Popcorn Time is a free app for online streaming, which acts as a no-cost alternative to Netflix and other paid content platforms. It provides a seamless streaming experience any time and anywhere.
Often, however, you may find that your access to Popcorn Time is restricted or unsafe. In such cases, you will need a VPN to access the content.
Paying for a VPN defeats the point of not paying for Popcorn Time. Luckily, there’s a way around this problem.
If you’re looking for the best free VPN for Popcorn Time in 2022, we will give you the top ten services to choose from. All of them ensure a fun, hassle-free Popcorn Time experience. We will also discuss a few VPN providers to avoid.
5 Best free VPNs for Popcorn time – shortlist
Can’t wait to start streaming your favorite shows on Popcorn Time? Here’s a quick look at our top free VPN choices:
- The best VPN for Popcorn Time with a free trial9.7
- Affordable Popcorn Time VPN with a free trial9.3
- Great free VPN with 5 GB of monthly data9.2
How to secure Popcorn Time with a free VPN
Using Popcorn Time without a VPN can have some serious consequences. To avoid any issues, you need to follow these simple steps and use a VPN:
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, currently 68% OFF!
- Install the VPN software on your device and connect to any nearby server.
- Use an IP leak checker to ensure that the VPN is working.
- Launch Popcorn Time and relax while streaming!
Why you should use a free VPN for Popcorn Time
You can stream content on Popcorn Time without using a VPN. However, you could face issues pertaining to the legality of the content you download within your country.
Popcorn Time downloads the content using BitTorrent protocols. Since it uses peer-to-peer (P2P) technology, content is shared with other people when it begins to download. The content is available until you delete the TV show or movie or close the app.
A VPN helps to keep others from peeping into your computer or device by encrypting your online traffic with military-grade encryption. The UK, Belgium, Germany, and Australia, among other countries, block Popcorn Time’s streaming services because of copyright issues. So, unless you use a VPN, you could face legal problems and be punished for streaming pirated content.
Best free VPNs to watch Popcorn time: detailed list
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Popcorn Time with a free trial
- Surfshark VPN – affordable Popcorn Time VPN with a free trial
- Atlas VPN – great free VPN with 10 GB of monthly data
- Proton VPN – secure and confidential VPN with no data caps
- Windscribe VPN – excellent free version with 10GB/month of data
- Hide Me VPN – well-rounded free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Hotspot Shield – fast and free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Speedify – fast but limited free Popcorn Time VPN
- ZoogVPN – free Popcorn Time VPN with weaker encryption
- SurfEasy VPN – free VPN for Popcorn Time with tiny data cap
When talking about free VPN services, there’s definitely no shortage of potential options. However, it’s vital to filter out undesirable services. For example, most no-cost virtual private networks cut corners in the security department or siphon your data and sell it.
In this article, we selected ten reliable VPN providers that can be used for free to secure Popcorn Time. Unsurprisingly, each one comes with certain limitations because you can’t expect perfection for free. Here’s a pro tip – you can alternate between these VPNs and offset the imposed data caps to watch more movies and TV shows.
If that sounds contrived, consider using a VPN coupon code and subscribing to a premium plan, and enjoy Popcorn Time without hassle.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Popcorn Time with a free trial
24/7 live chat, Email
- Excellent security
- Flawless privacy practices
- Fastest speeds
- Great server list (5500+ servers in 59 countries)
- Custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more
- Great app design and website
- 24/7 live chat and good knowledge-base
- Fair price
- Awesome for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- Great for China and other restricted countries
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best free VPN for Popcorn Time. Although most people know NordVPN as a premium VPN, it actually has a 7-day free trial. It can be claimed on Android devices on the Google Play Store. After that, you’re free to use the VPN on any other device as well. Plus, you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee, giving you a whole 37 days to try out the service.
NordVPN is one of the best VPN services overall. It has over 5500 servers in 59 countries, giving you access to a wide variety of global content. Additionally, it’s based in Panama and has an audited no-logs policy, guaranteeing privacy for everyone.
After the trial, pricing starts at $3.09/month and can be paid anonymously with cryptocurrencies.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – affordable Popcorn Time VPN with a free trial
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Strong encryption
- Excellent performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Almost zero logs
- 24/7 live chat
- Unlocks Netflix and other platforms
- Great for torrenting
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Supports plenty of platforms and devices
- Cutting-edge Nexus feature
- No-logs policy hasn't been audited
Just like NordVPN, Surfshark has a 7-day free trial available. However, it’s available for both Android and iOS devices on their respective app stores. Once you have it, you are free to use Surfshark on any other supported device. Furthermore, you can have an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
Surfshark is based in the privacy-respecting Netherlands and has been audited extensively by third parties to ensure security. Additionally, it has over 3200 servers in 95 countries and offers fast connection speeds with the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
After the trial, subscriptions start at $2.21/month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – great free VPN with 5 GB of monthly data
Email, tickets, FAQ
- P2P supported on all servers
- WireGuard-fueled connections
- Loads of features at a low price
- No router configuration
The free version of Atlas VPN is one of the best free VPN choices for Popcorn Time in 2022. It’s fast thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol and safe because of the AES-256 encryption. This provider offers 5 GB/month, which is quite average for freemium VPNs.
Additionally, the free plan comes with three server locations – Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles, giving you coverage in Europe or on either American coast. Plus, the kill switch feature will ensure that your real IP does not get leaked.
On the mobile version, you gain access to Data Breach Monitoring, which allows you to scan leaked databases for your email. Once added, the app will consistently monitor for further leaks and notify you of any relevant breaches.
Atlas VPN apps are available on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV Stick. To further unlock unlimited amount of simultaneous connections and access to 750+ servers in 37 countries, subscribe to a premium plan for only $1.83/month.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Proton VPN – secure and confidential VPN with no data caps
Email, knowledge base
- Amazing security credentials
- Great free version
- Very user-friendly
- Unblocks Netflix and more
- Apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Accepts Bitcoin and cash
- Few P2P servers
- Not good in China
Proton VPN provides unlimited data but is slower than the paid version. This service is serious about keeping users’ identities safe. They are based in privacy-friendly Switzerland and adhere to an independently-verified zero-logs policy. Proton VPN even houses some of its servers in a fallout shelter from the Cold War era that is 3,000 feet underground.
The traffic on Proton VPN is encrypted using AES-256 encryption and tunneled through WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEV2 protocols. This free Popcorn Time VPN also has a kill switch, which is an important feature that helps with privacy. Some free VPNs do not have this feature, which helps protect a user’s IP address when the VPN server loses a connection, by ensuring that nobody eavesdrops on the internet connection.
Proton VPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can also tap into its network using a router that runs DD-WRT, AsusWRT, or pfSense firmware. The free version can work with one device at a time. However, if you need more speed, more devices, and more features, you can try premium Proton VPN risk-free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. Windscribe VPN – excellent free version with 10GB/month of data
- No identifying logs
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Very fast speeds
- Great free version
- Works with Netflix & P2P
- Ad and malware blocking
- No live chat support
- Complicated refund policy
Windscribe VPN is a great VPN for Popcorn Time in 2022. It has a generous 10 GB/month data limit if you feed in your email. If you don’t, you can still enjoy 2 GB of data per month. The default data tunneling protocol for Windscribe is IKEv2/IPSec, but you can also choose OpenVPN. Users can also use the Stealth protocol, which is mostly applicable in China and other internet-restricting countries.
Additionally, Windscribe has the added security of a firewall. This free Popcorn Time VPN is limited to 11 countries, which is a decent server list. Windscribe has apps for Mac, Android, iOS, and Windows. Additionally, you can install it on Android TV plus Amazon Fire TV & Fire Stick.
When it comes to privacy, Windscribe’s Canadian location is fat from the best. This country belongs to the Five Eyes intelligence alliance. However, this provider has a strict no-logs policy and seems to be taking users’ privacy seriously.
For a deeper investigation of Windscribe VPN, read our Windscribe VPN review.
6. Hide Me VPN – well-rounded free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Good security credentials
- Decent geographical variety
- Works in China
- Not bad for torrenting
- Minimal logging
- Good connection speeds
- Free version
- No router app
Hide.me VPN delivers what it promises. It has very decent connectivity, and its data limit is exciting for serious content streamers. This free Popcorn Time VPN is perhaps best known for having a generous 10 GB/month data cap for its free users. It also doesn’t show ads, which can be annoying when streaming your favorite movie or TV show. Hide.me VPN service is known for security, speed, and transparency.
This provider doesn’t keep logs and is compatible with all the major platforms, including Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. The protocols used by Hide.me VPN free version are OpenVPN and IKEv2. The level of data encryption is high, as it uses AES 256-bit cipher to protect your traffic. By default, Hide.me VPN protects users against DNS leaks and IP leaks. Users can also use this free VPN for Popcorn Time in China because it bypasses the Great Firewall.
A built-in firewall helps limit outgoing and incoming connections within the VPN servers, meaning that it is not possible for IP leaks to occur. A kill switch is a feature you do not find with many free VPNs, but Hide.me VPN goes a step further to provide this privacy tool. Hide.me VPN is based in Malaysia, where there are no data retention laws. Also, it has no ties with the Fourteen Eyes alliance.
Regardless of whether you use the free or the paid version, you get technical support 24/7. A limitation of the free Hide.me VPN service is that, while premium users have access to more than 2000 servers, you have a choice of only 4 server locations: the Netherlands, Canada, and Singapore, and the USA. You can also only connect one device at the same time.
For a deeper investigation of Hide Me VPN, read our Hide Me VPN review.
7. Hotspot Shield – fast and free VPN for Popcorn Time
24/7 live chat
- Free version
- Fast speeds
- Great for Netflix
- Supports all major platforms
- Super-fast connection times
- 24/7 live chat
- Questionable privacy, invasive data practices
- WireGuard protocol not supported
- Costs a bit too much
The free version of Hotspot Shield gives you 500MB of data every day, which is enough to stream one or two episodes on Popcorn Time securely. This VPN also utilizes the fast Hydra tunneling protocol. However, free users have their bandwidth capped at 2Mbps, limiting the quality of your streams. Additionally, you only get one server location and one simultaneous connection per account.
Despite these setbacks, the free version of Hotspot Shield offers strong military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy. It’s available on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Chrome browsers.
If you want to grab the premium version, subscriptions start at $7.99/month at come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
8. Speedify VPN – fast but limited free Popcorn Time VPN
- Very fast
- Allows torrenting
- Has a kill switch
- Allows up to 5 devices on Personal Plan
- Offers money-back guarantee
- Great for those with slower or less stable connections
- Limited customer service
- Limited servers in Asia-Pacific
- No Netflix
- Under US jurisdiction
- Doesn’t work in China
Speedify VPN focuses, as its name suggests, on providing encryption at high speeds. While the speeds on the free tier may not be as high as on the paid version, they are still quite good. The service will make use of all available internet connections to give you great performance and user experience.
This free Popcorn Time VPN lets you enjoy the same number of servers as on the paid plan. The only difference between them is the data cap. As a free Speedify VPN user, you will only get 4 GB of data for the first month, and 1 GB for subsequent months. That much data will only be enough for some simple surfing and not for serious content streaming.
Speedify can be used across five devices. It’s compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It does offer military-grade encryption and also works in China, where it has one of its servers. However, you should be cautious about using it because the Chinese government might be snooping on that server’s traffic. Speedify VPN is optimized for BitTorrent and P2P activity.
For a deeper investigation of Speedify, read our Speedify review.
9. ZoogVPN – free Popcorn Time VPN with weaker encryption
24/7 live chat
- Can access Netflix
- Supports torrenting
- Decent for preserving privacy
- Good speeds
- Free plan
- Not many features
- Small network
ZoogVPN, formerly known as ZoogTV, is a Greece-based provider. This country has excellent privacy laws and is outside the Fourteen Eyes. Its free users are protected using 128-bit encryption, which is strong, albeit weaker than industry-standard 256-bit encryption. With ZoogVPN, you’ll be able to use different protocols like PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2, and OpenVPN. However, we recommend using only one of the last two as the others are outdated.
Furthermore, this free VPN for Popcorn Time service does not pry into users’ online activities. ZoogVPN also has its own DNS servers, which reinforces security and privacy. The VPN is compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, and routers.
ZoogVPN has servers in Hong Kong, but this does not make it accessible in China. The free service has three servers, and users can only connect on one device. It also has limited monthly data of 2 GB. Another downside is that ZoogVPN doesn’t have a kill switch, which can leave users’ IPs exposed if the VPNs connection fails.
For a deeper investigation of ZoogVPN, read our ZoogVPN review.
10. SurfEasy VPN – free VPN for Popcorn Time with tiny data cap
24/7 live chat
- No egregious leaks
- Apps for all main platforms
- Unblocks Netflix US & UK
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Very limited feature set
- Speed is below-average
- Based in Canada (Five Eyes)
- No kill switch
- Few security protocols
- Very expensive considering features
SurfEasy VPN’s free account is a good option if you are looking for sound encryption as you use Popcorn Time. Users in China can try SurfEasy because it can bypass firewalls and other common types of internet censorship, but it is still advisable to tread cautiously. This free VPN for Popcorn Time does have restrictions. For starters, you won’t be able to switch server regions. You will also not get unlimited data protection in case of connectivity problems, which could leave your IP address exposed.
Free users get 500 MB data cap every month, which is low but can be used to stream across five devices. You can earn more data by completing tasks such as inviting friends to join SurfEasy. This will get you an additional 500 MB every month. SurfEasy is available on the major operating platforms – Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. It is also available on Amazon Fire devices and has extensions for Chrome and Opera browsers.
For a deeper investigation of SurfEasy VPN, read our SurfEasy VPN review.
How to get a free VPN for Popcorn Time
- Pick a reliable VPN with a free version or trial. Our top choice is NordVPN, available for free on the Google Play Store
- Create a free account or claim the free trial
- Download the VPN on your content-viewing device
- Connect to an available server near your location
- Access Popcorn Time and enjoy free content privately!
Getting a free VPN for Popcorn Time requires choosing a free version or a trial of an existing premium VPN. Completely free services shouldn’t be trusted (the same adage could even be applied to Popcorn Time). But if you’re set in your ways, consider the NordVPN free trial on the Google Play Store for unrestricted 7-days of premium. Alternatively, dip your toes with the Atlas VPN free version and subscribe later if you’re frustrated by the 10 GB monthly data cap.
How to use a free VPN for Popcorn Time
Most VPN services are easy to use and follow a similar pattern. The trick is to have a VPN that offers decent speeds, allows P2P streaming and torrenting, and has solid encryption. It is also advisable to get a VPN that has a strict no-logs policy.
To use a VPN for Popcorn Time, you need to download and install the Popcorn Time service on your device. For the installation to go well, make sure that you download the Popcorn Time version that is compatible with your operating platform. Popcorn Time runs on different platforms, including Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS.
You should then go to your free VPN service, which can be accessed using your login details. Once in your VPN account, you can set your preferences and select the server location. You will need to establish an internet connection, and then you are set to begin running Popcorn Time safely and enjoy the show.
Are all free VPNs trustworthy?
Picking a free VPN is a lot trickier than you’d expect. Most don’t have your best interests in mind. Check out our YouTube video about the safety of free VPNs and stay informed.
You will also find a video review of the Top 3 free VPNs for Popcorn Time.
Free VPNs for Popcorn Time to avoid
There are many other free VPNs you can find on the market. However, they may not be suitable for streaming content on Popcorn Time. The reasons may vary depending on the features of these VPNs.
Some free Popcorn Time VPNs have bandwidth issues, while others don’t offer complete privacy. Here’s a quick glance at what VPNs you should avoid no matter what:
- HolaVPN – this free service technically isn’t even a VPN. It’s a P2P network that allows users to utilize the idle bandwidth of each other.
- Betternet – this VPN is slow, doesn’t have a kill switch, and logs personal data about you.
- SuperVPN – a malicious app that gets flagged by anti-virus software and stores browsing logs.
- TurboVPN – although quite popular, this service collects your IP and device information.
- Psiphon – as the name implies, this provider just wants to siphon your personal data and show your personalized ads on its app.
How to choose the best free VPN for Popcorn Time
Learning how to choose the best free Popcorn Time VPN is easy. You just have to check if it has all or most of the following traits:
- Allows torrenting. This one is an absolute must because Popcorn Time uses a P2P network for streaming content. If a VPN doesn’t support torrenting, you won’t be able to use Popcorn Time.
- No-logs policy. Popcorn Time can get you into legal trouble for copyright infringement. Therefore, your chosen free VPN should have a strict no-logs policy so that law enforcement won’t be able to find you.
- Kill switch. This is an essential feature of every free VPN for Popcorn Time. Without one, your IP address and location are exposed in case the VPN goes down.
- Speed cap. If you want to enjoy Popcorn Time, free VPN should provide enough speed to stream in HD. That’s not always the case, even if the provider says otherwise. Therefore, you should run your own speed test to see if it lives up to expectations.
- Data cap. Last but definitely not the least criteria, the data cap determines how many movies and shows you’ll be able to watch per month. Only Proton VPN and Atlas VPN have no data cap – other services give you from 500 MB to 10 GB/month.
Using any free online service entails some risks, and free video streaming platforms like Popcorn Time are no exception. Similarly, no-costs VPNs are notorious for flawed security, user data disrespect, and ineffective geo-block circumvention. If all these downsides still haven’t dissuaded you, follow our guide and choose one of the ten available free VPNs for Popcorn Time. Just remember that none of them will up to a premium virtual private network.
What’s your go-to VPN for a secure movie night while watching Popcorn Time? Share your perfect Popcorn Time and chill setup in the comments section!
Can I use a free VPN for Popcorn Time?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Popcorn Time if you choose a reliable provider. Most no-cost services don’t have the necessary security features to ensure protection against ISP monitoring, throttling, and eventual fines for copyright infringement. Plus, others go a step further and collect your browsing data and sell it.
What's the best free VPN for Popcorn Time?
Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for Popcorn Time. It’s trustworthy because it makes its money from premium subscriptions and doesn’t resort to data logging. Unsurprisingly, the free plan comes with limitations as well, such as the 10GB data cap. But if you’re unbothered by that, try this service out.
Should you use a free VPN with Popcorn Time?
Yes, but you’d be better off with a premium VPN for Popcorn Time. Popcorn Time uses P2P technology to stream copyrighted content. That means that you’re also distributing the content while using the app. This is why you need a VPN to encrypt your data, hide your IP, and avoid any fines. Unfortunately, not all free VPNs are reliable enough to protect your data effectively.
Is it legal to use VPN on Popcorn Time?
Using a VPN is perfectly legal in most countries. However, using Popcorn Time to stream and distribute copyrighted content can be considered illegal. Therefore, using a VPN to hide your illegal activities is still fairly risky.
How can I know if a VPN is working with Popcorn Time?
When you’re connected to a VPN, check for IP and DNS leaks before starting up the Popcorn Time application. If there are no leaks you can be certain that the VPN is working and encrypting your entire internet traffic.