Have you ever used school Wi-Fi and faced obnoxious blocks on certain apps and websites? Well, that’s because administrators blacklist social media and entertainment platforms to prevent students from slacking. However, with the best VPN for school Wi-Fi, you can avoid various curbs, and access blocked content.
Additionally, a virtual private network will encrypt your data and hide your actual IP address. Thus, you’ll be safer and more confidential on the web. Plus, it will help you avoid annoying geo-blocks, meaning you’ll have access to extensive libraries on streaming services. Not to mention, a VPN for school will stop your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from throttling your data.
Hence, learn how to unblock VPNs for school and enjoy unrestricted internet!
Best VPN for school: shortlist
- The best VPN for school9.6
- School Wi-Fi VPN with phenomenal coverage9.4
- Cheap school VPN9.1
- Charge-free school VPN8.7
- One of the safest VPNs for school8.5
Want to access blocked content at school? Follow the guide below!
How to set up the best VPN for school
Why do you need a VPN for school?
The main reason why you need a VPN for schools is that administrators block access to specific websites and apps. Apparently, that keeps the students focused during school hours. Luckily, with the best VPN, you’ll have access to streaming platforms, video games, and social media in no time.
Moreover, by changing your location with a VPN, you’ll have access to more content. Due to copyright laws, some movies, shows, or entire platforms are unavailable in certain regions. Luckily, a VPN can help you spoof your whereabouts. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to play on geo-blocked game servers or get better deals for various online services.
Lastly, because school Wi-Fi is public, you can never know what dangers are lurking around the corner. Sneaky hackers and snoopers might steal your precious data or riddle your devices with malware. Therefore, getting the most secure VPN is a wise decision. You’ll get top-tier encryption, superb privacy, and, in most cases, extra ad/malware blocks.
Best VPNs for school Wi-Fi: overview
Below you’ll find services that can easily bypass VPN curbs at schools. Additionally, they will unblock social media apps, streaming platforms, and other websites. Not to mention they are secure, private, and super fast.
Thus, check out and pick the best working VPNs for school.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate VPN for school
24/7 live chat, Email
- Super-fast speeds
- Obfuscated servers
- Superb for streaming
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
If you’re looking for the best school VPN, look no further than NordVPN. It’s the most secure and private service on the market. Plus, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol, it’s the fastest VPN in 2023.
Most importantly, bypassing school Wi-Fi restrictions will be a walkover due to obfuscated servers. They help you avoid port blocking and even Deep Packet Inspections (DPI). Moreover, you’ll get 5800+ pieces of hardware in 60+ countries, so overcrowded servers won’t be an issue. Meanwhile, Threat Protection will fend off trackers, malware, and obnoxious ads.
On a less serious note, NordVPN is great for entertainment purposes. It can give you access to extensive content libraries on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and other platforms. Furthermore, you’ll be able to use Snapchat, TikTok, or Instagram at school. Also, P2P-optimized servers will ensure a fast and smooth torrenting experience.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – VPN for school with Chrome extension
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- No device limit
- Effective & affordable
- Camouflage mode
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is another excellent VPN for your school computer or mobile device. The provider offers infinite connections, making it one of the best multi-device VPNs. Moreover, it provides easy-to-use browser extensions for Chrome, Brave, Edge, and Firefox. And you’ll easily bypass blocks on school Wi-Fi with the Camouflage mode.
Furthermore, Surfshark will give you 5800+ servers in 100+ countries. Plus, the trusty WireGuard tunneling protocol will ensure stable and fast connectivity. In addition, the MultiHop feature will encrypt your traffic twice, so you’ll be more secure on the web.
Also, you won’t have to worry about malicious ads and viruses, thanks to the CleanWeb feature. Not to mention, you can change your location and unblock various streaming platforms, like BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, or Hulu + Live TV. Additionally, you can torrent freely on all servers.
So, scoop Surfshark’s 7-day free trial and see how it works. Alternatively, grab a special discount coupon and get a subscription for $2.30/month. Of course, a 30-day cash-back warranty will protect your plan.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – school VPN to unblock websites & apps
24/7 live chat
- Stealth VPN technology
- Excellent for streaming
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Lacks WireGuard
Need a working school VPN but can’t pay a fortune? Then choose PrivateVPN. While it’s cheap, it also offers excellent features, like Stealth VPN technology. It will help you circumvent blocks at school and access blocked content. Moreover, the service provides a 7-day free trial that you can try anytime.
Not to mention it’s one of the best streaming VPNs for numerous reasons. Firstly, the provider purchases High Quality Network (HNQ), which ensures top-notch speeds. In addition, you can access streaming services easier due to free dedicated IP servers. Lastly, it can easily unblock geo-restricted Netflix, Disney Plus, YouTube TV, and many other platforms.
Moreover, the provider covers 63+ countries with 200+ servers. And safety-wise, you’ll be protected by NASA-grade encryption, a solid kill switch, and IP leak protection. Not to mention, a strict no-logs policy guarantees that you stay confidential online.
Thus, grab a PrivateVPN coupon, scoop a subscription for $2.00/month, and bypass curbs at school. And if something goes awry, you can get your money back in 30-days.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – free VPN for school computers
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Solid free version
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Limitless connections
- No router firmware
The best free VPN for school is undoubtedly Atlas VPN. It offers 5 GB/month of data, 3 free locations, and allows P2P. However, accessing blocked websites at school with a freemium version might be a bit challenging, so we recommend snatching Atlas VPN premium.
The full version offers 1000+ servers in 42+ countries. More so, you’ll get sublime speeds, thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. Furthermore, some of the servers are streaming-optimized, so you can watch movies and shows in 4K without hiccups.
Additionally, the SafeSwap feature will hide your online tracks behind multiple IP addresses. Meanwhile, Tracker Blocker will protect you against malicious ads, rootkits, and viruses. Best of all, you can use Atlas VPN on as many devices as you want, thanks to infinite connections.
Get around blocked websites at school with an Atlas VPN subscription. You can snatch a special discount code and get a subscription for as little as $1.82/month. Not to mention, a month-long cash-back guarantee will protect your subscription.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. Proton VPN – safe school VPN with free version
Email, knowledge base
- Extremely secure & private
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Optional free version
- Not the best for torrenting
For safety-focused users, we recommend Proton VPN. This Swiss-based service offers top-notch encryption, IP leak protection, and a robust kill switch. Plus, it has an independently-audited no-logs policy. And if you can’t spare any money, Proton VPN offers a freemium version.
Nevertheless, we’ll be focusing on the premium. Proton VPN has 3000+ servers in 69+ countries. The provider utilizes the reliable and swift WireGuard tunneling protocol. Additionally, the VPN Accelerator feature improves connection stability by 400%. Thus, streaming Netflix, Hulu, or Crunchyroll will be a piece of cake.
Not to mention, Proton VPN offers a Stealth feature that helps you avoid port blocking at school. Furthermore, annoying ads, trackers, and malware will be a thing of the past with Netshield. Lastly, you’ll get 10 simultaneous connections that you can share with your friends.
Thus, get on restricted websites on school computers with Proton VPN. Don’t forget to grab a special discount coupon and scoop a plan for $4.99/month. And if Proton VPN doesn’t fit your needs, you can always get your money back in 30 days.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
How we selected these VPNs for school
Picking the best VPN for school Wi-Fi is no easy feat. Not all services are capable of giving you access to restricted content. Therefore, we tried and tested dozens of virtual private networks so you wouldn’t have to. And we did it according to this list of criteria:
- Unblocking capabilities. Some VPNs can’t circumvent strict geo-blocks and censorship. Therefore, you should pick a virtual private network with Stealth VPN technology. It can help you avoid DPI and port blocking. Additionally, you’ll be able to access restricted websites through school Wi-Fi.
- Number of servers. The more pieces of hardware you have, the better. That way, if one IP address is blocked, you can join a different server and get a working one.
- Top-tier speeds. Slow connectivity is one of the most annoying things in the world. Therefore, if you want super-swift speeds with a VPN, pick the one with the WireGuard or NordLynx tunneling protocol, such as NordVPN.
- Security & privacy features. At the very least, a VPN should provide the security essentials, like a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and DNS & IP leak protection. Moreover, some providers offer additional malware and ad blocks. Plus, a VPN should be based outside Fourteen Eyes jurisdiction and have a strict zero-logs policy.
- Price-quality ratio. There is no point in overpaying for a VPN. You can get a high-end, cheap VPN for as little as $4.00/month.
- Compatibility. What’s the point of getting a VPN if it only works on one specific OS? Many great services, such as Surfshark VPN, have dedicated apps for various operating systems and devices.
Why do schools block websites & services?
While internet restrictions violate freedoms in a way, most school administrators do it to benefit you. Below you’ll find out why most apps, sites, and platforms are blocked in your place of education:
- Limitations remove distractions. A school is a place of concentration and learning, duh! Therefore, most entertainment platforms are prohibited at schools. Unfortunately, sites with loads of helpful learning material, such as YouTube, are also unfairly banned.
- Blocking reduces cyberbullying. Sadly, many kids are harassed by their peers at school. Thus, to guarantee safety, many administrators block social media entirely.
- Restrictions decrease security breaches. You might riddle school devices with malware if you carelessly browse the internet. Hence, places of education try to block out any malicious websites.
What do schools usually block?
In most cases, the blocked content varies depending on your place of education. In addition to gambling, porn, and gore sites, here are some other platforms that are blocked in most schools:
|Category||Restricted apps & websites|
|Streaming services||Disney+, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix|
|Social media||Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok|
|Video games||Roblox, Minecraft, League of Legends, Fortnite|
Nevertheless, suppose you want to take a well-deserved break. In that case, you can bypass website restrictions with a reliable VPN for Wi-Fi. It will help you avoid limitations and will keep your devices safe in most cases. More so, you’ll be able to unlock more content on streaming sites and access geo-blocked gaming servers if you want to.
How to unblock content at school with a VPN?
If you want to bypass school restrictions on certain websites or apps, you can easily do that with the best VPNs for school. That way, you can play games, stream, or socialize online during breaks.
We recommend downloading and setting up a virtual private network outside your school. That’s because most places of education block VPN websites as well. However, if you want to download a virtual private network for your school device, use your mobile data or reliable proxy service to access VPN websites.
How to get content with a VPN for school computer
Want to watch some cat videos on your computer, but your school is blocking YouTube? That won’t be an issue with a trustworthy VPN for Windows or Mac. To unlock the content, you need to:
- Get a top-tier VPN for your computer. We suggest NordVPN, now with a massive discount!
- Install the application on your Windows or Mac device
- Connect to your school Wi-Fi and launch the VPN
- Pick a server nearby for better connectivity
- Now you can browse the web without any restrictions!
How to get content with a VPN for school Chromebook
Unblocking websites on school Chromebooks might seem impossible. Luckily, you can solve this issue by getting a top-notch Chromebook VPN. Remember, you’ll need to use your mobile data or a proxy to access VPN websites. After that, follow these steps:
- Pick a VPN that has an app for Chromebook. Our #1 choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Download the application and set it up on your device
- Connect to your school Wi-Fi and run the virtual private network
- Pick a server of your choice
- Surf the web freely at school!
How to get content with a VPN for iPhone or Android
If you’re connected to your school’s Wi-Fi with your phone, chances are you won’t be able to access most apps and websites. Therefore, you’ll need a reliable VPN for Android or iPhone to browse without limitations. To do that, you need to:
- Choose a VPN that works with iOS or Android OS. We suggest Surfshark VPN, now with a humongous discount!
- Download the application from Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Turn the VPN on and pick a server nearby
- Enjoy unrestricted content at school!
What can you do with a school VPN?
So, now that you know how to unblock stuff on a school computer, you can start exploring. Best of all, your school administrator won’t see what you’re doing online because a VPN encrypts your data, making it impossible to track you.
However, you might have a hard time deciding what you want to do first. Therefore, here are a few ideas on what you can do with a VPN for school Wi-Fi:
- Access restricted social media. A VPN will bypass strict firewalls and help you access social media platforms. Thus, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok are at your fingertips.
- Play the most popular video games. Now that you can bypass school filtering, you won’t have to play shoddy games online. A gaming VPN will help you download Roblox, Minecraft, or even Fortnite!
- Stream video content. No school firewall can prevent you from streaming your favorite shows and movies. Enjoy Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or any other streaming platform at school.
- Download helpful learning material. Sadly, schools block websites that would make your learning process much easier. For example, there are plenty of great sites for textbook torrents that allow you to download them for free. And with a VPN, you can finally access them.
VPN is not working at school: solutions
While very unlikely if you’re using a reliable school VPN, you might have issues using a virtual private network in your place of education. That’s because strict firewalls are blocking VPNs.
But don’t give up yet! Here are a few ways how you can solve these issues:
- Try a different tunneling protocol. A reliable service should have plenty of options. However, your best bet is to try the OpenVPN protocol.
- Join a different server. Sometimes IP addresses get banned. Thus, you can try to connect to a different server and get a new internet protocol address.
- Turn on traffic obfuscation. This feature will hide the fact that you’re using a VPN, and the firewall won’t be able to detect you. However, if your provider doesn’t have this feature, you might want to consider the last option.
- Get a more trustworthy VPN. If nothing else helps, you need a more capable service. For example, you shouldn’t have any problems with NordVPN. Additionally, it has obfuscated servers, plenty of hardware globally, and various tunneling protocols.
Free VPN for school Wi-Fi
It might seem like a logical idea to use a free VPN for school, especially if you’re a student with not a lot of disposable income. While there are a few reliable freemium VPNs, Like Atlas VPN or Proton VPN, most charge-free VPNs won’t do any good.
For instance, most costless services can’t bypass firewalls and geo-blocks, so bypassing internet restrictions at school will be impossible. Additionally, free and shady VPNs collect your data and sell it to advertisers and other third parties. Lastly, some services are actually malware-injecting machines, and no good can come out of that.
Therefore, if you desperately want to access forbidden content at school, we recommend using a free trial VPN. That way, you can bypass restrictions, stay anonymous, and avoid limitations. Plus, you’ll get loads of servers, phenomenal speeds, and endless entertainment possibilities.
To improve your focus, many schools impose restrictions on social media, gaming, and streaming sites. However, by filtering content, they also block out useful learning material. Luckily, you can use a VPN for school Wi-Fi to fix this issue and access the forbidden internet.
And the best one out there is NordVPN. It offers top-tier speeds, loads of hardware globally, obfuscated servers, and loads of other useful features. Plus, it will keep you secure and private while browsing the web at school.
What do you think is the best VPN for school Wi-Fi? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Are VPNs allowed at school?
In most cases, using VPNs at school is perfectly okay. However, it depends on your place of education and the rules they impose. Therefore, get a reliable VPN for school Wi-Fi with Stealth VPN technology to avoid trouble.
What VPN should I use for school Wi-Fi?
Undoubtedly, the best VPN for school Wi-Fi is NordVPN. It can easily bypass restrictions and give you access to blocked content. Additionally, it has plenty of servers, breakneck speeds, and loads of useful features.
What is the best free VPN to use at school?
If you can’t afford a premium VPN, we recommend using Atlas VPN freemium version for school. It’s considerably fast, offers 2 simultaneous connections, and allows P2P on all free servers. Plus, it’s super secure and private.
How do you unblock school Wi-Fi?
The only reliable way to unblock content on school Wi-Fi is to use a top-tier VPN. It will help you circumvent firewalls and help you get the content that you crave. And the best service for the job is NordVPN.
Why is my VPN not working at school?
In most cases, VPNs don’t work at schools because firewalls prevent them from working properly. To avoid this issue, we recommend reading through our troubleshooting section.