Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) provide security and privacy for internet users. As such, they are useful anywhere in the world. But people in the UAE have special reasons for needing the services of a reliable VPN.
For starters, the government regularly filters adult-oriented or politically sensitive websites. So if you want to be free to visit any website, you’ll need to beat the censors with a VPN.
VPNs can also keep users safe from surveillance – which is definitely a factor in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. You can also use VPNs to access services like WhatsApp which are regularly obstructed, making person-to-person communication easier.
Finally, VPNs open up a whole world of streaming content and P2P downloads, allowing you to defeat Netflix geoblocks with the click of a button. So read on to find our picks for the best VPN for United Arab Emirates customers, and find the ideal tool to mix security and entertainment.
Our criteria for ranking the best VPN for UAE users
Before we get into the rankings, you’ll probably want to know what criteria we’ve used to come up with our list. Using the following factors, we’ve balanced every provider, coming up with all-rounders with very few weaknesses:
- Speed: Wide server networks, fast infrastructure, great streams, and lightning fast P2P all matter.
- Privacy: No logging policies, a location outside the 5/9/14 Eyes, and excellent DNS leak protection is what we need here.
- Security: If the encryption isn’t cutting edge, the VPNs aren’t serious.
- Flexibility: Multiple connections, protocols, and customizable clients all come together to widen users’ options, and we like that a lot.
- Price: Cost isn’t critical, but it surely matters. Only great value VPNs make the cut with us.
Our suggestions for the best VPN for United Arab Emirates internet users
- Location: British Virgin Islands
- Pricing: stars at $8.32/month
- Features: 256-bit encryption, unblocks Netflix, OpenVPN and IPsec supported, over 2,000 servers worldwide, P2P friendly, no logs, kill switch, DNS leak protection.
Based safely outside the extended 14 Eyes surveillance umbrella, ExpressVPN is firmly in the global VPN elite. One of the fastest VPNs around, it’s a great option for streamers and torrenters alike. Full P2P support and excellent Netflix unblocking make it perfect for entertainment fans.
Encryption is strong, there are no DNS leaks, and you’ll even enjoy a 30-day money back guarantee – so it’s essentially a try before you buy the product. Cryptocurrencies are supported, allowing anonymous payments. So this is a VPN that gets most things right.
So why isn’t it the best VPN for UAE customers? Well, the price is slightly higher than our main pick, and users can only connect 3 devices – a bit miserly for elite VPNs.
Read our full ExpressVPN review
- Location: Estonia
- Pricing: starts at $9.16/month
- Features: Apps for all platforms including Firesticks, 256-bit encryption, no logs, wide range of protocols, 3 simultaneous devices, servers in 21 countries, no bandwidth limits
Based in Estonia, BulletVPN is a great VPN which offers premium security features at a very reasonable price. Located outside the 14 Eyes, it should provide watertight surveillance protection, and a combination of OpenVPN and 256-bit AES encryption will make you extra secure.
You can install the BulletVPN app on pretty much any device, including smart devices. As Netflix unblocking is very reliable, this makes BulletVPN a very handy option for those with Smart TVs and Kodi installs.
So where does BulletVPN go wrong? There aren’t many flaws, but 3 devices isn’t many to connect at one time. We would like to see more. And there aren’t any Middle Eastern servers, which means that it can’t be declared the best VPN for United Arab Emirates users.
- Location: Romania
- Pricing: starts at $2.5/month
- Features: 45-day guarantee, 256-bit encryption, BitCoin supported, P2P friendly, unblocks Netflix, no logs, 7 simultaneous devices, chat and email support, unlimited traffic/bandwidth, kill switch, over 3,000 servers
CyberGhost is a VPN with almost everything – but doesn’t do quite enough to be named our best VPN for UAE users. Based in Romania, it features 256-bit encryption and all major protocols, along with DNS and IP leak protection. And Romania is outside the 14 Eyes, so you should be safe there.
There are more than 3,000 servers to choose from, and most are extremely fast. Netflix runs like a dream, along with any other streaming service you could name, gaming is smooth, and P2P is supported as well. Moreover, you can connect 7 devices in one household, making CyberGhost suitable for families.
What didn’t we like? Well, speeds are good, but not as reliable as they could be (and not as good as our top pick). So we couldn’t give this VPN top marks, although it’s not far off.
Read our full CyberGhost review
- Location: Switzerland
- Pricing: starts at $5.00/month
- Features: Tailored business services, 256-bit encryption, no 3rd party infrastructure, many apps, over 700 servers in 70 cities, anti-throttling detection, no bandwidth limits, StealthVPN
Swiss provider VyprVPN is another elite option which delivers pretty much everything Emirati web users could need. However, it also falls marginally short of our champion VPN. But it’s a close run thing.
The strength of VyprVPN lies in its professional features. For instance, StealthVPN makes it impossible to tell whether you are using a VPN, there’s specialist Cloud protection (at higher price tiers), and the VPN will combat ISP throttling if it is detected.
Along with those features, there’s strong encryption and zero IP leaks. What’s not to love? Well, speeds are fast but not stellar, and they will cancel your subscription if they receive copyright complaints, which isn’t great for torrenters.
Read our full VyprVPN review
- Location: Hong Kong
- Pricing: starts at $2.95/month
- Features: Many cryptocurrencies supported, 256-bit encryption, supports P2P, unblocks Netflix, 24/7 support, over 300 servers in Asia, 5 devices at one time, no data limits
Available for amazingly cheap discounts at times, PureVPN is Asia’s leading VPN provider. Based in Hong Kong, it’s been around for a while now and has a massive customer base, including plenty of Emirati web users, and it’s easy to see why.
There are more than 300 Asian servers, including locations in the Arab World, so finding a good connection for streaming shouldn’t be tough. P2P is well supported too, making PureVPN great for torrents.
Encryption and leak protection couldn’t be tighter, and the easy to use client is available for all major platforms, while you can connect up to 5 simultaneous devices. That should be enough for most people.
However, it’s worth remembering that Hong Kong is within Chinese jurisdiction, and China isn’t a VPN-friendly regime. So there’s a danger that PureVPN may be subject to official meddling. And if you miss out on the discounts, regular prices are quite high by elite standards.
Encryption and protocols are right up to date.
Read our full PureVPN review
- Location: Bulgaria
- Pricing: starts at $4.92/month
- Features: kill switch, 256-bit encryption, P2P friendly, unblocks Netflix, 200 servers in 70 countries, supports routers, can set up private VPN servers
Bulgaria’s VPNArea is a less well-known but high-quality alternative to industry leaders. Outside the 14 Eyes, it has gold standard encryption and leak protection, features a kill switch for extra insurance, as well as an automatic IP change which alters your identity every few minutes.
You can install VPNArea onto routers if you’d prefer to manage security through a central hub, and the VPN manages to work around pretty much any geoblockers. P2P bandwidth is unlimited as well, so torrenting isn’t an issue.
The only problem here is speed. 200 global servers isn’t much, and users can sometimes struggle to find a super-fast connection. You can often find one, but if you want a hassle-free experience, try other providers.
Read our full VPNArea review
Perfect Privacy VPN
- Location: Switzerland
- Pricing: starts at $8.95/month
- Features: No logs, unlimited devices, apps for all major platforms, excellent security features, TOR and SOCKS5 included, servers in 23 countries, supports IPv6, 7-day guarantee
Aimed at professionals more than home users, Switzerland’s Perfect Privacy is an elite-tier VPN with a few features that you won’t find elsewhere. For instance, the VPN bundles in NeuroRouting and TrackStop – tools which speed up browsing and neutralise adware.
There’s StealthVPN to hide your VPN usage, a very strict no logging policy, and one of the most comprehensive support teams in the industry. So if you need to set up an office VPN, you can give them a call and Perfect Privacy will help out.
Add in unlimited bandwidth and devices, and you’d seem to have a great product. However, the price can be too much for some users, and speeds are rarely as fast as our pick for the best VPN for UAE. Still, it’s great for businesses and pro-tier users.
Read our Perfect Privacy VPN review
And the best VPN for the UAE is…NordVPN
- Location: Panama
- Pricing: starts at $2.99/month
- Features: Crypto payments, P2P supported, unblocks Netflix, military-grade encryption, CyberSec, can run TOR through the VPN, kill switch, no logs, DNS protection, 5,200 servers in 62 countries (including 4 servers in the UAE), 6 devices at one time
In our testing, there was only ever one winner: NordVPN. Based in Panama, NordVPN consistently wins global VPN comparisons, and it easily outshone competitors in the UAE.
One of the major reasons is that NordVPN maintains fast servers in the country. There are 4 local servers, as well as plenty of other Middle Eastern locations, boosting speeds. This helps with ordinary browsing but also turbocharges Netflix and P2P.
Security is untouchable, with military grade 256-bit encryption, outstanding DNS and IP protection, a cast iron no logs policy, and attentive, genuinely helpful 24/7 support.
Families can connect 6 devices – including computers, phones and games consoles. And add-ons like CyberSec provide extra defences against cyber crime – a very handy addition.
All-in-all, NordVPN is head and shoulders above the rest. So give it a try.
Read our full NordVPN review
If you’re in the UAE, which of these VPNs have you used before? Did we miss any great VPNs for the UAE? Let us know in the comments below.