Cheap monthly VPNs are great for many reasons. The main one being that occasional travelers and first-time users get a full sample of the product without a commitment. Problem is, even with big competition in the VPN sector, monthly subscriptions might still seem a little pricey at first glance.
Long-term contracts could be a solution with the top VPNs almost always offering the greatest value for your hard-earned cash. However, not everyone’s ready to shell out more than $50 basically blindfolded, especially if they only need a VPN solution for a limited time. Fortunately, a 30-day money-back guarantee is a standard these days to also test the services risk-free.
In this article, we’ll go through the best cheap monthly VPNs that won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
Top 5 cheap monthly VPNs
- Cheapest monthly VPN with the best features9.6
- Cheap monthly VPN with the broadest global coverage9.5
- Affordable monthly VPN for unlimited connections9.2
- Affordable 1-month VPN8.8
- Versatile and inexpensive monthly VPN8.4
What makes the best cheap monthly VPN?
When we talk cheapest VPNs with monthly plans, we must also weigh their value to get the best possible deal. This means covering all of the most important bases in security, functionality, and user experience without breaking the bank. Here’s what makes the best cheapest monthly VPN:
- Monthly price. The biggest price tag doesn’t always give the greatest value. Even the cheapest bargains can land you an excellent VPN for any of your streaming, browsing, or torrenting needs.
- Robust security. The cheapest monthly VPNs must also be armed and ready with the best security measures to keep your browsing safe. So, AES-256 encryption, kill switches, and split tunneling should be your bottom line.
- Privacy-first approach. Logging is not cool, and we agree. Even a cheap monthly VPN plan should always keep your data safe from prying eyes with audited no-logs policies and leak protection measures.
- Speed and reliability. A truly good one-month VPN will never slow down your connection and will not drop out of nowhere. Efficient tunneling protocols, like WireGuard, are good to have here.
- Extra perks. A low monthly price tag doesn’t mean the VPN should be bare bones, either. Check whether torrenting and streaming are on the table, and if there are features like obfuscation, split tunneling, ad & malware blocking, etc.
- Money-back guarantees. Very rarely can monthly VPN subscriptions be refunded. Meanwhile, yearly plans come with 30-day money-guarantees at least (and are cheaper to boot). You could sign up for a longer period and claim your money back before the 30 day mark.
The best cheapest monthly VPN plans: detailed list
- NordVPN – best VPN service with cheapest monthly payment
- Surfshark VPN – cheap one-month VPN with top-notch security
- Atlas VPN – fast VPN with a wallet-friendly one-month plan
- PrivateVPN – reliable inexpensive monthly VPN subscription
- CyberGhost – affordable monthly VPN with an extensive server fleet
- Proton VPN – security-first VPN service with great one-month payments
Going cheap doesn’t always mean going for the absolute bottom of the barrel. We’ve tested a wide range of the best, yet surprisingly affordable VPNs and found some tremendously valuable options for monthly services. In this list, we take into account not only the price but also the security, speeds, and features they bring to the table.
1. NordVPN – most powerful cheapest monthly VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest tunneling protocol
- Top-of-the-class security
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only six simultaneous connections
Our best cheap monthly VPN is NordVPN simply because it’s packing a punch you can’t find anywhere else. All NordVPN has to offer will set you back only $12.99 for a monthly plan, while the 24-month subscription is just $3.49/month.
This VPN is jam-packed with the best security features you’d expect from a top contender. Alongside AES-256 encryption and a powerful kill switch, you can also find Threat Protection anti-malware package, Double VPN, and even the “Tor over VPN” feature. On top of that, NordVPN’s 5800+ servers in 60+ countries are RAM-only to ensure maximum data safety.
Furthermore, NordVPN’s NordLynx protocol ensures top-class connection speeds and network stability. This is ideal for uninterrupted and unblocked video streaming together with the NordVPN’s exclusive SmartPlay feature. Torrenting fans can also enjoy P2P-optimized servers and a free SOCKS5 proxy.
All this and much more await you with a 30-day money-back guarantee on the house. But before you go for it, be sure to check for the best NordVPN deals.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – cheap monthly VPN for streaming
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Widest global coverage
- Unlimited connections
- 7-day free trial
- No free version
Surfshark is a fantastic VPN to pay monthly for because of its price-to-feature ratio. Although the monthly subscription cost of $12.95 leaves some room for improvement, it’s still priced relatively close to the competition. However, we can see a significant price drop for a 2-year plan landing at only $2.30/month by taking advantage of the available coupons.
Aside from being an affordable long-term option, Surfshark brings awesome value for video streamers. Operating 3200+ RAM-only servers across whopping 100+ countries, this VPN covers most regions globally. With their implementation of Smart DNS and WireGuard protocol, you’ll be able to unblock and stream every most popular streaming service with lightning-fast speed.
If you choose to surf the net with Surfshark, you’re getting full-plate armor for your network protection. The security package includes everything you’d expect from a top VPN service: AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection. And all of that for unlimited devices, including PCs, smartphones, tablets, consoles, and even routers.
If you’re afraid to dive head first, Surfshark’s money-back guarantee will let you try it risk-free for a whole month.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – cheap monthly VPN for unlimited devices
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Best free VPN version
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great long-term prices
- No router support
Atlas VPN is what you’d call a “freemium” service that has a free version for a test drive and a fully-fledged subscription. Opting for the premium version won’t nickel and dime you as it has one of the cheapest VPN monthly subscriptions out there – $10.99/month. It can also go as low as $1.82/month if you go for a longer period using one of the discount codes.
Even for an extremely budget-friendly approach, Atlas VPN offers everything for your internet browsing security. Along with a trusty kill switch, and multiple tunneling protocols, you can also find the Data Breach Monitor or the MultiHop+ feature for ultimate untraceability.
All of 1000+ servers in 42+ countries will provide you with excellent WireGuard speeds for unlimited devices. It’s also wonderful for video streaming and unblocking on Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and even Amazon Fire TV Stick devices.
If a free version doesn’t satisfy your hunger to see the best of Atlas VPN, you can still try out the premium with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. PrivateVPN – cheap 1 month VPN for daily use
24/7 live chat
- Sleek applications
- Cheapest single-month subscription
- 7-day free trial
- No Smart DNS
PrivateVPN is a small yet reliable cheap monthly VPN. A mere $9.90 gets you reliable security and privacy features. Even better, if you enter one of the PrivateVPN coupons, you can lower the numbers to $2.00/month for a 3-year contract.
PrivateVPN is a smaller provider with 200+ servers spanning 63+ countries. Although it doesn’t incorporate the Smart DNS feature, you can still unlock a lot of geo-blocked content or websites. Streaming is possible and PrivateVPN unblocks a reasonable amount of streaming services. Just a heads up if you’re playing around with Stealth VPN capabilities – watching a movie in 4K might not be the best idea.
However, being a budget-friendly option doesn’t stop PrivateVPN from also being a solid choice for your browsing privacy and security. You get industry-standard AES-256 encryption, OpenVPN tunneling protocol, plus IP and DNS leak protection. Some nice-to-have extras include port forwarding and a SOCKS5 proxy for torrenting enthusiasts.
As it happens, even with their surprisingly low single-month prices you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee as well as a 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – affordable one month VPN with dedicated servers
24/7 live chat
- Extensive server fleet
- Good for Netflix & P2P
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- mac & iOS have fewer features
CyberGhost is a more playful VPN service with a great monthly payment option. $12.99 is all you have to shell out to take advantage of its vast server fleet for 30 days. And, of course, longer, cheaper plans are on the table, with a 2-year subscription coming at $2.03/month. And if the price still seems steep, feel free to peruse CyberGhost coupons.
This is a well-established service with 9700+ servers across 91+ countries to its name. Connecting to any of them will let you enjoy foreign content in an instant. Plus, your internet won’t slow down due to the great implementation of the reliable WireGuard protocol. Need a little boost for a particular task? Pick any of the dedicated streaming, P2P, or gaming servers.
With CyberGhost, you won’t be missing out security-wise, either. Besides the essential VPN features, the provider includes a robust anti-malware & antivirus tool, split tunneling, a free SOCKS5 proxy, and ID Guard Monitoring. The company itself is based in Romania and adheres to a verified no-logs policy, so your privacy isn’t at risk.
There are a few free trials available on different platforms. But it’s much less of a hassle to commit and then use the 45-day money-back guarantee if need be.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
6. Proton VPN – low-cost monthly VPN with great speeds
Email, knowledge base
- Excellent security
- Solid free version
- High-speed servers
- No live chat for customer support
Proton VPN is well-known among tech-savvy users as one of the cheapest and best VPNs in terms of security. This silent protector is available for hire for just $9.99 if you choose to go the VPN monthly payment path. On the other hand, you can take it for a ride at barely $4.99/month if you choose to stay with it for 2 years. Just don’t forget to take a quick peek at current Proton VPN sales.
While there is a fairly limited free version to see what Proton VPN has to give, the premium version is where it truly shines. For example, speedy WireGuard connections are bolstered with the help of their exclusive VPN Accelerator. These 3000+ servers in 68+ countries are available on most common platforms like PCs, smartphones, Android TVs, and even Chromebooks.
Proton VPN is one of the top players in regard to security and places a big priority on maximum privacy and transparency. First, an audited no-logs policy and Proton VPN’s open-source nature plays a big part in its transparent approach. Also, it’s based in Switzerland, which means all the data is strictly protected by strong local privacy laws.
If the Proton VPN free offering leaves you curious for more, you can still go premium without fear. A month-long money-back guarantee is a given.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
Cheap monthly VPN comparison
Choosing the right VPN for your needs might be challenging, especially when not all VPNs are created equal. Here we compiled the most important data of our Top 5 cheap monthly VPNs for a full head-to-head comparison.
|Provider||NordVPN||Surfshark||Atlas VPN||PrivateVPN||Proton VPN|
|Lowest price per month||$3.49/month||$2.30/month||$1.82/month||$2.00/month||$4.99/month|
|Free version||7-day trial||7-day trial||Yes||7-day trial||Yes|
|Avg. speed||679 Mbps||636 Mbps||N/A||238 Mbps||548 Mbps|
|Servers||5800+ servers in 60+ countries||3200+ servers in 100+ countries||1000+ servers in 42+ countries||200+ servers in 63+ countries||3000+ servers in 68+ countries|
|Logging policy||No logs, independently audited thrice by PwC||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte||No logs||No logs||No logs, independently audited by Securitum|
|Streaming||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more||Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Crunchyroll, Hulu, and more||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Disney+ and more||Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sky Sports Netflix and more|
Whether you’re looking for a one-time VPN solution or a long-term subscription, NordVPN delivers value way above its’ price weight class.
Even though the monthly prices are a tiny bit higher than the absolutely cheapest options here, NordVPN makes up for it tenfold in its features. That includes unrivaled connection speeds with the NordLynx protocol, one of the greatest unblocking capabilities with the SmartPlay feature, and compatibility with the most popular devices.
How we selected the cheapest monthly VPNs
This time, we tested a whole bunch of well-known and reliable brands to see which holds up the best in our roundup. Here’s what we looked at when picking the cheapest monthly VPN providers:
- Pricing. A good monthly VPN has to be not only trustworthy and robust but also as friendly to your wallet as possible.
- Money-back guarantee. Not everyone’s quick on commitment. In this case, it’s really great to have a chance to try out the service with at least a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Security. A VPN is a security tool first. Even for one month, it must reliably encrypt your traffic with the likes of AES-256 encryption and protect your traffic with a dependable kill switch.
- Privacy. A secure VPN service must also keep your data private. A no-logs policy is a must in our books for any provider, be it with a 1-month subscription or a 2-year plan. And it is even better if it’s independently audited.
- Speed. Of course, a VPN should keep your connection speeds as close to your original one as possible. All our picks offer good to exceptional speeds, no matter which part of the world you’re in.
- Customer support. When a problem hits, you want to solve it fast. It’s always reassuring to know you can find help 24/7, even better if there’s a live chat option.
NordVPN is one of the cheapest monthly VPNs that is also worth its salt. It comes with a robust security toolkit, the best speeds in the industry, and versatile features suited for all kinds of online activities. Benefit from superb protection without breaking the budget!
How to get a cheap monthly VPN subscription?
Today’s VPN market is as competitive as ever, and top-bracket players are slashing their prices left and right. However, to get the greatest bargains possible, you might want to check these few tips:
- Jump to our reviews. Check out our reviews and comparisons to learn more about market-leading VPNs as well as their freshest weekly deals.
- Don’t miss the holiday sales. Holidays are a great time not only to look for the biggest discounts on physical goods but also on your virtual security solutions as well.
- Check out coupon pages. We have a selection of currently available coupons for the top VPN services. Take one on the house to get the best price on your chosen Virtual Protector.
Why are monthly VPN plans so expensive?
Buying a VPN subscription for a month is usually way pricier than opting for an annual one. Long-term plans ensure the VPN providers you’re not quitting or switching to the competitors a couple of months down the line.
To achieve that, they make longer plans more appealing by slashing the monthly costs and, a lot of the time, by huge margins. This makes the annual and longer plans stick out more.
Why should you consider a longer-term VPN?
If you want to pay monthly for a VPN service, that’s understandable. But we advise considering a long-term VPN subscription because these are tremendously cheaper. Especially when you look at the monthly breakdown, which usually ends up costing 2-3 times less than a single-month plan.
Fortunately, you don’t have to buy a whole year’s worth of subscriptions or break your piggybank just to test the service you’re interested in. Most of the best VPNs, like NordVPN, give you a whole month to try the service risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VPNs are a great way to keep your online presence safe. Monthly subscriptions can be alluring because of their noncommittal nature, but they’re usually much pricier than the annual plans.
Pretty much every top VPN provider tries to keep their clients for long periods of time with attractive yearly plans. And that’s not bad, because the monthly cost of yearly subscriptions for the best services is usually great. But if you’re absolutely sure you won’t need a VPN for longer than a month, a cheap monthly VPN is a splendid choice to save a good buck.
To make the best of your time, be sure to try out the services with free trials or money-back guarantees. Our top pick – NordVPN – gives you a full month to experience its blazing-fast speeds and top-grade online security completely risk-free. Plus, it’s one of the cheapest monthly VPN services.
Which monthly VPN do you think is the best? Let us know in the comments!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN with a free trial
Best VPN for ad blocking
Best VPN for travel
Best VPN for public Wi-Fi
Best VPN for torrenting by Reddit
Best VPN browser extension
Best browsers with VPN
What is the cheapest VPN per month?
The best cheap monthly VPN is NordVPN. Even though the single-month subscription price is a little bit higher than others at $12.99, you can save a ton with a long-term plan. If you take advantage of current NordVPN discounts, you can drop the price to just $3.49/month for a 2-year contract.
Is there a VPN I can pay for monthly?
Yes, many of the most popular providers offer monthly VPN subscription models. Unfortunately, monthly subscriptions are usually quite expensive. With that in mind, the best VPNs offer great discounts for longer contracts. Right now, you can grab a great deal on NordVPN with 68% discount.
What makes a great cheap monthly VPN?
AES-256 encryption, a reliable kill switch, and a no-logs policy are among the top priorities. If security boxes are covered consistently, a really important tick mark should be an advanced tunneling protocol and a wide server network. You can check the full criteria list for affordable one month VPNs in the article.
Can I get a monthly VPN for free?
Yes, but we can’t recommend free VPNs because of their limitations or mediocre security. On the other hand, top VPN providers, such as NordVPN, give first-time users a 7-day free trial or at least a 30-day money-back guarantee to try the service risk-free.