Nowadays, conventional media viewing methods don’t provide the convenience that modern users desire. Which is why we need devices like the Nvidia Shield. It combines the best aspects of video streaming and cloud gaming in one neat package. Unfortunately, the services on it are still plagued by geographical limitations.
Luckily, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for Nvidia Shield TV can remedy such restrictions and grant bonus security benefits. It works by redirecting your web connection through a remote server, hiding your IP address and true location. However, not every VPN is suitable for this state-of-the-art device. That is why we hand-picked the top five VPNs for Nvidia Shield that are compatible and easy to set up.
Best VPN for Nvidia Shield: shortlist
- The best VPN for Nvidia Shield9.7
- Nvidia Shield VPN with Smart DNS9.4
- Well-rounded VPN for Nvidia Shield9.0
- Nvidia Shield VPN with ransomware protection8.8
- Most affordable Nvidia Shield VPN8.6
How to download a VPN for Nvidia Shield
- Sign up for a VPN with an Android TV app. Our top choice is NordVPN, available for 68% off!
- Boot up your Nvidia Shield and visit the Apps menu
- Download your VPN app from the Google Play Store
- Open the VPN and log in
- Connect to a server in another country
- Enjoy the full potential of Nvidia Shield!
Why do you need a VPN for Nvidia Shield?
A VPN for Nvidia Shield device can do many things and patch up frustrating flaws. For example, a virtual private network can assist with:
- Unblocking geographically restricted TV shows, movies, or video games
- Securing your online activities from your internet service provider (ISP)
- Preventing phishing attacks and malware from entering your device
- Blocking malicious ads and online trackers
In fact, some of the best VPN services are exceptionally versatile and market leaders on multiple fronts. They do this by offering inexpensive subscriptions that unlock multiple simultaneous connections and a huge selection of apps for different devices.
But how does a VPN work and do all these miracles? In short, it reroutes your web connection through an AES-256 cipher-encrypted server in another region. This process hides your IP address and alters your virtual location. Then your real whereabouts are masked, web activities unreadable, and geo-blocks a thing of the past.
5 Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield: overview
- NordVPN – the Best VPN for Nvidia Shield
- Surfshark VPN – Nvidia Shield VPN with Smart DNS
- PrivateVPN – well-rounded VPN for Nvidia Shield
- IPVanish – Nvidia Shield VPN with ransomware protection
- AtlasVPN – most affordable Nvidia Shield VPN
First and foremost, a VPN for Nvidia Shield TV needs a dedicated Android TV app. Alternatively, you can learn how to set up a router with a VPN and secure all devices on your home network. Most importantly, a virtual private network is nothing without DNS leak prevention, an extensive server fleet, and swift tunneling protocols.
The top five Nvidia Shield VPNs that we selected include these benefits. Read their detailed descriptions below and choose one that’s most appealing to you.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Nvidia Shield
24/7 live chat, Email
- Compatible with Android TV
- Independently audited and secure
- Fastest VPN on the market
- No router app
The ultimate reinforcement for the Nvidia Shield is NordVPN. It has dedicated apps for Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and provides market-leading digital security. You can give it a shot by claiming the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
NordVPN customers can select from 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. The majority of those servers utilize RAM-only technology to prevent the long-term need for data storage on hard drives. Meanwhile, minimal connection speed loss is guaranteed with the one-of-a-kind proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Most streaming enthusiasts are eager to unlock extra content on platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer. NordVPN works wonderfully with these and countless other services. Moreover, the VPN will keep you safe from viruses, trackers, and malware with the help of Threat Protection. On the other hand, online censorship becomes a mere afterthought once Obfuscated servers are enabled.
Appealing $3.09/month subscription prices are available when utilizing a valid NordVPN coupon code. And no need to worry about buyer’s remorse because a 30-day money-back guarantee safety net has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Nvidia Shield VPN with Smart DNS
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- Smart DNS for app-free geo-unblocking
- Packed with awesome features
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is the ideal VPN for protecting Nvidia Shield and a fleet of countless other devices with unbreakable digital security. This provider grants limitless simultaneous connections and a wide selection of crucial features. Go for a joyride with this VPN by claiming the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
Firstly, Surfshark operates a network of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 95+ countries. Additionally, its Nexus feature is breaking new ground by utilizing software-defined networking to connect users to an entire server network rather than separate servers each time. This improves overall performance and unlocks features like IP Rotator that can intermittently alter your IP address without interruptions.
Not all devices out there are compatible with virtual private network software. Thankfully, most VPN providers came up with a workaround in the form of router compatibility. Surfshark goes a step further and provides Smart DNS. With it, users can alter DNS settings and access geo-blocked content without installing VPN software. This method works with Nvidia Shield and other gaming consoles or smart TVs.
Using a Surfshark discount code unlocks $2.30/month starting prices. Don’t hesitate to try this VPN since all purchases are protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – well-rounded VPN for Nvidia Shield
24/7 live chat
- Cheap and multi-purpose
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 7-day free trial
- Support could be more responsive
With PrivateVPN, customers can use the same app for mobile devices and Android TV. It looks great on both large and tiny screens and is compatible with Nvidia Shield. Besides that, it’s exceptionally versatile and provides a solid price-to-performance ratio.
PrivateVPN performs surprisingly well with a tiny fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. The secret behind this effectiveness is complete hardware ownership and HQN (High Quality Network) purchasing from IP transit providers. Plus, the use of the old and reliable OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
Besides streaming and gaming connoisseurs, PrivateVPN should appeal to torrenting enthusiasts. The service grants the rare port forwarding feature for improved performance when downloading files with a handful of seeders. Additionally, P2P traffic is completely unrestricted in all server locations.
Snag a PrivateVPN coupon and purchase a subscription for only $2.00/month. If you’re still unsure, consider the 7-day free trial. And don’t forget that each plan includes 30-day money-return insurance.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Nvidia Shield VPN with ransomware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Limitless device connections
- Protection against ransomware and malware
- Fast streaming with WireGuard
- No anonymous payment options
Well-equipped VPNs like IPVanish can circumvent geo-blocks on Nvidia Shield TV while also protecting devices against ransomware and malware. Best of all, one subscription grants unlimited simultaneous connections, ensuring complete security for everything you own.
IPVanish runs a network of 2000+ servers across 50+ regions. Near flawless connectivity is guaranteed since the provider owns all hardware and doesn’t require third-party providers. Plus, all apps come equipped with the modern and open-source WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Although based in the US, a founding member of the Five Eyes alliance, IPVanish had a third-party audit of its no-logs policy. Additionally, customers can activate OpenVPN traffic scrambling to dodge firewalls that block VPN traffic. Meanwhile, split tunneling is available on Android devices for selecting which apps should gain the benefits of a VPN.
Utilizing an IPVanish discount code unlocks $3.33/month starting subscription prices. And if the service isn’t up to your standards, you can always take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – most affordable Nvidia Shield VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Dedicated Android TV app
- Loaded with features
- No router configuration
One of the cheapest Nvidia Shield virtual private networks is Atlas VPN. It’s surprisingly fast, secure, and packed with numerous benefits for any use case.
Atlas VPN customers have their pick from 750+ servers in 37+ countries. These servers are further split into regular, streaming, and Privacy Pro categories, allowing you to easily select the right one for your intended purposes. Naturally, connection speed reduction is minimal when using the cutting-edge WireGuard protocol.
Potential buyers can get a taste of this service by trying out the free version of Atlas VPN first. However, it’s crucial to note that it comes with certain limitations. For example, the Android TV app isn’t included, and there’s a 10 GB monthly data cap. Instead, you can try it on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS devices.
Snag the most affordable $1.83/month subscription using an Atlas VPN discount code. And remember that a 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
Nvidia Shield TV versions
Nvidia Shield TV has a few iterations with some major differences. They’re distinguishable by release year and whether it’s a standard or Pro model. Some have more storage space, which is perfect if you want to hoard loads of different movies or video games. Naturally, some things are universal across all models. For example, all are based on Android TV and work with our recommended VPN providers. We’ll outline a few key aspects below.
- 2015 Nvidia Shield TV. The first release of the Nvidia Shield TV set the bar pretty high. Like future models, it features a remote, gaming controller, video upscaling to 4K, support for various audio codecs, and much more. It granted 8GB of storage space on the basic model and a staggering 500GB on the Pro model.
- 2017 Nvidia Shield TV. The second generation of the Nvidia Shield provided similar benefits as the previous model. However, the size of the device was reduced by roughly 40%, but that didn’t impact storage space. It also changed the gaming controller design.
- 2019 Nvidia Shield TV. The latest Nvidia Shield features a measly 8GB of memory on the standard model, while the upgraded Pro version provides 16GB. It’s distinguished by its cylindrical design over the previous angular versions. Furthermore, it’s upgraded with the latest Tegra X1+ chipset that grants faster GPU clock rate with lowered heat output and power consumption. We recommend shelling out an additional $50 for the Pro version, which grants more system memory, more connections, and better support for Plex (What is Plex?).
Keep in mind that Nvidia officially sells only the latest version. Prices vary between $149 and $199. Meanwhile, older models are available on Amazon or similar marketplaces where you can buy pre-owned devices.
How to set up a VPN for Nvidia Shield TV
There are two ways of setting up a VPN on Nvidia Shield TV:
- Downloading the Android TV app from the Google Play Store
- Installing the VPN through an APK file
The first is very convenient and possible with our suggested providers, while the second is a backup in case the service doesn’t have an Android TV app on the Google Play Store.
If these two methods are unavailable, you can simply install a VPN on your home router and connect the Nvidia Shield to it. Remember, you’ll have a harder time switching between country locations using this workaround.
How to download a VPN on Nvidia Shield
- Subscribe to a VPN with an Android TV app. We recommend NordVPN, the best VPN overall
- Boot up Nvidia Shield and visit the Apps menu
- Visit the Google Play Store and search for your VPN provider
- Download the VPN to your Nvidia Shield
- Open the VPN app and log in
- Connect to a nearby server for peak performance or a different country to unblock foreign content
How to install a VPN on Nvidia Shield with an APK file
- Purchase a VPN that provides APK files. Our top choice is NordVPN
- Visit the official website of your VPN and download the Android APK file onto a USB flash drive
- Securely disconnect the flash drive from your computer
- Go to the Settings menu on your Nvidia Shield and select Security and Restrictions
- Allow Unknown Sources
- Visit the Google Play Store and download an Android file manager (e.g. FX File Explorer)
- Connect the USB drive into the Nvidia Shield
- Use the file explorer app and navigate to the USB drive
- Open the APK file
- Once installation is complete, choose Open and start watching
What should I look for in a VPN for Nvidia Shield?
Since there’s an unfathomable abundance of VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV options, we must clarify what criteria we paid attention to when choosing this list.
- Compatibility. First and foremost, we picked VPNs that offer dedicated apps for Android TV, the system that powers Nvidia Shield. Without them, you’ll need to resort to APK files or router configuration. Otherwise, there’s no chance of unblocking geographically restricted content.
- Speed. Streaming VPNs need swift connectivity to ensure lag-free and high-definition video delivery. Top-of-the-line tunneling protocols like WireGuard are needed to guarantee a pleasant viewing experience.
- Servers. VPN users can only access foreign content if a provider has numerous servers across the globe. Plus, more servers equals less traffic congestion and improved performance.
- Security. A virtual private network can guarantee protection against digital threats via additional security features that block trackers, ads, malware, and more. Such features are less relevant for Nvidia Shield but crucial for desktop and mobile devices.
- Privacy. Effective stealth against governments, ISPs, and other nosy interlopers is guaranteed when a VPN has a solid no-logs policy. Bonus points for third-party audits and jurisdiction outside the Fourteen Eyes alliance.
- Price. The best VPN services aren’t necessarily the ones with the beefiest price tag. Search for VPN discount codes to net yourself enormous savings on long-term subscriptions.
- Customer support. Setting up a VPN on various devices can be tricky if you’re cursed with jazz hands. Luckily, customer service experts are available 24/7 via live chat to provide guidance in these trying times.
Best free VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV
Unfortunately, there’s practically no free VPN that’s viable with Nvidia Shield TV. No-cost virtual private networks are riddled with compatibility issues that make it impossible to use them with Android TV. Besides that, they’re notorious for:
- Monthly or daily data caps
- Bandwidth limitations and slow connections
- Abysmally small server networks
- Outdated technology and security features
- Potential data logging and selling
- Ad and malware injection
As you can see, installing a free VPN on Nvidia Shield poses more risks than benefits. Instead, we recommend opting for a cheap VPN provider because even those have the necessary features and reliability for optimal streaming or online gaming.
A solid VPN for Nvidia Shield TV requires compatibility with Android TV since the device is based on that system. Besides that, fast connection speeds, geo-block circumvention, and top-notch security features are crucial for providing a pleasant experience. Our top choice is NordVPN, but don’t hesitate to try out our recommended alternatives as well.
What Nvidia Shield model and VPN combo are you using? Are you satisfied with the results? Share your experience and leave a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
Best VPNs for Twitch
How to unblock websites
How to watch NBC without cable
How to watch CBS from anywhere
How to watch Hulu outside the US
Best VPN for Netflix
Does NordVPN work on Nvidia Shield?
Yes, NordVPN works on Nvidia Shield. You simply have to subscribe to the service and download the dedicated Android TV app from the Google Play Store. Once installed, log in with your credentials and connect to a server in any country.
Can I use a VPN on Nvidia Shield?
Yes, there are no issues with using a VPN on Nvidia Shield. The best option is to install an Android TV app directly from the Google Play Store. Alternatively, you can install an Android APK file or connect the device to a VPN-configured router network.
How do I get American Netflix on Nvidia Shield?
Firstly, you need a VPN that can change your Netflix region to the US and unblock geo-restricted content. Install the VPN on your Nvidia Shield TV, connect to a server in the US, then launch Netflix. You should now see TV shows and movies exclusive to Netflix US.