Modern Family is a Primetime Emmy-winning TV series that follows the quirky family ties of the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan in Los Angeles. It’s one of the most famous, long-running American sitcoms enjoying critical acclaim. But if you don’t have cable and want to watch Modern Family online, things get a little tricky.
It used to be available on Netflix, but it is not the case anymore. Now, Hulu is the primary streaming platform offering all seasons of Modern Family. Just for the US, though. Still, we have a workaround so you can stream Modern Family any season, anytime, anywhere with the right technology – Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
How to watch Modern Family with a VPN
- Sign up for a premium VPN service. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Download the VPN client and install it on your device
- Connect to a server in a region where Modern Family is available
- Stream this mockumentary sitcom today!
Shortlist of the best VPNs to watch Modern Family
- The best VPN to watch Modern Family9.7
- Modern Family VPN with top-notch privacy9.5
- Affordable VPN to stream Modern Family9.0
- Modern Family VPN with a free version8.9
- VPN for Modern Family with malware protection8.6
Why do you need a VPN to watch Modern Family?
As is the case with many shows and movies, Modern Family is only available on certain streaming services. For those wanting to watch all 11 seasons, their best bet is to get a Hulu subscription and start there. The problem is that Hulu is only available in the US.
Living outside the United States of America? Not a problem – just utilize a premium VPN. This technology changes your IP address and encrypts all traffic, making it look like you live in another country. Once the streaming platform recognizes the “right” IP, it lets you access the website and enjoy geo-blocked content.
What’s more, VPNs are useful for online safety & privacy in general. No third parties, like your Internet Service Provider (ISP), can snoop on your internet activities. You’re also less likely to suffer at the hands of hackers since they can’t target what they can’t see. And, finally, they’re beneficial if you live in internet-restrictive regions.
Best VPNs to watch Modern Family online
For the best viewing experience, the streaming VPN of your choice must have an extensive server fleet. With as many US connection points as possible, of course. Then you can’t forget the latest tunneling protocols like WireGuard that ensure superb video quality and zero lag.
Because Hulu and plenty of other platforms ban VPN traffic if detected, you need the essential VPN features to avoid it. Another factor is broad device compatibility, which ensures you can watch Modern Family on any household device. Multiple simultaneous connections are incredibly useful for that.
1. NordVPN – #1 VPN for Modern Family
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx for lightning-fast speeds
- SmartPlay to unlock streaming platforms
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for watching Modern Family on Hulu and other streaming services. It comes with a robust toolkit that will keep you safe under wraps no matter what you’re doing online. Plus, there are 6 simultaneous connections and the option to manually configure the VPN on your router for unlimited device coverage.
The extensive network of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries offers suitable connection points on all continents. And the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures a 4K quality, buffer-free experience. Surveillance-wary fold will be happy to find all standard servers are RAM-only, meaning they can’t store data long-term.
With NordVPN, Hulu isn’t the only platform you’ll unlock. We’re talking about foreign Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video libraries. Then there’s this nifty SmartPlay feature that allows you to bypass geo-blocks on devices that natively don’t support VPN software.
Apply a NordVPN discount code to pay no more than $3.09/month to watch Modern Family from anywhere. Feel free to take this VPN out for a spin first with the 7-day free trial version. Or dive in from the get-go, protected by the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Modern Family VPN with exceptional privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Smart DNS for smooth streaming
- WireGuard for wicked speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another great option for streaming Modern Family is Surfshark VPN. This provider has a lot of things going for it – no device limit, extra features for circumventing censorship, a no-logs policy, and more. You’ll smash through tough geo-blocks from home and on the go.
The VPN boasts a truly global coverage with its network of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 95+ countries. No annoying lag will ruin your shows either when the next-gen WireGuard protocol is available. Of course, low latency is also guaranteed with Software Defined Networking (SDN), introduced with the Nexus update.
Surfshark can unlock all streaming platforms Modern Family is available on, and then some. Other region-specific services like BBC iPlayer or Hotstar aren’t off the table either. The cherry on top is that you can peruse their libraries on devices with no native VPN support, thanks to the Smart DNS feature.
Coming at $2.21/month after utilizing a Surfshark VPN coupon, it’s a superb VPN for all your streaming needs. Curious cats can take advantage of the free 7-day trial to see what the hype is all about. And then subscribe, knowing they can get a refund with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for Modern Family with great device compatibility
24/7 live chat
- User-friendly apps
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Excellent geo-unblocking capabilities
- Lacks WireGuard
Scale-wise, PrivateVPN is modest. But when it comes to accessing restricted content like Modern Family, it’s a powerhouse. This service doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, offers versatile features, and lets you simultaneously secure up to 10 devices to boot. What’s more, you can purchase subscriptions using Bitcoin.
The network of 200+ servers scattered across 63+ countries is more than enough to get the job done. While there is no WireGuard on the tunneling protocol list, the trusted OpenVPN, combined with High Quality Network (HQN), makes streams extra smooth. The fact the company owns all hardware adds extra reliability points.
You can use PrivateVPN on all major operating systems, plus Android TVs and Amazon FireStick devices. And when you’re done binge-watching Modern Family, freely explore what other platforms have to offer. HBO Max, CBC, Channel 4, and other streaming services are within your grasp.
$2.00/month is pocket change, especially when you’re getting a great VPN to stream anything you want. Just don’t forget to enter a PrivateVPN code before finalizing the purchase for a better price. Test the service beforehand with the 7-day free trial or commit risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN to watch Modern Family
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Best free version
- Unlocks popular streaming platforms
- No device limit
- No router configuration
Enjoy flawless video quality when viewing Modern Family with Atlas VPN, which offers dedicated streaming servers. Besides that, subscribers get unlimited simultaneous connections, excellent performance, and streamlined applications. So, what else is great about this provider?
Network-wise, the fleet is sizable, with 750+ servers in 37+ countries. It fulfills all needs, whether accessing platforms with Modern Family or blocked content in general. Connectivity also won’t be an issue, with the WireGuard tunneling protocol ensuring low latency from anywhere.
If you’re strapped for money, Atlas VPN includes a free version that doesn’t require an account to use. It comes with a 5 GB/month data cap, 2 simultaneous connections, and 3 locations – Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles. Perfect for Hulu, HBO Max, Youtube TV, and other US-only video services.
The lowest subscriptions start at $1.83/month after using an Atlas VPN coupon. You can try the service anytime by downloading the free version. And when the limits become too restrictive, upgrade to premium without the fear of losses. The 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – Modern Family VPN with all physical hardware
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- VIPRE antivirus
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish combines robust security with excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities. It will get you access to Modern Family or any kind of show you’ve been dying to watch in mere seconds. And you’ll benefit from real-time protection while doing so – VIPRE antivirus comes with every subscription at no additional cost.
Utilize the 2000+ servers in 50+ countries to unblock anything you want, from video platforms to restricted content. But what about untimely lag or endless buffering screens, you ask? Have no fear – the trusted WireGuard tunneling protocol is here to make them a thing of the past.
Because IPVanish offers unlimited simultaneous connections, the whole family can watch anything they want at the same time. Enjoy seamless streaming on all major operating systems, Android TVs, Amazon Fire TV Sticks, and Chromebooks.
Pay just $3.33/month by applying an IPVanish discount code and watch all seasons of Modern Family anytime you want. Sadly, there’s no trial or free version to test before committing. But you can technically do that with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected these VPNs to watch Modern Family
Not just any VPN will do the trick, especially if you want to have the best streaming experience possible. Here are some aspects we considered whilst picking the candidates for our list:
- US servers. Since Modern Family is primarily available on US-based platforms, we’ve looked for services with plenty of connection points in this country. Of course, global coverage was also taken into account as this helps unblock content in other regions as well.
- Superb performance. The latest tunneling protocols are beneficial as they ensure low latency, hence almost no buffering and zero lag. The fastest VPNs in the industry work the best in this case, and, thankfully, most of them are well-suited for streaming in our case.
- Simultaneous connections. These are useful if your household has many members who want to watch something else on their own devices. Ideally, the VPN for viewing Modern Family does not limit simultaneous connections at all.
- Device compatibility. Streaming services are available on more operating systems than just computers and phones. The VPN, in turn, should offer support for other devices as well, such as Android and Smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV Sticks, Roku, etc.
- Security & privacy. Essential VPN features keep your actual virtual identity hidden, allowing you to bypass geo-blocks. AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection are mandatory for all premium providers. Another thing is the no-logs policy, which assures the VPN isn’t collecting any information about you.
- Reasonable price. Paying an excessive amount of money doesn’t always net you excellent performance and robust tools. Cheaper VPNs are viable if they include everything you need and then some. Plus, you can always get a refund since most protect subscriptions with money-back guarantees.
Streaming services to watch Modern Family online
Currently, Modern Family is available on several streaming platforms. Not all of them are available outside the US, so you’ll have to utilize an appropriate US VPN to access the websites. We also have detailed guides for each case:
- How to watch Modern Family on Hulu
- How to watch Modern Family on Peacock
- How to watch Modern Family on Apple TV+
- How to watch Modern Family on Disney+
Watch Modern Family on Hulu
Hulu is a US-only subscription-based streaming service with an extensive library of content. It houses originals and plenty of shows and movies from channels such as ABC, Comedy Central, The CW, FOX, NBC, MTV, and Univision. All seasons of Modern Family are available on Hulu.
- Subscribe to a VPN suitable for Hulu. Our top choice is NordVPN for its great device compatibility.
- Download the VPN software and install it on your device
- Connect to any US server
- Navigate to the Hulu website or open the app
- Log into your account or create one
- Freely browse the expansive Hulu catalog!
Watch Modern Family on Peacock
Peacock is a US-only streaming platform created by the parent company that runs NBC, a popular American TV and radio network. They share the same pool of content, with Peacock offering a bit more, as it is an on-demand service. You’ll find all seasons of Modern Family here as well.
- Download a robust Peacock VPN. We’ve found that you can never go wrong with NordVPN.
- Install the client on the device of your choice
- Select a server in the US and connect to it
- Go to Peacock’s official website or get the app
- Create an account or log in if you have one
- Find Modern Family and begin watching!
Watch Modern Family on Apple TV+
Apple TV+ is a streaming service available in most countries around the world. It includes a lot of Apple originals, but there are plenty of critically-acclaimed shows and movies here as well. Like, for example, all seasons of Modern Family.
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Apple TV+. NordVPN has no issues unblocking any restricted streaming service.
- Get the VPN app on your device and set it up
- Boot up the Apple TV+ app or open the website via a browser
- Sign up or log in to an existing account
- Start streaming the latest shows!
Watch Modern Family on Disney+
Disney+ is a popular streaming platform that includes movies and TV shows from Pixar, Marvel, National Geographic, and other companies. Subscribers can even add Hulu and ESPN+ for more movies, shows, and sports. Luckily, all seasons of Modern Family are available here, too.
- Subscribe to a reliable Disney+ VPN. NordVPN boasts an extensive server network spanning all continents.
- Download the VPN software and install it on the device of your choice
- Connect to a place where Disney+ is available, like the US, Canada, etc.
- Go to the Disney Plus website or get the application
- Create a new account or log in
- Dive into the vast Disney+ library!
How to stream Modern Family on different devices
Modern Family is available on a fair share of streaming platforms: Hulu, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Disney+. Thankfully, these services offer broad device support and have dedicated applications for most operating systems. For the best experience, we recommend subscribing to a VPN compatible with your device.
Watch Modern Family on PC (Windows & mac)
- Subscribe to a VPN compatible with Windows & mac. NordVPN offers streamlined, dedicated apps for both operating systems.
- Install the VPN on your computer and connect to a suitable server
- Open your browser and navigate to the streaming service of your choice
- Create an account or log in if you have one
- Search for Modern Family and enjoy!
Watch Modern Family on Phone (Android & iOS)
- Download a VPN suited for Android & iOS. We strongly recommend NordVPN for its user-friendly apps.
- Set up the client on your phone
- Choose a location in the US or any other fitting country
- Download a streaming service app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Sign in to your account or create a new one
- Enjoy unlimited streaming!
Watch Modern Family on Roku
- Reset your Roku device
- Sign up for a premium VPN with router support. NordVPN offers easy manual setup on routers.
- Install the VPN on your router and pick a suitable server
- Connect the Roku device to the newly-configured VPN router network
- Reconnect Roku to your TV and go to the Channel Store
- Find the streaming service of your choice, connect to it, and log in
- Sit back and relax with your favorite movies!
Watch Modern Family on Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Subscribe to a robust VPN. We suggest NordVPN, which has a great track record for unblocking streaming.
- Install the software on your router or get the VPN add-on if available
- Pick a server that suits your needs the best
- Find your streaming service on the Firestick dashboard and download it
- Sign in, find a movie you want to watch, and enjoy!
Watch Modern Family on Smart TV
- Pick a VPN suited for Smart TVs. Our go-to choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Set up the VPN on your router or install the client on your TV if available
- Select a server that works with your chosen streaming platform
- Download the streaming service’s app on your TV
- Create an account or log in
- Explore the library and start watching!
Can’t watch Modern Family with a VPN: solutions
Everything is ready – the VPN is up and running, you’ve got snacks & drinks, and the couch is as comfortable as ever. But once you try booting up a streaming service that has Modern Family, you suddenly can’t access it.
Well, dear readers, you’re likely experiencing some VPN issues. Luckily, there’s no need to contact customer support just yet. Follow the troubleshooting steps provided below, and the problem should be solved in no time:
- Blocked VPN IP. Most region-locked services have particular mechanisms in place that detect and block VPN servers to discourage users from breaking their rules. You’re probably connected to one that was blacklisted. Simply pick another server and see if it helps.
- IP & DNS leaks. If your actual DNS requests and IP address is visible, you won’t be able to access restricted content either. Perform an IP and DNS leak test, check whether all VPN security features are on, and cycle through the available tunneling protocols.
- Browser cookie leaks. Browsers store web cookies, which contain location information, in their caches. Clear the cache and reboot your device just in case.
- GPS location doesn’t match VPN. Phone users should disable GPS tracking as it can also reveal your whereabouts.
- Outdated VPN software. Older versions of VPNs aren’t as capable of unblocking content as newer ones. Download the update if one is available and always keep the client up to date.
- Corrupted TAP drivers. If you’ve tried installing multiple VPNs on your router, they most likely got scrambled in the process. Delete the old ones and get a fresh set of TAP drivers.
If the above didn’t help, now is the time to get in touch with your VPN provider’s customer support. Or you can switch to a reliable VPN to watch Modern Family that runs without a hitch.
How to watch Modern Family online for free
You can watch Modern Family for free, albeit you won’t get access to all seasons in all cases. A few services let you view them from the get-go – others require signing up for a 7-day free trial. You can try:
- Hulu – has all seasons but requires signing up for the basic Hulu plan, the only one which comes with a 30-day free trial
- NBC – has Seasons 9 and 10, requires an NBC account
- Peacock – allows to watch Season 1 for free, requires a Peacock account
- fuboTV – has Seasons 1-10, requires to sign up for a free 7-day trial
Now, keep in mind that these are available only to people who live in America and have the appropriate IP address. Those who reside outside the country will have to subscribe to a free USA VPN.
We strongly advise against downloading the first free service you find, though. Most costless providers are notorious for extensively logging user information and then selling that data to third parties. Besides that, you’ll run into other issues, like:
- Inability to bypass geo-blocks. It’s doubtful you’ll be able to enter restricted streaming services because most free VPNs can’t properly hide your IP address. It can be attributed to outdated encryption methods (if there are any) and weak circumvention features.
- Awful video quality. Most providers throttle user speeds to minimize the load on their networks, hence constant lagging and 144p quality streaming. Not to mention the strict data caps you’ll use up in a day.
- Security risks. If you’re unaware, free VPNs often come with user trackers that monitor your every move. Then, in rare instances, but it happens, some software is bundled with malware, keyloggers, adware, viruses, etc., that track you even when you’re not connected to the VPN.
Modern Family is a show worth diving into, especially if you enjoy sitcoms, mockumentaries, witty punchlines, and diverse characters. And it’s available on several streaming platforms – all glorious 11 seasons at that. Of course, the problem is that these services are primarily US-only.
Trusted VPNs allow you to watch Modern Family in mere seconds. Providers like NordVPN have plenty of servers in all suitable locations and excellent geo-block bypassing tools. Plus, with the latest tunneling protocols on the roster, every episode will be in crisp HD quality.
What’s the best episode of Modern Family, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Hulu
Best VPN for Disney+
Watch Lord of the Rings series online
Watch the Great British Bake Off online
Watch What We Do In The Shadows online
Watch The Office online
Watch Doom Patrol online
Is Modern Family only on Netflix?
As of January 1st, 2022, Modern Family is unavailable on Netflix. You can stream all 11 seasons on other services, though, like Hulu, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Disney+. Most of them are US-only, so you’ll need an appropriate Modern Family VPN to access them.
Is Modern Family on Disney+?
Yes, all seasons of Modern Family are available on Disney+. If you live in a region where this streaming platform doesn’t offer its services, you’ll need a VPN suitable for Disney+ to bypass the geo-blocks.
Where can I watch all seasons of Modern Family for free?
You can stream all seasons of Modern Family for free on Hulu by signing up for the basic plan. It comes with a 30-day free trial that gives you plenty of time to peruse the platform’s extensive content library.
Is it legal to stream with a VPN?
Yes, streaming with a VPN is legal if you want to access geo-locked content. But this usually goes against the Terms and Conditions of most streaming services. So, don’t be surprised if the VPN can’t always bypass the restrictions on the first try, as these platforms tend to block VPN traffic.