Protecting your web traffic with a Safari VPN is a good idea. Unfortunately, Apple no longer allows third-party extensions to its browser, meaning you won’t find what you’re looking for. However, that doesn’t mean you should continue surfing without one.
“You should use a reliable VPN application to stay safe while browsing with Safari.”
Even though Safari is quite secure, it still leaves you vulnerable online. With the help of a VPN, you’ll be able to hide your IP address and encrypt all internet traffic, including that outside your browser.
Best VPNs for Safari 2023: a quick-list
If you don’t want to spend much time picking the right service, here are the Top 5 VPNs for Safari to choose from:
- The best Safari VPN9.7
- Safari VPN for multiple devices9.4
- Cheap VPN for Safari9.1
- Free Safari VPN9.0
- Safari VPN excellent for torrenting8.5
How to get the best Safari VPN
- Pick the ultimate VPN for Safari. Our #1 choice is NordVPN, now with a massive discount!
- Install the VPN on your Mac or iOS device
- Pick a server in any location
- Enjoy secure and private browsing with Safari!
Why do you need a VPN for Safari
Even though the Safari browser is pretty secure, it still does only part of the job. Whenever you surf online, your IP address is visible to your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and other third parties, such as the government.
Moreover, they can also see the sites you visit and what files you are downloading. This can result in unwanted legal trouble, not to mention the attacks from cybercriminals and malware.
Thus, the best way to prevent this is to use the overall best VPN. It will encrypt your traffic and hide the IP address, giving you privacy and security. Plus, you’ll be able to change your location and access previously geo-restricted content on various websites and streaming platforms.
Best VPNs for Safari in 2023
- NordVPN – the ultimate Safari VPN
- Surfshark VPN – top-notch, versatile VPN
- PrivateVPN – superb Safari VPN for streaming
- Atlas VPN – cheap VPN with a lot of features
- IPVanish – Safari VPN with VIPRE antivirus
Below are the Top 5 VPNs for Safari. All of them have apps for macOS and iOS, meaning you can use the same account to protect your desktop and mobile devices. Plus, they can easily bypass geo-blocks, letting you watch whatever you want. In addition, they all offer superb connectivity, global coverage, and safety features.
1. NordVPN – our #1 Safari VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Unbeatable security and privacy
- Best speeds
- Excellent for streaming and P2P
- No router app
If you’re a Safari user, NordVPN is your best choice. It has apps for macOS and iOS and supports plenty of other platforms. Also, NordVPN is the fastest VPN on the market, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Additionally, you’ll find 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Furthermore, obfuscated servers will let you surf freely in countries with hardcore censorship, such as China or UAE. And Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video geo-restrictions won’t stand a chance against NordVPN.
Safety-wise, you’ll get Threat Protection which will guard against malware, trackers, and viruses. Moreover, Double VPN will encrypt your traffic twice, making it extra secure. In addition, the independently-audited zero-logs policy will ensure that you stay anonymous online.
Try NordVPN for Safari with a 7-day free trial. After that, grab a coupon and get a subscription for $2.99/month. A 30-day money-return guarantee protects all plans. Also, you can save some cash with a NordVPN coupon.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – top quality, lower price
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Packed with solid security features
- Highly affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No-logs policy hasn't been audited
If you have heaps of iOS and Mac devices, Surfshark is the perfect VPN for Safari. The provider offers infinite connections, making it the best multi-device VPN.
Apart from that, Surfshark covers 100+ countries with 3200+ servers. Additionally, it can easily bypass geo-blocks on Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+. More so, you can utilize the SmartDNS feature and stream on consoles and smart TVs that don’t support VPNs.
Speed-wise, there’s hardly any match, thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. Furthermore, you can use Camouflage Mode to bypass firewalls in highly restricted countries like China. And for extra safety, you can grab a 3-in-1 Surfshark One package.
Catch a 7-day free trial or instantly grab a Surfshark subscription for $2.05/month. All pricing plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee. Additionally, you can use a Surfshark coupon to save some cash.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Safari
24/7 live chat
- Strict no-logs policy
- Stealth VPN
- Port forwarding
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN will give you endless content on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, or any other platform. It’s a phenomenal streaming VPN that works smoothly with Safari.
The provider has 200+ servers in 63+ countries. Additionally, it’s the only VPN that offers free dedicated IP servers, which are great for streaming and avoiding CAPCHAs. Moreover, the Stealth VPN technology will let you bypass the strictest firewalls in China, UAE, or Russia.
Furthermore, you’ll get NASA-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP leak protection. Also, your privacy is in safe hands, thanks to a strict zero-logs policy. More so, you can use PrivateVPN on 10 devices simultaneously or set it up on your router.
Binge as much as you want with PrivateVPN for $2.00/month. A 30-day money-back guarantee will protect your subscription. Or you can test the waters with a free 7-day trial. Lastly, don’t forget to grab a PrivateVPN coupon for an extra discount.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – Safari VPN with loads of features
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Unblocks Netflix
- Limitless connections
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is one of the cheapest VPNs for Safari. Nevertheless, it’s super easy to use, has an extensive features list, and offers a free version.
Apart from the essentials, you’ll get Tracker Blocker. It’s a tool that will fend off malware, trackers, and obnoxious ads. SafeSwap will hide your online tracks behind multiple IP addresses for extra privacy. Not to mention, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will ensure secure and seamless connectivity.
Furthermore, Atlas VPN covers 37+ countries with 750+ servers, giving you plenty of options. Not to mention, the provider can help you avoid geo-blocks and grant access to Netflix US, Hulu, or BBC iPlayer. Plus, get ready for 4K video quality with streaming-optimized servers.
If you want infinite connections, grab an Atlas VPN subscription for as little as $1.83/month. Additionally, your plan will be protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, don’t forget to grab a discount code and save even more!
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – Safari VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Great for torrenting
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
If you want a reliable torrenting VPN, IPVanish is an excellent virtual private network for Safari. You can utilize the SOCKS5 proxy to protect your torrenting efforts and boost download speeds.
Apart from that, IPVanish offers award-winning VIPRE antivirus, so you’ll feel extra secure. Not to mention, it has all must-have features: a strong kill switch, IP leak protection, and rock-solid encryption. Plus, the service has an independently-audited zero-logs policy.
Furthermore, you’ll find 2000+ pieces of hardware in 50+ countries. More so, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will ensure ultra-fast speeds globally. This service is also capable of bypassing geo-blocks and giving you access to extensive Netflix libraries.
Obliterate restriction and cyberthreats with IPVanish subscription for $3.99/month. You can save more with a special discount coupon. Plus, your plan will be protected by a month-long money-back guarantee. Otherwise, you can try a free 7-day trial.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How to choose the best Safari VPN
There are boatloads of providers that claim to have the best VPN for Safari. However, most of them lack certain attributes or don’t work at all. Therefore, we created a list of must-have features for the best Safari VPN, to see if it’s truly worth your attention:
- Compatibility. As there are no Safari browser extensions, you’ll need a VPN that works and has apps for iOS and Mac devices. Additionally, multiple simultaneous connections are a huge plus.
- Guaranteed anonymity. A provider shouldn’t expose your data to third parties or leak your info. Thus, make sure you’re picking the best no-logs VPN. Otherwise, your privacy might be just an illusion.
- Global coverage. The more countries you have, the more content you can unblock. Moreover, check if the Safari VPN offers servers nearby for better connectivity.
- Fast connectivity. A VPN shouldn’t slow you down. Therefore, check each provider’s performance, and pick the fastest VPN with the WireGuard or NordLynx tunneling protocols.
- Geo-restriction circumvention. There is no point in getting a VPN if it can’t bypass blocks. A suitable service for Safari should easily avoid curbs and strict firewalls globally.
- Rock-solid security. At the very least, a VPN should provide military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP leak protection. Even better if the services offer malware blockers and antivirus software.
- Quality-cost ratio. A VPN price shouldn’t be exorbitant. You can find a high-end service, such as NordVPN, for less than $4.00/month.
How to use a VPN for Safari?
Using Safari with a VPN is only available on Mac and iOS. That’s because Apple discontinued the development of Safari for Windows and Android devices.
Moreover, the browser doesn’t support third-party extensions as well, so the only option is to pick one of the Top 5 Safari VPN apps.
How to set up a Safari VPN on Mac
Do you want to bypass geo-blocks for more juicy content? Or, maybe, you want to be safer while browsing with Safari? Whatever the case, installing a Safari VPN on Mac is a wise decision. And here’s how you do that:
- Get the best Safari VPN subscription. Our analysis shows that NordVPN is the ultimate pick
- Install the service on your Mac
- Launch the application and select a server in a country of your choice
- Once the connection is established, go to Safari and enjoy a safer browsing experience!
How to set up a VPN for Safari on iPhone or iPad
Phones are no exception when it comes to cyberattacks. Therefore, you need to protect all precious data on your iOS devices. So, if you want a Safari VPN on your iPhone or iPad, here’s what you need to:
- Get the best Safari VPN. Our frontrunner is NordVPN, now with a huge discount
- Install the app on your iPhone or iPad
- Launch the application and pick any location
- Now you’re ready to browse securely!
Is Safari safe to use?
Safari is one of the most secure browsers in 2022. It has its own password manager, a private browsing mode, and protection against phishing. Moreover, Safari is excellent at blocking third-party websites from storing data in the cache and has an in-built firewall.
When it comes to privacy, the cons outweigh the pros. Apple is actively collecting data from its users, but at least it now asks to opt-in. Let’s also not forget that this company was involved in NSA’s PRISM program and used to collect browsing history, even when one’s in a private mode.
To sum up, Safari cares more about your security than privacy. And there’s not much you can do about it without any extra tools. Therefore, we recommend using a VPN for Safari or utilizing other browsers.
Safari browser alternatives
Safari is the default browser for iOS and Mac users. And while it’s good, there’s always space for improvement. Nevertheless, you might want to try more functional, safer, and private browsers.
For starters, you can look into browsers with built-in VPNs. They are great if you want to avoid the hassle of installing various extensions and apps. However, some of them have shady reputations or don’t offer as much functionality.
A better option is to download a reliable browser that’s compatible with a VPN and has superb browser extensions. You can choose from a few options: Firefox, Chrome, or Brave.
Safari not working with a VPN: causes and solutions
Using the top Safari VPN is an excellent way to protect yourself from breaches and other digital calamities. However, there is a slim chance of encountering some connectivity problems with a Safari VPN.
If you connect to a VPN server and get the infamous “Safari can’t establish a safe connection” error, don’t panic. Here are a few reasons why this might have happened and how you can solve it:
- Server connection issues. The hardware might be under maintenance, or you are too far from it. Hence, try a different server or a closer location.
- Outdated software. If your auto-update is off, your browser, VPN, or OS might not work correctly. Thus, check for new patches and renew your software.
- Conflict with other extensions. It might be that some Apple extensions are interfering with your VPN. Try disabling them and see how your virtual private network works.
- Your IP is leaking. Sometimes your true address is showing, so you can’t bypass geo-restriction. Prevent that from happening by double-checking if your IP leak protection and kill switch are on.
- You haven’t deleted Safari’s cookies and cache. Streaming platforms and other web pages can follow you and pinpoint your location due to browser cookies and cache. Therefore, delete them to avoid this problem.
If nothing helps, you might need to try a different VPN for Safari. Therefore, we highly recommend NordVPN, which has super-helpful and knowledgeable customer support. Plus, it’s extra swift and user-friendly.
Free VPNs for Safari – should you use one?
While there are a few reliable freemium VPNs, we don’t recommend using a free VPN for Safari. Most of them are of poor quality and might even make your browsing less secure. There are even cases of free VPNs containing malware silently infecting your device.
If that wasn’t enough, free VPNs either serve ads or collect your data to make money. More often than not, they do both. Another issue with such services is slow connectivity due to overcrowded servers, which can make browsing with Safari a pain in the bottom of your back.
Nevertheless, there’s an excellent alternative: free trial VPNs. By picking one, you’ll get the best features, loads of servers, and breakneck speeds. Furthermore, you’ll get access to geo-blocked content on streaming platforms. Thus, don’t hesitate and enjoy premium services charge-free for over a month.
While Safari is quite secure, privacy-wise, it could use some improvements. Additionally, you won’t be able to access geo-restricted content without any extra tools.
Thus, for safe and smooth explorations with Safari, pick NordVPN. It’s reliable, fast, and has loads of nifty features. Plus, it can help you bypass geo-restrictions and torrent files safely. Thus, don’t hesitate and grab a Safari VPN subscription now!
What do you think is the best VPN for Safari? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Does Safari work with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN and Safari at the same time and benefit from the added security and privacy. However, VPN extensions for Safari are unavailable due to Apple’s strict policies on third-party add-ons.
Does Safari have a built-in VPN?
Contrary to Chrome and Firefox, Safari also doesn’t have VPN extensions. Therefore, the only way to protect your browsing and other activities is to use a reliable VPN app like NordVPN.
Is Safari's Private Mode the same as a VPN?
No, Private mode is not the same as a VPN. It ensures that your browsing history doesn’t contain any sites that you visit. However, unlike a good VPN, it doesn’t hide your IP or traffic from the ISP that still sees what you do online.
Why can't Safari establish a secure connection?
Usually, Safari can’t establish a secure connection due to virtual private network issues. If you have connectivity problems with a VPN, try connecting to a different server or location. Also, you can restart your device and try again. For other solutions, check our troubleshooting section.
How do I get a VPN on Safari?
You can’t get a VPN on Safari as it has no third-party browser extensions. Nevertheless, you can protect your web traffic by getting a VPN app. Providers like NordVPN offer all-around amazing services that will keep you secure, private, and entertained.
Is there any VPN extension for Safari?
Unfortunately, there are no VPN extensions for Safari. That’s because Apple no longer supports third-party plugins. Therefore, if you want to protect your browser, you’ll need the best Safari VPN – NordVPN.