Anime fans from America know Funimation as the go-to place for high-quality English dubs of popular ongoing series. The translations and recordings are done quickly, lettings western viewers stay up to date and not miss out too much.
Unfortunately, the online streaming service is unavailable outside the United States without a Funimation VPN (Virtual Private Network). This additional software is needed to alter your IP address and unlock the geo-restricted platform.
Scratch the anime itch by getting a VPN for Funimation and watch English-dubbed series regardless of where you are!
How to watch Funimation outside the US
- Purchase a VPN with plenty of servers in the US. Our top choice is NordVPN, available for 60% off!
- Download the VPN on your favorite anime-streaming device
- Connect to a server in the United States
- Watch English-dubbed anime from anywhere!
Why do you need a VPN for Funimation?
Funimation is a company that focuses on distributing East Asian media (primarily Japanese anime) in the United States. Since it doesn’t get the rights for other regions, the online platform imposes geographical restrictions and prevents foreigners from using the service. It does so by checking visitors’ IP addresses and barring users connecting from outside the USA.
Luckily, a workaround is available in the form of a virtual private network. In short, it can redirect your online traffic through a server in the US and make it appear as if you’re connecting from there. Meanwhile, your home IP address and actual location are masked, thus preventing geo-blocking and allowing you to enjoy Funimation from anywhere.
Of course, this process isn’t flawless since online services sometimes detect VPN traffic or block frequently-used IP addresses. Thankfully, the best VPN services are working hard to update their software and fight back against any digital blockades. This is why you need to use top-rated VPNs instead of random ones.
Best VPNs for Funimation: overview
- NordVPN – the Best VPN for Funimation
- Surfshark VPN – Funimation VPN with top-notch performance
- PrivateVPN – versatile streaming VPN for Funimation
- IPVanish – Funimation VPN with unlimited connections
- Atlas VPN – most affordable VPN for Funimation
A few things need to be present for a VPN to work properly with Funimation. Below is a summary of the most vital criteria.
- Servers in the United States. Unsurprisingly, the first thing that’s needed is the ability to get a US IP address for curbing geo-blocking. Your chances of success are improved if the VPN has more servers.
- Fast tunneling protocols. A VPN connection inevitably reduces your connection speed since the data has to travel a greater distance. However, this speed loss is negligible if a provider has swift tunneling protocols, for example, WireGuard.
- Absence of IP and DNS leaks. Effective geo-block circumvention is only possible if your true location remains completely hidden. This is possible if the virtual private network has reliable leak prevention features.
- Apps for popular streaming devices. Funimation is available on devices like Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and many more. The best streaming experience is ensured if your VPN service is also compatible with such home entertainment systems.
- Multiple simultaneous connections. VPNs should be used on multiple devices to provide airtight protection for the customer. Plus, your family members will want to use a multi-device VPN as well once they notice the epic benefits it provides.
We considered these aspects and picked the top five VPNs for Funimation that you should pick from. Read their overviews below or check out the full reviews for in-depth analysis.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Funimation
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fast and optimized for streaming
- Independently audited and secure
- Excellent device compatibility
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for Funimation. It has no trouble tackling streaming platform geo-blocks and delivering top-notch performance without breaking a sweat. Experience the bliss of unhindered anime watching by claiming the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
Customers can select from over 5400 servers scattered across 60+ countries. Standard servers utilize RAM-only technology to prevent needless long-term data storage on hard drives. Meanwhile, obfuscated and Onion over VPN servers employ other methods of hiding your identity. In any case, the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol guarantees unparalleled connectivity.
Combining an extensive server fleet and wicked-fast protocols makes NordVPN one of the most popular streaming VPN options. It’s frequently used to unlock bonus content on Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and more. Moreover, the service works on practically any device with SmartPlay.
Experience all the benefits of this VPN by grabbing a NordVPN coupon code and subscribing for only $3.29/month. You can pay using conventional methods or with cryptocurrencies for added anonymity.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Funimation VPN with top-notch performance
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections with one subscription
- Excellent security at a low price
- Bonus features against viruses
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Buyers can use Surfshark VPN to unblock Funimation for a whole anime fan club. One subscription is pretty affordable and permits unlimited simultaneous connections. Give it a shot by getting the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
The Surfshark network consists of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 65+ countries. These are further categorized into regular, Multihop, and Static IP servers for specific use-cases. You can use WireGuard with either one for excellent connectivity while streaming, torrenting, or just surfing the web.
Surfshark VPN guarantees unrivaled connection speeds thanks to its one-of-a-kind Nexus technology. It employs SDN (Software Defined Networking) to connect users to a seamless network of servers, as opposed to separate servers. One of the first features of this technology is available in the form of an IP Rotator for alternating your IP address without interruptions.
Grab one of the best services in the VPN industry at a reasonable price, thanks to a Surfshark discount code. Long-term subscriptions will become available for only $2.30/month, and you can always back out thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – versatile streaming VPN for Funimation
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Great for streaming and security
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN is the perfect VPN for Funimation and torrenting fans alike. It provides a diverse selection of security and privacy features for unblocking geo-restricted content while remaining anonymous.
The service operates a tight-knit fleet of 200+ servers across 63+ regions. The PrivateVPN network hardware and software are fully maintained by the team without any third parties. This ensures accountability, solid performance, and zero risk of interference. Plus, connections are facilitated with the everlasting OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
Customers use PrivateVPN to access bonus shows and movies on platforms like BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, Disney+, and more. Meanwhile, P2P activities are unmitigated and can be further enhanced with port forwarding or a SOCKS5 proxy. Moreover, you can enable Stealth VPN and curb network restrictions at workplaces, schools, or even in surveillance states.
Get acquainted with PrivateVPN by using the 7-day free trial. After that, pricing starts at only $2.00/month when equipped with a valid PrivateVPN discount code.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Funimation VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited device connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- VIPRE antivirus protection
- No anonymous payment methods
Funimation fans can enjoy peace of mind and well-rounded security by signing up for IPVanish. It grants antivirus protection software to new users and permits unlimited connections with one account.
IPVanish is responsible for over 2000 servers in roughly 50 countries. The impressive network is completely owned by the provider and doesn’t contain virtual locations. Connectivity is boosted even further if you enable the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Subscribers gain access to apps for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Android and iOS devices are supported as well, while routers need to be configured manually with a VPN connection. Luckily, this allows users to get the benefits of a virtual private network on almost any internet-connected device.
Secure your entire household now by using an IPVanish deal to unlock $3.99/month subscription prices. Payment options include credit card and PayPal.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – most affordable VPN for Funimation
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Free version with 10 GB of monthly data
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Effective and budget-friendly
- No router configuration
Spent all your hard-earned cash on a Funimation subscription? Supplement it with Atlas VPN! It’s exceptionally cheap and effective, while the most frugal anime fans can try out the free version for added security.
Atlas VPN commands 750+ servers across 37+ countries. Customers can pick from standard, streaming, or Privacy Pro servers depending on their needs. For example, streaming servers are best for circumventing geo-blocks, while Privacy Pro includes SafeSwap and Multihop+ locations for alternating your IP address and location.
The mobile version of this service unlocks Data Breach Monitoring to keep an eye out for data breaches with your personal information. Plus, it has SafeBrowse for nullifying ads and online trackers. Lastly, Android users can enable split tunneling for further customization of the VPN connection.
Take advantage of an Atlas VPN deal and sign up for only $1.99/month. You can ensure a private transaction by purchasing the subscription with cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ether.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to watch Funimation with a VPN on different devices
A premium Funimation subscription unlocks easy-to-use apps for multiple devices, including desktop computers, mobile phones, Android TV, Roku, etc. Similarly, virtual private networks are also available on these platforms via apps or manual configuration. However, combining the two requires following a certain procedure which will vary depending on the device. We’ll provide you with a few general setup guidelines for some devices below.
How to watch Funimation on PC with a VPN
- Sign up for a VPN that has apps for your computer. I recommend NordVPN for Windows and Mac users
- Download the virtual private network app, install it, and login
- Connect to any server in the United States
- Visit the Funimation website and start binging anime!
Funimation doesn’t have any specialized apps for desktop computers. As such, you simply need to connect to a VPN in the US and then go to the Funimation website to access the extensive anime library. Grab a VPN for Windows or a VPN for Mac if you’re looking for well-rounded options for your desktop device.
How to watch Funimation on mobile devices (Android, iOS) with a VPN
- Subscribe to a mobile-compatible VPN. My go-to choice is NordVPN, the best overall service
- Search for the VPN on your device’s app store (Google Play Store on Android or the Apple App Store on iOS)
- Install the application and connect to a US server
- Visit the app store again and browse for the Funimation app. If you can’t find it, try creating a new Google Account or Apple ID based in the United States
- Download the streaming app and enjoy anime on the go!
Curbing geo-restrictions on mobile devices is trickier since their GPS capabilities are working against you. You may have to create a new Google Account or Apple ID to find the US-exclusive Funimation app. If that’s not enough, GPS-spoofing software could also help. Learn more about changing your location on Android by visiting our guides.
How to watch Funimation on Android TV with a VPN
- Purchase a VPN with a dedicated app for Android TV. Our #1 suggestion is NordVPN
- Go to the Play Store on the Android TV and search for your VPN provider’s app
- Install the software, log in, and connect to a server in the United States
- Launch the Funimation application and watch any movie or TV show!
Using a VPN for Android TV is quite easy since many providers modify their existing Android apps and make them compatible with this entertainment system. The same principle applies to VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick.
How to watch Funimation on TV or consoles with a VPN
- Pick a VPN provider that’s compatible with routers. NordVPN is a great option
- Follow the instructions of your provider and set up your home router with a VPN connection to the US
- Connect your TV or console to the reconfigured router network
- Tune into Funimation and enjoy the best anime from Japan with English dubs!
Smart TVs and consoles come in many different shapes and sizes. Besides the outside, their inner workings and operating systems vary wildly as well. Therefore, it’s practically impossible to find a VPN provider with apps for these devices. Instead, you need to install the VPN on your router and then connect your device to the network. This method works with almost any VPN-incompatible platform, such as Apple TV, Roku, and smart TVs.
VPN not working with Funimation
It’s unrealistic to expect VPNs to work flawlessly all the time while dealing with streaming platform geo-blocking. As such, we recommend getting familiar with common issues and how to solve them. Just remember that it isn’t always obvious which problem you’re running into, and you may need extensive troubleshooting.
- Blocked IP address. The most basic issue you’re likely to encounter is the dreaded IP block. The website will tell you that you’re likely using a VPN and need to disable it and reconnect. Instead, you can try connecting to another server and refresh the page.
- Browser cache and cookies. When you visit a website, some data gets saved in browser cookies. This stored information can include location data as well, which prevents effective geo-block curbing. Clear your browser’s cache and cookies, and try visiting Funimation with a clean slate.
- IP and DNS leaks. Less-robust VPNs are prone to leaking your IP or DNS request data, exposing your true location in the process. You can check for leaks online via websites like ipleak.net.
- Outdated VPN software. VPN software needs to be updated regularly so it could effectively deal with online threats and geo-blocks alike. Sometimes you’ll have to do that manually.
If this is getting too much, consider reaching out to your VPN’s customer support. Most services provide 24/7 assistance via live chat for quick and easy problem-solving.
Funimation rebranding as Crunchyroll LLC
Sony Pictures, the parent company of Funimation, acquired the well-known anime streaming platform Crunchyroll for over $1 billion in cash. This will result in the inevitable consolidation of the two platforms into one, with Funimation being phased out over time.
The Funimation streaming platform will remain active for some time and update ongoing series. However, Crunchyroll customers already have access to content previously exclusive to Funimation. Therefore, we recommend getting a VPN for Crunchyroll if you’re in an unsupported country and unlocking the widest anime library available for western audiences.
Learn more about the acquisition and its implications by visiting the Funimation help center.
How to watch Funimation for free
Funimation has a free tier that unlocks a sample of the available library and is supported with ads. Sadly, this doesn’t change the fact that the platform is geo-restricted to the United States and unavailable to foreign viewers.
However, there’s a potential workaround in the form of free VPNs for the United States. There’s no guarantee that any of them will work, but they’re worth a shot and won’t cost a penny.
Alternatively, you can opt for a temporary but reliable fix by getting a VPN with a free trial. These tests are typically valid for 7 days and provide the full suite of premium features, including fast connections and plenty of servers for easy unblocking.
What to watch on Funimation
Funimation can cater to anime newbies and hardcore viewers alike. Subscribers can browse through a multitude of classic and newly-released anime and choose anything they like by genre. Here are a few of our favorite shows for your consideration.
|The Rising of the Shield Hero, Attack on Titan||Action/adventure|
|Dragon Goes House-Hunting, Kaginado||Comedy|
|Date a Live, Strike Witches||Fan service|
|Hellsing, Zombie Land Saga||Horror|
|Requiem of the Rose King, Obey Me!||Romance|
Don’t forget that you need a paid subscription for accessing the full Funimation library. Premium Funimation subscriptions start at $5.99/month, but the complete set of features is unlocked with Premium Plus, which costs $7.99/month. However, die-hard fans can go with Premium Plus Ultra for $99.99/year and receive a surprise annual anniversary gift.
Funimation won’t be around for long and will be replaced by Crunchyroll as the go-to place for anime fans from the west. However, both platforms have the same geo-blocking issues that require a reliable VPN to deal with. As such, you need to choose a provider that has servers in the US and is compatible with your preferred streaming device.
Consider NordVPN as your companion for unlocking the greatest animated TV shows and movies Japan has to offer!
Which VPN do you use for Funimation and Crunchyroll? Let us know your preference by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for HBO Max
Best VPN for Disney Plus
How to watch CBS from anywhere
How to watch Hulu outside the US
How to spoof Pokemon Go location
How to watch Channel 4 in US
Best VPN for Hotstar
Can you watch Funimation with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Funimation even if you’re not in the United States. All you have to do is subscribe to a well-performing Funimation VPN, download the VPN and connect to a US server. Then visit the Funimation website or app and enjoy unrestricted access to anime.
Can I use a free VPN for Funimation?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to watch the free tier of Funimation. However, keep in mind that the provider needs servers in the US to access the geo-restricted streaming platform. And don’t forget that no-cost providers have monthly data caps and throttled bandwidth, resulting in laggy, SD-quality streams and limits on monthly viewing potential.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Funimation?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN with Funimation or any other online streaming platform. However, the terms of service may prohibit VPN use and could restrict access to the platform if VPN connections are detected. Luckily, there’s no need to fear any long-term consequences for using a VPN.
What is the best VPN for Funimation?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Funimation. It’s jam-packed with US servers, reliable security features, and excellent apps for various devices. Plus, it’s one of the fastest providers with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. You can test it out with the 7-day free trial on the Google Play Store.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.