In this article, we’ll explain how to unblock Minecraft with a VPN. Minecraft is a worldwide phenomenon with over 100 million active users. There’s plenty to do in this virtual world until you get blocked at school, at work, or because of geo-restrictions.
Best Minecraft VPNs get around IP bans and protect you while playing.
While there are plenty of VPN providers, not all can unblock Minecraft servers. In fact, you won’t be able to play at all if Mojang detects that you’re using a VPN. That’s why we’ll be talking only about the VPNs for Minecraft that can do the job and let you play.
No time to read? Here are our best Minecraft VPNs in 2020:
- Unbeatable in terms of security and privacy
- NordLynx protocol for the best speeds without sacrificing security
- SmartPlay feature to access the geo-blocked content
- No router app
NordVPN is the fastest and most secure VPN for Minecraft. Moreover, it comes with military-grade encryption, leak protection, and secure tunneling protocols. Simply put, you need never worry about getting DDoSed.
With over 5000 servers in 59 countries, there’s bound to be a server nearby. Additionally, NordVPN has apps for all major platforms, including Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. It also unblocks not only Minecraft but streaming websites and torrenting.
You can get NordVPN for $3.49/month. Every subscription comes with six simultaneous connections allowed. Then there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply put, this is the best Minecraft VPN that you can get.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN
- Fast connections
- Great for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Weak self-help support section
Surfshark is the cheapest best VPN for Minecraft. It doesn’t limit simultaneously connected devices, meaning you can easily share your account with friends. Besides, all major platforms are supported by this service.
When it comes to speed, Surfshark VPN ends up among the fastest services. Therefore, you shouldn’t have issues while playing Minecraft, streaming Netflix, or torrenting. While this provider doesn’t offer that many servers, none of them suffer from overcrowding.
You can get Surfshark VPN for $1.94/month only, including a 30-day money-back guarantee. What’s more, Android and iPhone users are eligible for a 7-day free trial. We’re certain that you’ll like this secure and private VPN for Minecraft.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- Reliable connections
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Great server list
- No anonymous payment options
Minecraft is available on a wide range of devices and platforms. And since IPVanish supports all of them, we believe it to be a hugely powerful Minecraft VPN. This service has great security, privacy, and unblocking capabilities.
With IPVanish, you’ll be able to play Minecraft and other games and avoid IP bans. It has a widely-spread server fleet and good speeds. Also, they should be enough for streaming Netflix US and torrenting.
We recommend downloading IPVanish because there’s a 7-day money-back guarantee. There’s a 10 simultaneous connections limit, meaning you’ll be able to unblock Minecraft on all of your devices.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
- Solid security features
- Great for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No anonymous payments
VyprVPN deserves to be among the best Minecraft VPN services. This Switzerland-based provider is also among the safest VPNs. Naturally, this translates into excellent security and privacy.
VyprVPN offers a proprietary protocol called Chameleon. It’s practically uncrackable, easily overcomes Minecraft IP bans, and unblocks this game even in China. Furthermore, VyprVPN is fast, allowing quality gaming, streaming, and torrenting.
This Minecraft VPN is decently-priced. You can get VyprVPN for $2.5/month and use it on 5 devices simultaneously. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
- Packed with great security features
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Highly affordable
- Support could be more responsive
PrivateVPN is a great VPN for Minecraft. Even though its servers are few, they’re strategically placed, not overcrowded, and provide fast speeds.
Even more, buying PrivateVPN brings a thoughtful combination of security, privacy, and performance. Next, it uses bank-grade encryption, keeps no logs, and purchases internet capacity straight from the IP transit provider. PrivateVPN will allow you to not only play Minecraft but also watch Netflix and download torrents.
Starting at $1.89/month, this service is cheap. And since you can use it on up to 6 devices at the same time, you can play Minecraft from any device. Last but not least, PrivateVPN offers a 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
6. Private Internet Access
- Powerful security features
- Works well for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Based in the US
Private Internet Access will unblock Minecraft and to that for a very cheap price. Besides, each plan gives 10 simultaneous connections, making the deal even better. That’s why we recommend you to download PIA – it comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
This service has great coverage in the West, providing decent speeds for playing Minecraft and other games. It also allows P2P and unblocks Netflix US library. And just like the rest VPNs, Private Internet Access has apps for all popular devices.
In terms of security and privacy, PIA does well too. This VPN uses military-grade encryption, has no leaks, and strict no-logs policy. That’s why you should feel safe whenever you want to unblock Minecraft at school or at work.
For a deeper investigation of Private Internet Access, read our Private Internet Access review.
- Large server list
- Advanced port forwarding
- Unblocks Netflix and other platforms
- Some of the server locations are fake or “virtual”
PureVPN will help you unblock and play Minecraft in no time. It comes with a kill switch, no leaks, and an independently-audited no-logs policy for your security and privacy. Furthermore, PureVPN has truly global coverage, providing servers in more than 140 countries.
The speeds provider by this service should be enough for gaming, streaming, and torrenting. PureVPN easily unblocks not only Minecraft but also Netflix. Additionally, its port forwarding feature enables you to join Minecraft servers that are behind a router.
Getting PureVPN for $5.82/month is a tempting offer, especially when you get 10 simultaneous connections. Plus, there’s a 31-day money-back guarantee available for each plan.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
8. Hotspot Shield
- Super-fast connection times
- Great for Netflix
- Supports all major platforms
- Most plans are not cheap
Hotspot Shield provides very fast speeds for Minecraft. It has an impressive fleet of 3200+ servers in more than 80 countries. This means the VPN will serve Minecraft users well regardless of location.
Also, Minecraft players will make use of its Catapult Hydra tunneling protocol. Additionally, it increases speeds on slow or unstable connections. In addition, Hotspot Shield unblocks multiple Netflix libraries and is great for P2P.
This service has a free version for you to try. However, it has limitations, and that’s why we recommend you to buy Hotspot Shield for $7.99/month. Their generous 45-day money-back guarantee should be enough for you to make up your mind.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
Why do you need a VPN for Minecraft?
You’re reading this article because you’re a passionate fan of Minecraft. And more precisely, you’re probably facing a problem that prevents you from playing the game. Therefore, let’s see what kinds of issues can be solved using a VPN for Minecraft.
- Unblock Minecraft from anywhere. We understand why schools, colleges, and companies block access to Minecraft servers. Being such an addictive game, it can quickly consume plenty of time. However, what if you want to check your virtual world during a break? What if your campus’ wifi blocks Minecraft? Well, these problems can be easily resolved by using a VPN.
- Get around Minecraft IP bans. Every Minecraft server has certain rules. And by breaking those rules, your IP can end on the list of banned IPs. This effectively prevents you from playing the game. Luckily for you, a VPN for Minecraft will give you a new IP that fights bans most effectively.
- Get Protection against DDoS attacks. Just like any hugely popular online game, Minecraft attracts the attention of hackers and malicious individuals. There have been plenty of instances of DDoS attacks to disable a Minecraft server. Once again, a VPN will encrypt your data, minimizing the chances of you becoming a DDoS target.
How can a Minecraft VPN help you?
We’ll take this opportunity to teach you more about the VPN’s role in the Minecraft universe. Here’s what you need to know about using a Minecraft VPN.
The primary role of any VPN is to create a secure tunnel for your data. In other words, these applications allow you to connect to a secure server easily. Once that connection is achieved, you automatically get a new IP address (a virtual one). This means that a Minecraft server will see your virtual IP, while your real IP stays hidden.
Since you have a new IP, you can also unblock Minecraft in your school or office. And most importantly, your tunnel-traveling data will be encrypted, which keeps DDoS attacks at bay.
How to play Minecraft with a VPN?
Here’s how to play Minecraft once you have a VPN:
- Step 1. First, you need to download your chosen VPN on your computer. Install the application and log in using your credentials;
- Step 2. You’ll see a list of servers at this point. Just double-click on any of these and your VPN will take a few seconds to connect.
- Step 3. From this moment onward, you’ll browse the Web with a new virtual IP and all your incoming and outgoing data will be encrypted. This also means that you can minimize your VPN, launch Minecraft and play the game like you usually would. It’s that easy!
How to choose the best VPN for Minecraft?
We won’t hide the fact that you’ll find hundreds of VPN services on the web. So, the real question is – how to know which one to pick? What should the best VPN for Minecraft have? With this said, here’s what you must keep in mind:
- Low latency. Minecraft is an online game, so it’s imperative not to harm your gaming experience. You should pay attention to what kind of ping you can expect. Ideally, you want a VPN that will perform similar to your ‘naked’ connection.
- Fast performance. In general, VPNs tend to throttle the speed of your web connection. However, the best ones out there minimize this downside. To help you with this, pay attention to our list VPNs for Minecraft that you can find above.
- Broad platform support. Minecraft is present on a wide range of platforms. This makes it essential to pick a VPN that you can install on your chosen device.
Should you use a free VPN for Minecraft?
While it’s possible, we need to highlight the fact that you should never use a free VPN for Minecraft, and here’s why:
- Free VPNs come with severe bandwidth and performance limitations. Virtually none of them can provide a smooth Minecraft experience.
- Free VPNs earn money by serving ads. Instead of getting rid of ads, you’ll be overwhelmed by them. In most cases, that will also impact your connection speed.
- Free VPNs have a hard time preventing data leaks. If your true IP address leaks during gameplay, you’ll face severe problems in the long run. Needless to say, this won’t help you with Minecraft IP blocking.
- Free VPNs collect your data. While this isn’t directly related to your Minecraft experience, you should still know about this privacy issue.
Hopefully, these reasons will be enough for you to reconsider using a free VPN for Minecraft.
How to bypass the Minecraft account ban?
It’s possible to get around a Minecraft account ban with a VPN. However, it depends on the type of ban that you got.
Most often, Minecraft players get an IP ban. In case you don’t want to wait, you can use a VPN to change your IP address. That should be enough to get back playing.
There are also server bans, which are much harder to deal with but might be temporary. Getting one means that your Minecraft account has been banned from the server. In this case, you can change your IP address with a VPN and create a new account.
Mojang wouldn’t ban the player’s account if she or he didn’t do anything illegal or against the rules. That would include something like using an illegal game copy. Also, server moderators can ban a user who harasses other Minecraft players or cheats.