Verizon is a well-known American internet service provider, or ISP for short. The added “Fios” stands for “Fiber Optic Service” and is arguably the fastest plan customers can get with this company.
Of course, this doesn’t consider the numerous restrictions and throttling you’ll experience when using the service. Plus, most US-based ISPs are notorious for collecting user data to aid in mass surveillance.
Which is why it’s vital to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to encrypt your online activities and remain anonymous. Furthermore, you’ll be immune to monitoring, censorship, and other limitations. Read on to learn more about the benefits of the best VPNs for Verizon Fios.
🎁EXCLUSIVE CHRISTMAS DEAL: Get NordVPN 69% OFF + 3 months free 🎁
Best VPN for Verizon Fios: shortlist
- The best VPN for Verizon Fios9.6
- Surfshark VPN – Verizon VPN with excellent performance9.4
- Affordable and reliable VPN for Verizon Fios9.1
- Atlas VPN – great freemium Verizon Fios VPN8.7
- Versatile and trustworthy VPN service for Verizon8.4
How to set up a VPN on Verizon Fios router
Why do you need a VPN for Verizon Fios?
Although fiber optic service is the cutting-edge technology needed for incredible connectivity, Verizon tends to limit customer potential anyway. Specifically, it throttles speed when customers are engaging in data-intensive activities, such as video streaming and online gaming. Their excuse is that downloading huge amounts of data reduces performance for all network users.
We know that’s false, but the practice is common among all American internet service providers. Therefore, your only viable choice is to use one of the best VPN services to hide your online activities. Then your traffic is masked with AES-256 encryption, making it impossible to monitor your online habits and slow down connection speeds.
However, not every virtual private network can be considered the best for Verizon Fios. For starters, you need an exceptionally-fast VPN that can consistently facilitate high-quality connections. You’ll also need other security features, such as ad blocking, malware protection, and more.
Best VPNs for Verizon Fios: overview
We selected five VPN providers that can effectively nullify Verizon Fios throttling while also granting other benefits. For example, you can use these virtual private networks to unblock bonus streaming content and play online video games with low latency.
Each provider has its own set of benefits and subscription costs. Check them all out before making a decision. But if you need more information, dive deeper into our detailed reviews.
1. NordVPN – the #1 VPN for Verizon Fios
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest VPN on the market
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Wide range of security features
- Only six simultaneous connections
The best way to curb Verizon Fios throttling and other ISP-related issues is by using NordVPN. Your online activities will be masked with industry-leading encryption, while swift connection speeds will permit 4K-streaming and lag-free online gaming. See for yourself with the 7-day free NordVPN trial.
NordVPN customers can enjoy optimal connections by picking from over 5800 servers across 60+ countries. Additionally, roughly 2000 servers are located in the US for Verizon customers to choose from. And besides regular locations, users can choose specialty options, such as Onion over VPN, P2P, and obfuscated servers.
Privacy is thoroughly covered because NordVPN had its no-logs policy audited multiple times to prove the service doesn’t store excess data. On the other hand, bonus entertainment options are available by connecting to foreign servers and accessing geo-restricted content on Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. And installing the VPN on your preferred device is no problem, thanks to SmartPlay and router support.
Use a NordVPN discount code when signing up and be blessed with $2.99/month subscription prices. If you need even greater protection, consider the plans with NordPass or NordLocker. Either way, your purchase is insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – excellent Verizon Fios VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- WireGuard-powered connections
- No device limit
- 100% RAM-only servers
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark VPN is the perfect choice if you need digital protection for a ridiculously huge number of devices. The service permits unlimited connections and grants top-notch security in addition to unparalleled connection speeds. Don’t believe me? Use the 7-day free Surfshark trial to find out.
The service boasts a massive fleet of 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. All hardware uses RAM-only technology to avoid using hard drives for data storage. Meanwhile, breakneck connections are conducted with the modern and open-source WireGuard tunneling protocol.
When Surfshark is enabled, the CleanWeb feature will wipe away pesky ads and trackers while surfing the web. On the other hand, Bypasser acts as split tunneling and allows you to choose which apps need a VPN connection and which don’t. Lastly, NoBorders mode is necessary for getting around online censorship and network restrictions.
Unlock the full benefits of this VPN with a Surfshark discount code and sign up for only $2.21/month. Don’t hesitate because each plan includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap and effective VPN for Verizon Fios
24/7 live chat
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- Great price-to-performance ratio
- Lacks WireGuard
Users looking for an under-the-radar VPN for Verizon Fios should look no further than PrivateVPN. The service is exceptionally-cheap and loaded with versatile features for practically every use case. You can get started with this provider using the 7-day free trial.
PrivateVPN operates a humble network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. While the number appears low, excellent performance is guaranteed with the help of High Quality Network. This is the unique practice of buying internet capacity directly from IP transit providers instead of intermediaries. Plus, reliable connections are guaranteed with the age-old OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
Like many other services, PrivateVPN is primarily used to access bonus content on streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. However, the inclusion of port forwarding and Stealth VPN features makes this provider a good choice for torrenting and security. Plus, buyers can use one account to protect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
Enjoy an unrestricted internet connection by signing up for this VPN for only $2.00/month. Don’t forget to grab a PrivateVPN coupon code to guarantee the best possible discounts.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN for Verizon Fios
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Reliable free version
- Unlimited device connections
- Cheap, fast, and secure
- No router configuration
The most budget-friendly way of curbing Verizon restrictions is Atlas VPN. Although the price is ridiculously low, the number of benefits a subscription unlocks is tremendous. But if you’re not ready to commit, consider giving the free version a shot.
Atlas VPN customers can choose from 1000+ servers across 49+ countries. Whichever location you pick, connections will be wicked-fast with the help of WireGuard. Plus, the servers are categorized by purpose for convenience.
This provider is a great choice for frugal security enthusiasts because of its abundance of features and affordable price. The first noteworthy benefit is SafeSwap, which will seamlessly alternate your IP address while you’re surfing the net. If that’s not enough, MultiHop+ can do that while keeping your location in flux as well. And the cherry on top is Tracker Blocker for keeping snoopers off your trail.
Claim an Atlas VPN discount and subscribe for merely $1.64/month. Don’t worry about buyer’s remorse because the 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – trustworthy US-based VPN for Verizon
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- WireGuard protocol for ultra-fast connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Limitless device connections
- No anonymous payment methods
Looking for a trustworthy US-based VPN to combine with Verizon Fios? Check out IPVanish! The service has an independently-audited no-logs policy, excellent security credentials, and solid performance.
Signing up for IPVanish grants access to over 2200 servers in 51+ countries. The entire fleet is bare-metal and completely owned by the provider to prevent third-party tampering. Combine this with WireGuard, and you have unwavering and reliable connectivity anywhere.
One unique benefit of IPVanish is that new users get access to VIPRE antivirus software, a great boon for improving overall security. Besides that, the scramble OpenVPN feature can be used to bypass VPN blocks and other annoying restrictions. Naturally, the VPN performs quite well when combined with popular streaming platforms like Disney+ or Hulu.
Although the service lacks a conventional free trial, the 30-day money-back guarantee is a great substitute. Plus, an IPVanish coupon lowers subscription prices to $2.49/month.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected the top VPNs for Verizon Fios
Not every virtual private network can be considered a viable Verizon Fios VPN. Specifically, the service needs to fulfill a few essential requirements. Here’s what we consider vital when picking a VPN for dealing with American internet service providers.
- Privacy. The primary purpose of the VPN should be gaining confidentiality against surveillance. However, you need to make sure the service isn’t conducting its own monitoring and data logging. Privacy is guaranteed if the VPN is located outside Five Eyes’ jurisdiction and has an independently-audited no-logs policy.
- Speed and servers. A VPN for Verizon Fios needs to be extremely fast to make the most of the fiber optic connection. You’ll get maximum potential using VPNs with 10 Gbps servers and modern tunneling protocols like WireGuard. Naturally, the provider needs a good number of US servers for optimal connectivity.
- Security. An all-encompassing virtual private network can hide your IP address while keeping you secure against various digital threats. Essential security features include ad and tracker blocking, protection against viruses, and features to bypass VPN blocks.
- Price. US-based ISPs are known for charging exorbitant prices while providing subpar services. As such, customers shouldn’t have to pay excessive amounts to nullify data throttling and other limitations. That is why we picked VPNs with excellent price-to-performance ratios.
- Compatibility. Some users might want to install the VPN on routers to forego installation on each device. In that case, the service needs to provide router firmware. This feature is critical if you own devices that natively do not support VPN connections.
- Customer support. Troubleshooting VPN-related issues can be cumbersome if you’re unfamiliar with the technology. Which is why we recommend signing up for a provider with 24/7 customer support.
How to stop Verizon Fios throttling
If internet speed tests show great results, but you keep running into lags while watching Netflix or gaming, your connection is most likely throttled. Luckily, installing a VPN on your device will most certainly fix this issue. Here’s what you need to do.
- Pick a fast and reliable VPN for Verizon. Our #1 recommendation is NordVPN
- Choose a subscription plan and sign up
- Download the software on your device or configure your home router with a VPN
- Connect to a nearby server for optimal connectivity
- Browse the web free from data throttling!
VPN not working with Verizon Fios:solution
As far as we know, Verizon Fios does not block VPN connections. After all, Verizon itself offers a VPN service, so it wouldn’t make sense to block some VPNs and not others. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t run into issues while using the software. For example, you could be unsuccessful at unblocking a particular website or movie on Netflix.
Whatever the case may be, we have some suggestions that might help.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. You won’t be able to unblock geo-restricted content if your true location is exposed via IP leaks. Use a website like ipleak.net to verify that the VPN connection is solid.
- Reconnect to another server. In the absence of leaks, it’s possible that the server IP address was flagged by a particular service. Then you’ll need to switch to another server.
- Enable Stealth VPN. Still nothing? Maybe Verizon Fios is blocking VPN connections after all. In that case, you must enable features that mask your VPN traffic and make it appear as regular HTTPS traffic.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies. Browsers store a good amount of data internally, which can include your location information too. This can undermine your VPN’s effectiveness at unblocking content. Clear the cache or use Incognito mode.
- Contact customer service. If nothing works, consider reaching out to customer service. They’ll know what will fix your particular issue.
Can I use a free VPN with Verizon Fios?
You might come across free virtual private networks when looking into Verizon Fios VPN options. Although the prospect of curbing data throttling for free sounds good on paper, the reality is a bit disappointing.
For starters, no-cost VPNs operate by cutting costs as much as possible. The most popular contenders for the chopping block are connection speeds, server locations, and security features. Meanwhile, you’ll also be greeted with data caps and throttled connection speeds. A bit ironic, right?
If these downsides sound reasonable, consider using some of the best free VPN services, for example, Atlas VPN or Proton VPN. It’s clear these services don’t collect user data for selling because they stay afloat thanks to premium subscribers.
And if you ever reconsider and wish to subscribe to a paid plan, look through available VPN coupon codes first. Using these at checkout grants you enormous savings.
Verizon Fios customers need to use a virtual private network to get the most out of their fiber-optic connections. Not only that, a VPN grants much-needed privacy and the ability to access foreign content easily.
You’ll be happy to know that NordVPN, the best VPN for Verizon Fios, is super-effective and affordable. Best of all, you can try it out completely risk-free using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
What’s your experience with Verizon Fios and VPNs? Do you think it’s worth using the ISP without a virtual private network? Share your thoughts below!
Does Verizon Fios allow VPNs?
Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal in the United States, and thus, Verizon Fios can’t block users from utilizing this technology. Plus, virtual private networks provide numerous benefits, such as anonymity and access to foreign content, making it a worthwhile investment whichever ISP you use.
Does Verizon Fios throttle VPNs?
No, Verizon Fios can’t throttle your connection while using a VPN because it cannot see your activities. ISPs usually only throttle speeds when customers are partaking in data-intensive activities, for example, video streaming and online gaming. However, your actions are masked and ISP throttling is stopped while a VPN is enabled.
What’s the Best VPN for Verizon Fios?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Verizon Fios. Firstly, it’s based in Panama, guaranteeing confidentiality from Verizon. Additionally, the NordLynx tunneling protocol provides unparalleled connection speeds even when connecting to far-away servers. Best of all, it’s affordable and even has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
What is the difference between Verizon and Verizon Fios?
Unlike other Verizon plans, Fios is 100% based on fiber-optic networks. This cutting-edge technology provides significantly better connectivity than standard cable connections. However, it’s important to note that you may still experience data throttling if you’re not using a VPN with Verizon Fios.
Can you install a VPN on a Verizon Fios router?
Setting up a VPN with a Verizon Fios router is impossible because ISP-provided hardware doesn’t support virtual private networks. That means you’ll have to purchase another router if you wish to envelop your household with a VPN. Alternatively, you’ll need to install the VPN software separately on each device.
Does Verizon have a free VPN?
No, Verizon does not have an entirely free VPN. However, its Safe WiFi VPN has a 30-day free trial. The service is available for Android and iOS devices and supports up to 10 simultaneous connections. Once the trial is over, a subscription costs $3.99/month.