If you decided to say goodbye to your old cable box, it’s possible that you ended up with Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV or Fire Cube devices that make streaming incredibly easy. They can bring you tons of the most popular TV shows directly to your screen, that is if you’re not limited by geo-restrictions.
With a VPN for Fire Stick, you can avoid all the restrictions and blocks that apply to your IP or location.
Unless you’re living in the US, a lot of content is locked to you – this is where a VPN comes in. You can connect through a VPN server in the US to gain access. With the right VPN app for Amazon Fire Stick, you can bypass geo-blocking and make your online presence more secure.
Here are the Top 5 picks that ended up on our best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick list:
- Number of simultaneous connections: 6
- Pricing: starts at $3.49/month
- Features: you can quickly choose between countries and specialty servers; navigate the VPN app using a remote; supports Amazon Kindle Fire devices
NordVPN has world-class security and privacy features that easily make it the best VPN for Amazon Firestick. This service is famous for its capability and dedication to streaming media and torrenting.
What puts the VPN provider on top, however, is its recent increase in connection speed – NordVPN is currently the fastest on the market. This is essential when choosing a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix or any other media platform/center.
We also enjoy that there are numerous additional features like SmartPlay that combine the best properties of the VPN and Smart DNS technologies. Try NordVPN now with their free trial to test out their performance and unlock the full potential of your Amazon Fire device.
2. Surfshark VPN
- Number of simultaneous connections: unlimited
- Pricing: starts at $1.99/month
- Features: connections are fast enough for Fire TV Stick 4K; native apps for all devices; Smart DNS
You don’t need to have the most servers on the market – sometimes having them properly configured is enough. SurfShark boasts a moderate 1000+ servers in 60+ countries, but the speeds are amazing. We never hand to wait for a video to buffer, even when streaming UHD (4K) content.
Surfshark makes it easy to unblock Netflix and other streaming media channels and has great security features.
AES-256 encryption, a strong kill switch, and powerful anti-censorship features in the form of Camouflage Mode and No Borders Mode make Surfshark great for any situation.
You can even use Surfshark for torrenting as all servers allow P2P traffic.
- Number of simultaneous connections: 10
- Pricing: starts at $4.87/month
- Features: more than 40,000 IP addresses; protocols that protect you from being targeted by ads; works with multiple platforms
IPVanish provides a solid service with over 1300+ servers in 50+ countries. It offers 256-bit AES encryption, a SOCKS5 web proxy and top of the line tunneling protocols. This provider also has self-owned VPN servers, making you as safe as it gets.
The fact that IPVanish doesn’t rely on third-party servers also ensures great speeds. For you, this means that watching UHD (4K) content is likely to be seamless. This is great news if you have a compatible TV.
You’ll find several sites placing this VPN as the number one VPN for Amazon Firestick. And indeed, you can use IPVanish for streaming on all popular media platforms. It has fair pricing plans for what it has to offer. However, this FireStick VPN isn’t as universal as some of the others.
- Number of simultaneous connections: 7
- Pricing: starts at $2.75/month
- Features: largest server pool of all VPNs, many in-depth guides on their website, specialized servers for streaming
CyberGhost is a market-leading VPN for Amazon Fire Stick that has all the good security and privacy features and can protect your anonymity online.
Should you have any technical difficulties accessing a server for streaming Netflix or BBC iPlayer, the 24/7/365 live chat support can help you solve these. If you’d prefer a DIY approach, there are many helpful how-to guides with pictures on their website.
CyberGhost has an impressive number of servers (6200+) in 90+ countries. The speeds will let you enjoy HD and 4K (UHD) streaming to watch your favorite show in the highest resolution possible.
Grab CyberGhost’s 24-hour free trial to test this VPN service.
- Number of simultaneous connections: 5
- Pricing: starts at $6.67/month
- Features: MediaStreamer Smart DNS, navigate it using your remote, Android app to make installing in on Fire TV devices super simple
ExpressVPN has superb security and privacy features with a true no-logs policy. The latter has also been proven in a real-life example. This VPN can access all popular streaming platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
The Split Tunneling feature is great if you want to limit your VPN use to your browser or torrent app.
While ExpressVPN is often considered an all-around market leader, it is quite expensive as a FireStick VPN and has no free trial. With that said, you definitely get your money’s worth. Also, you can safely try ExpressVPN using their 30-day money-back guarantee.
Would you like to try Express for a month and get your money back? Why not?
Why you need a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick?
The benefit of finding the best VPN for Fire Stick is twofold. First, by spoofing your location, you get to unblock geographically locked web content and popular streaming sites. Second, your internet traffic gets encrypted and thus, impossible to read or identify.
Of course, we don’t claim that all VPNs will let you stream all possible media centers. The war on proxy and VPN users is serious – these streaming services do everything in their power to keep content restricted.
The good news is that leading VPN providers do their best to install new IP addresses and servers, including dedicated streaming IPs to make sure that the streaming experience remains seamless.
In fact, a decent VPN for Fire Stick is like a magical key that unlocks the door of entertainment.
How to choose a VPN for Fire TV Stick?
Before we share what we believe the most important criteria for a VPN for Fire Stick should be, let’s clarify something. We’ve found numerous user comments and complaints on Amazon about some VPNs not working with 1st generation Fire Sticks. The truth is, there’s a good chance that most VPN services can’t work on the older Fire Stick models.
In fact, some providers clearly state that they only support 2nd generation Fire Sticks and later.
If that’s the case, don’t be surprised that you can’t get it to work with your 1st generation Fire Stick.
Apart from the VPN working properly on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, there are a few other things to consider. If you want the best and safest VPN, that is.
- Level of privacy and security: a true no-logs policy and a good variety of protocols and features.
- VPN speed: excellent global server coverage is one of the contributing factors.
- Efficient streaming site unblocker: a good streamer VPN should access Netflix US/UK, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and other media streaming sites as well.
- Native support: VPN app for Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV or Fire Cube devices should be readily available to provide an easy installation.
- Excellent live chat support: since using a VPN to stream geo-blocked content is not without potential technical issues, make sure your VPN service has excellent live chat support. It could save you time and a lot of unnecessary headaches.
- Feature-unlimited free trial version: to experiment before investing your money.
- No questions asked full money-back guarantee: if there’s no free trial, this may well be an alternative solution to not lose any money after testing a VPN.
The difference between 1st and 2nd generation Fire TV Devices
Since its release in 2014, Fire TV Stick has continued to improve. The most recent version is the 4K edition released in 2018.
If you have a genuine Amazon Fire TV Stick, it’s going to be one of these types:
- Fire TV Stick 1st gen (released in 2014, discontinued and doesn’t support VPNs)
- Fire TV Stick 2nt gen (released in 2016, still available)
- Fire TV Stick Basic Edition (released in 2017, an upgrade of the 2nd gen and only available for non-US customers, available)
- Fire TV Stick 4K (released in 2018, available)
You can easily tell them apart by looking at the size of the device and the remote control. 1st gen is the shortest and has a basic remote. 2nd gen is longer and has a microphone that allows voice control.
The Fire TV Stick Basic Edition is the same size as the 2nd edition but has the same size remote as the 1st edition as it lacks voice control functionality. Fire TV Stick 4K is the largest of them all and doesn’t have an Amazon logo on the side of the device, plus its remote is completely revamped.
How to install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Installing a VPN on a 2nd generation Fire Stick
Your job is pretty easy and straightforward if you’re installing a VPN for a 2nd+ generation Fire Stick.
1. On the Home screen, choose Apps,
2. Select Categories, and then, Utility. (As an alternative, you can also use the Search field on the Home screen.)
3. Now, search for your chosen VPN.
4. Download and install it.
5. Launch the app, log in with your username and password.
6. Finally, connect to a server anywhere in the world.
The whole process is really that simple.
Installing a VPN for a 1st generation Fire Stick
However, since the 1st generation Fire Stick doesn’t support VPNs, it’s a bit trickier to get one working. Truth be told, the old stick simply doesn’t have enough processing power to tackle VPN encryption. No wonder why providers don’t bother. Still, if you get lucky and your VPN doesn’t use too much processing power, chances are you may succeed. But don’t expect flawless streaming.
Let’s see the necessary steps to install a VPN for the old Fire Sticks. First of all, you’ll need an application called Downloader on your device. Then, the rest is quite similar to the above steps:
- On the Home screen, choose the Settings menu.
- Select System.
- Click on Developer Options.
- Switch on Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging.
- Return to the Home screen.
- Search for the Downloader app and install it.
- Run the Downloader app and enter the download URL of your VPN app APK file.
- Install the VPN, launch it, log in with your account details.
- Connect to a VPN location of your choice to spoof your whereabouts and start streaming away.
Keep in mind that there’s no guarantee that a VPN will work consistently with a 1st gen Fire Stick – if at all.
Is Free VPN for Amazon FireStick a good option?
Since you’re cord-cutting, you should already be aware of how sensitive your device is to internet speed drops. With free VPNs, your performance is likely to suffer. That is if you will manage to unblock the streaming service. And even if you do, there are no guarantees that your usage data will not be sold to third parties. This is known to have happened with Hola VPN.
There are other issues like bandwidth caps that free services use to limit how much data goes through their servers. It might also happen that the free service will try to sell you their premium servers with better speeds. We recommend choosing a reputable provider as they deliver the best quality service even if you’re paying a tiny bit every month. Your privacy has value and only the best providers can ensure that it is truly safe. For reputable VPN providers check our list of free VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick.
Amazon Fire TV Stick FAQ
In all cases, it’s better to go to the provider’s web page for such information – providers are different and not all will be compatible. In general, if you can find an app on the Amazon Appstore, you can be pretty certain that the VPN works with Fire TV Stick.
A VPN removes all imposed geo-blocks which prevent you from looking at TV Shows and movies which otherwise would be unavailable. Using a VPN is the only way that you can enjoy the entertainment you’re paying for to the fullest.