America frequently produces world-renowned TV shows and movies that significantly impact the global cultural landscape. For example, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad took the world by storm and remain relevant despite ending years ago.
Unfortunately, these and similar shows don’t appear overseas for quite a while because of distribution and licensing agreements. But wouldn’t it be great if you could watch American TV abroad and find hidden gems as soon as they’re released?
That and more is possible with a Virtual Private Network! A VPN redirects your web connection through a server in another country, allowing you to access exclusive foreign content regardless of where you are. Read on to learn which VPNs are best for unblocking US TV.
How to watch American TV outside the US with a VPN
- Choose a well-performing VPN with US servers. Our top choice is NordVPN, available with a 68% discount!
- Download the VPN on your go-to streaming device
- Connect to a US server to unblock US TV
- Enjoy the countless selection of American TV anywhere!
Best VPN to stream American TV: shortlist
- The best VPN for watching American TV abroad9.7
- VPN for unblocking US TV on limitless devices9.4
- Cheap streaming VPN for American TV9.2
- Affordable US TV VPN with a free version8.8
- Well-rounded VPN for streaming American TV anywhere8.5
Why do you need a VPN to watch American TV?
As the name suggests, American TV is only available in the USA. Tuning into American cable television channels abroad is impossible because the broadcasts don’t reach beyond the border. Meanwhile, online streaming services check your IP address; if it’s not from the US, you’re essentially barred from entry.
Luckily, using a VPN with US servers can easily fix this issue. Virtual private networks redirect your web traffic through remote servers, making it appear that you’re located elsewhere. Your true place of origin is hidden, and your actual IP address is masked behind the server’s address.
You may have realized that redirecting your connection through another location increases the distance internet data packets have to cover. This inevitably increases loading times as well. However, the best VPN services utilize modern tunneling protocols and other optimization methods to maximize connectivity.
This means a VPN for unblocking American TV abroad needs two things – US servers and lightning-fast connections. Without these, you won’t be able to access your desired shows, or the stream quality will be unsatisfactory.
Best VPNs to watch US TV abroad
We tested and picked five VPN services that can get a US IP address and unblock American TV streaming services. Naturally, their connection quality is top-notch, allowing you to watch shows and movies in glorious UHD quality.
Besides unblocking extra content, virtual private networks can protect your browsing activities and keep you anonymous. The most secure VPNs have extra features against malicious ads, online trackers, viruses, and even malware.
Best of all, these benefits aren’t even mutually exclusive. You can check below what other perks each VPN provides besides US TV unblocking abroad.
1. NordVPN – the #1 service for unblocking American TV
24/7 live chat, Email
- Industry-leading speeds with NordLynx
- Independently audited and secure
- Top choice for streaming foreign content
- No router app
NordVPN is the ultimate service for unblocking American TV and other foreign content. It has an expansive server fleet, fast connectivity, and apps for popular streaming devices. You can witness all of these with the help of the 7-day NordVPN free trial.
Firstly, the network spans 5500+ servers, with roughly 2000 in the United States. Besides standard locations, customers can select specialty servers, such as P2P, Double VPN, and Onion over VPN. Whichever you pick, connectivity will remain excellent with the help of the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
TV enthusiasts frequently use NordVPN to access exclusive foreign content on streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and more. Additionally, the ultra-fast speeds can facilitate 4K and greater video quality even when connecting to far-away regions. Plus, the dedicated Android TV and Amazon Fire TV apps make the setup process on your television a breeze.
Grab a NordVPN coupon and slash subscription prices to only $3.09/month. Don’t hesitate to sign up because the 30-day money-back guarantee has your back if you change your mind.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – US TV unblocking with top-notch security
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ultra-fast with WireGuard
- Packed with various features
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Have loads of friends who want to unblock American TV anywhere? Subscribe to Surfshark VPN and share one account among yourselves. The service permits unlimited simultaneous connections and grants unrivaled digital security. Give it a try using the 7-day Surfshark free trial.
Surfshark customers can select from 3200+ servers worldwide, with over 600 in the USA. Users are blessed with excellent data retention practices, thanks to the complete utilization of RAM-only server technology. Moreover, connection speed reduction is minimal when using WireGuard.
The abundance of servers makes US TV unblocking with Surfshark VPN a piece of cake. The service is a popular choice among Netflix and Disney Plus users. Best of all, viewers can curb geographical restrictions on practically any device by using Smart DNS.
Ensure access to the best possible deals by getting a Surfshark discount code. Use one at checkout and sign up for only $2.21/month. Plus, you can always change your mind using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap and effective VPN for American TV
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Cheap and versatile
- Solid geo-unblocking capabilities
- Lacks WireGuard
Although the name implies confidentiality, PrivateVPN is a great choice for unblocking American TV abroad. This budget-friendly service grants features for various use cases and maintains fast connection times.
PrivateVPN runs a tight-knit fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. Streaming-adequate performance is guaranteed by combining the OpenVPN tunneling protocol with High Quality Network. Furthermore, you can use one account to secure up to 10 different devices simultaneously.
Besides streaming, PrivateVPN provides benefits for other internet activities. For starters, the port forwarding feature drastically improves torrent download speeds when there are few seeders. Meanwhile, Stealth VPN tears down digital borders, curbs digital censorship, and makes you free from surveillance.
Use a PrivateVPN coupon and get the entire package for merely $2.00/month. Alternatively, get familiar using the 7-day free trial. And don’t forget about the 30-day money-back guarantee once you sign up.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – excellent freemium US TV streaming VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Good free version with US servers
- Limitless connections
- Affordable and extremely effective
- No router configuration
The cheapest way of unblocking US TV abroad is by using Atlas VPN. The service is exceptionally affordable and packed with features, putting many other providers to shame.
First off, the network contains over 750 servers across 37+ countries. Locations are further categorized into regular, Streaming, and Privacy Pro servers for ease of use. And you don’t need to worry about connection quality when enabling WireGuard.
With Atlas VPN, you should enable many other features to maximize security while streaming or browsing. For example, SafeBrowse wipes away ads and phishing attempts from messing with your web experience. Meanwhile, SafeSwap can alternate your IP address and make it harder to stalk you. Lastly, Tracker Blocker prevents companies from following your every move.
Get to know this service using the free version. If it’s not enough, snag an Atlas VPN discount code and sign up for only $1.83/month. Either way, your purchase is secured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – multipurpose VPN capable of unblocking US TV
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Blazing-fast with WireGuard
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- VIPRE antivirus protection
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is a reasonably-priced service provider with a good track record and solid performance. It can effectively unblock American TV while ensuring online privacy.
This VPN boasts an impressive 2000+ server fleet, more than half of which are located in the United States. Additionally, all servers are physical and fully operated by IPVanish. If that wasn’t enough, connectivity remains top-notch when enabling WireGuard.
One IPVanish account supports unlimited device connections. The service is compatible with desktop computers, mobile phones, Amazon Fire TV, and even Chromebook. Any gaps in device support can be filled by configuring the VPN on a router.
Claim an IPVanish coupon and sign up for this service for $3.33/month. New subscribers are also given the VIPRE antivirus software suite. Plus, you can always use the 30-day money-back guarantee and turn back.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected VPNs for American TV
Before testing, we had to narrow down our list of VPN candidates based on a few essential criteria. These aspects ensure customer satisfaction when trying to watch American TV abroad online.
- Servers in the USA. Unsurprisingly, the primary feature we couldn’t overlook was server availability in the United States. More options lead to better overall connectivity and fewer chances of getting blocked. Of course, you can avoid the pitfalls of shared servers entirely by using a VPN with dedicated IP addresses.
- Connection quality. Customers can stream American TV in excellent quality if the VPN facilitates ultra-fast connection speeds. The fastest VPN providers utilize a combination of modern tunneling protocols and wide-reaching server networks to achieve that.
- Device compatibility. Most people watch TV not on computers or mobile phones but on specialized home entertainment systems. As such, we picked providers with dedicated apps for Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and router support.
- Subscription price. VPNs come in many price ranges. Luckily, unblocking American TV online doesn’t require the most expensive option. You can even get by with some of the cheapest VPNs if you don’t mind a few drawbacks.
- Security features. Although security isn’t the biggest concern when watching US TV abroad, it’s not something you should forget entirely. That’s why we picked services with essential features for protecting users. These tools include a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and ad blocking.
- Privacy practices. A VPN connection grants a certain level of privacy by default, thanks to encryption. However, absolute confidentiality is ensured if the provider is outside Nine Eyes’ jurisdiction and adheres to a strict no-logs policy. Bonus points if an independent third party audited it.
- Customer support. Unblocking US TV with a VPN is a straightforward process. However, it’s nice to have 24/7 customer support if you ever need a consultation.
Best streaming services to watch American TV online
Once you’ve picked a VPN, you’ll need to sign up for an online streaming service with exclusive American TV shows. A fair number of options are available, so it might be easier to choose one based on the available content.
|US TV streaming platform||Available content||Starting prices|
|Netflix US||Stranger Things, 30 Rock, Dexter, Parks and Recreation||$9.99/month|
|HBO Max||Friends, Westworld, The Sopranos, Euphoria||$9.99/month|
|Hulu||Bob’s Burgers, Preacher, Atlanta, Futurama||$6.99/month|
|Disney Plus||The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Moon Knight, Turning Red||$7.99/month|
|YouTube TV||The Daily Show, Young Sheldon, His Dark Materials, Chopped||$64.99/month|
|Amazon Prime Video||The Boys, The Expanse, Paper Girls, Reacher||$14.99/month|
|DAZN||MMA, Boxing, UFC||$19.99/month|
|ESPN+||NBA, MLB, NFL||$6.99/month|
Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what’s available on each platform. Plus, it’s impossible to predict where the next hit TV show will appear. Luckily, many of them offer free trials if you’d like first to test the service with your VPN provider.
How to watch American TV from anywhere
- Subscribe to a fast VPN with servers in America. We recommend NordVPN, the best provider overall
- Download the VPN software on your preferred TV-viewing device
- Connect to a server in the USA
- Launch your desired American TV streaming service and watch from anywhere!
How to watch American TV shows in Canada
Although Canadians live right next door, they can’t access American TV channels. Instead, they must contend with US TV shows on local channels like CBC, CMT, CPAC, and countless others. And while many of these channels are free, you won’t necessarily find the latest and greatest USA shows.
As such, your best chance of watching American TV in Canada is with a VPN. Plus, you’ll be able to use the same virtual private network to watch Canadian content while traveling.
How to watch American TV in Europe
American TV connoisseurs in Europe don’t have convenient access to overseas content. The situation differs from country to country and depends on what local television channels have licensed. Unsurprisingly, this usually includes older shows with completed seasons rather than fresh and ongoing content.
Luckily, you can stay on the cutting edge of US television and watch American TV shows in Europe with the help of a VPN. Best of all, virtual private networks have servers in loads of other countries, allowing you to unblock a diverse selection of foreign content.
How to watch American TV with a VPN on different devices
Widely-used devices like computers and mobile phones have easy to set up VPN applications. However, unblocking American content on other types of devices can be trickier. It might involve using Smart DNS or installing the VPN on a router. We’ll provide a few handy guides to get you on the right track.
How to watch American TV with a VPN on PC (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Pick a VPN with dedicated software for your computer’s operating system. NordVPN is the most versatile option
- Download the application from the provider’s website
- Install the VPN and connect to a server in the United States
- Open a US-exclusive streaming service’s website and start watching!
How to watch American TV with a VPN on mobile (Android, iOS)
- Sign up for a mobile-compatible virtual private network. You can use NordVPN on Android and iOS
- Search for the official VPN application on your device’s app store
- Download the software and connect to any available US server
- Install a US TV streaming app, sign up, and enjoy exclusive content!
How to watch US TV with a VPN on Kodi
- Subscribe to a VPN that supports Kodi. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Install the VPN Kodi add-on according to the provider’s instructions
- Connect to a server in the United States
- Download the add-on for your preferred American TV channel
- Tune into US channels on Kodi from anywhere!
How to watch US TV with a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Purchase a VPN with Amazon Fire TV apps. The best one is NordVPN
- Search for and download the VPN software on the Amazon Appstore
- Install it and connect to a server in the USA
- Revisit the app store and download your desired streaming app
- Sign up and enjoy American TV on Amazon Fire Stick!
How to watch US TV with a VPN on smart TVs
- Acquire a VPN that’s configurable on routers. NordVPN is a solid choice
- Set up your home router with a VPN connection through US servers
- Connect your smart TV to the reconfigured router network
- Boot up your television and tune into any US-exclusive channel
Solutions when American TV is not working with a VPN
While using a VPN to watch American TV abroad is not illegal, streaming services still restrict foreign visitors in some capacity. Virtual private network users are typically discovered when online services notice multiple connections from the same IP address. Therefore, using a dedicated IP is the best way to avoid this issue.
If that’s not up your alley, try these solutions when American TV isn’t working with a VPN.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. First, make sure your VPN connection is 100% secure and not exposing your true location. You can verify a lack of IP and DNS leaks on sites like dnsleaktest.com
- Connect to another server. If the connection is solid, perhaps the IP address is the problem. Try a new one by connecting to a different server.
- Switch between apps, browser extensions, and manual configuration. This is an odd one but worth a shot in certain scenarios. On desktop or mobile, try alternating between the dedicated VPN app, browser extension, or manual configuration with a third-party application.
- Update your software. Still nothing? Check whether any software updates are pending.
- Enable VPN masking. The last resort involves enabling VPN masking features, commonly referred to as Stealth VPN. We have an entire article dedicated to explaining how to bypass VPN blocks. This method may work, but connection speeds might slow down more than usual.
- Contact customer service. If nothing works, consider contacting your VPN provider’s customer support team. They’ll offer further assistance for your particular issue.
How to watch American TV online for free
Is it possible to combine the best of all worlds and watch American TV for free while abroad using a VPN? Theoretically, yes, but only if lady luck is on your side.
Firstly, you need to find a streaming service that offers a free trial. Popular platforms like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max have this option. After that, you have to pick between VPN no-cost plans or free trials. I recommend the second option since it’s much more reliable.
Meanwhile, the problem with free VPN services is that they’re not capable of unblocking geographically restricted streaming content. And this isn’t some unfortunate accident either. Instead, no-cost VPNs deliberately reserve this feature for paying customers.
On the other hand, free trials put their best foot forward and grant all possible benefits, including the ability to change your Netflix region. The only caveat is these benefits are temporary. Unless, of course, you decide to sign up.
A VPN for American TV can make US-exclusive shows and movies available to everyone. However, choosing the right provider is important to ensure easy content unblocking and lag-free video streaming. Plus, don’t forget about all the security and privacy benefits a virtual private network brings to the table.
Which VPN service do you use to unblock American TV abroad? Share your tips and tricks with other readers!
You may also like to read:
How to watch F1 TV Pro from anywhere
How to watch Modern family online
How to watch beIN sports online
How to change App Store country
How to play FanDuel with a VPN
Best VPNs with free trials
Best VPN for Spotify
Best VPN for travel
Can I watch American TV in the UK?
Yes, you can watch the latest American TV in the UK by using a VPN. It changes your location and allows you to access services normally restricted abroad. Remember that you’ll still have to subscribe to foreign streaming platforms to watch US TV.
How can I get American TV in Europe?
You can get American TV in Europe with the help of a VPN. This software grants you a US IP address and makes it appear that you’re located overseas. Then you’re free to use US-exclusive streaming services from Europe.
How do I get American TV on my Fire Stick?
First, you’ll need a VPN with US servers if you’re not located in America. Additionally, the virtual private network must be compatible with Amazon FireOS devices or configurable on routers. Only then can you install the VPN on your Fire Stick and access American TV channels.
Is American TV free to watch?
No, American TV isn’t free to watch for locals or foreigners alike. You need to pick a cable provider or sign up for an online television alternative, such as YouTube TV. Additionally, you’ll need a VPN with US servers to access the service while traveling abroad.
Is it legal to use a VPN with American TV?
Yes, there are no laws against using a VPN to access geo-restricted video content. However, most streaming platform terms of service mention that location-altering software is prohibited. Thankfully, there are no serious consequences if you’re caught.
What is the best VPN to watch American TV abroad?
NordVPN is the best VPN for watching American TV abroad. It has roughly 2000 servers in the USA, industry-leading connection speeds with WireGuard, and excellent device compatibility. Plus, it’s great in the security and privacy departments with its abundance of bonus features.