers’ coordinates. Security-wise, you get a robust kill switch, ad & malware blocker CleanWeb. The shining stars are Camouflage and NoBorders modes that help bypass restrictions in surveillance-loving countries like China or Iran.
Currently, Surfshark is alluring folks with its 79% + 2 months free deal, which makes this already cheap VPN even more of a bargain. Still, a discount coupon might just offer you more. As for testing the waters before diving headlong into it, the 7-day free trial (Android & iOS) and the 30-day money-back guarantee got your back.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – linear mobile VPN with streaming-optimized servers
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Simplistic mobile app
- Superb speed fuelled by WireGuard
- SafeBrowse removes ads
- No split tunneling on iOS
Atlas VPN is one of the most optimal solutions among VPNs for mobile devices. The service offers a functional app with a relatively simple interface. More so, it provides substantial global distribution, covering 1000+ servers across 49 countries. Numerous servers are streaming-dedicated, which you connect to separately. And you can expect the VPN connection to retain initial speeds thanks to the WireGuard protocol.
Like its PC counterpart, the mobile app for Android and iOS utilizes a linear, easy-to-use interface. You can connect to any server, streaming or not, with just a few clicks. Navigating settings is quick and intuitive as well. Meanwhile, powered by streaming-oriented servers, you can unblock any leading platform to enjoy the best content on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and the list goes on.
Mobile cybernauts can freely venture through the webspace thanks to robust security features. Though the iOS app has fewer features, like split tunneling, both variations are free to revel in ad-free browsing with the SafeBrowse ad blocker. In the meantime, advanced tools like MultiHop+ make you virtually untraceable. It allows you to connect to and route the web traffic through several servers simultaneously for fortified encryption.
You can snatch the provider’s chintzy deal, which offers 86% off along with 3 months free. Naturally, scour Atlas VPN coupons to ensure you’re not missing out on even better deals. While the free version is relatively solid, mobile users would benefit more from the premium service. The latter is available commitment-free during the 7-day free trial (Android) & 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – intuitive VPN for mobile with top-notch security
24/7 live chat, email
- Functional apps for iOS & Android
- Reliable kill switch
- Sky-high performance with Lightway
ExpressVPN is one of the top-tier mobile VPN services. The reputation comes from many benefits. Namely, the apps for both operating systems are crystal clear regarding usage. It’s linear, easy to navigate, and customizable. Furthermore, your options are kept open with the fleet of several thousand servers in 105 countries. All the while, the VPN connection keeps blazing with the proprietary Lightway in tow.
However, the main drawback is that ExpressVPN hurts its iOS users due to Apple policies. The iOS app has fewer features than the Android counterpart: no kill switch, no shortcuts feature, and no split tunneling. On the bright side, both apps can relish the fierce streaming unblocking prowess of the VPN. It supports major streaming platforms, so bingeing your favorite shows on Netflix or Hulu is guaranteed.
Android users are luckier security-wise as they get a couple more tools, like the reliable kill switch. On the other hand, iOS brings Threat Manager, which effectively removes adware, thus saving mobile data. There are several features that both Android and iOS users can utilize. Namely, ExpressVPN Keys is a password-managing feature, and Stealth VPN is here if you need to bypass heavily-censored blocks.
It’s a bit of a shame that ExpressVPN is on the pricier side. However, it does deliver a valuable VPN experience. Either way, you can snatch the 49% + 3 months free deal, which could hardly be bested even by discount coupons. The 30-day money-back guarantee covers the needs of the cautious that want to see what the service is about before committing.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – high-value mobile VPN for gaming & streaming
24/7 live chat
- Decent mobile apps for Android & iOS
- Specialty servers for streaming
- Top speeds thanks to WireGuard
- No kill switch on iOS apps
CyberGhost is a superb mobile VPN if your top priority is privacy. Interface-wise, both iOS and Android users can enjoy visually pleasing and beginner-friendly apps. Like all VPN cases, iOS gets fewer features but retains solid functionality overall. On the flip side, the service houses a colossal network of 10218+ servers in 100 countries. No server is going to be slow with speedy WireGuard in its arsenal.
The gold nugget of CyberGhost service is its gaming-dedicated servers and streaming-oriented functionality. The VPN can keep up with online games and secure a UHD buffer-free viewing experience. It’s further enhanced by CyberGhost successfully unblocking leading streaming platforms, namely Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, and others.
While the Android app is better equipped, both apps have much to offer in the security department. The service boasts NoSpy servers, which are located in Romania and are managed only by the staff. It adds extra security and privacy since no third parties have access to these servers. Furthermore, Content Blocker removes pesky mobile ads, improving battery life and decreasing data usage.
One of the cheapest VPNs in the market can be yours for 83% off along with 3 extra months free. Remember that you can also browse the CyberGhost discount coupons lest you discover a better bargain. As for the testing opportunities, you can utilize the longest money-back guarantee, spanning 45 days.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
Best Mobile VPNs comparison
|Independently-audited no-logs policy
|Independently-audited no-logs policy
|Stern no-logs policy
|Court-proven, independently-audited no-logs
|Independently-audited no-logs policy
|Unblocks streaming services
|Threat Protection, Double VPN, Tor Over VPN, Dark Web Monitoring, obfuscated servers
|CleanWeb, MultiHop, Bypasser, NoBorders modes, GPS spoofing, Camouflage and NoBorders modes
|SafeBrowse, SafeSwap servers, MultiHop+, Data Breach Monitor
|Threat Manager, Stealth VPN, ExpressVPN Keys, TrustedServer
|App rules, Smart rules, Exceptions, NoSpy servers, ID Guard Monitoring
|Google Play Store ratings
|Apple App Store ratings
How we selected and tested the best phone VPNs
It’s easy to download any first VPN that the app store recommends. However, like with any service, a VPN functionality involves a plethora of criteria to render it high quality and worth the money. Thus, we thoroughly assessed 31 services based on aspects that make VPNs cybersecurity tools designed for online safety and entertainment uses:
- Mobile functionality. VPN for mobile devices must offer streamlined apps. For this reason, we prioritized those mobile apps that provided advanced functionality and interface.
- Server fleet. The greater the server network, the less chance of landing a congested server. Besides, expansive global coverage grants more access to exclusive content worldwide.
- Geo-block circumvention. One of the heftiest VPN perks is removing geographical restrictions. So, we tested whether providers succeeded in bypassing geo-blocks to access streaming services, online games, and various other websites.
- Optimal performance. A worthy service must operate on the latest tunneling protocols to secure the fastest and most stable VPN connection. It’s especially crucial for demanding tasks like streaming. While up to 30% drops in speed are expected with a VPN, our top selections employ WireGuard or alternatives built around it to retain initial speed rates.
- High-end security. Streaming and online gaming buffer-free is all dandy. Still, it’s best not to worry about safety while venturing online. Consequently, we paid attention to the security packages of each mobile VPN and how they perform in reality. We chose only the most trustworthy, from the best no-logs services to obfuscated servers.
- User reviews. Users’ voices are loud and clear, and it’s foolish to ignore it. As we tested and evaluated, inspecting user reviews was part of the assessment process to see what folks praise and what frustrates them about each VPN.
- Pricing. No VPN service should cost a fortune, so the money-and-value ratio guided our selection procedure all the way through. Ultimately, we picked the most optimal deals.
NordVPN is a world-class VPN that runs outstanding applications for Android & iOS users. Thanks to the blazing NordLynx, you can play online games or stream Netflix without hindered speeds. While this VPN enriches your media experiences, it also shields your phone from cyber threats lurking behind every corner. Take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee and let NordVPN charm you away!
Why do you need a VPN for your mobile?
The benefits of using a VPN on your mobile are numerous. First and foremost, the service protects your online identity from the eyes of third parties, some of which are nefarious. Besides, our recommended VPNs have in-built ad blockers that disable trackers to prevent targeted ads. That way, your data remains safeguarded from all parties wanting to dapple in it without your consent.
Apart from anonymity, you can browse safely, knowing your device is protected from malware. Though a VPN doesn’t offer as well-rounded protection as an antivirus regarding malicious content, it is definitely sufficient. Typically, the service prevents interaction with malicious sites. Meanwhile, the industry-standard AES-256 encryption keeps you safe from dodgy hackers. It also prevents your ISP (Internet Service Provider) from throttling your bandwidth.
One of the most notable benefits is the ability to overcome geographical restrictions. Mobile streamers may often find one or another streaming platform out of their reach just because it’s not available in their area. Connecting to a VPN server in that region quickly solves this issue. A few taps and voila, you can access the Netflix US library even though you’re in Argentina.
In the same vein, changing your location thanks to VPN can get you lower prices when shopping online. It’s quite a common practice among service users to acquire cheaper flight tickets and use other local deals to save a penny or two. Moreover, suppose you’re a fan of streaming services and other media-based subscriptions. In that case, it’s an effective way to get Netflix, Spotify, or YouTube Premium cheaper.
How to set up NordVPN on mobile
Thanks to NordVPN’s simplistic and intuitive design, setting up the VPN on your mobile is a breeze.
Here’s a guide on how to do it:
- Go to your app store and search for NordVPN
- Download the app to your phone and install it
- Launch the app and log into your account or register a new one simply in the app
- (Optional) delete cache files and disable GPS
- Connect to a server in a desired location, double check whether wanted features are enabled
- Enjoy all the perks brought about by the high-class service!
Is it safe to use a mobile VPN?
Yes, it’s absolutely safe to use a mobile VPN. Actually, it’s really encouraged to opt for the service due to robust security and anonymity. Whether browsing social media, streaming, sending emails, or messaging colleagues – we want to do everything without worrying about cyber threats. Well, a reliable VPN service covers the bases and even goes the extra mile.
A VPN, first and foremost, conceals your activities thanks to impenetrable encryption, so even your ISP can’t tell what you’re up to. Moreover, if you choose an advanced provider, you’ll be shielded from spyware, phishing attempts, and other cyber attacks. However, do keep in mind that only trusted premium software like NordVPN can guarantee online protection and not free VPNs.
Do we recommend using a free VPN for mobile?
In brief, we don’t recommend free VPN for mobile. Free services typically come with potential risks and do more harm than good. Of course, we must concede that there are definitely a few good free VPNs for mobile phones, though not many. Finding one is like looking for a needle in a haystack. One of the top freebies is Atlas VPN, which offers a 5 GB data cap and covers basic needs.
Here are the main drawbacks of using a free VPN for mobile:
- Tiny data cap. Free services come with a data cap (500 MB to 15 GB), which is usually enough only for several lengthier YouTube videos. So, it severely limits the options.
- Insufficient server network. Typically you get no more than 50+ servers in only several different locations, which means they’re potentially clogged with other users. Hence you get slow speeds or a dysfunctional server.
- Limited performance. Free versions of premium services come with WireGuard, which keeps up a relatively good performance. Unfortunately, that’s not common among freebies. Even if they operated on advanced tunneling protocols, too small server networks bring the whole performance down dramatically.
- Data sabotaging. Free VPNs for mobile phones usually earn income from gathering user data secretly and then selling it to third parties. It’s a nefarious business that beats the whole purpose of a VPN service.
You’d never experience such issues with paid subscriptions. On the other hand, if you’re budget-conscious, a full-fledged VPN experience isn’t out of reach. High-tech premium VPNs with free trials grant all the benefits of paid service free of charge, albeit for a limited time. For one, NordVPN is the best mobile VPN, which offers a 7-day free trial on Android and a trusted 30-day money-back guarantee.
Mobile phones are part of us. We use them to look up things, communicate, entertain ourselves, make online purchases, and work. All the while, we are susceptible to cyber threats, and our sensitive information is exposed. Luckily, a reliable VPN service can protect us in the digital realm of smartphones.
NordVPN is the best mobile VPN, offering a well-rounded experience for Android and iOS users. The NordLynx protocol keeps your gaming and streaming sessions fast. Meanwhile, protective measures like Threat Protection or Double VPN lay any worries to rest. The cherry on top is the streamlined mobile apps, offering a pleasing and intuitive experience.
What do you think is the best VPN for mobile devices? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Should you use VPN on mobile?
Yes, you should use a VPN on mobile to maintain security and confidentiality online. The best VPN service for mobile devices is NordVPN, which offers streamlined apps for both Android and iOS. The NordLynx protocol facilitates sky-high speeds, while a robust security package safeguards your data.
What VPN does in mobile?
A reliable VPN protects your data and device on mobile, bypasses geo-blocks, and deals with bandwidth throttling. However, to enjoy all the benefits of the service, you must pick a top-tier VPN. The best VPN for mobile is NordVPN due to its well-rounded smartphone functionality on Android & iOS.
What is the best VPN to use on my phone?
The best VPN for mobile devices is NordVPN. The software is equipped with high-end security measures, such as ad-blocking Threat Protection and a reliable kill switch. Mobile streamers can unblock all leading streaming services and watch films or shows buffer-free. Overall, it keeps you perfectly safe.
Is there a free VPN for my phone?
There are free VPNs for mobile, but they’re usually risky. Free services tend to generate income by secretly collecting user data and selling it to third parties, or sometimes injecting malware into your device. It’s safer to use premium VPNs that offer free trials if you’re trying to save a penny.
How do I get VPN to work on my phone?
Firstly, choose a reliable VPN for mobile phones. Download and install the app on your mobile, launch it. Then, log into your account or create a new one. Once you complete these steps, connect to a server in the wanted location and you’re done. In the settings section, you can toggle with features.