The Samsung Smart TV runs on Tizen OS, an open-source and Linux-based operating system used for a wide range of devices. And although it powers various everyday appliances, it doesn’t play ball with VPNs (Virtual Private Networks).
This may sound disappointing to Samsung TV users wanting to use the software to access geo-blocked movies and TV shows. Thankfully, there are other ways of utilizing a VPN for Samsung TV to curb geographical restrictions.
The key point is signing up for a high-quality provider with the right tools, namely router support or Smart DNS. Read on to learn how to get a VPN for Samsung Smart TV up and running.
How to set up a VPN on Samsung Smart TV
Shortlist of the best VPNs for Samsung TV
- The best VPN for Samsung Smart TV9.6
- Affordable Samsung TV VPN with Smart DNS9.5
- Cheap and versatile VPN for Samsung TV9.2
Why do you need a VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
TV fans across the globe are unanimously frustrated by geographical restrictions. After all, it’s unfair to pay an exorbitant subscription price and get a slimmed-down content selection because of your country of residence.
Thankfully, the best VPNs for streaming can remedy this injustice by changing your location. These tools work by directing your online traffic through remote servers, granting you an IP address from another country. This trick fools online services like Netflix into believing that you’re located elsewhere, thus granting access to geo-exclusive movies and TV shows.
Additionally, your entire connection is obfuscated with encryption, rendering it unreadable to unwelcome overseers, such as your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Furthermore, the connection becomes secure against man-in-the-middle attacks and other online threats. Best of all, there’s no downside if you pick a truly fast VPN service.
How to install a VPN on Samsung Smart TV
The most vital criterion for choosing a VPN for Samsung Smart TV is the option to install the service on the device. Unfortunately, few services can do that and provide all the aforementioned benefits.
There are three ways of utilizing a VPN on Samsung Smart TV.
- Using the Smart DNS feature.
- Setting up your home router with VPN software.
- Creating a Wi-Fi hotspot through another device.
Each method requires a specific installation process. We’ll introduce you to the necessary steps below.
Set up through Smart DNS
Only a few VPNs (e.g., NordVPN, Surfshark VPN) support Smart DNS. The primary focus of this feature is to unblock geo-restricted content while maintaining top-notch connectivity. That means it lacks encryption and thus doesn’t protect your device like a conventional VPN connection. However, the upside is that it works with streaming devices that don’t support virtual private networks. Here’s how to get it up and running.
- Subscribe to a VPN that supports Smart DNS. NordVPN is the leading provider in this regard
- Enable Smart DNS by visiting the provider’s website. You’ll need to whitelist your TV’s IP address and note the VPNs DNS address.
- Change your TV’s DNS addresses with the VPNs in the network settings menu.
- Stream exclusive content on Samsung Smart TV without hassle!
Set up through router
Most VPNs offer router firmware so customers can secure their entire home networks. Naturally, this method will cover your entertainment needs by changing your Samsung Smart TV location. But keep in mind that all devices connected to the router will share the same virtual location. If you can live with that, follow these instructions.
- Purchase a VPN service that’s compatible with your home router. NordVPN is the most versatile option
- Open your router’s settings by inputting its IP address in a web browser
- Set up the VPN software on the router by following your provider’s instructions
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the newly-configured router network
- Watch exotic movies and TV shows on the big screen!
Set up through a mobile hotspot
The final method is doable with practically any VPN service. It involves installing the VPN on another device and creating a mobile hotspot. As you can imagine, this works best with computers and mobile phones. Try this method if you don’t mind involving multiple devices in your streaming setup.
- Sign up for a VPN that supports your preferred desktop and mobile operating systems. I would recommend NordVPN
- Download the VPN app and connect to any server location
- Go to the network settings of your device and create a mobile hotspot
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the Wi-Fi hotspot you created
- Enjoy foreign content from the comfort of your home!
Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Customer priorities may vary, but most VPNs for Samsung Smart TV should provide swift connection speeds and reliable geo-unblocking capabilities. These are the essential pillars of a pleasant streaming experience.
On the other hand, it’s advisable to purchase a VPN that’s well-rounded and useful in many situations. That means paying attention if certain digital security features are available, such as:
These perks will serve you well even if your only goal is unblocking exotic movies on your Samsung TV. Check out our 5 recommended providers and pick one that seems the most appealing to you.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
24/7 live chat, Email
- Market-leading connection speeds
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Excellent choice for streaming
- Only six simultaneous connections
The ultimate way of squeezing the most potential from your Samsung Smart TV is NordVPN. It supports all three installation methods, provides industry-leading connectivity, and works with numerous streaming platforms. Get it now for $2.99/month or snag a 7-day NordVPN trial first.
NordVPN covers 60+ countries with 5800+ RAM-only servers. The fleet includes specialized categories, such as P2P, Onion over VPN, double VPN, and obfuscated locations. On the other hand, blazing-fast connections are conducted with the proprietary NordLynx protocol or age-old OpenVPN.
Movie and TV fans can unblock content on any device with NordVPN, thanks to the one-of-a-kind SmartPlay feature. It combines the benefits of Smart DNS with VPN encryption. The service was extensively tested and works with Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and numerous other streaming services.
Using the NordVPN app also grants unrivaled digital security via the Threat Protection tool. It blocks ads, trackers, and acts as an antivirus tool. Lastly, your privacy is guaranteed because the service operates from Panama and boasts multiple independent audits.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – affordable Samsung TV VPN with Smart DNS
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Great country variety
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark is an extremely well-priced VPN for Samsung TV with an extraordinary number of benefits. It has Smart DNS, router compatibility, unlimited connections, and wicked-fast connection speeds. All that and more for $2.21/month starting prices. Alternatively, grab the 7-day Surfshark trial for a test run.
Customers can choose from over 3200 servers across a whopping 100+ countries. The entire fleet is RAM-only and utilizes unique SDN (Software Defined Networking) technology for improved performance. Additionally, tunneling protocol options include WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2.
This VPN is an excellent choice for foreign content connoisseurs because of its country diversity and compatibility with streaming services. Specifically, Surfshark works well with HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
Besides that, the app grants numerous security features, too, such as CleanWeb and NoBorders mode. The former wipes away ads and trackers, while the latter can bypass VPN restrictions.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap and versatile VPN for Samsung TV
24/7 live chat
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Port forwarding for better connectivity
- Good security features
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN is a well-performing and affordable alternative for Samsung TV. It’s also well-rounded with its arsenal of cybersecurity and torrenting-focused features. Subscriptions start at $2.00/month or you can get a 7-day free trial by asking customer service.
The service operates a humble network of 200+ servers across 63+ countries. Meanwhile, connections run on a combination of the OpenVPNtunneling protocol and HQN (High Quality Network) technology.
Although PrivateVPN lacks Smart DNS, it supports manual router configuration as an alternative. Plus, you can use one account to secure up to 10 different devices simultaneously. You’ll be happy to know that the service supports desktop computers, mobile phones, Android TV, and Amazon FireOS devices.
The PrivateVPN comes with Application Guard, which will shut off selected apps if the VPN suddenly stops working. Additionally, Stealth VPN is available for getting around restrictions against virtual private network traffic.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. PureVPN – fast and budget-friendly Samsung TV VPN
24/7 live chat
- Swift speeds with WireGuard
- 10 connections with one account
- Quantum-resistant encryption
- Some features cost extra
PureVPN is another budget-friendly and worthwhile VPN for Samsung TV. With meager $2.08/month starting prices, this service offers WireGuard-powered connections, quantum-resistant encryption, and excellent device compatibility.
Customers can connect to over 6500 servers across 71+ countries. The network isn’t fully physical and relies on virtualization to expand the number of supported countries. Besides that, most servers support 10 Gbps speeds, and users can aim for that with the WireGuard protocol.
You’ll have no trouble setting up PureVPN on your home router using the DD-WRT router applet. If that’s not your thing, remember that one account supports 10 simultaneous connections. Plus, the service has dedicated apps for Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Chromebook, and more.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
5. Proton VPN – excellent Samsung Smart TV VPN for privacy
Email, knowledge base
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Ultra-fast with WireGuard and VPN Accelerator
- Above-average price
Want top-notch privacy for your Samsung TV activities? Proton VPN is an excellent choice in this regard! The Swiss-based provider supports manual router configuration, guarantees lightning-fast speed, and grants loads of extra features. However, all these perks come with a hefty price tag of $3.99/month. Alternatively, you can get started with the unlimited free plan.
The network contains 3000+ servers across 69+ countries. Fast connection speeds between them are provided with WireGuard and the proprietary VPN Accelerator. The latter perk reduces various inefficiencies and has a noticeable performance boost when connecting to far-away locations.
Proton VPN offers unrivaled privacy because the service boasts an independently-audited no-logs policy, Swiss jurisdiction, and open-source software. The same trustworthy developers also created services for encrypted email, cloud storage, and online calendars. However, it’s important to note that this privacy-focused provider isn’t the best regarding video content unblocking.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
How we selected VPNs for Samsung TV
Here’s a detailed breakdown of what aspects we considered when compiling the list of best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV.
- Device compatibility. It’s not worth opting for VPN services without multiple ways of setup for smart TVs. Plus, a worthwhile provider should support multiple simultaneous connections with one account, ideally for a diverse device fleet.
- Connection speed. Streaming video in 4K can be a data-intensive task, especially if you’re connecting to VPN servers across the globe. As such, you’ll want your Samsung Smart TV VPN to be as fast as possible to guarantee lag-free connectivity.
- Server network. The most exciting geo-blocked movies and TV shows are scattered worldwide. That means VPNs with the greatest region diversity can potentially unlock a great deal of content.
- Security features. The cybersecurity benefits of a VPN shouldn’t be overlooked, even if your primary goal is curbing geo-restrictions. Plus, a solid backbone of features is crucial for hiding your IP address and unlocking content effectively.
- Privacy practices. A VPN on your home router can be disastrous if it’s logging all your online activities. That’s why we selected zero-logs VPNs with privacy-friendly jurisdictions and third-party audits.
- Subscription price. Perhaps people who can afford smart TVs aren’t against the idea of spending more to unlock the device’s full potential. After all, the best VPNs for streaming are premium, not free.
- Customer support options. Setting up a VPN on a smart TV can be tricky, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s why excellent customer service options are essential.
VPN is not working on Samsung Smart TV: solution
There’s a small chance your VPN won’t immediately work with Samsung Smart TV. This problem can arise from a faulty installation or issues with the streaming platform you’re trying to unblock. Here are a few fixes you can try before reaching out to customer service.
- Make sure your IP address on Samsung TV has changed. Go to your TVs network settings and ensure that the IP address actually changed to a different one.
- Check for DNS leaks. A faulty VPN connection can expose your true location by leaking DNS requests. Use a website like dnsleaktest.com to ensure that your VPN tunnel is airtight.
- Switch to another server. Streaming services try to limit the influence of VPNs by blocking their server IP addresses. This practice can cause issues when trying to change your Netflix region. Thankfully, you can easily get a new one by connecting to another server.
- Update your software. Make sure you’re using the latest version of your VPN to get the best possible results.
Is it possible to find the best free VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
You might be under the impression that buying a VPN for your TV is unnecessary when free services are available. But the sad reality is that even the best free VPN providers aren’t suitable for Samsung Smart TV. Here are a few reasons why.
- No router firmware
- Slow connection speeds
- Can’t unblock geo-restricted streaming content
- Monthly data caps
- Abysmal server selection
- Inferior security features
A free VPN for Samsung TV will do practically nothing beneficial except change your IP address. Additionally, the most heinous costless services overpromise, underdeliver, and collect excess data about you. Then they sell that information to offset the fact that you’re not paying anything.
In conclusion, there’s no chance of finding the best free VPN for Samsung Smart TV because that’s impossible. No high-quality provider will provide its services free of charge, especially for such a device. As such, your best bet is to utilize a VPN with a trial period. Once you see how splendidly a certain provider works, you’ll see the benefit of signing up for a premium subscription.
Only a handful of VPNs are suitable for Samsung Smart TV because the services must contain some hard-to-achieve features. For example, you need router compatibility, excellent connection speeds, and top-notch geo-block removal capabilities. Without these, you’ll have to deal with laggy video and little access to foreign movies and TV shows.
Don’t waste your time with sub-par providers, and go with NordVPN, the best VPN for Samsung TV!
How’s your experience with VPNs and smart TVs? Have you tried our recommended providers? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment!
Can I put a VPN on my Samsung Smart TV?
No, you can’t install a VPN app directly on Samsung Smart TV because its operating system doesn’t support such software. Instead, you’ll need to use alternative setup methods (router configuration, Smart DNS, or hotspot sharing).
How do I get a free VPN on my Samsung TV?
You can’t get a free VPN on Samsung TV because the device doesn’t support such software. However, alternative installation methods exist, such as configuring your home router with a VPN or via Smart DNS. Unfortunately, free VPNs don’t provide these features.
Does Samsung TV have a built-in VPN?
No, Samsung TVs don’t have built-in VPNs and don’t support any virtual private network software. That means you’ll need to utilize other installation methods to get their geo-block removal benefits.
What is the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV. You can utilize it on your home entertainment device via SmartPlay, router configuration, or hotspot creation. The service provides industry-leading connection speeds and thousands of servers for unblocking exclusive video content on many streaming platforms.