Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchange services in the United States. Many crypto newcomers and veterans alike are using the platform as their go-to trading hub.
However, though the service is insanely popular, it isn’t available worldwide and is subjected to geographical restrictions. Therefore, some cryptocurrency enthusiasts need to utilize a Coinbase VPN to access the platform.
Plus, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) has other advantages as well. With it, all of your online transactions remain private and untraceable. So don’t miss out on the ongoing crypto craze and pick the right provider to maintain your confidentiality.
Tops VPNs for Coinbase – shortlist
Here are the top five VPN choices if you want to avoid geo-restrictions and transfer your cryptocurrencies securely:
Best Coinbase VPN
VPN for Coinbase with unlimited connections
Well-rounded Coinbase VPN
The cheapest VPN for Coinbase
Coinbase VPN with dedicated IP
How to access Coinbase from any country
Can’t wait to dive into the world of crypto trading? Here’s how to access Coinbase with a VPN:
- Choose a privacy-respecting VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, currently 60% off!
- Pick a server in a country where Coinbase is available, for example, the United States
- Start trading crypto on Coinbase!
Why do you need a VPN for Coinbase?
Coinbase is a cryptocurrency exchange that is based in the United States. However, it offers its service in over 100 other countries as well. But many locations around the world still don’t have access to the platform. Plus, not every continent has the same capabilities when using the platform. For example, you can only exchange one cryptocurrency for another in some regions, while others have full trading capabilities.
As such, they need to utilize a VPN to get around geographical restrictions.
In short, a VPN works by rerouting your internet connection through an encrypted server in a remote country. That way, you can spoof your location and trick various online services into thinking that you’re located in a different place. You also gain the advantage of military-grade encryption, thus hiding your browsing habits from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), government agencies, and other unwelcome snoopers.
During this process, your home IP address is hidden behind the VPN server address. However, it’s important to remember that a constantly changing IP address could be interpreted as a red flag and that someone is trying to hack your account.
Luckily, most VPNs have a solution for this problem. It’s a dedicated IP address feature, and we highly recommend choosing a provider with it. Then, you can always connect to Coinbase with the same IP from anywhere around the world and not worry about getting locked out for security reasons.
Overview of the best VPNs for Coinbase
Here are our top Coinbase VPN recommendations. Each supports a wide range of devices, has military-grade encryption and a kill switch to prevent DNS leaks. However, keep in mind that a dedicated IP usually costs extra.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Coinbase
24/7 live chat, Email
- Excellent security
- Flawless privacy practices
- Fastest speeds
- Great server list (5400+ servers in 60 countries)
- Custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more
- Great app design and website
- 24/7 live chat and good knowledge-base
- Fair price
- Awesome for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- Great for China and other restricted countries
- No router app
NordVPN is the ultimate VPN for Coinbase. It’s located in privacy-respecting Panama, had its no-logs policy audited by a third party, and has excellent security and privacy features. Additionally, it even offers a dedicated IP option.
First, NordVPN has over 5400 servers in 60 countries. Furthermore, the service is by far the fastest VPN available with its NordLynx tunneling protocol. It is based on WireGuard yet manages to exceed it in terms of performance. Alternatively, you can also choose the tried-and-tested OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
In terms of security, NordVPN can protect you from annoying ads, online trackers, and other malicious domains with the CyberSec feature. Alternatively, you can use Obfuscated Servers to access your favorite websites even on the most restrictive networks. Meanwhile, P2P servers are available for top-notch speeds while torrenting.
NordVPN is also the best VPN for streaming. It can effortlessly get around geographical restrictions and unlock more content on services like Netflix, Hulu + Live TV, Amazon Prime Video, and more. Additionally, the fast connection speeds will allow you to watch TV shows and movies in UHD and 4K.
Once you’re ready to commit, you can give NordVPN a shot by grabbing a 7-day free trial on the Google Play Store. Once claimed, you can try out the service on six different devices simultaneously. After that, subscriptions start at $3.29/month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, you can even pay using cryptocurrencies.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Coinbase VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Strong encryption
- Excellent performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Almost zero logs
- 24/7 live chat
- Unlocks Netflix and other platforms
- Great for torrenting
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Supports plenty of platforms and devices
- Cutting-edge Nexus feature
- No-logs policy hasn't been audited
Another excellent VPN for Coinbase is Surfshark. This service is located in the Netherlands, has been independently audited numerous times, is jam-packed with features, and is quite affordable.
For starters, Surfshark has 3200 RAM-only servers in 65 countries worldwide. Secondly, it utilizes the lightning-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol to guarantee outstanding performance.
Furthermore, the CleanWeb feature will protect you against various ads, online trackers, and even malware. And while the service lacks a dedicated IP feature, it does offer a static IP option that’s available to all Surfshark users.
One of the best features of Surfshark is that you can connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. That means that you can share one account with your friends and family. This is perfect if you’re also sharing streaming service accounts because the VPN can easily unblock more content on these platforms.
Compatible services include Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. Alternatively, you’ll be happy to hear that the service does not restrict P2P traffic in any way.
To get started with Surfshark, you can grab a 7-day free trial on either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Naturally, you’ll be able to test out the VPN on any other device as well. And once the trial period is over, subscriptions start at $2.30/month and are secured with an additional 30-day money-back guarantee. Furthermore, you can purchase this VPN with the help of cryptocurrencies.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – well-rounded VPN for Coinbase
24/7 live chat
- Good security
- Mostly privacy-friendly
- Decent global coverage
- Fast speeds
- Apps for main platforms
- Very cheap
- Excellent for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- 7-day free trial
- Support could be more responsive
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
While it is based in Sweden – a member of the Fourteen Eyes alliance – PrivateVPN is trustworthy, has a solid no-logs policy, good performance, and an affordable price.
PrivateVPN operates a small network of 200+ servers in 63 countries. You will find specialized servers for streaming services, such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more. That means you’ll have an easy time getting around the geographical restrictions of these services. Plus, you can install the VPN on Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi, and routers.
On the technical side, PrivateVPN utilizes the OpenVPN tunneling protocol and has protection against IP and DNS leaks. Furthermore, torrenting fans will be glad to hear that the provider doesn’t limit P2P traffic in any way. Plus, it even has port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxy features.
You can test out PrivateVPN by getting a 7-day free trial from their website. After that, subscriptions start at $2.00/month and are also bundled with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN for Coinbase
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Free version
- Good security
- Unlimited devices
- Great for streaming
- Allows torrenting
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- MultiHop+ (VPN chaining)
- Few countries
- Apps lack features
If you want to save as much money as possible to trade on Coinbase, you should go with Atlas VPN. It is the cheapest VPN on this list, fast, secure, and with a strict no-logs policy.
Atlas VPN has a network of 750+ servers across 37 countries. You can choose between WireGuard and the IKEv2 tunneling protocols, although we recommend using the latter in all cases. Plus, you can partake in P2P activities on any server without worrying about restrictions.
Atlas VPN is also a good choice for streaming. It can avoid geographical restrictions on some of the most popular streaming websites, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max.
A single Atlas VPN subscription allows you unlimited simultaneous connections. This is a rare feat even among the best Coinbase VPNs.
You can start using Atlas VPN by subscribing for only $1.99/month. There’s even a free version to try some of the features without entering your payment details. Additionally, premium plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. PureVPN – VPN for Coinbase with a dedicated IP
24/7 live chat
- Large server list with 20 Gbps options
- Unblocks Netflix and other platforms
- Temptingly low pricing
- Good range of supported platforms
- Advanced port forwarding
- Great 24/7 live chat support
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Anonymous payment options
- No kill switch for iOS
PureVPN is for those who are looking for a jack-of-all-trades Coinbase VPN. This provider is relatively cheap, based in Hong Kong, has an expansive server network, and offers a dedicated IP as an optional extra.
PureVPN has the largest server network on this list, with over 6500 servers across 140 countries. As for tunneling protocols, you can choose between OpenVPN and IKEv2. Furthermore, it comes equipped with split tunneling, geo-unblocking capabilities, P2P servers, and other optional features.
With a single PureVPN subscription, you can secure up to ten different devices simultaneously. However, that becomes irrelevant once you set up your home router with a VPN. Then you could take advantage of the DD-WRT applet that the service offers. Furthermore, you can also install the VPN directly on Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, or Kodi.
Subscriptions for PureVPN start at $1.99/month and are secured with a 31-day money-back guarantee. Thankfully, you can also grab a 7-day trial for only $0.99.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
Best aspects of each Coinbase VPN
Just to reiterate, here are the best features that make these VPN services the top options for Coinbase. Each has its own set of benefits that will be useful in other situations as well.
|NordVPN||The best VPN for Coinbase|
|Surfshark VPN||Coinbase VPN with unlimited connections|
|PrivateVPN||Well-rounded VPN for Coinbase|
|Atlas VPN||The cheapest VPN for Coinbase|
|PureVPN||Affordable Coinbase VPN with dedicated IP|
What makes Coinbase so special?
Coinbase is a cryptocurrency exchange platform that is based in the United States. It started in 2012 as a service to buy and sell Bitcoin via bank transfers but has grown substantially since then. Nowadays, it supports various cryptocurrencies and can be used in over 100 countries worldwide.
Although getting started with Coinbase is free for everyone, Coinbase Pro is one of the best ways to trade cryptocurrencies effectively and securely. With it, you have insurance over your digital wallet, can monitor market data in real-time, and trading fees are relatively low, especially if you’re trading in large volumes.
Currently, Coinbase is one of the most popular crypto exchanges available and is used by newcomers and veterans globally. Quarterly trade volume is around $400 billion, and there are well over 60 million verified users on the platform.
Countries where Coinbase is available
|North America||Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, British Virgin Islands|
|South America||Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay|
|Europe||Andorra, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom|
|Asia||Armenia, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong, India, Jordan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Macao, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Uzbekistan|
|Africa||Angola, Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia|
How to choose a VPN for Coinbase
When deciding between different VPN providers for Coinbase, it’s important to remember that not just any service will do. Here are some essential aspects that you should consider:
- Privacy. Cryptocurrencies aren’t 100% private by themselves. You need a VPN to hide your IP address. Plus, it should be located in a privacy-respecting jurisdiction, have a solid no-logs policy, ideally one that a third party has audited.
- Security. Cryptocurrency users are frequently the victims of hacks and other online threats. As such, a VPN should provide adequate protection against a wide range of dangers, such as malware, phishing scams, trackers, and more.
- Servers. Coinbase is subjected to geographical restrictions in certain parts of the world. Therefore, you need a service with a vast server network so you could change your location with a VPN to an area where Coinbase doesn’t have any limitations.
- Speed. A good connection is vital to a pleasant browsing experience. Thus, it’s crucial to choose a fast VPN provider.
- Dedicated IP. As mentioned earlier, Coinbase could restrict your account if you keep connecting from a different IP. That’s why you should choose a VPN provider with a dedicated IP feature.
- Price. A well-rounded VPN with good security features and privacy practices will have a substantial price tag. Therefore, you should get familiar with the various costs of a VPN to make the most informed decision.
Can’t access Coinbase with a VPN?
If you’re having trouble accessing Coinbase with a VPN, there are a few things you can do to ensure that everything is working correctly:
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. Make sure that your VPN is doing its job not leaking your actual IP address. You can check for leaks on various websites online, such as browserleaks.com.
- Reconnect to a different server. If you’re not using a dedicated IP address, perhaps the publicly available IP from which you’re connecting is already blocked. In that case, you need to try your luck from a different one.
- Change tunneling protocols. Sometimes you need to switch VPN tunneling protocols to get around geo-restrictions. This will depend on your chosen VPN provider.
- Check your antivirus or firewall settings. If you’re using separate antivirus software, it could be interfering with your VPN connection. Plus, you should also check your firewall configuration and see if it’s not blocking VPN traffic.
Free VPN for Coinbase
While some free VPN services are helpful in certain situations, we can’t recommend them with Coinbase.
First off, many might not have server locations in countries where Coinbase isn’t blocked. Furthermore, they usually don’t have the necessary security features to prevent DNS or IP leaks. Meaning that if you’re using a VPN to get around geographical restrictions, your actual location could get revealed and your account suspended.
Alternatively, a leaky VPN will also expose your actual IP address and leave your transactions traceable back to you.
But if you’re adamant about trying out a free VPN service, we believe a few providers are reliable. Plus, each one has servers in the US, making them perfect for accessing Coinbase.
- ProtonVPN is one of the best free VPN services. It’s based in Switzerland, had its no-logs policy audited by a third party, and has an excellent array of security and privacy features. Furthermore, the premium plans are pretty affordable and come in tiers, so you could pick the perfect plan for yourself.
- Atlas VPN is another excellent option as the free plan offers three server locations, unlimited data, and good security features. Plus, the mobile version has data breach monitoring, which will notify you if you’re ever the victim of a data leak.
- Windscribe VPN has its fair share of downsides, such as a 10 GB/month data cap. However, the free plan comes with robust security features and a wide range of server locations. Furthermore, subscription plans are customizable and start at $1/month.
While Coinbase is available in 100+ countries, not all of them have the same capabilities to trade. That’s why you need a VPN for Coinbase to take full advantage of it and maximize your crypto-trading experience.
Of course, it’s essential to pick a VPN that has the necessary security practices to guarantee confidentiality while trading. Otherwise, you’re missing out on the privacy that’s needed for every cryptocurrency enthusiast.
What’s your go-to VPN for Coinbase? Share your experience by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for crypto trading
How to pay for a VPN anonymously
Should I leave my VPN on all the time?
Best VPN for Kraken
Best VPN for Roobet
Best VPN for Colombia
Best VPN that accepts Bitcoins
Can I use VPN for Coinbase?
Coinbase does not explicitly ban VPN users, but switching your IP constantly could trigger their security measures and your account could be locked. Therefore, it is advisable to use a VPN with a dedicated IP address.
Can I buy crypto with a VPN?
Yes, you can buy cryptocurrencies with a VPN. In fact, it’s even recommended as using crypto without a VPN exposes your real IP address to the publicly available blockchain.
Is buying crypto with a VPN illegal?
No, using a VPN to protect your identity while making online transactions is perfectly legal in most parts of the world. However, some authoritarian countries are an exception.
Does Coinbase work outside the US?
Yes, Coinbase works in over 100 countries around the world. However, not every country has the same capabilities on the platform. For example, in some countries, you can only exchange cryptocurrencies and not buy or sell them.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.