If you have a Smart TV, you’re already up to speed with the fantastic features and apps they offer to provide a richer entertainment experience. Unlike older TVs, you can web stream or cast, download content streaming apps, browse online and carry out other functions. The user experience is next-level, and the rich array of content types and genres available means you might never actually switch it off!
However, LG smart TVs are a little different as they use a unique operating system that doesn’t support most software. As such, you will need to use external devices to install third-party apps like Kodi. In this article, we’ll provide you with a few alternatives for getting Kodi up and running on your LG smart TV.
How to install Kodi on LG Smart TV
Can’t figure out how to set up Kodi on your LG smart TV? Scroll down and learn how!
LG TV difference vs other Smart TV
All major TV manufacturers are now switching towards Smart TVs, but the LG version is quite different from other mainstream competitor offerings. Why? Because the LG smart TV doesn’t use Android for its operating system and instead uses WebOS.
Not to worry – although the different OS makes it slightly more complicated to install applications, the steps to follow are pretty simple, and there are various potential routes that you can take. Plus, having third-party software on your smart TV means you can install a VPN for LG TV on your home entertainment system.
Kodi on LG TV
You’ve probably also heard of Kodi, which is an open-source and free media-playing application. Created by a tech consortium operating in the non-profit space, XBMC Foundation, the software system can be used across a range of hardware and various operating systems – including WebOS. It’s a popular choice for LG smart TV owners considering that the user interface can extend up to 10 feet on compatible TVs.
You can use Kodi across Windows, Android, Web, Roku, and Linux. Plus, you can install it across several devices and platforms simultaneously. It also works on nearly all smart TV manufacturer brands.
Best of all, you can install a VPN for Kodi and thus facilitate a virtual private network connection on smart TVs that don’t natively support VPN software.
4 Options how to install Kodi on LG TV
You can get Kodi on LG Smart TV models and most other brands, including Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. However, you should be aware that a lot of the power of Kodi comes from unofficial add-ons, allowing to stream pirated content.
For this reason, it is wise to use the software in conjunction with a VPN to protect your anonymity. So far, our security and privacy have been preserved by installing NordVPN on Kodi.
The VPN secures your identity by hiding your IP address and encrypting your traffic with military-grade encryption. Doing this can help prevent issues with copyright and DMCA notices and unblock essential add-ons such as GAIA, Covenant, or Neptune Rising.
When installing Kodi on LG Smart TV models, you can also use the Kodi VPN system itself. The Kodi VPN offering is directly compatible with Android OS, but it can still be used with LG Smart TVs and cope with the WebOS alternative.
Option 1 – Download Kodi via Google Play
With most Smart TV models that use the Android operating system, the TV is ready to install Kodi directly. Then you can customize the TV options for use according to your preferences. However, as LG uses WebOS to run its software, you can’t get Kodi on LG Smart TV models with a direct download.
So, to get around it, connect either an Android box or an Android stick to your LG Smart TV, go to Google Play Store, and then carry out your Kodi download onto the TV. Alternatively, use Roku Player or Chromecast. Let’s look at these options now in more detail.
Option 2: Download Kodi on LG Smart TV models with Chromecast
You’ll need an Android phone to utilize this option. If you’ve got one, follow these simple steps to get started:
1. Have your smart TV and smartphone both connected to the same network.
2. Download and install Kodi on your Android smartphone so that you can play it on your TV.
3. Once you’ve installed Kodi, install Chromecast onto the same phone, using the Google Play Store again.
4. Install it by going to Google Play, searching for the Google Home App, and selecting install. Wait a few minutes until it has finished.
5. Then, pair Google Chromecast with your LG smart TV. Do this by going to the Google Home App and selecting Cast Screen / Audio. This will allow the casting to begin so that you can start to use Kodi on your LG Smart TV.
Option 3: Download Kodi on LG Smart TV models with Roku Player
There is also an option to choose the Roku Player to access Kodi on your LG smart TV. Again, it’s quick and easy to do, and the steps are detailed below. Alternatively, you can check out our detailed guide on how to install Kodi on Roku.
1. Grab your smartphone or your PC and install Kodi onto it.
2. Then, connect your device of choice to Roku using your internet connection. You do this by going into Roku and opening the player settings, selecting System, looking for Screen Mirroring, and selecting this option.
3. Finally, install the mirroring option to connect the Roku app to your smartphone or PC. You can then watch your Kodi content on your LG Smart TV.
Option 4 – Use Raspberry Pi to get Kodi on LG Smart TV models
An extra option in your quest is to use Kodi on your LG Smart TV with Rasberry Pi. This is compatible with every LG Smart TV model on the market. To take this route, follow these steps or visit our full guide on how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi.
1. Access your Raspberry Pi card and format it. It has an inbuilt SD card which has a FAT32 format. Insert it into your computer.
2. Once you’ve formatted it, simply transfer your downloaded Kodi app to the card.
3. Use it to download Kodi to your operating system.
4. Choose an appropriate tool to write OPENLEC, which is an OS, to your card.
5. Then, plug in your Raspberry Pi card to the LG Smart TV.
6. You’ll now need to make a switch to Kodi. Do this by taking the input picker route that is provided on the TV and selecting the appropriate option.
Thanks to the Raspberry Pi card, you’ll then be able to start using Kodi instantly on your LG TV.
Benefits of installing Kodi on LG Smart TV models
You can get even more from your LG Smart TV when you install Kodi on to it, with benefits that include:
- An interactive, user-friendly interface
- The ability to switch quickly and seamlessly between your applications
- Seamless streaming, all in HD quality
- Exclusive, fresh content across all entertainment genres.
- Getting around geographical restrictions with a VPN.
All of these can be easily achieved with the help of add-ons. There are plenty to choose from, and you can easily browse the available options from the Kodi app.
Using Kodi add-ons on your LG Smart TV
You can begin to add the best Kodi add-ons once you’ve installed the software. To do this:
1. Go to the Kodi Home screen.
2. Head to settings and click on system.
3. Then, choose the add-ons tab.
4. Look for the Unknown Sources option and turn on apps.
You can now choose your favorite add-ons to install, depending on what tickles your fancy. Install these and begin enjoying your content whenever you like. There is a massive range of add-ons that you can select from, and each one has its own features and specialty focuses.
If you choose to use Kodi on your LG Smart TV, you’ll be able to experience a superb entertainment experience with a mind-boggling array of content at your disposal – all streamed in HD quality. Some users are initially a bit concerned about the ease of installing Kodi onto their LG Smart TV.
Still, it’s easy – especially with the different options described above. By taking the time to do so, your multimedia viewing experience will elevate to the next level, with a fantastic user interface and a vast array of content possibilities to enjoy.
Yes, it is marginally more challenging to use Kodi on your LG Smart TV compared to an alternative Smart TV model that uses Android. However, it’s well worth taking steps to do so, and we hope you’ll love the viewing experience you can enjoy as a result!
Remember to keep using your VPN so that your anonymity is preserved. You can continue to access the full range of content you want without giving away your identity and compromising your privacy. Read our guides to VPN systems to find out more and to safeguard your online activities.
You may also like to read:
- How to get unbanned from Omegle
- How to change Pokemon Go location
- How to change location with a VPN
- Best VPN for Crypto trading
- Best VPN for Pokerstars
- How to watch Tour de France online
- How to watch Formula 1 online
- How to watch HBO Max online
Can I install Kodi on LG 4K smart TV models?
Yes, absolutely. You can do this via your Android TV box and it’s easy to do. Simply:
1. Connect your LG 4K Smart TV to your Android TV box
2. Open Google Play in the Android TV box and look for the Kodi app. Install it.
3. The app will then automatically install to the Android TV box.
4. Simply open it and then use it to start checking out your chosen content on your LG 4K.
What do I need to know about the LG TV Upgrader when using Kodi?
The LG Smart TV upgrader will make sure you are always getting the most from your entertainment experience. You can upgrade Kodi easily. If you use Kodi via your paired Android device, then simply upgrade your installed version on the Android smartphone or PC. If you are choosing to watch Kodi on your LG TV by mirroring/casting it via Roku, then just update to the latest version of Kodi across both versions and they’ll show you the latest features.
How do I allow 3rd party apps on my LG Smart TV?
You can install 3rd party apps from the LG Content Store. However, you can’t install third-party apps directly from unknown sources. Instead, you can connect external devices, such as Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV, and stream third-party apps from there.
Can You Put Kodi on Smart TVs?
Yes, you can install Kodi on most Smart TVs with a supported operating system. If the OS is not supported, you can install Kodi on an external device and connect it to your Smart TV.
Does LG TV have Google Play store?
Sadly, LG TVs don’t have the Google Play store. Instead, they have the LG Content Store. If you want to access the Google Play store on an LG TV, you need to connect an Android TV box and go to the app store through there.