Popcorn Time is a free app for online streaming, which acts as a no-cost alternative to Netflix and other paid content platforms. It provides a seamless streaming experience anytime and anywhere, letting you watch almost anything you want.
However, you may find that access to Popcorn Time is often restricted or unsafe. This is primarily because this platform is based on P2P – it exposes your IP address. Furthermore, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can also see you viewing copyrighted material. In such cases, you need extra security provided by Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
If you’re looking for the best free VPN for Popcorn Time, only a few providers are up for the task. All of them ensure a fun, hassle-free streaming experience. Read on to learn more.
3 best free VPNs for Popcorn time – shortlist
- The best free VPN for Popcorn Time9.6
- Free Popcorn Time VPN with no device limit9.5
- Fast & free VPN for Popcorn Time9.0
Using Popcorn Time without a VPN is unsafe – protect your online identity with the best free VPNs!
How to install a free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device
- Connect to any nearby server for the best performance
- Use an IP and DNS leak checker to ensure that the VPN is working
- Launch Popcorn Time and relax while streaming!
Why you should use a free VPN for Popcorn Time
You can stream content on Popcorn Time without using a VPN. However, you might face issues pertaining to the legality of the files you download within your country. Technically, this copyrighted material is shared illegally, a punishable offense in many regions.
Another thing is that Popcorn Time gets all those shows and movies by using BitTorrent protocols. Anyone connected to the same peer-to-peer (P2P) network can see your IP address (and vice versa). If there are any malicious users lurking, they could use this info for nefarious means.
Both free and premium Popcorn Time VPNs help keep others from peeping into your device by encrypting online traffic. All data gets scrambled according to an appropriate cipher, so no one who doesn’t have the correct key can decipher it. Hence, total anonymity, no matter what you’re doing.
Of course, VPNs have plenty of other perks. They stop ISPs from throttling your bandwidth, help circumvent various geo-restrictions, get better deals online, etc. And you benefit from enhanced security in general, which is always needed when engaging in online shenanigans.
Best free VPNs to watch Popcorn time: detailed list
There’s no shortage of potential options when talking about free VPN services. However, it’s vital to filter out undesirable services. For example, most no-cost providers cut corners in the security department or collect your data and sell it.
Our top free Popcorn Time VPNs don’t do that. They come with the essential VPN feature trifecta – a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and IP & DNS leak protection. Furthermore, the providers operate under strict no-logs policies to ensure customer trust.
1. NordVPN – the top free Popcorn Time VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled performance
- P2P-optimized servers
- Independently-audited and secure
- Only six simultaneous connections
Our top recommendation for a free Popcorn Time VPN is NordVPN. You’ll get the best streaming experience and benefit from enhanced security to boot. Use it for free for over a month with the 7-day free trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, the pricing starts at $3.49/month.
The provider is based in privacy-respecting Panama and adheres to a verified no-logs policy. It offers broad device support, making it a perfect VPN for Popcorn Time. And while 6 simultaneous connections might not seem like much, you can easily cover the whole household by manually configuring the VPN on your router.
You get access to 5800+ servers in 60+ countries, which open a wide variety of global content. Connectivity will never be an issue, not with the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol powering everything. And anything you watch on Popcorn Time won’t lag either, not if you do so while connected to P2P-optimized servers.
NordVPN is packed with robust security features. Subscribers benefit from Threat Protection, obfuscated servers, Double VPN, split tunneling, and more. You can even use the VPN on devices that don’t natively support such software with Smart DNS.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – free VPN for Popcorn Time with top-notch security
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Largest country coverage
- Plenty of features for a low price
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Just like NordVPN, Surfshark VPN has a 7-day free trial available. However, it’s available for both Android and iOS devices on their respective app stores. Combine it with the 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can use it scot-free for well over a month. Want to subscribe? Just pick the cheapest plan – $2.30/month.
Surfshark is based in the privacy-respecting Netherlands. While the no-logs policy hasn’t been audited, it couldn’t collect user data even if they wanted to – all hardware is RAM-only. Thus, you can use it safely on any device you want with unlimited simultaneous connections.
The service boasts 3200+ servers in 100+ countries, making getting any content you want a true and tested reality. Your favorite shows on Popcorn Time will load extra fast, thanks to the WireGuard protocol. Software Defined Networking (SDN) also plays into great performance by significantly reducing latency.
Exploring the world wide web will be much safer in general with Surfshark. CleanWeb takes care of malware and ads, while MultiHop provides double the encryption. You’ll even be able to use the service in regions with restrictive internet due to Camouflage and NoBorders modes.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – free Popcorn Time VPN with cheap premium plans
Email, tickets, FAQ
- P2P supported on all servers
- WireGuard-fueled connections
- Excellent free version
- No router support
The free version of Atlas VPN is one of the best free VPNs for Popcorn Time. It comes with all the necessary security features, provides optimal performance, and is easy to use. What’s more, you get 5 GB GB of monthly data, which is pretty good for a costless service.
Additionally, the free plan comes with three server locations – Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles. It gives you coverage in Europe and both coasts of America. And while loading times should be pretty quick with WireGuard, don’t expect magic. The best speeds are reserved for premium users only.
Other limitations include 2 simultaneous connections and no option to stream. But don’t worry – Popcorn Time will work just fine since torrenting is enabled on all servers. And thankfully, you get some security-oriented features like SafeSwap servers, SafeBrowse, etc.
Atlas VPN apps are available on popular operating systems, plus Android TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick. But to further unlock unlimited simultaneous connections and access to 1000+ servers in 42+ countries, you’ll have to go premium. You can start for only $1.82/month and be protected with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Windscribe VPN – free VPN for Popcorn Time with streaming enabled
- Unlimited connections
- Broad device support
- Works with P2P & streaming
- No live chat support
Windscribe VPN is a great free VPN for Popcorn Time. It offers a generous 10 GB/month data limit if you feed in your email, or you can still enjoy 2 GB of data per month. When it comes to privacy, the Canadian location is far from the best. However, this provider has a strict no-logs policy and seems to take users’ privacy seriously.
The default data tunneling protocol for Windscribe is IKEv2/IPSec, but you can also choose OpenVPN. Users also have the option to pick the Stealth protocol, which is useful in China and other internet-restricting countries. Plus, there are plenty of countries to connect to – 11.
Windscribe has apps for Mac, Android, iOS, and Windows. Additionally, you can install it on Android TV plus Amazon Fire TV & Fire Stick. Another neat perk is that you’ll be able to access Netflix and BBC iPlayer. And you’re free to torrent anything you want.
Of course, you’d be able to do much more with the premium version of this free Popcorn Time VPN. If you want access to such features as malware & ad blocker, Double Hop, and split tunneling, subscribe for only $1.00/month. After all, there’s no risk in doing so, not with the 3-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Windscribe VPN, read our Windscribe VPN review.
5. Hide Me VPN – free Popcorn Time VPN with a generous data cap
- Strong security features
- Large country coverage
- P2P-oriented features
- No WireGuard
Hide.me VPN delivers what it promises. This free Popcorn Time VPN is perhaps best known for having a generous 10 GB GB/month data cap for its free users. It also doesn’t show ads, which can be annoying when streaming your favorite movie or TV show. You’ll benefit from security, speed, and transparency.
This provider doesn’t keep logs and is compatible with all the major platforms, including Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. The protocols used by the Hide.me VPN free version are OpenVPN and IKEv2. Users can also utilize this free VPN for Popcorn Time in China because it’s capable of bypassing the Great Firewall.
A built-in firewall helps limit outgoing and incoming connections within the VPN servers, meaning that no IP leaks can occur. A kill switch is a feature you do not find with many free VPNs, but this service goes a step further to provide this privacy tool. And the provider is based in Malaysia, where no data retention laws exist.
Whether you use the free or the paid version, you get technical support 24/7. A limitation of the free Hide.me VPN service is that, while premium users have access to 2000+ servers, you have a choice of only 4 server locations: the Netherlands, Canada, Singapore, and the USA. You can also only connect one device at the same time.
For a deeper investigation of Hide.me VPN, read our Hide.me VPN review.
How to choose the best free VPN for Popcorn Time
Due to the limitations of free VPNs, not every service is cut out for the job. If you didn’t like the providers listed above and are planning on doing your own research, make sure the one you end up picking meets these criteria:
- Allows torrenting. This one is an absolute must because Popcorn Time uses a P2P network for streaming content. If a VPN doesn’t support torrenting, you won’t be able to use the service. It’s also worth checking out the best free torrenting VPNs for this reason.
- Total anonymity. Due to the nature of the content shared on Popcorn Time, you can get into legal trouble for copyright infringement. Therefore, your chosen free VPN should have a strict no-logs policy. It means the service doesn’t store user data, so nothing can be traced back to you.
- Security essentials. Certain features are mandatory because they ensure you’re always kept hidden. We’re talking about AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection.
- Reasonable limits. Speed and data restrictions determine whether you’ll be able to stream movies in HD and how many of them you can view per month. IFinding services that don’t limit these is possible, but they might not have P2P enabled.
- Customer support. Free-tier users, naturally, are less prioritized than paying customers when it comes to getting professional help. It’s a nice touch when there are other ways to contact support than just by email.
How to get a free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Pick a reliable VPN service. Our top choice is NordVPN, available for free on the Google Play Store.
- Download and set up the VPN on your phone or computer
- Connect to the nearest available server
- Boot up Popcorn Time and enjoy free content privately!
Popcorn Time not working with a VPN
VPNs aren’t perfect, especially of the free kind. If you can’t access Popcorn Time while connected, it might be because of several things. We recommend troubleshooting the problem yourself before running to customer support.
- Check if P2P is allowed. Lots of free VPNs have torrenting disabled, and you might’ve downloaded one that does just that. If that’s the case, change the provider and double-check that they allow P2P traffic.
- Change the server. Overcrowded servers are notorious for performance issues and unreliability when it comes to bypassing restrictions. There’s no harm in connecting to another and seeing if that helps solve the issue.
- Disable the firewall and antivirus. This software might be flagging VPN traffic as suspicious, blocking this technology from doing its job. You can check whether this is happening by temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall. And if that’s the case, turn them back on and whitelist the VPN in the settings.
- Restart the services. Both Popcorn Time and your VPN could be glitching out. Reboot them and open the streaming service first before enabling the VPN.
- Reinstall Popcorn Time. You might be using outdated software incapable of doing what it’s meant to. Delete the current version and try getting the latest one. You can also do this with your VPN, just in case.
If none of the steps recommended above helped, now is the time to get some advice from professionals. Alternatively, you could switch to a free Popcorn Time VPN that works without a hitch.
Popcorn Time VPN warning
If you’ve tried watching anything on Popcorn Time before, you’re likely familiar with the message that appears reminding viewers to turn on a VPN. You’ll get it even if this technology is enabled because the platform asks you to use its built-in VPN. No need to worry – simply turn it off and continue viewing the content you want.
While it’s a great reminder to never use Popcorn Time without a VPN, we strongly advise against enabling the one offered by this service. It’s more than unreliable and even logs user data. It also doesn’t do much in terms of performance or bypassing geographical restrictions.
Free VPNs for Popcorn Time to avoid
There are many other free VPNs you can find on the market. However, they may not be suitable for streaming content on Popcorn Time. The reasons may vary depending on the features of these VPNs.
Some free Popcorn Time VPNs have bandwidth issues, while others don’t offer complete privacy. Here’s a quick glance at what VPNs you should avoid no matter what:
- HolaVPN – this free service technically isn’t even a VPN. It’s a P2P network that allows users to utilize the idle bandwidth of each other.
- Betternet – this VPN is slow, doesn’t have a kill switch, and logs personal data about you.
- SuperVPN – a malicious app that gets flagged by anti-virus software and stores browsing logs.
- Psiphon – as the name implies, this provider just wants to siphon your personal data and show your personalized ads on its app.
Getting a free VPN for Popcorn Time requires choosing a free version or a trial of an existing premium VPN. Completely free services shouldn’t be trusted (the same adage could even be applied to Popcorn Time).
But if you’re set in your ways, consider the NordVPN free trial on the Google Play Store for unrestricted 7-days of premium. The service adheres to a verified no-logs policy, has robust security features, and even offers P2P-optimized servers for the best torrenting experience.
Using any free online service entails some risks, and free video streaming platforms like Popcorn Time are no exception. Similarly, no-costs VPNs are notorious for flawed security, user data disrespect, and ineffective geo-block circumvention.
If all these downsides still haven’t dissuaded you, follow our guide and choose one of the best free VPNs for Popcorn Time. And just keep in mind that as good as they are, they can’t hold a candle to premium services.
What’s your go-to VPN for a secure movie night while watching Popcorn Time? Share your perfect Popcorn Time and chill setup in the comments section!
Can I use a free VPN for Popcorn Time?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Popcorn Time if you choose a reliable provider. Most no-cost services don’t have the necessary security features to ensure protection against ISP monitoring, throttling, and eventual fines for copyright infringement. Plus, others go a step further and collect your browsing data and sell it.
What's the best free VPN for Popcorn Time?
Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for Popcorn Time. It’s trustworthy because it makes its money from premium subscriptions and doesn’t resort to data logging. Unsurprisingly, the free plan comes with limitations as well, such as the 5 GB GB data cap. But if you’re unbothered by that, try this service out.
Should you use a free VPN with Popcorn Time?
Yes, but you’d be better off with a premium VPN for Popcorn Time. Popcorn Time uses P2P technology to stream copyrighted content. That means that you’re also distributing the content while using the app. This is why you need a VPN to encrypt your data, hide your IP, and avoid any fines. Unfortunately, not all free VPNs are reliable enough to protect your data effectively.
Is it legal to use VPN on Popcorn Time?
Using a VPN is perfectly legal in most countries. However, using Popcorn Time to stream and distribute copyrighted content can be considered illegal. Therefore, using a VPN to hide your illegal activities is still fairly risky.
How can I know if a VPN is working with Popcorn Time?
When you’re connected to a VPN, check for IP and DNS leaks before starting up the Popcorn Time application. If there are no leaks you can be certain that the VPN is working and encrypting your entire internet traffic.